We want, Jose Fonte!

Charlie Wayman

If he doesn't get to start tomorrow night how about we encourage Puel with fan power and this simple chant;

We Want

Jose Fonte!

It wasn't long ago that our mass choir's "swing him from the Itchen Bridge" saw the back of the universally hated one.

It would also be a reminder to Jose where his loyalties should lie.

Come on Northam, do your stuff!

Jose would love to be playing in these big games and I hope he plays tomorrow

He has been with us since league 1 and deserves to play in these big games

In all honesty I think his treatment from Puel and the club has been disgusting

I agree i think we should pick our teams by seeing which player gets in the biggest strop gets to play

I agree i think we should pick our teams by seeing which player gets in the biggest strop gets to play

Oh come on - Fonte is our captain, he's done us proud throughout his 7 years here

He's done the nasty stuff (Carlisle away etc) and having contributed so much to get us into Europe he deserved his stage

He should be in the team on merit and out of respect - nothing to do with strops

Oh come on - Fonte is our captain, he's done us proud throughout his 7 years here

He's done the nasty stuff (Carlisle away etc) and having contributed so much to get us into Europe he deserved his stage

He should be in the team on merit and out of respect - nothing to do with strops

I don't think he's been at all good enough this season. By your logic, we'd still have Rickie and Guly up front with Papa Waigo in behind, since they've 'done their part' in the past.

So have the Liebherr family and Les Reed but you seem to spend most of your time slagging them off !

:mcinnes:

Jose would love to be playing in these big games and I hope he plays tomorrow

He has been with us since league 1 and deserves to play in these big games

In all honesty I think his treatment from Puel and the club has been disgusting

Ha ha ha ha ha ha...you do have are record of posting hilarious nonsense and this one is right up there with the "best" of them

Can see both sides of the argument in this one.

A player who isn't getting any younger, probably with his best days behind him.

A player who has been magnificent for us and extremely loyal.

Personally, I would offer him an extra year as a reward for his service. If he chooses not to take it, then he could leave with the club's best wishes.

Can see both sides of the argument in this one.

A player who isn't getting any younger, probably with his best days behind him.

A player who has been magnificent for us and extremely loyal.

Personally, I would offer him an extra year as a reward for his service. If he chooses not to take it, then he could leave with the club's best wishes.

So in addition to making him a millionaire, we give extra reward whether he plays or not?

I don't recall getting a years extra salary as a reward merely for my service.

But it is football and totally different standards apply when compared to us mere mortals who pay out of our earned pay packets to watch, I suppose.

I personally don't think Fonte has been as bad as some people on this forum have been making out. He's still far better than Yoshida, which is why he plays the league games.

Nope but the professionals on here compare Yoshi's performances against Arsenal reserves, Palace reserves and Sunderland to Fonte playing against Man C, Liverpool and Man United in the premier league

Despite playing against lesser opposition Yoshi also has LESS tackles, LESS interceptions, LOWER passing accuracy and LESS clearances - non of these are valid stats though as Fonte might want to join Man United

Fonte hasn't been his previous best under Puel (a number are struggling with his style it seems) but to say he's now dropped below Yoshi is embarrassing.

It seems to me Jose has not been the player he was since his Euro success and the apparent interest from Man U.

It is about time the players spent a couple of weeks working alongside the fans that adore them, see how they have to live so that they can get in their 10+ year old cars and chug up to away games, making sacrifices to pay for tickets , fuel food to get t matches and then see the players they adore not bother to play and then moan as they cant get a wage rise on the contracts they signed at 40k+ a week.

Maldini said if he had to make a tackle then he had made a mistake. A player that regular tries to play forward passes will have lower accuracy than a player who plays it a yard to a team mate. Yoshida may make less clearances as the team is more solid with him in so has less to do. Stats without context are meaningless

It seems to me Jose has not been the player he was since his Euro success and the apparent interest from Man U.

It is about time the players spent a couple of weeks working alongside the fans that adore them, see how they have to live so that they can get in their 10+ year old cars and chug up to away games, making sacrifices to pay for tickets , fuel food to get t matches and then see the players they adore not bother to play and then moan as they cant get a wage rise on the contracts they signed at 40k+ a week.

Spot on Old Nick. Fonte was given a contract extension and has been offered a further pay rise. If he really wants to spend the next two years on someones bench then good luck to him. If the situation is as stated by him he should play no further part for Saints. Take whatever money is offered and move on. (Yoshida has looked quite good this season!)

Nope but the professionals on here compare Yoshi's performances against Arsenal reserves, Palace reserves and Sunderland to Fonte playing against Man C, Liverpool and Man United in the premier league

Despite playing against lesser opposition Yoshi also has LESS tackles, LESS interceptions, LOWER passing accuracy and LESS clearances - non of these are valid stats though as Fonte might want to join Man United

Fonte hasn't been his previous best under Puel (a number are struggling with his style it seems) but to say he's now dropped below Yoshi is embarrassing.

Best to ignore the turncoats on here. Once they turn against one of our players, they really turn against him, no matter how good he is.

Jose Fonte has a long way to go yet. During the early stages of the euros when Portugal looked lousy over here we were screaming for Fernando Santos the manager to take off Ricardo Carvalho and put on Jose Fonte. Eventually he did just this and soon enough the defence was reorganised and the rest is history. Carvalho is 39 years old. Fonte is fit and extremely loyal to Southampton. I can understand he would want a renewed contract and hopefully go into management. He is a wonderful ambassador for Southampton and Portugal. It was one of the reasons Cedric came to us.

Surely the club can offer a longer contract - with compensation partly conditional on appearances. It's not an either/or.

I get the impression Les isn't that flexible when it comes to negotiations with players and managers. It was more likely a take it or leave it and the club offer.

I know that it's unlikely!

My ideal scenario is a smooth transition between Jose and Virgil. I like Yoshida and I think Virg brings the best out of him the way that Jo has with many others. I would like to see a little evolution rather than revolution occasionally.

Jose is clearly Puels man to play with VvD, but Puel obviously believes he can't play 2 games a week and remain as effective as he is. He's decided to take the entirely sensible approach to play Yoshida in the Europa league instead. We should be able to beat the Israelis without him on Thursday, and if we do it's very much "job done". Out of the group stages, in a semi final and Jose Fonte still fit to play. I really don't see what people's issue is. Once we get into the knock out stages Puel may decide to play our strongest side and if he does, Jose will play.

The bloke is still a good player, who forms a good partnership with VvD. Yes, he may have tipped slightly over the hill, but he's still an assest to the side . It's no coincidence Lovren, Toby and VvD settled so well at the club. Saying that, he's been a little bit out of order questioning Puels Europa league policy. I could understand his frustration if we were getting near to the final, but he must know the score and what Puel is trying to do. As captain, maybe he should have kept quiet over this.

As for selling him . It's very much a heart/head thing for me. My head says sell in Jan if we get a decent offer, but my heart would love to see him finish his career here. He is after all " last man standing" from league 1 .

Jose is clearly Puels man to play with VvD, but Puel obviously believes he can't play 2 games a week and remain as effective as he is. He's decided to take the entirely sensible approach to play Yoshida in the Europa league instead. We should be able to beat the Israelis without him on Thursday, and if we do it's very much "job done". Out of the group stages, in a semi final and Jose Fonte still fit to play. I really don't see what people's issue is. Once we get into the knock out stages Puel may decide to play our strongest side and if he does, Jose will play.

The bloke is still a good player, who forms a good partnership with VvD. Yes, he may have tipped slightly over the hill, but he's still an assest to the side . It's no coincidence Lovren, Toby and VvD settled so well at the club. Saying that, he's been a little bit out of order questioning Puels Europa league policy. I could understand his frustration if we were getting near to the final, but he must know the score and what Puel is trying to do. As captain, maybe he should have kept quiet over this.

As for selling him . It's very much a heart/head thing for me. My head says sell in Jan if we get a decent offer, but my heart would love to see him finish his career here. He is after all " last man standing" from league 1 .

You speak a lot of sense when not posting on the politics threads;-)

Irrespective of whether he's here next year or not, am I alone in hoping there's a bit of Saints media manipulation at work? Keep the fans thinking he's not so likely to play tonight, and that he's a loyal servant being treated badly by the club, then see them raise the roof when he leads his team out for what's almost a critical must-win match?

So in addition to making him a millionaire, we give extra reward whether he plays or not?

I don't recall getting a years extra salary as a reward merely for my service.

But it is football and totally different standards apply when compared to us mere mortals who pay out of our earned pay packets to watch, I suppose.

He's still a decent player.

Your reward for loyal service is a free Big Mac brother. Don't forget it.

Disgusting treatment now includes offering people a pay rise?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Its idiots like you that keep swalling the PR crap from the club which encourages/enables them to get away with it. The treatment of Jose is appalling. He clearly wants to be here and he clearly wants to play in these games.

You probably believe that every single player we've sold since Poch left was a "bad-un" and the club were perfectly right to get rid of them, or had no choice, etc etc... Just like with Koeman, Les Reed wants rid. Hopefully this time the fans will use their brain cells and see it for what it is.

If the club offered him a pay rise when what he really wanted was a 1 year extension you have to wonder why they didn't just offer him the extension and no pay rise... pretty much costs the same. Likewise why would he turn down a "no strings attached" pay rise?!?!?

Looks like he is being forced out at the moment, and that ties in with some of the more interesting articles that have come out.

Its idiots like you that keep swalling the PR crap from the club which encourages/enables them to get away with it. The treatment of Jose is appalling. He clearly wants to be here and he clearly wants to play in these games.

You probably believe that every single player we've sold since Poch left was a "bad-un" and the club were perfectly right to get rid of them, or had no choice, etc etc... Just like with Koeman, Les Reed wants rid. Hopefully this time the fans will use their brain cells and see it for what it is.

If the club offered him a pay rise when what he really wanted was a 1 year extension you have to wonder why they didn't just offer him the extension and no pay rise... pretty much costs the same. Likewise why would he turn down a "no strings attached" pay rise?!?!?

Looks like he is being forced out at the moment, and that ties in with some of the more interesting articles that have come out.

Fonte says. "They offered me a pay rise but no extension"

Club says. "contracts are a private matter."

You are absolutely correct that I must be 'swalling' the clubs crap . Thankyou for your insight.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

In the 8 cup games Yoshida has played in, we conceded as many goals as we did with Fonte against Palace.

Not exactly an endorsement for change IMO.

You can't blame Palace on Jose alone !! The whole team were crap !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the 8 cup games Yoshida has played in, we conceded as many goals as we did with Fonte against Palace.

Not exactly an endorsement for change IMO.

You can't blame Palace on Jose alone !! The whole team were crap !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was surprised Fonte didn't get the chance to play in the San Siro. I would guess he would be annoyed at missing the opportunity. I know I would, but in general I think Puel has been wise to rest him during the Europa Cup. In the end, the season as a whole matters more.

As regards his contract. It makes total sense to me that he is not offered an extension in terms of years. He will be five months from his 35th birthday when his current contact ends. Do we really want to paying a 35/36 year old £80k, £90k or perhaps more a week?

For once we hold the cards. We have him signed on a contract that is just long enough to see the best of him. After that we can offer a one year deal if he is still playing well. If he has faded we can let him go wherever he wants. The club gave the right deal at the right time.

If he wants to go elsewhere now that's up to him. But remember, he signed his current contract with us. No one forced him to. We've offered him more money - we didn't have to do that, but the club values his role at this moment and is willing to reward accordingly. What they are not going to do is hand out a contract extension that means he is earning a shed load of money, but possibly (due to his age) not able to put the performances in that warrant that wage. The club has it spot on IMO.

We don't want an unhappy player, but if he thinks he deserves an extra year, then earn it over the next 18 months. Come then end of his current deal if he is playing well he will get another contract either with us or someone else.

Everyone says football is a business these days (which I hate, but I guess its true), well this is just business.

Edited by Chez