Puel out

Lastman73

Today's Times:

1ab7c3a4a197c3e79b854a5696271255.png

Ironic suggestion that Puel plays favourites at the *expense* of Redmond, when earlier in the season half our fans were convinced Redmond was getting fame time he didn't deserves.

The exact same story, all over again. All no doubt copied from one, probably questionable source.

This is how momentum artificially grows, fuelled by repetition, when in fact repeating the same thing doesn't give it any more credence.

Although it is a very standard tactic employed by three-year-olds as I know from my grandson. It's the Lewis Carroll principle from The Hunting of The Snark: "If I say it three times, it is true"

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I am aware of one example which sounds like Puel is handling the player poorly. I don't know the reasons why, it could even be fully justified, but from the details I've heard it does sound very strange. The only reason I'm not comfortable posting more is that in the past some posters have taken a screenshot of the forum and tweeted players with it, which is pretty bad form.

I'm right on the fence with Puel. A cup final & 8th place is a pretty good season, however the brand of football has been awful at times and there's obviously concern about these reported bust ups with players. I've no idea what the board should do tbh.

preference for delaying the naming of his team until shortly before kick-off has also raised eyebrows and left some feeling it prevents them preparing properly for games.

Is it only me that thinks professional footballers should really be prepared to play football on a match day with out needing a lot of notice....

I appreciate that the style of our football has been pretty dour this season, but I just cant shake this 'be careful what you wish for' feeling at the moment.

I may be completely wrong, but talk of more change (manager and ownership) makes me feel nervous, as I just have a horrible feeling that over the next few seasons we could be wishing for the days of top half finishes and cup finals.

We may have the occasional peak season like last year where we finish 6th, but lets be realistic... most seasons will see Chelsea, Spurs, Man City, Arsenal, Man Utd, Liverpool and probably Everton finish above us, so finishing 8th is a great achievement and not one I think we can better regularly. The 'best of the rest' clubs probably look at us enviously.

I also cant see us having a squad as strong as we've had over the last few years for some time, we had a great crop that came through the divisions (Lallana, Schneiderlin, Fonte, etc) and we added to it brilliantly (Mane, Pelle, Wanyama, Clyne, etc) and im not so sure thats going to be easy to replicate. Losing your best players every year will catch up wth you eventually, the law of averages tells you that we will sign a few duffs as replacements (some may say thats happened in the last 12 months)

A new manager may inject some much needed life into the squad/club, but please dont assume it will... traditionally, regular manager changes usually sees a club head downwards (unless you are Chelsea!).

So I'm not a Puel In or a Puel Out man right now.... I'm just bloody confused and undecided! Anyone else in that camp?

*Puts on tin hat*

I feel as though Puel has been stitched up a bit to be honest.

# we all knew we needed a striker in the summer.

# we all knew we needed a Fonte replacement.

# poor recruitment leaving us with a physically small and weak squad and no real aerial threats in our side.

# injuries to Van Dijk and Austin.

# fans moaning about rotation of the squad, when it could be argued that rotation was a key factor in progressing to a Wembley final and dealing with an unprecedented number of games.

# one of the worst shot conversion rates in the league.

Ultimately the style of play, particularly at home, will be his un-doing, but we were shipping goals (11 in 4 games vs Swansea, West Ham, Man Utd and Watford) so I'm not really surprised by the way we have set up more negatively recently in order to protect Stephens and Yoshida.

I don't actively want Puel out, but probably wouldn't bat an eye-lid too much if he did go.

We're going to finish 8th and we reached a cup final. A disappointment that we didn't get out of the group stage of the Europa league but all in all it has been a pretty good season. The football has been a bit stodgy at times but to give the man a three year contract and sack him after one year based upon those results seems very harsh indeed. For a first season after losing Wanyama, Mane and Pelle last summer is not a bad achievement at all.

So on the face of things it would be foolhardy to sack him when there is no-one obvious to replace him. Saying all of that, the unknown factor is what his relationship is like with the players. We can guess but none of us actually know. If there are big splits in the camp with players threatening to leave then the Board have to decide between letting those players go or letting the manager go. We are heading down a very dangerous path by letting the players get their way especially when you look at how one or two have performed this season. I realise players now have power in the game but you the by sacking him because of player unrest you are basically letting the players pick the manager. That will only end up one way.

This is a pivotal time for the club with a massive decision to be made. Get it right and we will be looking at top 8 again next season. Get it wrong and we could be staring a relegation fight in the face.

# poor recruitment leaving us with a physically small and weak squad and no real aerial threats in our side.

# fans moaning about rotation of the squad, when it could be argued that rotation was a key factor in progressing to a Wembley final and dealing with an unprecedented number of games.

Ultimately the style of play, particularly at home, will be his un-doing, but we were shipping goals (11 in 4 games vs Swansea, West Ham, Man Utd and Watford) so I'm not really surprised by the way we have set up more negatively recently in order to protect Stephens and Yoshida.

I don't actively want Puel out, but probably wouldn't bat an eye-lid too much if he did go.

Pretty much agree I'm not convinced many other managers would have got much more out of the current team given the squads obvious short comings given a poor summer transfer window.

preference for delaying the naming of his team until shortly before kick-off has also raised eyebrows and left some feeling it prevents them preparing properly for games.

Is it only me that thinks professional footballers should really be prepared to play football on a match day with out needing a lot of notice....

Clearly it would be more beneficial for the players to know in advance. More focused planning tends to yield better results in most walks of life. Of course in an ideal world players would prepare meticulously for every game and every scenario regardless of whether they are picked, but pyschologically that's not realistic, especially if you're a player who doesn't normally play.

Imagine if you were asked to write a report at work for a weekly meeting, only to find that most of the time no-one bothered to look at it. Even if you continue writing the report, chances are you'll stop busting a gut over it each week and would just do the minimum necessary.

If we finish 10th or above and have been to a cup final , it is shameful to sack the manager. I understand fans frustrations sitting through 0-0 draws but overall Puel should be allowed to develop the team with his squad.

We need a cutting edge and we perhaps will be a very decent side next season.

As Souness said the other night, it is the board who sold the players but they wont hold their hands up.

Three seasons ago we finished 8th and lost to Sunderland in both cups, but loved the manager (despite his poor interviews with his translator).

This season we will probably finish 8th and also got to a cup final, but want the manager out.

It can only be the poor crablike football played at home as the away games have not been so bad. I don't have a problem with Puel staying provided he only plays one of Tadic, Boufal, Redmond (or any other enigma) at a time, and gets a couple of more dynamic (and goal scoring) midfielders .

Looking at the bigger picture we are 8th in the league, We reached a cup final. Considering the Fonts situation / lack of striker injuries to Van D and Austin I think Puel has done Ok.

Look at the development of youth we have pushed on with McQueen, Sims, Stephens. Yes some players have gone backwards / become stale this is football it happens ( failure to adapt to new playing styles / methodology.

What are Saints fans expecting top 6? Who realistically could we get in to take us further? Marco Silva? Don't be deluded......

We lack the ability to finish we need to be clinical maybe better finishing training or better firepower? This could be resolved straight away with Gabba and Austin. It's not like we are not creating chances.... Go check the statistics.

Give Puel another year and back him in the window to iron out weaknesses / get rid of deadwood if we finish 8th next season and have a decent cup run so be it. We march on!

Clearly it would be more beneficial for the players to know in advance. More focused planning tends to yield better results in most walks of life. Of course in an ideal world players would prepare meticulously for every game and every scenario regardless of whether they are picked, but pyschologically that's not realistic, especially if you're a player who doesn't normally play.

Imagine if you were asked to write a report at work for a weekly meeting, only to find that most of the time no-one bothered to look at it. Even if you continue writing the report, chances are you'll stop busting a gut over it each week and would just do the minimum necessary.

I read interview with much maligned Eric Black a while back who said you have to do everything to keep a modern PL footballers happy because if they can find any hint of excuse they will take it this seems like one of those excuses to me.

I read interview with much maligned Eric Black a while back who said you have to do everything to keep a modern PL footballers happy because if they can find any hint of excuse they will take it this seems like one of those excuses to me.

Not sure our points are mutually exclusive. It's nearly always better to plan, but may not be the reason we haven't been doing well. I think Black is right, but by the same token it doesn't always mean players are wrong to be concerned about something.

The powers that be will know whether CP is staying or not, and if not they will have already been putting feelers out for a possible replacement. So i would expect the CP decision to come next week if he'll be leaving and hopefully a new man in place within a few weeks so they have the full summer to plan.

Three seasons ago we finished 8th and lost to Sunderland in both cups, but loved the manager (despite his poor interviews with his translator).

This season we will probably finish 8th and also got to a cup final, but want the manager out.

It can only be the poor crablike football played at home as the away games have not been so bad. I don't have a problem with Puel staying provided he only plays one of Tadic, Boufal, Redmond (or any other enigma) at a time, and gets a couple of more dynamic (and goal scoring) midfielders .

It's not just the football. Sorry to say it, but some fans are judging him on his personality and simply don't like him.

Although it's an interesting question as to whether his quiet, careful (yes, maybe dull) approach to interviews and presumably interaction with players does contribute to our football style.

I am actually prepared to accept the possibility of a correlation, if you consider the outward character of other Premier managers compared with the style of football played. For example, Klopp the extrovert, Wenger restrained, Poch calm but with a clear intensity.

Just a thought.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Edited by Shroppie

We're going to finish 8th and we reached a cup final. A disappointment that we didn't get out of the group stage of the Europa league but all in all it has been a pretty good season. The football has been a bit stodgy at times but to give the man a three year contract and sack him after one year based upon those results seems very harsh indeed. For a first season after losing Wanyama, Mane and Pelle last summer is not a bad achievement at all.

So on the face of things it would be foolhardy to sack him when there is no-one obvious to replace him. Saying all of that, the unknown factor is what his relationship is like with the players. We can guess but none of us actually know. If there are big splits in the camp with players threatening to leave then the Board have to decide between letting those players go or letting the manager go. We are heading down a very dangerous path by letting the players get their way especially when you look at how one or two have performed this season. I realise players now have power in the game but you the by sacking him because of player unrest you are basically letting the players pick the manager. That will only end up one way.

This is a pivotal time for the club with a massive decision to be made. Get it right and we will be looking at top 8 again next season. Get it wrong and we could be staring a relegation fight in the face.

Two very good posts.

Completely drowned by those on here tbh

I suggest you buy a box of Balsam Tissues soon because your constant crying on here will have your nose very sore.

If the board and players are not happy with Puel he will go no matter what a handful of people on a

message board say.

I must have missed all the marches and protests outside of SMS by all the Puel out rampant mob.

Most have given valid reasons why yet you and 2 or 3 others bleat like big girls blouses about it over and over again.

Puel has done a decent job given the lack of support from the board but is he going to take us on....not in my opinion going by his lack of tactical nous and treatment of some players who it seems are unhappy if reports are to be believed.

Its the fans fault sob sob not the fact his tactics are ever to blame. I have posted several times I think his support staff are as bad and not helped him.

Have I mentioned about Stuart Taylor signing yet....

The neighbour's cat could have taken this squad to 8th and the League Cup final. The Premier league was utter dross bar the top 7 this year, so those achievements do not necessarily reflect well on Claude I am afraid. He is gone.

You could say the same about Koeman last year.

If we are to get rid (and I'm no real fan of Claude's) then I hope that the ownership deliberations don't delay our next appointment. The time it took us to appoint Puel in the summer set us back a bit I think.

The neighbour's cat could have taken this squad to 8th and the League Cup final. The Premier league was utter dross bar the top 7 this year, so those achievements do not necessarily reflect well on Claude I am afraid. He is gone.

Our team is no where near as good you seem to think it is. Replacing the likes of Morgan and Victor with Clasie and Hoj and having JWP as intregal part of our midfield. Going into a season with Austin, Jrod and Long as our strikers . I'm pretty surprised we haven't finished lower tbh.

I suggest you buy a box of Balsam Tissues soon because your constant crying on here will have your nose very sore.

If the board and players are not happy with Puel he will go no matter what a handful of people on a

message board say.

I must have missed all the marches and protests outside of SMS by all the Puel out rampant mob.

Most have given valid reasons why yet you and 2 or 3 others bleat like big girls blouses about it over and over again.

Puel has done a decent job given the lack of support from the board but is he going to take us on....not in my opinion going by his lack of tactical nous and treatment of some players who it seems are unhappy if reports are to be believed.

Its the fans fault sob sob not the fact his tactics are ever to blame. I have posted several times I think his support staff are as bad and not helped him.

Lol its your "like" that are doing the snivelling an whinnying

The post was in reference to the neutrals being influenced by the those negatives post nothing more but you crack on

Particularly like this bit in bold its the moaning that is posted over and over, go check.. oh and big girls blouse... what is that ... :lol:

Edited by ALWAYS_SFC

message board say.

Lol! Yup...

Looking at the bigger picture we are 8th in the league, We reached a cup final. Considering the Fonts situation / lack of striker injuries to Van D and Austin I think Puel has done Ok.

Look at the development of youth we have pushed on with McQueen, Sims, Stephens. Yes some players have gone backwards / become stale this is football it happens ( failure to adapt to new playing styles / methodology.

What are Saints fans expecting top 6? Who realistically could we get in to take us further? Marco Silva? Don't be deluded......

We lack the ability to finish we need to be clinical maybe better finishing training or better firepower? This could be resolved straight away with Gabba and Austin. It's not like we are not creating chances.... Go check the statistics.

Give Puel another year and back him in the window to iron out weaknesses / get rid of deadwood if we finish 8th next season and have a decent cup run so be it. We march on!

McQueen & Stephens would have been given a chance whoever was in charge. Puel had no choice but to throw these in due to injuries to Bertrand, VVD & Targett.

If Puel stays, which I am now convinced he wont, I hope the club are prepared to replace a number of first team players and to stomach the loss of ST revenue.

Puel will go. Too many unhappy players and fans for the club to risk him having a second year.

You dont think this forum + 606 + Facebook and twitter is a good sample of Saints fans?

The problem with this is that they are all self selecting, and thsoe who self selct normally have a drum to bang. As one who supports retianing Puel and is fully aware of mediocrity of our home performances have largely stayed out of the debate. I beleive he deserves another year there have been many postives this season . I also find it hilarious that the Puel out mob cant even decide on a replacement with a largely unproven relegation manager seeming to be favourite, based on this forum + 606 + Facebook and twitter .

Lol its your "like" that are doing the snivelling an whinnying

The post was in reference to the neutrals being influenced by the those negatives post nothing more but you crack on

Particularly like this bit in bold its the moaning that is posted over and over, go check.. oh and big girls blouse... what is that ... :lol:

Read back your post history you do nothing else...

The problem with this is that they are all self selecting, and thsoe who self selct normally have a drum to bang. As one who supports retianing Puel and is fully aware of mediocrity of our home performances have largely stayed out of the debate. I beleive he deserves another year there have been many postives this season . I also find it hilarious that the Puel out mob cant even decide on a replacement with a largely unproven relegation manager seeming to be favourite, based on this forum + 606 + Facebook and twitter .

Why do the Puel out mob have to decide on a replacement? Our blackbox already has a number of candidates surely?

I agree its harsh given what he has had to endure from our board - maybe he will get another year and backing in the market...just a question do you think Koeman/Poch/Pardew would have put up with us not signing a centre half in January?

How come with all Puels knowledge of French football we couldnt find one defender suitable and had to rely on a player that hadn't played for a year and not fit to start 1 minute in 12 games?

Our team is no where near as good you seem to think it is.

We have the 7th best squad in the league -

:| we should be competitive against the top 6 teams (zero league wins all season)

:| We should not be 15 points adrift of Everton

:| We should be well clear of WBA and AFCB (not 1 point above)

:| We should have scored more than 17 at home all season

:| we should have comfortably beaten HBS and Prague

Our squad is arguably not as good as previous seasons and for that I blame Reed, but its still the 7th best and very capable of playing some decent football (EFL cup final proved that)

Tbf to Puel he converted McQueen into a left back and I can guarantee you when bertrand and targett were injured Koeman would have put Yoshida/Martina at left back instead of trying to make McQueen a wing back so I think that's wrong.

Koeman shipped out Stephens on loan without giving him a chance in pre-season I think and the board weren't happy with that so not sure Stephens would've been chosen by other managers over the experience of Caceres.

I agree that Puel will probably go and he has his flaws but he has done well with the youth so think it's unfair to say he hasn't.

We have the 7th best squad in the league -

:| we should be competitive against the top 6 teams (zero league wins all season)

:| We should not be 15 points adrift of Everton

:| We should be well clear of WBA and AFCB (not 1 point above)

:| We should have scored more than 17 at home all season

:| we should have comfortably beaten HBS and Prague

Our squad is arguably not as good as previous seasons and for that I blame Reed, but its still the 7th best and very capable of playing some decent football (EFL cup final proved that)

I think you'll find points 1 and 2 are negatively affected by number 5 and vice versa, and we'd scored 17 goals at home by 11th December, so I have NO idea what you're on about there. We've actually scored 28 home goals this season, and 35 away.

McQueen & Stephens would have been given a chance whoever was in charge. Puel had no choice but to throw these in due to injuries to Bertrand, VVD & Targett.

If Puel stays, which I am now convinced he wont, I hope the club are prepared to replace a number of first team players and to stomach the loss of ST revenue.

Puel will go. Too many unhappy players and fans for the club to risk him having a second year.

People keeping saying he had no choice playing the youth of course he did managers all over the PL play senior players out of their natural position rather than throw on an untried youth.

Edited by doddisalegend

I think you'll find points 1 and 2 are negatively affected by number 5 and vice versa, and we'd scored 17 goals at home by 11th December, so I have NO idea what you're on about there. We've actually scored 28 home goals this season, and 35 away.

17 league goals

Looks like Gabbi hasn't been told that the players are unhappy.

http://www.bing.com/news/apiclick.aspx?ref=BDIGeneric&aid=C98EA5B0842DBB9405BBF071E1DA7651530FFE51&tid=08B1DD0329A3478BBD3F3747C973C285&url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.skysports.com%2ffootball%2fnews%2f11700%2f10883203%2fsouthamptons-manolo-gabbiadini-unfazed-by-goal-drought&c=7150557853520269227&mkt=en-gb

I am happy and the team is happy as well. When I arrived I was in front of 90,000 people playing at Wembley, it was very positive for me and my team-mates, it has been a very positive season."

Looks like Gabbi hasn't been told that the players are unhappy.

http://www.bing.com/news/apiclick.aspx?ref=BDIGeneric&aid=C98EA5B0842DBB9405BBF071E1DA7651530FFE51&tid=08B1DD0329A3478BBD3F3747C973C285&url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.skysports.com%2ffootball%2fnews%2f11700%2f10883203%2fsouthamptons-manolo-gabbiadini-unfazed-by-goal-drought&c=7150557853520269227&mkt=en-gb

I am happy and the team is happy as well. When I arrived I was in front of 90,000 people playing at Wembley, it was very positive for me and my team-mates, it has been a very positive season."

Has he even had a chance in those games during his goal draught? The penalty vs Utd the only one I can remember. Feel sorry for him, we have not played to his strengths recently.

I'm right on the fence with Puel. A cup final & 8th place is a pretty good season, however the brand of football has been awful at times and there's obviously concern about these reported bust ups with players. I've no idea what the board should do tbh.

I think you speak for many of us there. On the face of it, he has hit targets and taken us to Wembley. However, have we been entertained and enjoyed the season? No. Hard to decide whether to release him when you don't know the other option if he should go. If you told me Martin Allen was incoming, then I'd probably give Puel another season. An exciting young manager with a reputation for attacking football, then I want Puel out. I am happy to let the Club directors make the decision.

17 league goals

Not 17 goals though, and the general ignorance of the effect other competitions have had on our league position this season is the comical thing about all this "Puel out" balls. Not a single one of the critics has come up with a better way of dealing with the challenges the schedule alone has provided than the one we adopted.

Every argument is "we should attack more", "we should score more", "we should pick the best team all the time". NONE of those are viable approaches in the context of a wider season. Next year will be different unless we get to BOTH domestic cup finals.

Not 17 goals though, and the general ignorance of the effect other competitions have had on our league position this season is the comical thing about all this "Puel out" balls. Not a single one of the critics has come up with a better way of dealing with the challenges the schedule alone has provided than the one we adopted.

Every argument is "we should attack more", "we should score more", "we should pick the best team all the time". NONE of those are viable approaches in the context of a wider season. Next year will be different unless we get to BOTH domestic cup finals.

That is a very good post...

Ultimately the club (Uncle Les et. al.) will make the decision that they believe is best.

On one hand I think we should give Puel a chance and whilst the quality hasn't been there on the pitch I think he has managed a difficult season well (lots of games, compressed schedule and unfortunate injuries). However our points total isn't great (although I'd point to the Christmas period as being a critical factor - we had a really poor run coupled with the worst schedule of all clubs).

I do think there's a danger that managers aren't given enough time to deliver. Whilst you can bring in a Conte to manage a bunch of world class players - if you're in the next pack down like Saints, you have more of a building job to do. And that takes more than one season in my opinion.

Only the club can know what the player relationships are like (all I see is some on-pitch bickering which could be a bad sign) and if they think there are issues there I think he'll go.

Time will tell.

I don't think anyone gives a **** where we will finish in the league more the putting nails in your eye's to get there !

I don't think anyone gives a **** where we will finish in the league more the putting nails in your eye's to get there !

I'm hoping the club are going to get in Roberto Martínez young, loves attacking football, thinks defending is for ****s should make for a much more entertaining season.

I don't think anyone gives a **** where we will finish in the league more the putting nails in your eyes to get there !

So why all the complaints about our final league position, or the bedwetting when we spend a couple of weeks in 14th with games in hand?

So why all the complaints about our final league position, or the bedwetting when we spend a couple of weeks in 14th with games in hand?

Where's all the complaints about our league position?

I'm hoping the club are going to get in Roberto Martínez young, loves attacking football, thinks defending is for ****s should make for a much more entertaining season.

That would in the "be careful what you wish for" category

Then people would be going "Oh ffs why are we so open, we need to be a bit more cautious as we are conceding to many" :lol:

This is so true, and pretty much the crux of the matter which leads to a lot of this seasons discontent. We will sack CP, but I actually worry about the next guy - what will he have to achieve to keep his job?

I understand that the club are ambitious but you really do have to look at where your ceiling is each season, not just in five years time or whatever. Where was our ceiling this year - probably around where we are if we are all truthful. CP has got us to the top of our league, got to a cup final and is likely to get the bullet.

Will we be able to emulate that next season, I don't think it will be easy to get a better league position, and how often do we reach a cup final - once every 8 - 10 years? We may need to install a revolving managers door as part of the stadium face lift.

Edited by Micky