Puel out

Lastman73

Regardless of whether Puel should stay or go, I think it is fair to say some of the opposition to Puel is a bit over the top when looking at the bigger picture of what we have achieved this season (cup final screwed out of winning it by the ref and a certain chav faced c**t, maybe finishing 8th, Europa was a bust that is true, the fixture and injury list from hell). I wonder how much of that is to do with the fact that we have been particularly poor at home. We are 17th in the league at home but 7th away, one of the lowest scoring teams in the league at home, we were eliminated from the Europa at home against Hapoel, the 5-0 defeat to Arsenal in the FA Cup was at home . On the other hand, the high points of the season have largely been away, Wembley, Anfield and Emirates in the cup and our league form. Are the fans' perceptions skewed by the fact that what they have seen, and paid, for themselves has been turgid while most of what we have done well has been seen only by the fans that travel to away games or by watching on tv?

Think she's retired, her daughter now I believe.

Proper filth here to be honest, Blackpool at its peak.

Beers cheap and seen 2 saints shirts. One boy had Boufal on back.

selling sunglasses and laser pens?

Gus and Jose are poor managers now?

lol really? You need that explained? You really have got those red and white spectacles firmly on haven't you?

Jose took arguably the most talented squad in the league (demonstrated this year) to what mid table...and he got sacked....

So yes last year he was ****e...why do you think he was sacked and yes it impacted of hazards form last season!

lol really? You need that explained? You really have got those red and white spectacles firmly on haven't you?

Jose took arguably the most talented squad in the league (demonstrated this year) to what mid table...and he got sacked....

So yes last year he was ****e...why do you think he was sacked and yes it impacted of hazards form last season!

Hazard was still **** after Jose left and did not turn up until the spurs game at the end of the season. Sometimes it's the players who let the manager down...

Hazard was still **** after Jose left and did not turn up until the spurs game at the end of the season. Sometimes it's the players who let the manager down...

It's the managers job to motivate them surely? If not why do managers get the sack?

We're in 9th place. Say all you want but there are only 8 teams in the U.K. that wouldn't trade places with us. I think Puel certainly deserves to stay. My only backing off on this opinion is if the players are go to management and request his removal. Then I would change my mind.

We're in 9th place. Say all you want but there are only 8 teams in the U.K. that wouldn't trade places with us. I think Puel certainly deserves to stay. My only backing off on this opinion is if the players are go to management and request his removal. Then I would change my mind.

If Puel gets sacked..how many of those below us do you really believe would have him as their manager?

It's the managers job to motivate them surely? If not why do managers get the sack?

Because it's cheaper to sack a manager then buy a load of new players.

In all seriousness, of course the manager has a responsibility to motivate the players, however the players have a responsibility to perform and be professional. Something some of ours lads can't say they have done.

If Puel gets sacked..how many of those below us do you really believe would have him as their manager?

Quite a few I imagine. They'd probably consider he'd done a half decent job when he'd inherited a depleted squad, had his best defender out for a third of a season, his best forward out for half a season and still managed to get to a Cup Final and a top 10 finish.

You carry on being a plum though.

Quite a few I imagine. They'd probably consider he'd done a half decent job when he'd inherited a depleted squad, had his best defender out for a third of a season, his best forward out for half a season and still managed to get to a Cup Final and a top 10 finish.

You carry on being a plum though.

Lol name calling?

Are you still at school?

Because it's cheaper to sack a manager then buy a load of new players.

In all seriousness, of course the manager has a responsibility to motivate the players, however the players have a responsibility to perform and be professional. Something some of ours lads can't say they have done.

See that's where our views must differ.. I don't see a lack of effort.. I don't see them doing what they want... I see players playing to quite a rigid tactical formation. Some don't fit that formation or style of play, but that's not through a lack of effort.

I think that's why certain players are not playing so great, they are not in their best positions.

One thing we probably do agree on is that if Puel stays we need to get rid of all the players who look out of position and buy players which fit his style.

See that's where our views must differ.. I don't see a lack of effort.. I don't see them doing what they want... I see players playing to quite a rigid tactical formation. Some don't fit that formation or style of play, but that's not through a lack of effort.

I think that's why certain players are not playing so great, they are not in their best positions.

One thing we probably do agree on is that if Puel stays we need to get rid of all the players who look out of position and buy players which fit his style.

For me, the cup games (semi and final) showed what we could do with everyone performing to their maximum and not sure we've seen that from everyone since. Not saying all players, some will give 100% no matter what. But no chance everyone has given it everything for the cause - whether that's down to Puel and the formation is another question.

You are right in that if Puel stays he needs to be given the players he wants to fit his system. I get the feeling though he won't be here, too much unrest with the fan base to overcome.

For me, the cup games (semi and final) showed what we could do with everyone performing to their maximum and not sure we've seen that from everyone since. Not saying all players, some will give 100% no matter what. But no chance everyone has given it everything for the cause - whether that's down to Puel and the formation is another question.

You are right in that if Puel stays he needs to be given the players he wants to fit his system. I get the feeling though he won't be here, too much unrest with the fan base to overcome.

Yeah I get that but as well as he semi final we saw the same commitment against Liverpool last week.. But I would say Most teams can put a team together to play "park the bus" and be reasonably ok at it...even boro were good defensively in the first half of the season.

Who do you think hasn't tried? (Not looking for an argument, I just don't see it) even when Long has been shocking, he still puts a shift in, IMO.

Oooh just thought of one, I said to the bloke next to me three or four games before Fonte left that he wasn't trying..so I will give you him!

Did you think we looked good today then?

got the result which is main thing for me.

I'm still so mixed about Puel... I will admit if he left I wouldn't be fussed, but there are cases for and against him.

from the outside though we look bloody spoilt- 8th place and a cup final and talks of him getting sacked!

vvd's injury, gabbiadini's inury, the fixture list (just 3 games in feb/march included too), lack of strikers given at the start of season by les, forster turning shi*e (which i won't blame puel for)... but then...

the boring football which hasn't got results, the poor home record and goals scored at home, the europa league campaign, the throwing away of the fa cup game in the manner it happened, inability to win one game against the top 6 in the league, tadic/long and host of other players becoming worse from previous season, rotation of players who had a good game before then getting dropped...

Edited by nta786

got the result which is main thing for me.

I'm still so mixed about Puel... I will admit if he left I wouldn't be fussed, but there are cases for and against him.

from the outside though we look bloody spoilt- 8th place and a cup final and talks of him getting sacked!

vvd's injury, gabbiadini's inury, the fixture list (just 3 games in feb/march included too), lack of strikers given at the start of season by les, forster turning shi*e (which i won't blame puel for)... but then...

the boring football which hasn't got results, the poor home record and goals scored at home, the europa league campaign, the throwing away of the fa cup game in the manner it happened, inability to win one game against the top 6 in the league...

I think we have won two games from 15 against the top 8.

Regardless of whether Puel should stay or go, I think it is fair to say some of the opposition to Puel is a bit over the top when looking at the bigger picture of what we have achieved this season (cup final screwed out of winning it by the ref and a certain chav faced c**t, maybe finishing 8th, Europa was a bust that is true, the fixture and injury list from hell). I wonder how much of that is to do with the fact that we have been particularly poor at home. We are 17th in the league at home but 7th away, one of the lowest scoring teams in the league at home, we were eliminated from the Europa at home against Hapoel, the 5-0 defeat to Arsenal in the FA Cup was at home . On the other hand, the high points of the season have largely been away, Wembley, Anfield and Emirates in the cup and our league form. Are the fans' perceptions skewed by the fact that what they have seen, and paid, for themselves has been turgid while most of what we have done well has been seen only by the fans that travel to away games or by watching on tv?

This post is far too sensible for this thread.

Ok, carry on everyone.

No team with a smaller annual income than Southampton, has more points in the Premier League this season than Southampton.

Why are you talking as if you are a news reporter breaking an important headline?

Which is probably typical for a mid-table team. If we were regularly beating the top 6, we'd probably be top 4, and the truth is we're not that good.

But we're not bad either. With a B team, we played some decent football today, should have won by a hatful, but won. We weren't boring. We attacked. We won.

And be careful about judging fan unrest by a bunch of ranting posters on here. I was at the game today, spoke with plenty of fans and the overwhelming feeling was that Puel has his faults, but hasn't done a bad job.

It's worth reflecting that we could have done a lot worse this season. We're not sweating on relegation, we've been to Wembley and had an exciting (if ultimately anticlimactic) adventure in Europe.

Thank you Saints, and Claude. I've had a great season. I guess some others have far higher, and probably unrealistic expectations.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

And be careful about judging fan unrest by a bunch of ranting posters on here. I was at the game today, spoke with plenty of fans and the overwhelming feeling was that Puel has his faults, but hasn't done a bad job.

Was this a different set of representative fans to the racist anti-French ones you spoke with recently?

So? It doesn't matter who you beat, just where you finish in the league.

It seems to me that the Puel critics want to judge him by a different criteria than previous managers. You have to win well, you have to score lots of goals in defeat, you have to attack the big boys, you have to jump up & down on the touch line & crack jokes at press conferences. League position doesn't matter, it's who you beat that counts. And any wins don't count because the opposition were sheite.

In my opinion there is not one person who wouldn't have settled for 9th & a cup final ,2 games out,had Ron remained Manager, not one. Had he done so without Mane,Pelle,Big Vic & VvD for a third of the season, they'd be singing his praises. People are so fickle and deluded. The last 3 years have spoilt a lot of our support. I used to think, with the odd exception we were a pretty grounded bunch. I'd laugh at the deluded fools that follow West Ham and the style they have to play ,the backward looking Liverpool supporters, Evertonians thinking they're still a massive club , Spurs with all this "glory"pony. You know what, we're as ****ing bad now. I'll tell you what, if we sack Puel after finishing 8th/9th/10th & a cup final people in the game, pundits & neutrals will all be saying WTF, who do they think they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was this a different set of representative fans to the racist anti-French ones you spoke with recently?

Yes. And no fans are representative. They're all just fans, with their own views.

I do that know whether you think you're being clever or funny, but you're neither. So presumably you're just having a go at me.

I've been around far too long to be bothered.

Edited by Shroppie

It seems to me that the Puel critics want to judge him by a different criteria than previous managers. You have to win well, you have to score lots of goals in defeat, you have to attack the big boys, you have to jump up & down on the touch line & crack jokes at press conferences. League position doesn't matter, it's who you beat that counts. And any wins don't count because the opposition were sheite.

In my opinion there is not one person who wouldn't have settled for 9th & a cup final ,2 games out,had Ron remained Manager, not one. Had he done so without Mane,Pelle,Big Vic & VvD for a third of the season, they'd be singing his praises. People are so fickle and deluded. The last 3 years have spoilt a lot of our support. I used to think, with the odd exception we were a pretty grounded bunch. I'd laugh at the deluded fools that follow West Ham and the style they have to play ,the backward looking Liverpool supporters, Evertonians thinking they're still a massive club , Spurs with all this "glory"pony. You know what, we're as ****ing bad now. I'll tell you what, if we sack Puel after finishing 8th/9th/10th & a cup final people in the game, pundits & neutrals will all be saying WTF, who do they think they are.

My feelings exactly.

Just out of interest, is the 17th home place reflective or not or the fact that we still have two games left whereas many have now finished? Either way I take your broader point as I have enjoyed watching us away this season, and in addition to the 7th best league record away we also won in the cup at Anfield and Emirates. I mentioned on the match thread that we benefit from having more space away and so in the summer Claude can focus on different routes to increasing goals at home, including our strikers doing the job they are paid for!

As has been mentioned, the loyal visiting fans seem to live in a different planet to some of the less bright posters on here, many of whom seem to have gone missing tonight! At the game today about eight lads not old enough to remember two relegations a decade ago tried to get a "we want Claud Puel out" and they were looked on with a mixture of despair and pity. It's been an enjoyable away season and like Shroppie says there is an absence of realism from some. 8th place and a cup final remains very much on if we can finish the week as we have started it. I will be saying well done Claude

I

I would admit if Keoman was in charge and we were playing similar to last season in style. Eg including some really really ****e games...I would have been delighted with ninth and a cup final.

It's not the league position or the cup final, it's the tactics/performances that we have to sit through - his style of football is dull and frustrating. I'd rather the team finish one place below wherever he gets us and enjoy entertaining, passionate football. The squad also doesn't appear to be much of a 'team' either.

Just out of interest, is the 17th home place reflective or not or the fact that we still have two games left whereas many have now finished? Either way I take your broader point as I have enjoyed watching us away this season, and in addition to the 7th best league record away we also won in the cup at Anfield and Emirates. I mentioned on the match thread that we benefit from having more space away and so in the summer Claude can focus on different routes to increasing goals at home, including our strikers doing the job they are paid for!

As has been mentioned, the loyal visiting fans seem to live in a different planet to some of the less bright posters on here, many of whom seem to have gone missing tonight! At the game today about eight lads not old enough to remember two relegations a decade ago tried to get a "we want Claud Puel out" and they were looked on with a mixture of despair and pity. It's been an enjoyable away season and like Shroppie says there is an absence of realism from some. 8th place and a cup final remains very much on if we can finish the week as we have started it. I will be saying well done Claude

Do we have to do the "I have been to moe games than you etc". Granted I have not been the last few away as I just don't think it justifys the outlay at present but I had enough away credits to be in the first allocation of every away game this year... And there was a lot of pretty dull games away too.

I'm firmly in the Puel out camp as long as Black goes as well but I'm open to if there are any positives that people think he's bought to the club, not after an argument but for me I can't see any, people will say Stephens has improved, has he? We've not known as he didn't play, excellent to get him playing but did Puel have a choice, Yoshidas done well but still has an error in him and poor positioning. Some have improved probably by having the time to settle in and play more regularly ie Cedric. Bar that I don't see any coached improvement if any most have regressed, Puel was sold to us on being an excellent coach and his knowledge and experience in Europe would help us on our way. He has failed, people will say we're best of rest, where we should be etc etc, yes I guess we are but id like to be that little bit closer to 6th, people on here slate some of our squad me included but compared to 10/11 teams below us they would love to have our squad and i feel any manager with these resources would have us in 8th at the minimum not struggling over the line. The sometimes baffling tactics/subs are seen by all inc players so no wonder players don't seem to either want it to work or not understand what's asked of them, Yes Puel hasn't been helped by Reed but Reed has to man up and admit they made a mistake sooner rather than later

Edited by danjosaint

Do we have to do the "I have been to moe games than you etc". Granted I have not been the last few away as I just don't think it justifys the outlay at present but I had enough away credits to be in the first allocation of every away game this year... And there was a lot of pretty dull games away too.

What a curious reaction! I have searched my post and can't find the words "I have been to more away games than you" anywhere.

Hope for your sake you made it to Watford, Sunderland, Bournemouth, Wet Spam, West Brom, Boro. Or perhaps Liverpool, Man City or Leicester for good draws. If not perhaps you watched us win with clean sheets at Arsenal and Liverpool en route to a great family day out at Wembley.

Yes? Or were you just typing away on here getting angry?

It's not the league position or the cup final, it's the tactics/performances that we have to sit through - his style of football is dull and frustrating. I'd rather the team finish one place below wherever he gets us and enjoy entertaining, passionate football. The squad also doesn't appear to be much of a 'team' either.

and yet oddly we have had the 8th most shots on target of any team in the PL

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/clubs/ontarget_scoring_att?se=54

have actually had the most crosses in the PL

https://www.premierleague.com/stats

and are only 8th in the PL for backwards passes (interestingly the teams that have passed backwards more than us are oh yeah the current top 7)

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/clubs/backward_pass

there is nothing wrong with the way we play in general (though you can get **** games like hull) what has killed us this year is a totally inability to ****ing score when we get our chances. No goals = boredom which is understandable.

No team with a smaller annual income than Southampton, has more points in the Premier League this season than Southampton.

Except Everton. And West Brom and Bournemouth are level on points but are not level on income.

and are only 8th in the PL for backwards passes (interestingly the teams that have passed backwards more than us are oh yeah the current top 7)

there is nothing wrong with the way we play in general (though you can get **** games like hull) what has killed us this year is a totally inability to ****ing score when we get our chances. No goals = boredom which is understandable.

I expect there's a big difference between home and away figures. I haven't recognised any of those stats in our home games. No shots at all against Hull in the first half, for example.

I expect there's a big difference between home and away figures. I haven't recognised any of those stats in our home games. No shots at all against Hull in the first half, for example.

Possibly our away form has been decent this season but those stats are from the official PL site so they aren't just made up.

What a curious reaction! I have searched my post and can't find the words "I have been to more away games than you" anywhere.

Hope for your sake you made it to Watford, Sunderland, Bournemouth, Wet Spam, West Brom, Boro. Or perhaps Liverpool, Man City or Leicester for good draws. If not perhaps you watched us win with clean sheets at Arsenal and Liverpool en route to a great family day out at Wembley.

Yes? Or were you just typing away on here getting angry?

Check the match threads..very rarely on here during a game, home or away...

Nope didn't do any of those..must have missed em.

A stat that I would dearly love to see is goals conceded from 1st shot on target. It happened again today and I'm convinced it's over 50% of our games this season.

Anyway, useful stuff above but mostly ignored our increasingly entitled and ridiculous "fans".

Most crosses but just four goals from headers.... It's OK to have lost of ****e crosses but if 1) there is no one in the middle or 2) it sails over everyone's head then what's the point?

No goals from counter attacks?

Big chances missed is loads less than Stoke and one more than Bournemouth...

Some interesting stats on there....

Edited by Saint-Fred