Saints 1 Hapoel Be'er Sheva 1 - Match & Meltdown Thread

St Chalet

I am sure at one point, one of players were down from a challenge. All of our players looked deflated, and was wondering why we didn't get given a free kick. VVD signaled for the player to get back to his feet. The ref hadn't called it, so we can't be caught sleeping. If only we could keep, he is our best player by a mile. Just after half time, I said to my mate, it would not be a bad ida to move him into a Midfield position (I know not his position, but I think he can do a half decent job there) but his leadership would then rub off, plus I think he could actually influence play from there too.

I am absolutely spitting with rage.

Right from kick off we were awful. Players just standing around watching the play, no one running, making space for the pass. Absolutely no runners into the box from midfield. Austin looked knackered before he kicked the ball.

Redmond...... seriously this is now a major issue. Makes lovely little runs on the ball, ties the defender up in knots and then F£CKING STANDS STILL ON THE EDGE OF THE BOX LOOKING TO PASS only there's no b@$tard to pass to because all the midfield are sitting back waiting to pass the ball back to Forster so he can have another go at slicing it into the directors box. Note for Claude: I watched this happen at least FIVE TIMES tonight. Either Redmond needs to p!ss off and leave the ball alone or the midfield need to be flooding the box because there's knack all point crossing to Austin when he's got three defenders crawling all over him. If this doesn't change, the f£cking skates will be back in the PL before we ever work a goal through Redmond.

Ifs all very nice wanting to keep possession and play this tippy tappy rubbish but it won't work if players off the ball don't actually move and create passing options.

Southampton are a premiership side. That means players should know their position and the job required, and be able to make a decent attempt at every other position on the pitch. There is enough money available that the quality of players bought should be a cut above the rest. Shrugged shoulders, players pointing out to other players where they should be standing etc are completely unacceptable at this level.

I don't give a flying brass monkeys left nut what is going on with Fonte - he is paid to do a job and tonight he should have been on the pitch doing it. No excuses.

Possession football.... no damn good if we aren't getting results from it. I completely get why the ball is worked up one side and then comes back because nothing is on. BUT THAT IS ALL THAT WILL HAPPEN IF PLAYERS DONT MAKE RUNS INTO THE BOX.

Yet again the opposition have had one shot on target, got the goal and Yet again another major result goes against Saints. Possession is less than useless if this is the result.

**** off..

Thanks for putting into words exactly how I feel. Your post at least reassured me someone is feeling my pain.

If anyone knows that utter f*cking nonce at the front of the northam in the face paint and top hat can they please tell him to sort himself out. He's a f*cking mess and an embarrassment to our club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If anyone knows that utter f*cking nonce at the front of the northam in the face paint and top hat can they please tell him to sort himself out. He's a f*cking mess and an embarrassment to our club.

Looked like a wrong'un to me.

Totally agree. If he gets injured we are ****ed.

Or sold...

Don't worry, the black box has our back. After all, when we lost Mane we wondered if he could be replaced and we ended up with the next Thierry Henry. Pretty sure I saw Henry use both feet from time to time though...

Nothing to add really, which hasn't already been said. We've essentially failed to score in 4 out of 6 games, so we don't deserve to go through. In fact since the opening game, only our centre half has managed a goal.

We are just crap at attacking. I thought Redmond would be a half decent squad player, instead we're building the f**king team around him. Austin looked adrift from the rest of the game before the injury, Long was as hopeless as ever when he came on. Sims had a poor game and what happened to that player we signed from Bayern?

We played tonight without plan or purpose, passion or belief and for all the world it looked like the senior players had to make up their own game plans as they went along. Cedric ran and crossed, Bertie tried to be everywhere at once to work out his frustration. Redmond did what Redmond always does better than any other winger in the PL, made a right pigs-ear of everything he tried. Worse player of the match was he closely followed by Hojberg.

Claude Puel failed tonight as he has failed so many times recently, seemingly tactically naive and unable to change the pattern of play at all. No doubt questions will be asked in the morning, if they have a name or two in mind he could be sitting very uncomfortably on Sunday. I think I've seen enough now to stop believing that he can stop our slide; if he does go let's hope Black goes with him.

Only thing to blame for us being out of Europe is a lack of a clinical edge. Anything else anyone is moaning about is utter ********.

Also that lack of clinical edge could not be forseen so I'm only blaming the actual application of that, and a lot of that goes to Long and Rodriguez. Both of whom have had more than enough chances this season to look like being able to put the ball in the net and neither have stepped up. The board were right to not bring in another striker in the summer IMO as Long had begun to prove himself last year and Rodriguez was right to be given a chance. Austin has stepped up but Long and Rodriguez haven't. VVD has missed some sitters in the competition as well by the way which any one of would have put us through in hindsight but these two especially have been poor. Neither can have any complaints if replaced in January.

Puel, tactics, desire, Redmond, or whatever anyone else moans about can not be held responsible for the simple fact that a little more of a cutting edge and we'd be through. We've not been outclassed by anyone, we've not been out played by anyone, we've not been tactically outdone in any game, we've simply lacked a cutting edge and it's cost us. The decision making from young players like Redmond can be blamed but he's going to be frustrating, he's 21 ffs. Experienced players like Long and Rodriguez need to step up when given a chance, and they can moan about not being given enough football but that's football nowadays and someone like Austin has dealt with it and delivered when given a chance. These two haven't.

That's where my frustration lies, we were so close, basically a goal away and it's not like we haven't had the chances to score that goal, we've not taken them. That's where we'll learn and next time we get in this competition we'll be stronger for it. We need to be more clinical and it really needs to be addressed in January.

Why has no one filled this cu*t in yet. Given our performance tonight I'd have expected some reaction twards him.

Why does he think it's funny?

Only thing to blame for us being out of Europe is a lack of a clinical edge. Anything else anyone is moaning about is utter ********.

Also that lack of clinical edge could not be forseen so I'm only blaming the actual application of that, and a lot of that goes to Long and Rodriguez. Both of whom have had more than enough chances this season to look like being able to put the ball in the net and neither have stepped up. The board were right to not bring in another striker in the summer IMO as Long had begun to prove himself last year and Rodriguez was right to be given a chance. Austin has stepped up but Long and Rodriguez haven't. VVD has missed some sitters in the competition as well by the way which any one of would have put us through in hindsight but these two especially have been poor. Neither can have any complaints if replaced in January.

Puel, tactics, desire, Redmond, or whatever anyone else moans about can not be held responsible for the simple fact that a little more of a cutting edge and we'd be through. We've not been outclassed by anyone, we've not been out played by anyone, we've not been tactically outdone in any game, we've simply lacked a cutting edge and it's cost us. The decision making from young players like Redmond can be blamed but he's going to be frustrating, he's 21 ffs. Experienced players like Long and Rodriguez need to step up when given a chance, and they can moan about not being given enough football but that's football nowadays and someone like Austin has dealt with it and delivered when given a chance. These two haven't.

That's where my frustration lies, we were so close, basically a goal away and it's not like we haven't had the chances to score that goal, we've not taken them. That's where we'll learn and next time we get in this competition we'll be stronger for it. We need to be more clinical and it really needs to be addressed in January.

Pretty much. We had the players out there capable of doing the job, and they bottled it. Moan about the lack of end product, but who was making an effort to create anything? Bertrand's crossing was garbage. Cedric put in a few but otherwise average, and we didn't seem to want to run at them through the middle. **** it. No point crying now as it's done.

Move on to the next disappointment.

As for the manager, he was brought in to guide us through this competition, and he has failed. Going to have to put together a pretty decent league campaign from here, plus hopefully a League Cup final at least. We shall see.

UEFA are C U N T S for the ridiculous head to head rule. We are 2nd by rights. Filthy f uc kin g c u nts

It's not fair that Norwich get home advantage for the FA Cup game but rules are rules, we were aware of them before the match. We can only blame ourselves, couldn't beat HBS in either game.

He had two great heading opportunities late, but neither of them were sitters. VVD missed a similar header early in the 2nd half.

If VVD had taken the chances that came his way in Israel and Milan we'd have been through before tonight.

Should of bought Jermaine DerF***ingFoe years ago. No chance he will come in January now as S'lund need him for the fight.

Saying that, we would probably starve him of service too at the moment.

Ah well, at least there is the lovely Jessica off the Apprentice to gush over to drown our sorrows.

Just me then? Oh!

Onwards fellow Saints!!!

Get over it. I personally think it's much fairer. We played them twice and lost to them on away goals on aggregate. Perfectly fair that they go trough over us.

Here's my counterpoint: the goal difference rule encourages goal scoring and rewards overall better group play. The away goals rule is not my favourite thing. Still, rules are rules.

Leave Turkish alone please, he enjoys it and he can't help it.

Stayed off here deliberately for a few hours to calm down as I might have vented my spleen.

Complete and utter disgrace. As others I skim read on the way down comment, we don;t seem to have a game plan. In the words of Alan Sugar on the other side: "so what's your bleedin' strategy? Just hope it works out?" I honestly don't know if we were playing for a nil nil, or hoping to nick it at the end. Absolutely hopeless. Only VVD seems capable. We need to clone him and play him in goal, defense, midfield and attack. Repetitious balls out wide to Bertrand and Cedric, they cross it aimlessly to our front three - 5'4", 5'6" and 5'7" - do we seriously think they are going to get headers in? Park football.

If this was a card game, I'd throw my hand in, miss a turn and start again.

And how much more of this tippy tappy tikka takka possession football can we take? I don;t care we have 70% possession if we only make 2 attempts on goal all game. Fonte will want out, another dozen should be shipped out. Honestly we could be relegated yet this season. Something has to change - the players or tactics. That was like warm beer tonight. Worst I have seen in my 50 years, seriously.

Cobblers!

And to be honest both centre backs were the most threatening players in their box over the 90mins.

Still on the bright side I won't have to shell out heaps of money on anymore trips to foreign cities for the rest of the season.

To be honest it says how ****e we've been from an attacking pov when one of our CBs is always considered for MOTM.

Excellent post. I would add that there have been a couple of games where we haven't displayed enough urgency going forward until it was too late but by and large it's been our finishing that has cost us all season.

I've never understood the love in that some have had for Hojberg on here. I've seen very little from him that makes me think he's going to be anything but a squad player and as for Redmond, he was shocking this evening. I'm sure Boufal will come good and he should be first choice ahead of Redmond IMHO and I'd prefer JWP over Hojberg any day of the week. Not sure you can blame lack of strikers, it's a lack of ability to deliver a decent ball to the striker that's the problem. Time and time again Redmond (in particular) lost the ball of the edge of the box when there were opportunities to get the ball into the box and Bertrand's crossing was horrendous tonight.

We need to stop playing players that aren't good enough (Hojberg and Redmond) and let's have a good go at Middlesbrough.

Here's my counterpoint: the goal difference rule encourages goal scoring and rewards overall better group play. The away goals rule is not my favourite thing. Still, rules are rules.

The goal difference rule is extremely dumb and leaves matches vulnerable to getting fixed. It is a huge risk as in game 6 the bottom side might be played five lost five. This method is much fairer regardless

I've never understood the love in that some have had for Hojberg on here. I've seen very little from him that makes me think he's going to be anything but a squad player and as for Redmond, he was shocking this evening. I'm sure Boufal will come good and he should be first choice ahead of Redmond IMHO and I'd prefer JWP over Hojberg any day of the week. Not sure you can blame lack of strikers, it's a lack of ability to deliver a decent ball to the striker that's the problem. Time and time again Redmond (in particular) lost the ball of the edge of the box when there were opportunities to get the ball into the box and Bertrand's crossing was horrendous tonight.

We need to stop playing players that aren't good enough (Hojberg and Redmond) and let's have a good go at Middlesbrough.

I like JWP a lot in this system, feel he hasn't had enough chances. Especially considering we miss out on his set pieces when he doesn't play. Hojbjeg would be best suited to 4231 as DM next to Romeu

Stayed off here deliberately for a few hours to calm down as I might have vented my spleen.

Complete and utter disgrace. As others I skim read on the way down comment, we don;t seem to have a game plan. In the words of Alan Sugar on the other side: "so what's your bleedin' strategy? Just hope it works out?" I honestly don't know if we were playing for a nil nil, or hoping to nick it at the end. Absolutely hopeless. Only VVD seems capable. We need to clone him and play him in goal, defense, midfield and attack. Repetitious balls out wide to Bertrand and Cedric, they cross it aimlessly to our front three - 5'4", 5'6" and 5'7" - do we seriously think they are going to get headers in? Park football.

And how much more of this tippy tappy tikka takka possession football can we take? I don;t care we have 70% possession if we only make 2 attempts on goal all game. Fonte will want out, another dozen should be shipped out. Honestly we could be relegated yet this season. Something has to change - the players or tactics. That was like warm beer tonight. Worst I have seen in my 50 years, seriously.

You need a trip to the opticians for glasses or seriously thick and struggle with perception and lack of knowledge. Austin is 6ft 2 and strong in the air: Long replaced him and Long is 5ft 11 with a huge spring. The other two are about 5ft 8. Don't just write nonsense.

If I was Vvd I'd have been on the phone to my agent the minute I got home telling him to get me out of here , on another note have we got an update on Austins injury?

If I was VvD I'd be thinking , had I scored an absolute sitter in Israel , or an easy chance in Milan or an easy chance in Prague , we'd have qualified

Wow.

Exactly my thoughts too.

Can't blame Puel for the missed chances in Inter; VvDs miss in Israel and Yoshida's tonight. We're a bit slow moving the ball at times and that might be deliberate (can't think why) but overall, its our missed chances that has caused us going out. The amount of grief Redmond gets is unreal. He's young. He'll improve. Jesus, its even what we are known for. Sims was 10x worse today and gets a standing ovation (I'm not saying he shouldn't be encouraged either).

The booing of Redmond in the Northam at the end was completely and utterly wrong.

The goal difference rule is extremely dumb and leaves matches vulnerable to getting fixed. It is a huge risk as in game 6 the bottom side might be played five lost five. This method is much fairer regardless

Maybe, but f*cking typical that the only time it's used is when it's to our detriment. It's the play-offs V Derby with no away goals all over again.

Also, what was all that with the fake penalty in the first half. Ref blew and pointed right at the spot, half the ground thought he'd given it but was actually indicting for offside.

Just half the crowd not paying attention, I was sat in the Northam and spotted the offside before he'd even blown. He wasn't pointing to the spot - he was pointing along the line, as refs always do when signalling offside.

Worst game in fifty years? Do you remember 2009? Maybe should have taken a few more hours before posting.

Wasn't able to watch the match as it wasn't shown in NZ. Judging by all the comments, I was the lucky one. An entirely predictable performance by the sound of it. Sit back and defend and hope to not concede as we don't have any goalscorers up front. Poor old Virgil, he must be so frustrated. Good luck wherever he goes, he's the only one who consistently performs and deserves to be a part of a team that wants to succeed. Out of Europe, soon to be out of the League Cup, FA Cup a false hope, so now it's full concentration on avoiding relegation!

So the cautious approach proves too risky and fatal yet again. When will Puel grow a pair and let the midfield support the attack? Someone mentioned above five occasions they had spotted where Redmond could have delivered a telling pass but all the midfielders were 30 yards back up the pitch. A number of times the ball came out of the area and their defence was able to chase it down and recover the ball 10-20 yards outside the box down the middle. Where the hell are our midfielders? On the ****ing half way line, that's where. Puel out. I have had enough. Let someone else have a crack at Liverpool. Had enough of this style of football.