Puel out

Lastman73

Thought we improved slightly tonight. Played with good intent and movement in the first half, but yet again, poor defending and a lack of cutting edge going forward. Haven't really looked like scoring in 3 games - fingers crossed we get rid ASAP, especially with Tuchel and Emery possibly available in the summer.

I like your targets but do the club have sufficient ambition to go for either ?

I like your targets but do the club have sufficient ambition to go for either ?

Seems highly unlikely we will recruit either. We had the opportunity (and the European football) to attract a higher profile manager last season and we blew it.

Many will moan, but we were ok until a Sanchez bit of magic and then Yoshida falling asleep.

Main problems this season are:

1) not enough goals in the team

2) lack of decent centre backs

Neither of which are Puel's fault. He doesn't help himself, but it's not his fault why we are struggling.

The 2 reason above are the exact reason why you cannot offer absolutely no threat going forwards. We were lucky Liverpool were very very poor otherwise you'd have been saying the same.

Seems highly unlikely we will recruit either. We had the opportunity (and the European football) to attract a higher profile manager last season and we blew it.

Arguably we'll still in a better place than where we were in the summer of 2014 to attract and recruit a high calibre candidate.

If we did 'twist', then we are still a hugely attractive club. We've easily underachieved this year in terms of attacking sense, but we're highly thought of over the continent and we'd still be a good pick for a lot of managers. PL is an attractive league, and whoever is the manager will certainly have $$$ to spend. Think we tried to be a bit clever with the Puel appointment, outside of the box and all that. Still don't think we've been 'as bad' as some are suggesting, just very inconsistent and frustrating to watch. It doesn't feel like we're far away...but it makes you wonder what needs to change to get us back to that level again.

We need to give the manager full backing at the end of the season, let him build his own team put them through pre- season and then see how we get on next season. Now is not the time for knee jerk panic because a mid table team finish mid table.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Our midfield is slow cumbersome and lacks balance. The only midfielder to score gets dropped for next 4 games is it any wonder they don't want to score.

What did Tadic do tonight to stay on longer than Redmond who at least covered Bertrand

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Our midfield is slow cumbersome and lacks balance. The only midfielder to score gets dropped for next 4 games is it any wonder they don't want to score.

What did Tadic do tonight to stay on longer than Redmond who at least covered Bertrand

Tadic is a luxury player, team carried him at times. But Redmond was garbage tonight, his ability to pick the final pass or deliver a telling ball is ****ing awful. It's something that has to improve massively. He's got the pace, he can dribble...but he needs to start doing something on a consistent basis. He was very, very, very frustrating tonight - as he has been in a lot of home games.

If Emery or Tuchel were to leave their current clubs, who else might interested? Can't think of any PL teams that would be looking that would be more attractive than us, assuming Wenger stays. Inter Milan, Sevilla and Bilbao would be the obvious "bigger" European clubs that might be looking but I think we'd have a good chance at getting someone decent in this summer - this time next year, maybe not.

Arguably we'll still in a better place than where we were in the summer of 2014 to attract and recruit a high calibre candidate.

This is true. Don't think we will stretch to the likes of Emery though.

But that year we had to take a gamble to prove something. At the end of last year I'd suggest the board and Les believed their own hype about how great they were at recruiting coaching and playing talent. It was said that Puel had four interviews and was touted as the man who would improve things. As always I don't blame Puel, the board are culpable, probably for being arrogant.

Tadic is a luxury player, team carried him at times. But Redmond was garbage tonight, his ability to pick the final pass or deliver a telling ball is ****ing awful. It's something that has to improve massively. He's got the pace, he can dribble...but he needs to start doing something on a consistent basis. He was very, very, very frustrating tonight - as he has been in a lot of home games.

Agreed but Tadic did nothing again at least Redmond covers the defence however there is a big issue between him and Bertrand.

Redmond had signalled to the bench and then went over to it a few minutes before he was subbed.

Edited by Whitey Grandad

With tonight's loss to Arsenal at St Mary's, Claude PUEL brought about ultimate shame to our club. His record stands of living proof that he is beyond bringing our club forward. He threw on his prize clown and left all strikers on and still we got nowhere near scoring.

He must go, he has no place in future at our club.

That's it for me this season. I really can't be arsed to spend good money on the next two home games whilst we serve up such dross. First time I cAn remember in 40 years I won't be at a last game of the season. I've been bored into submission. I'll be back next year but can't stomach anymore of this ****.

We need to give the manager full backing at the end of the season, let him build his own team put them through pre- season and then see how we get on next season. Now is not the time for knee jerk panic because a mid table team finish mid table.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

The players aren't the problem it's the tactics.You could give him all the pre-seasons in the world he'd still be the wrong choice if he didn't change the way we play. 17 goals at home all season in the league -six of those in two games- take those out that's 11 in 15. Failed to score in 4 out of our last 5 home matches. It's ponderous and turgid rubbish. No midfielders commit forward beyond the front man, it's dire to watch.

Players are unhappy, majority of fans are far from convinced,the board lack leadership so who knows what will happen. But I for one won't lose any sleep if he goes.

I've said all season I'd make my judgement after the last game but I've decided to change my mind , he should go.

It wasn't a bad performance though, first half especially. 2nd half questions need to be asked though.

The first 30 minutes we had something like 35% possession- the last 15 minutes of the first half were decent, but apart from that I thought we were poor.

First half reasonable but so defensively minded you could see Gabbi kicking off about th lack of supporting pressure from midfield. 2nd half we had zero going forward we used to have a style of play now we just pass about aimlessly waiting for an opportunity to slow things down and let the oppo get back into shape. The midfield and strikers were so far apart tonight that they probably had to be reintroduced at full time. Utter dross at the moment you could feel the life being dragged out of the support watching this once we went 1-0 down. Tadic has been dire for weeks now yet stays on for the majority of the game and Bertrand has not been the left back of last year. Would be tempted to stick McQueen in next weekend just to shake him up a bit.

Many will moan, but we were ok until a Sanchez bit of magic and then Yoshida falling asleep.

Main problems this season are:

1) not enough goals in the team

2) lack of decent centre backs

Neither of which are Puel's fault. He doesn't help himself, but it's not his fault why we are struggling.

Our strikers are capable , just not utilized effectively .

Puel is the problem

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Just seen him on Sky saying it was a good performance!

Beggars belief, it really does.

No it doesn't. We played good football, lots of attacking intent.

The final pass and finishing let us down, but overall, I would not criticise Puel or the team for that.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

With tonight's loss to Arsenal at St Mary's, Claude PUEL brought about ultimate shame to our club. His record stands of living proof that he is beyond bringing our club forward. He threw on his prize clown and left all strikers on and still we got nowhere near scoring.

He must go, he has no place in future at our club.

That's just idiotic.

I agree that the combination of Tadic having a mediocre game, and Redmond a poor one cost us that game.

We created well and they were often put in good positions that got wasted. Plenty of good performances, though, and I can't blame Puel for the two players who should be the most creative failing to deliver.

Redmond has been garbage for the majority of the season.

Would he be as frequent of a starter in any of the sides we've had in the last four years as he is now? Not a chance. He would be a substitute at best.

In all fairness, I think he was the wrong choice.

You can't get a manager out of a league where he has been for the whole of his life (one-man club and posterior managerial career), stick him in the PL an expect him not to be risk-averse.

One could say that the vibes after the end of Koeman's first season weren't great particularly after the momentum we had coming from the Pochettino era, but he signed a number of players who were either experienced professionals or internationals (e.g. Tadic, Pelle, Mane, Stekelenburg).

This summer, needing to rebuild the squad after yet another number of key departures we spent most of our cash on young players that are unproven at a top level (Hojbjerg, Redmond, Boufal) and just made sure we included some youth graduates in.

Gabbiadini and Caceres came too little too late and one might question if they address the issues caused by previous departures - so a higher quality version of Koeman's January 2015 signings.

In any case, not what a newly-arrived manager needs, but perhaps what he can attract outside of his turf?

As a result, he has adopted a largely defensive layout, based on closing teams out in midfield and holding possession, but that conservative focus means we lack the creativity in the build-up both through the middle and down the wings (when they exist).

We've also understood that the manager was not willing to change things too much or allow much duty freedom (i.e. get more out of the individuals) that could spark the players and give us a chance to produce slightly more unpredictable results - we frankly haven't done badly against those we expected to get a result from, but couldn't change the script against any team above that level!

With our current mix of young and experienced mid-level players, all of that gave us an average season cruising between 8th-14th. We were unlucky with the cup final, but we are not good enough to plan for a cup run so a lot of it is down to finding the right ties through the rounds.

On the other hand we could absolutely have planned our Europa League campaign without the qualifying noise - it came across as if we were always caught in two minds, and didn't invest enough in key games.

I would let Puel go, but if we do I sure hope that we spend some good money this summer!

Puel knows how to set us up to get the best out of us. He's done it a few times this season but he likes to play a defensive style. We've gone backwards this season. I don't mind letting him have a pre season and giving him another go but at the same time I wouldn't be bothered if he left.

In all fairness, I think he was the wrong choice.

You can't get a manager out of a league where he has been for the whole of his life (one-man club and posterior managerial career), stick him in the PL an expect him not to be risk-averse.

One could say that the vibes after the end of Koeman's first season weren't great particularly after the momentum we had coming from the Pochettino era, but he signed a number of players who were either experienced professionals or internationals (e.g. Tadic, Pelle, Mane, Stekelenburg).

This summer, needing to rebuild the squad after yet another number of key departures we spent most of our cash on young players that are unproven at a top level (Hojbjerg, Redmond, Boufal) and just made sure we included some youth graduates in.

Gabbiadini and Caceres came too little too late and one might question if they address the issues caused by previous departures - so a higher quality version of Koeman's January 2015 signings.

In any case, not what a newly-arrived manager needs, but perhaps what he can attract outside of his turf?

As a result, he has adopted a largely defensive layout, based on closing teams out in midfield and holding possession, but that conservative focus means we lack the creativity in the build-up both through the middle and down the wings (when they exist).

We've also understood that the manager was not willing to change things too much or allow much duty freedom (i.e. get more out of the individuals) that could spark the players and give us a chance to produce slightly more unpredictable results - we frankly haven't done badly against those we expected to get a result from, but couldn't change the script against any team above that level!

With our current mix of young and experienced mid-level players, all of that gave us an average season cruising between 8th-14th. We were unlucky with the cup final, but we are not good enough to plan for a cup run so a lot of it is down to finding the right ties through the rounds.

On the other hand we could absolutely have planned our Europa League campaign without the qualifying noise - it came across as if we were always caught in two minds, and didn't invest enough in key games.

I would let Puel go, but if we do I sure hope that we spend some good money this summer!

I think you're wrong in your assessment that Puel adapted in any way. It was stated time and again when he was appointed that he was known for being intransigent and by and large he has been. Whether it was only player power that did ensure he changed his tactics slightly I don't know but it is clear that Saints under him mirror Nice under him and other teams under him. For the most part they play very defensive and score few goals. One season of having Ben Arfa play well against poor opposition and score a lot of goals hasn't made him any different from how he's always been. I think the excuse that his wife hadn't settled which came out in January was setting the scene in case he flopped and hope he'll be gone sharpish.

Posted all this back at the start of the season:

Said this in the new new manager thread in the summer:

"Pellegrini was my choice from day one. He will turn us into top four challengers.

Whatever you say about City's form last season, this guy has won the Premier League and would become out-and-out the club's most illustrious managerial appointment in history."

If only.

BTW - also said this in August:

"Puel will be a disaster"

Thanks.

I was seriously underwhelmed by his appointment and would gladly see the back of him, awful manager producing awful football.......when we were playing Sparta Prague in the Europa League I was so bored I defrosted my freezer.

The tactics are all down to Puel. The players are good enough, but are playing to his template. Today we moved the ball very slowly forwards again as usual, with a chasm between the midfield and Gabbi, sitting deep in case of the counter attack. Pathetic. The one time in the first half we got it forward quick Ward-Prowse didn't even look around, just thumped it 40 yards back to Stephens. Hopeless. What happened to being brave on the ball? Bravery has gone out of the window with Puel. He has to go.

Here's the most telling stat - 12 shots on target in the last 6 games.

That's it. Nothing more to be said.

The forward players are not getting the ball enough times in the areas where they can take a shot that at least has a chance of going in. And you can see that running right back through the buildup play every single time.

Whatever it is - system, style, attitude it is clear that Puel must take responsibility for these poor performances. Players can run about, flap their arms, scream and shout or whatever, it's all pointless if a move does not end with at least a shot on goal.

Last night I was listening to Dave Merrington talk about players not making simple shots because they obviously had no confidence.

This has been going on all season and it has to end. Either Puel sorts it out or he goes.

If you think Pellegrini would have turned us into "top four challengers"you really are deluded.

If you think mid table & a cup final are a "disaster", you're supporting the wrong club

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think it's a disastrous season. But it could and should have been better. Not that long ago we were a couple of results away from the relegation fight.

The issue I have is this: we are 10th with a team playing dull football and apparently can't string together an attack that results in at least a shot in target. We've had a squad problem with players not being able to get goals all season, or at least not able to score consistently. We had a massive problem in defence once Virgil was injured, I'll grant you that Stephens has stepped up and is doing well however a club that wants to sit in the top half if the PL should have a squad capable of dealing with this sort of thing. Saints don't have that squad and never will have for as long as the selling of players happens each summer.

In fact any injury causes a problem for us because the squad just isn't strong enough.

With this season I feel like a contestant on Bullseye with Jim Bowen saying 'let's have a look at what you could have won'

You've just answered your own earlier question of what needs to change to get us back where we were. The answer is players. Player performance or players full stop. Either Redmond, Boufal, Gabbiadini and JWP get a lot better and fill the shoes of the players that departed or we need new players. Personally I don't think Puel has a chance with this squad. Too small and not enough quality.

You've just answered your own earlier question of what needs to change to get us back where we were. The answer is players. Player performance or players full stop. Either Redmond, Boufal, Gabbiadini and JWP get a lot better and fill the shoes of the players that departed or we need new players. Personally I don't think Puel has a chance with this squad. Too small and not enough quality.

The one thing the squad isn't is too small. We need to get rid of 9 or 10 this summer and bring 4 or 5 in

If you think Pellegrini would have turned us into "top four challengers"you really are deluded.

If you think mid table & a cup final are a "disaster", you're supporting the wrong club

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not a disaster but not good when you look at the following....

Where we'll finish this year compared to last.

11 goal in the last 12 games.

Lowest points tally since our return to the Prem.

Never wanted Puel. You only have to listen to his interviews to see that he's one of the most uninspiring managers in the game. Imagine being in a team listening to that every day. I can honestly say I dislike him more than any other manager we've had. And that list includes some pretty awful managers, including the likes of, Redknapp, Branfoot, Wotte, Poortvliet, Gray, Sturrock & Wigley!

Not a disaster but not good when you look at the following....

Where we'll finish this year compared to last.

11 goal in the last 12 games.

Lowest points tally since our return to the Prem.

Never wanted Puel. You only have to listen to his interviews to see that he's one of the most uninspiring managers in the game. Imagine being in a team listening to that every day. I can honestly say I dislike him more than any other manager we've had. And that list includes some pretty awful managers, including the likes of, Redknapp, Branfoot, Wotte, Poortvliet, Gray, Sturrock & Wigley!

Totally agree 100%. Puel needs to go now.

He doesn't inspire them (or me). That's pretty much the crux of it. We need someone with an ounce of charisma who doesn't base everything on the avoidance of risk and a dull, conservative approach to packing the defence first and then not really worrying about how we will get forward and try and score. Needs to go before the end of the season to send a signal that we're preparing for next, and hope to keep more than the obvious leavers (VVD and Bertrand - ie massive part of our defence)

He doesn't inspire them (or me). That's pretty much the crux of it. We need someone with an ounce of charisma who doesn't base everything on the avoidance of risk and a dull, conservative approach to packing the defence first and then not really worrying about how we will get forward and try and score. Needs to go before the end of the season to send a signal that we're preparing for next, and hope to keep more than the obvious leavers (VVD and Bertrand - ie massive part of our defence)

That just about sums it up for me. Lets be honest, Adkins was sacked for much less.