Puel out

Lastman73

What do you call 'really bad' and where do you think any other manager is going to get us next season - where will we finish....??? Really bad from currently 8th is where....????

I think Puel should leave as I doubt any manager will get us higher than 8th next season as the top teams buy all the best players

and it is players who ultimately win matches

Silva good enough for Porto but not us apparently. Looking forward to seeing who Les thinks is better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Considering the likely state of our squad next season maybe we should be looking at Fat Sam he actually stops clubs from getting relegated (which might come in handy next season)

What do you call 'really bad' and where do you think any other manager is going to get us next season - where will we finish....??? Really bad from currently 8th is where....????

Really bad = close to the bottom or worst case relegation battle. 5 wins out of the 18 last games. 0 goals in last 5 home games. Freeaking mystery we finished 8th (ofc the Pro-puel camp can't see this)

I think we finish around the same next year in the table, but with better football and more points. Hard to predict though when the transfer window hasn't even opened.

Really bad = close to the bottom or worst case relegation battle. 5 wins out of the 18 last games. 0 goals in last 5 home games. Freeaking mystery we finished 8th (ofc the Pro-puel camp can't see this)

I think we finish around the same next year in the table, but with better football and more points. Hard to predict though when the transfer window hasn't even opened.

The best bit of our squad this year has been the defence which is the bit that looks likely to get sold off this summer. We will still have the same bang average, ponderous midfield and mis-firing attack but with the decent defence behind it also gone. Unless we have an outstanding summer transfer window we are going to struggle to get anywhere near the highlighted part.

When they do it on match day one at half time when the score is 0-0.

He is not an inept manager, he is a good manager, but not a great one. With good finishing and not conceding with the first shot on target for over half the games we would have at least 15 more points.

Nothing this season has warranted booing. It is pointless and unproductive. Helps the team in no way whatsoever.

And don't get me started on the vitriol aimed at players like Redmond.

I'm proud to be a Saint but really disappointed in our fans this season.

How do you think fans should express themselves at games if they are unhappy ?

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Silva good enough for Porto but not us apparently. Looking forward to seeing who Les thinks is better

Love the attempt to knock Les Reed but it may be that silva thinks Porto is good enough for him but not Saints.

Just curious but is the dislike of Black based on any knowledge whatsoever?

With regard to press conferences This is all any manager says:

"W and X are injured, Y is back in training but not available, Z has recovered and will play some part.

Tomorrows opponents are a very tough side to beat and we will have to be at our best to beat them.

With regard to transfers we do not comment on rumours and have no need or intention to sell anyone.

If anyone is brought in you will be the first to know when the deal is signed"

It doesn't take a great coach to deliver that and the last Manager that did but impressed the press (and fans at the time) was Harry Rednapp.

My Leicester supporting mate sent me this text this morning

"Another good season for you guys"

Obviously, he's just one bloke, but I'm pretty sure most non saints supporters think similar.

Most none saints supporters haven't spent thousands watching gash all season !

Obviously, he's just one bloke, but I'm pretty sure most non saints supporters think similar.

You clearly weren't in Prague, that's when he lost me, even Wembley didn't help.

Interesting listening to The Times podcast whilst I was walking the dog. They have their ratings for the season. A-F with + & -'s allowwd . 3 journos & 1 ex pro . All gave us a B ( for perspective Everton got 2x B & 2c+). Points were based on how you did compared to your squad, spend, & wages together with expectations (city got c-) . Only Chelsea, Spurs , Liverpool , Burnley & Boscombe were above us in their ratings. Again, it's just a bit of fun, but it shows others perception of our season . Here's a question for the Puel out mob. Is there any neutrals, pundits or journos that think Puel should be sacked ? Neutral meaning non Saints.

Interesting listening to The Times podcast whilst I was walking the dog. They have their ratings for the season. A-F with + & -'s allowwd . 3 journos & 1 ex pro . All gave us a B ( for perspective Everton got 2x B & 2c+). Points were based on how you did compared to your squad, spend, & wages together with expectations (city got c-) . Only Chelsea, Spurs , Liverpool , Burnley & Boscombe were above us in their ratings. Again, it's just a bit of fun, but it shows others perception of our season . Here's a question for the Puel out mob. Is there any neutrals, pundits or journos that think Puel should be sacked ? Neutral meaning non Saints.

The footballing world also didn't want/think that Ranieri should be sacked but its hard to deny that Shakespeare improved them. I bet your Leicester supporting mate would admit they were watching dross under Claudio at the end.

TBF I think there are a far few of those on here

:lol: :lol:

Sweepstake on which one of your other supporting club friends comes out next to congratulate us on a fantastic season.... I'm going for Newcastle.

FWIW i would have swapped our season for theirs (Leicester) every day of the week.

Yep, Adrian Durham feels the same as most of us after watching a few of our games this season, probably a few more than your average pundit to be honest....

It's easy to look at the table and think 'wow another great year for little Southampton' as you clearly do, it take someone of a little more intelligence (not a great deal as is really not hard to grasp) to actually review performances, targets & squad harmony...

I cannot wait to see your reaction when he goes :D

I actually think there is a difference between "what we achieved this season" and "what our prospects are for the future". The first one looks at our position in the league and results in cups, and considers fixture congestion, spend etc as mitigating factors. The second considers squad harmony, areas for potential for improvement and areas ripe for deterioration.

I don't think anyone disputes that in terms of the end result of this season, it hasn't been bad, maybe even pretty good under difficult circumstances. However, I'm sure most people on here feel that there are more reasons to be concerned with our current performances than excited. Add that to reports of general low morale amongst the players (rather than one bad egg), and our prospects of doing better next season don't look quite so rosy after all.

Yup, other supporters think that Saints fans are utterly deluded.

I have to say, I agree with them.

Or, I suspect, other supporters are making a judgement on our season by looking at the table.....

Firing a manager for finishing 8th in the PL is just silly. If I were another manager it would seriously make me reconsider coming here. I mean what is the goal here if it's not to finish top 10?

- to entertain the season ticket holders?

- to score more than 17 league goals in 19 home games?

- to have a bigger gap than 6 points from 17th place?

None of which Puel managed to do.

Good lord, I'm finding myself agreeing with you.

Yup, other supporters think that Saints fans are utterly deluded.

I have to say, I agree with them.

Or, I suspect, other supporters are making a judgement on our season by looking at the table.....

They seem to only look at the league place of 8th.

Not the small points total, lack of goals at home and big drop off from the last 3 years or 56, 60 & 63 points.

Firing a manager for finishing 8th in the PL is just silly. If I were another manager it would seriously make me reconsider coming here. I mean what is the goal here if it's not to finish top 10?

We were closer to being relegated than we were to the next team above us in the table.

Possibly but those from 9th down would like to be 8th

1 extra win, or draw in some cases, from a number of teams and they would have been. I certainly wouldn't be that jealous....

Amazing isn't it. They look at the table after everyone has played each other twice, and have formed the opinion we're the 8th best team in England. ****ing clueless halfwits.

TBF their view of Southampton is that we are that tiny club on the South Coast who should be in the Championship. Therefore even staying up deserves a high mark, let alone 8th. It's shown by the marking down of Everton who are, in their view, massively bigger than us so 7th isn't so good and being only x points in front of us is a poor season.

in a nutshell this - if wanting to be entertained and see my team win and score goals makes me deluded then I'm happy with that tag.

Amazing isn't it. They look at the table after everyone has played each other twice, and have formed the opinion we're the 8th best team in England. ****ing clueless halfwits.

Why so worried about what others think?

You have made your point 100 times and we get it.

Some want Puel to stay, some want him to leave.. One will be happy come the start of the season and then they will be proved right/wrong at that time.

Could be he stays and we go down..then you are proved wrong..could be he goes, we get someone new and we go down so the ones who want him gone are proved wrong.

At least if he goes you can say that you were right forever more no matter what happens!

What's the point in covering the same ground over and over and over and over and over...

TBF their view of Southampton is that we are that tiny club on the South Coast who should be in the Championship. Therefore even staying up deserves a high mark, let alone 8th. It's shown by the marking down of Everton who are, in their view, massively bigger than us so 7th isn't so good and being only x points in front of us is a poor season.

I can't see much wrong with that analysis.

Look beyond your nose......it's not league position most people are unhappy with!!!!

Please don't feed the trolls. They've never had it so good.

We were closer to being relegated than we were to the next team above us in the table.

Irrelevant, we finished 8th, all of the teams belowe us would have suffered relegation before us. We finished 8th, the best of the rest. All of the teams below us were closer to relegation than we were.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

after watching for the last 57 years, i honestly believe if Puel stays we will be fighting relegation next season.

Poor home form, one system which is easy to suss out, no adventure or midfield players who can hurt defenders with early passes or are afraid to try for fear of losing possession.

A manager who is stubborn, mixed with a coach who knows all about failure , all the ingredients are at SMS

The quality of entertainment stinks, stars of the past must be horrified by the "crab football"

So much short-sighted stuff about the league position. Do these people constantly find themselves surprised? 'But we were the 8th best team, what happened?!'

8th-17th were largely rubbish. Many of those teams were on the beach the last month or even longer in some cases. You could basically put most those sides in any order to finish the season, it's utterly ridiculous to base decisions over the future on any of those positions this season. If you don't believe in your manager, you don't suddenly declare it a successful season because your 'rivals' all fcked up their last couple of games. You get to the point where a good or bad season comes down to one win.

I get criticism from outsiders. They haven't watched, they don't know players are underperforming, they haven't watched the dire football and probably just see the table saying 8th. Not the huge drop in points, the lack of goals and worrying downward trajectory. It's been a pathetic league season saved by the incompetence of other teams.

Some can't seem to see the difference between 8th and a proper part of the top 8, close in points, positive goal difference and giving the best teams a good game, compared to 8th as the random top of the rubbish, 6 points off 17th and performing badly. Which gives you more hope for the following season and more confidence in the manager?

Another 15 points and 15 goals and I'm sure no one is complaining about 8th.

Other than Tadic which players are under performing?

JWP has improved but is still ****

Forster was ropey last season to (bar a six game period) this season he has been exposed as the quality of players in front of him has gone down

Davis isn't any worse but age is catching up with him

Long has averaged about six goals a season in the top flight his entire career apart from one (yes he is worse than last year but has basically returned to his normal self)

Jrod had his best season since his injury

Romeu has been better (whether that is coaching or game time will come down to agenda)

Clasie was **** last season and **** this season

Cedric improved (see Romeu)

Yoshida improved (see Cedric)

Bertrand has been good again this season

The rest are either youngsters or new signings I cant see anyone can claim Stephens or McQueen have underperformed. Rather than our 15pt drop being all down to the manager (who has made mistakes granted) perhaps its also down to selling off our best players every season and for the first time getting summer recruitment horribly wrong leaving us with a bang average midfield and (being generous) mid table strikers in a team lacking pace, physicality and leadership across the pitch.

Heard a rumour Les Reed & Ross Wilson fell asleep during the season review.

Ralph told them both to get in there and sack Puel quickly. That was 8:30 Monday morning. It's now been them sat there for two days, six coffee breaks, two lunches and still nothing.

Edited by CB Fry