Puel out

Lastman73

Cedric, VvD, Bertrand, Jrod, Tadic and Forster have all been linked to top sides in recent weeks

depends on if you believe those links. More so their agents putting their names out there to drum up interest

True but of those who would you say is genuinely top 4 quality?

True but of those who would you say is genuinely top 4 quality?

Cedric - Barcelona

VvD - City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal

Bertrand - City

Jrod - Spurs

Tadic - A. Madrid/Juve

Forster - Cant remember

How long before Rom is 'linked' away?????

Cedric - Barcelona

VvD - City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal

Bertrand - City

Jrod - Spurs

Tadic - A. Madrid/Juve

Forster - Cant remember

How long before Rom is 'linked' away?????

I mean of those players, if you were City, which would you sign for next season?

I mean of those players, if you were City, which would you sign for next season?

does not matter what I think. YOu suggested that only 1 player had been linked to a top club and a way to suggesting Puel is doing as well as we could hope

You can't really believe that Puel has anything to do with the development sides.

Puel is our 1st team and head coach. He will be dictating the way we play from top to bottom.

All teams play the same way so that the transition from one side to the next is as seamless as possible.

So it's fair to say that his style is not effective for the 1st team or the development teams as all have struggled this season.

Watching Conte today at the final whistle reminded me just what we need from a manager. Passion. And Puel has not got it. Ps wish Spurs would stop singing our song. Even commentator seemed to think it's theirs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You can't really believe that Puel has anything to do with the development sides. It's just an excuse to have another dig at him.

As for Monk, ffs . Failed at Swansea, failed at Leeds , yet you want him at Saints. Clueless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The club have had concerns about the quality in the youth squads for some time now, this is not just since Puel's been in charge. I know they were looking at younger players outside of the acamdemy, so the quality may have improved since.

Unfortunately you're not going to get a Bale, AOC, lallana, Theo or Shaw come through every year and the club (Les) really need to understand this.

Also, I'm not certain it's the first team manager that sets the style on which the academy plays. I believe the clubs (again Les') preferred formation is 4-3-3 and this is generally what they play.

Ultimately, its Puel's job to bring in and get academy players ready for the first team. Which I have to say, he's done well.

Some things Puel has done well I.e bring through the youngsters, however IMO everything else (style of play, performances and league position) has gone backwards.

Puel is our 1st team and head coach. He will be dictating the way we play from top to bottom.

All teams play the same way so that the transition from one side to the next is as seamless as possible.

So it's fair to say that his style is not effective for the 1st team or the development teams as all have struggled this season.

Exactly....as I said it's not fecking rocket science to understand that.

3.2/10.

Glasgow -been rich pickings for you this weekend but now you're getting a bit greedy and sloppy pal.

You know that our 'style', as implemented across the development sides, is nothing more than a broad commitment to playing on the deck or some other loose philosophy.

Edited by shurlock

OK, so the plan is to offload this joker and get somebody new in (Gary Monk.... really). I take it that when the new guy drops out of the top ten then all the same faces will be wanting yet another man to come in and take over? One for Duncan perhaps, but how many managers exactly have we sacked whilst sitting in the top half of the league, and having got to a major cup final. If we go down this path, how many managers do you think we will see come and go?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

OK, so the plan is to offload this joker and get somebody new in (Gary Monk.... really). I take it that when the new guy drops out of the top ten then all the same faces will be wanting yet another man to come in and take over? One for Duncan perhaps, but how many managers exactly have we sacked whilst sitting in the top half of the league, and having got to a major cup final. If we go down this path, how many managers do you think we will see come and go?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Being 9th or 10th isn't the reason I want Puel out and reading posts on this thread and others it isn't the reason for anyone.

The issue is more we are just 2 points off 16th spot, 17 off 7th and the "football" he has served up regularly this season is utter dull

Think some also concerned that we are 22 points worse off this season than last. And scored 20 less goals.

That's a big drop in 12 months

Edited by Heisenberg

We are three points of 8th with a game in hand. And made a cup final without conceding a goal en route including two wins over Liverpool and a win at Arsenal. If anyone can't see that this would represent a good season having seen Mane, Wanyama and Pelle leave the building they really are never going to be pleased.

Like everyone else at the game I was frustrated and disappointed by yesterday's performance. But equally I was proud and thrilled by the performances at Wembley, Sunderland, Arsenal, Liverpool, West Brom, Watford.

It's about having some balance. I think Puel has done well in difficult circumstances and I don't get too down by a poor performance. Presumably in the eyes of the Everton bed wetters Koeman has become "clueless" by being stuffed 3-0 at home to Chelsea today?

#Bigger Picture

Being 9th or 10th isn't the reason I want Puel out and reading posts on this thread and others it isn't the reason for anyone.

The issue is more we are just 2 points off 16th spot, 17 off 7th and the "football" he has served up regularly this season is utter dull

Think some also concerned that we are 22 points worse off this season than last. And scored 20 less goals.

That's a big drop in 12 months

Given that the first 6 places in the Premier league are pretty much accounted for each season then I don't see that we are doing that badly. Take your point about some (not all) of the football - not to everyone's taste. Yes we have lost points and failed to score goals, but I wonder whether those stats would have been quite the same had we not lost VvD and had we had a striker for more than half a season.

At the end of the day - we have had an average season where we have managed to get to a cup final. Currently we are in the top half, of a very tight, middle premier league - if you are going to start sacking people for that, then fine. But don't expect too much more in terms of results.

From my own personal point of view, I think that people are looking at our time in the top flight over a very short period of time (last couple of years) and as a result have some quite unrealistic ideas about what we should be achieving. 8, 7, 6 in the last 3 years - only another 5 years until we win the league - it was never ever going to happen.

We are three points of 8th with a game in hand. And made a cup final without conceding a goal en route including two wins over Liverpool and a win at Arsenal. If anyone can't see that this would represent a good season having seen Mane, Wanyama and Pelle leave the building they really are never going to be pleased.

Like everyone else at the game I was frustrated and disappointed by yesterday's performance. But equally I was proud and thrilled by the performances at Wembley, Sunderland, Arsenal, Liverpool, West Brom, Watford.

It's about having some balance. I think Puel has done well in difficult circumstances and I don't get too down by a poor performance. Presumably in the eyes of the Everton bed wetters Koeman has become "clueless" by being stuffed 3-0 at home to Chelsea today?

#Bigger Picture

Exactly - perspective.

First things first, we're 3 points off 16th as well, so nothing can be made of the league position results-wise.

It is, as you say, all about the...

#Bigger Picture

What's improving? What's getting better? Which players have really taken forward steps in their career development apart from Stephens and Ward-Prowse? How much progress have we made with developing and integrating the combined £28Mn-worth of supposed talent in Hojbjerg and Boufal in our team? What formations or tactical systems/plans have we worked on throughout the season that we can quickly put into practice during the game? Have we added any strings to our bow apart from our standard 4-3-3 with Davis/Romeu/JWP in midfield?

The past three fixtures have been exactly the same as the first few matches under Puel. We can barely play a one-two let alone string a move together going forward against the weaker clubs at home, and we get absolutely bodied by the big clubs who barely need to break sweat against us.

Meanwhile, the fans aren't happy, the players aren't happy or motivated, the team looks uncoordinated and predictable.

I see nothing to be excited about for next season whatsoever. Sure, we'll pick up enough points to stay up - but I can't even see the beginnings of an upward trajectory under Puel.

It really feels like the people still defending him at this point are those who want to protect their own personal reputation as being level-headed and sensible.

Let's see where we end up at the end of the season I guess, because whether we're 9th or 15th its quite clear that until our league position is certain, we're forever going to be told that we're only "X-single-digit-number-of-points-off-8th" between now and the end of the season.

Please can everyone stop using getting to a cup final as a measure of success. We ****ing lost for christ sake.

Do you think Birmingham or Wigan fans think they had a success season the year they went down, because they got to the FA cup final?

In reality, we played 3 reserve teams to get to that final anyway.

Before someone mentions how many / lack of finals we've seen... don't judge success on previous failures.

#Bigger Picture

Those performances you list were away games. At home we have been generally dull and boring. No season ticket holder is going to form an opinion based on away games.

The past three fixtures have been exactly the same as the first few matches under Puel. We can barely play a one-two let alone string a move together going forward against the weaker clubs at home, and we get absolutely bodied by the big clubs who barely need to break sweat against us.

That's funny because both paid pundits at the Chelsea game praised our style and said how well we played. Souness even said he'd enjoyed watching us. Funny they didn't mention we "can barely play a one two, let alone string a move together".

First things first, we're 3 points off 16th as well, so nothing can be made of the league position results-wise.

What's improving? What's getting better? Which players have really taken forward steps in their career development apart from Stephens and Ward-Prowse? How much progress have we made with developing and integrating the combined £28Mn-worth of supposed talent in Hojbjerg and Boufal in our team? What formations or tactical systems/plans have we worked on throughout the season that we can quickly put into practice during the game? Have we added any strings to our bow apart from our standard 4-3-3 with Davis/Romeu/JWP in midfield?

Meanwhile, the fans aren't happy, the players aren't happy or motivated, the team looks uncoordinated and predictable.

I see nothing to be excited about for next season whatsoever. Sure, we'll pick up enough points to stay up - but I can't even see the beginnings of an upward trajectory under Puel.

It really feels like the people still defending him at this point are those who want to protect their own personal reputation as being level-headed and sensible.

Let's see where we end up at the end of the season I guess, because whether we're 9th or 15th its quite clear that until our league position is certain, we're forever going to be told that we're only "X-single-digit-number-of-points-off-8th" between now and the end of the season.

Not trying to defend any reputation. I supported the last four managers who did a good job too in very different circumstances.

To answer your question re which players have improved, then I would add Redmond, Cedric, VVD, Romeo, Sims and McQueen to your list. There are others that have gone backwards too. That is life. I accept there have been a number of disappointing home performances and, as per Whitey's observation, I recognise that this has a big imprint on people. But SKD's "cup final, so what" argument is nuts. Ask anyone who went to Wembley if they want more days out like that. And we were very close to qualifying again for Europe where I look forward to taking my daughter to more trips like Milan and Prague regardless of the results!

This guys called ScepticalStan. Hope Stan wasn't around the season Lawrie took us down

With the run in we have we will be luck to get 4 points, and could finish fourteenth or fifteenth.

Puel seems to lack passion and enthusiasm. This isn't a trait shred by man very successful managers, and his stle of football seems to match his personality.

Regrettably concluded that we need a new manager next season.

The reporter in today's Telegraph suggested that Marco Silva may suit us.

He certainly looks very promising.

That's funny because both paid pundits at the Chelsea game praised our style and said how well we played. Souness even said he'd enjoyed watching us. Funny they didn't mention we "can barely play a one two, let alone string a move together".

Away game, wannit.

Please can everyone stop using getting to a cup final as a measure of success. We ****ing lost for christ sake.

Do you think Birmingham or Wigan fans think they had a success season the year they went down, because they got to the FA cup final?

In reality, we played 3 reserve teams to get to that final anyway.

Before someone mentions how many / lack of finals we've seen... don't judge success on previous failures.

And yet people would like you use not reaching the final as a stick to beat him with.

What is a FACT is that he got us further than Pochettino and Koeman ever did in any competition, and you can never take that away.

Hopefully, next season, he'll go one further and finally prove the doubters wrong. Although no doubt, the usual suspects would still moan at something.

Totally agree with you. Everyone is entitled to an opinion except on here where they look for a reason to discredit you and then belittle your view. Because I live in southsea I must be a skate! Little do you know how hard it is to a Saints fan behind enemy lines so to speak! I've been Saints fan since the early 70s, saw my first match in 78. And used to proudly wear my admiral saints shirt around Gosport growing up. I've had abuse from the Blue Few so I don't ******* need it from fellow fans!

And yes I want Puel Out! And yes I've got a season ticket! And no I'm not a ******* a skate!

Everyone who has a different opinion to Always and Whelk are skates or trolls .

Didnt you know ?

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

And yet people would like you use not reaching the final as a stick to beat him with.

What is a FACT is that he got us further than Pochettino and Koeman ever did in any competition, and you can never take that away.

Hopefully, next season, he'll go one further and finally prove the doubters wrong. Although no doubt, the usual suspects would still moan at something.

He also failed to get us to qualify for Europe which Koeman did on two occasions.

That's what gets team relegated..let the current manager sell all the player which "don't fit" (even though they fitted before) and buy his own players in the summer. By the time a new one is in it will be too late and there is no money to rebuild he squad.

IMO he goes this summer or see's out next season in full.

Exactly this . Happy clappers seem to ignore how certain players were much more effective under previous managers

Plus if Puel changes the squad the usual suspects will trot out the usual ' transitional season ' rubbish which basically means the manager isn't responsible for anything what so ever .

Why do Saints have a transitional season every season ?

Exactly this . Happy clappers seem to ignore how certain players were much more effective under previous managers

Which players?

Long had a purple patch last season, but has reverted back to his normal form. Forster has always been bang average but with Vic, Morgan and the better centre halves was protected somewhat. Maybe Bertrand, but certainly not Cedric, remember Cuco the clown got the nod over him at times. So who are these players that "were much more effective under previous managers", could you name them for me. Because OR, Yoshida, JWP & Stephens have improved under Puel. Davo is pretty much the same as is Tadic. Name names.

Which players?

Long had a purple patch last season, but has reverted back to his normal form. Forster has always been bang average but with Vic, Morgan and the better centre halves was protected somewhat. Maybe Bertrand, but certainly not Cedric, remember Cuco the clown got the nod over him at times. So who are these players that "were much more effective under previous managers", could you name them for me. Because OR, Yoshida, JWP & Stephens have improved under Puel. Davo is pretty much the same as is Tadic. Name names.

OR, Yoshida and Stephens didn't play much last season so how is that compatible? They haven't improved they have just played.

Do you really think Tadic is the same player..look at his goals and assists in previous years?

JWP I wil give you.

Bertrand looks not interested compared to previous seasons.

OR, Yoshida and Stephens didn't play much last season so how is that compatible? They haven't improved they have just played.

Do you really think Tadic is the same player..look at his goals and assists in previous years?

JWP I wil give you.

Bertrand looks not interested compared to previous seasons.

Do you really believe Yoshida hasn't improved, just played? So if Puel takes someone out of the reserves and makes them a better player, it's not down to him? Bloke can't win, can he?

What about OR, nobody can claim he hasn't played better this season. Oh no, it's not that is it, he's just played. Again bloke can't win, can he?

As for Tadic's assists, we don't have Pelle or Mane finishing, so clearly the stats will be misleading. Why was he substituted so often last season? Personally I don't think his form is any different to last season, he just had better players around him.

Do you really believe Yoshida hasn't improved, just played? So if Puel takes someone out of the reserves and makes them a better player, it's not down to him? Bloke can't win, can he?

So you want to give Puel full credit for the 1 or 2 players that have improved., but he's not responsible for the 7-8 players that have gone backwards in form under him?

Look at the comments under the article!

They're making fun of our fanbase, along the lines of "They're in the top 10, what were they expecting?!"

And I have to agree with them.

You are just agreeing with a quote you wrote yourself. How desperate is that?

There is no mention whatsoever of our fanbase in any of the comments, let alone anyone making fun of it. One poster simply says, "Do you think Southampton should play the big 4? I think they are in their place in the top 10."

Which 7-8?

Off the top of my head: Forster, Long, Hojbjerg, Reed, Targett, Boufal, Martina, Tadic, Gardos, Austin, Rodriguez, Pied, Caceres, McQueen, Hassen, Isgrove etc... most of the squad, basically, for one reason or another, although some of them were simply Les Reed's overhyped buys who've been found out.

Which players?

Well I disagree that Long had a purple patch . I think he was just used effectively, something Puel is incapable of .

Forster wasn't bang average last season . Yes he had more protection but he was also pushing for the England no.1 spot . He was full of confidence and much more effective at stopping shots .

Bertrand was much more effective and positive .

Davis was much more positive and bursting into the oppositions half although was still useless in the box . He wasn't the crab footballer he has become .

Fonte also was much more solid .

Virgil was more effective before Fonte was benched .

I disagree that Prowse has improved. Still a lower league player whose only claim to fame is being from the academy .

Which players?

Can you tell me how many times you saw Stephens play before Fonte was sold ? You say Puel has improved him but I doubt you ever saw him before in any detail . He is only getting played because of lack of alternatives.

Yoshida is pretty much the same as always

Romeu was always good but has benefitted from being our only defensive midfielder and therefore not rotated .

Im yet to see any player being improved through coaching

For me the real issue is our strategy - what I mean by that is what are we trying to achieve as a club from an owner's point of view? Ever since the sad death of ML and the subsequent departure of NC, we have become the Ebenezer Scrooge. Sell high, buy cheap - both players and managers. We have been extremely lucky so far but it will catch up with us sooner or later.

Both Poch and Ron left mainly because they felt they had taken us as far as they could (Ron even said he was surprised how far we got with the resources he had).

Not asking for Kat to invest more, just plow all the money we get from sales back into the club - better still just don't sell! Or failing that, move on and sell - to someone respectable and willing to invest and improve the club.

Off the top of my head: Forster, Long, Hojbjerg, Reed, Targett, Boufal, Martina, Tadic, Gardos, Austin, Rodriguez, Pied, Caceres, McQueen, Hassen, Isgrove etc... most of the squad, basically, for one reason or another, although some of them were simply Les Reed's overhyped buys who've been found out.

Plank

You lose the argument just calling names. Do you think Hojberg has improved as the season has progressed?

If you were Clasie scored and played very well at WBA then not given one minute in next 3 games how would you feel?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I was up for giving Puel a chance, after all his footy CV wasn't the worst and he had European experience which is what we needed give the season we faced. We exited Europe going out with a whimper in a group we should have won. He got us to a cup final but with what's being produced since then, I am wondering whether the players played for themselves rather than for him?

More recently some players have looked less interested as each week passes by and I noticed on Saturday, that a couple of times Puel was on the touch line and shouting to players none of them looked towards him or basically took any notice of what he was trying to say so I wonder if there is an issue between him and the players?