Puel out

Lastman73

So...that's Mazzarri gone at Watford, Allardyce gone at Palace - if we want to make a change, we better get on with it quick otherwise the talented options out there will be sniffed up.

There's nothing to say we haven't been talking to potential managers for several weeks, behind the scenes

Ah the fat **** with a grudge against us write another piece that some might think a load of ******** - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4535064/Shame-journeymen-players-managers-fired.html OK, he goes on about selling our best players and where do we expect to be, but these two quotes are what Ducky goes with.

Puel's performance this season has been highly creditable, despite accruing 17 fewer points than last year.

Eighth and a final is a decent effort.

The first one is just plain wrong, and the second suggests (or maybe reinforces the fact) that he seems to be looking at the table rather than ever watching any of our matches. We are boring beyond belief. I sat through many games post cup final not really caring what was going on on the pitch as there was an inevitability about it all. The last goal we scored at home was on 5th April FFS. And how many headlines were there when "bore draw" was mentioned about our games? Plenty, but he seems to overlook that and it is creditable to finish 2 points above 13th. I wonder whether it would have still been a creditable season if we had got 2 fewer points?

And like most journalists, he never seems to question the "them and us" nature of the PL.

Ah the fat **** with a grudge against us write another piece that some might think a load of ******** - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4535064/Shame-journeymen-players-managers-fired.html OK, he goes on about selling our best players and where do we expect to be, but these two quotes are what Ducky goes with.

Puel's performance this season has been highly creditable, despite accruing 17 fewer points than last year.

The first one is just plain wrong, and the second suggests (or maybe reinforces the fact) that he seems to be looking at the table rather than ever watching any of our matches. We are boring beyond belief. I sat through many games post cup final not really caring what was going on on the pitch as there was an inevitability about it all. The last goal we scored at home was on 5th April FFS. And how many headlines were there when "bore draw" was mentioned about our games? Plenty, but he seems to overlook that and it is creditable to finish 2 points above 13th. I wonder whether it would have still been a creditable season if we had got 2 fewer points?

And like most journalists, he never seems to question the "them and us" nature of the PL.

To say he doesn't question "them and us" is pony. He's always on about how unfair FFP is and how it cements the big clubs advantage.

You waffle on about "what if we got 2 less points", well we didn't . I'm sure if I posted "what if" we won the EFL cup or "what if" we scored every pen we were given , you'd soon point out that we didn't .

He sums up my thoughts exactly

"Southampton keep selling their best players, so why shouldn't it hit them? Given the club's policy where, seriously, do the owners think they should be? Eighth and a final is a decent effort"

Decent effort, not great or wonderful, or amazing, but decent. Given the circumstances, the players & the injury to VvD I think that's a pretty fair assessment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but your answer to the question of "where do you think we should be". Is 8th but playing fast attacking football, with lots of goals & excitement. Clearly, that's preferable to what we've had this season. But, who is capable of delivering that with this set of players? You may think it's preferable to finish lower in the league, but watch more "excitement ", I don't . I want us to finish as high as possible, preferably playing great football, but if not , then so be it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

What does it matter if we finish 8th or 15th, apart from a few quid which is meaningless in the grand scheme of things anyway? If we aren't competing for Europe and we aren't in a relegation battle then we are simply making up the numbers, and I won't criticise the club for that as the teams above us are miles ahead in terms of revenues. All I want from a manager is to avoid relegation, actually try and win the cups, and play football that's worth paying 40+ quid a ticket to watch.

I don't agree that this squad of players isn't capable of playing much more exciting football

Ralph told them both to get in there and sack Puel quickly. That was 8:30 Monday morning. It's now been them sat there for two days, six coffee breaks, two lunches and still nothing.

There's been lots of possibilities but the opportunities haven't come up yet.

To say he doesn't question "them and us" is pony. He's always on about how unfair FFP is and how it cements the big clubs advantage.

You waffle on about "what if we got 2 less points", well we didn't . I'm sure if I posted "what if" we won the EFL cup or "what if" we scored every pen we were given , you'd soon point out that we didn't .

"Southampton keep selling their best players, so why shouldn't it hit them? Given the club's policy where, seriously, do the owners think they should be? Eighth and a final is a decent effort"

Decent effort, not great or wonderful, or amazing, but decent. Given the circumstances, the players & the injury to VvD I think that's a pretty fair assessment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but your answer to the question of "where do you think we should be". Is 8th but playing fast attacking football, with lots of goals & excitement. Clearly, that's preferable to what we've had this season. But, who is capable of delivering that with this set of players? You may think it's preferable to finish lower in the league, but watch more "excitement ", I don't . I want us to finish as high as possible, preferably playing great football, but if not , then so be it.

I totally get what you're saying. For me I am happy to see what he does till january next season, but in all honesty if he DOES get sacked i'm not going to complain - it would be totally understandable.

One up front at home. Repeatedly. Sack the Coward.

Come on,this is unfair.

Puel has conducted himself in a dignified manner and does not deserve the abuse, or the clown the other day saying he was hoping he'd get hit on the head with the ball again. No matter what our criticisms of his teams and performances he deserves better than this.

TBF their view of Southampton is that we are that tiny club on the South Coast who should be in the Championship. Therefore even staying up deserves a high mark, let alone 8th. It's shown by the marking down of Everton who are, in their view, massively bigger than us so 7th isn't so good and being only x points in front of us is a poor season.

No they don't, they just see us finishing 8th as an acceptable and realistic position for a middle sized club like us. Only 2 bigger clubs than SFC finished below us in the Premier League, West Ham and Sunderland. Outside of the top flight I'd say only Newcastle, Leeds, Sheff Wed and Aston Villa are seen as bigger clubs. Forest, Brum, Wolves and a couple of others in the Championship could potentially be on our level. If all those clubs were in the PL at the same time SFC would still be in there with them, probably regularly fighting it out for a top half finish with an occasional very good/bad season.

What most in the press don't see, or care about really, is the mostly dull football we've sat through for 9 months, just the finishing stats.

Boring our way to 8th isn't sustainable as people will stop going and the money will dry up. That's the point. Puel out.

We are in the PL matchday income is not a big deal compared to TV money. If you are a PL Chairman a Manager who constantly delivers PL football (even boring football) like a Tony Pulis is worth more money to you than happy matchday fans that's the nature of modern football in the PL.

We are in the PL matchday income is not a big deal compared to TV money. If you are a PL Chairman a Manager who constantly delivers PL football (even boring football) like a Tony Pulis is worth more money to you than happy matchday fans that's the nature of modern football in the PL.

You do realise that the more matches that are on TV you more TV income you earn beyond the minimum requirement each team gets chosen? So sky and BT more likely to cherry pick teams that play entertaining football where possible.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

You do realise that the more matches that are on TV you more TV income you earn beyond the minimum requirement each team gets chosen? So sky and BT more likely to cherry pick teams that play entertaining football where possible.

And around about now those TV executives are doing a review of their own of our TV 0-0s and saying, 'you know what? I think we'll pass on the Saints for a bit'. Unless things change.

And around about now those TV executives are doing a review of their own of our TV 0-0s and saying, 'you know what? I think we'll pass on the Saints for a bit'. Unless things change.

Every club has to be on a minimum number of times. TV only release the first 2 months of matches once the fixtures have been announced and then work at scheduling the next batch once the season starts so most of the season will depend on later events, not what we have done in the last 2 months.

Also with Brighton being promoted, and possibly Reading they will have a couple more obvious games to pick under the guise of local derby matches (let's not start that debate again!)

Every club has to be on a minimum number of times. TV only release the first 2 months of matches once the fixtures have been announced and then work at scheduling the next batch once the season starts so most of the season will depend on later events, not what we have done in the last 2 months.

Also with Brighton being promoted, and possibly Reading they will have a couple more obvious games to pick under the guise of local derby matches (let's not start that debate again!)

Willing to bet we'll be on fewer times next season than last

Not really we were on TV the most outside the top seven this season and boro were also high on the TV games.

It won't matter if next season Burnley and Watford are more entertaining than Sammy Davis Jnr, we'll still be on TV far more than them.

It won't matter if next season Burnley and Watford are more entertaining than Sammy Davis Jnr, we'll still be on TV far more than them.

Who does he play for?

;-)

So Duckie, can you explain something about this injury with VVD - why when he wasn't playing was our points per match gained higher than when he was playing?

But you still don't get it. It's not about finishing 8th, its how we got to 8th.

So Duckie, can you explain something about this injury with VVD - why when he wasn't playing was our points per match gained higher than when he was playing?

But you still don't get it. It's not about finishing 8th, its how we got to 8th.

Happy days then can't wait to sell VVD clearly he was dragging us down in the first half of the season....

Because we signed Gabbiadini shortly after he got injured?

Pretty sure Martin Samuel criticised us last summer for going for Puel when (in his opinion) we should be giving a British manager such as Micheal O'Neil a chance considering the success he's enjoyed with the NI team. Now he's criticising us at the end of the season for reviewing Puel's position, nothing like a bit of hypocrisy. Anyone would think he had a bit of a chip of his soldier.....

Palace after Silva now, as well as Porto. But he can't be any good because he lost his last matches, or something

I'd say Hodgson is a decent fit for Palace.

They seem to do better when they get somebody on to keep things simple.

Fonte left....

The 7 or so premier league matches when Fonte and VVD were available and we were out of Europe we gained 7 points including those two brilliant home performances against Spurs and West Brom over Christmas which followed a 2 week rest.

Pretty sure Martin Samuel criticised us last summer for going for Puel when (in his opinion) we should be giving a British manager such as Micheal O'Neil a chance considering the success he's enjoyed with the NI team. Now he's criticising us at the end of the season for reviewing Puel's position, nothing like a bit of hypocrisy. Anyone would think he had a bit of a chip of his soldier.....

Martin Samuel's an arsehole quite frankly.

The 7 or so premier league matches when Fonte and VVD were available and we were out of Europe we gained 7 points including those two brilliant home performances against Spurs and West Brom over Christmas which followed a 2 week rest.

I think his point is that Fonte wasn't very good so when he left we improved.

Either way, anyone who tries to spin statistics to argue that we wouldn't have fared better with VVD in the team, is quite frankly an imbecile.

I think his point is that Fonte wasn't very good so when he left we improved.

Either way, anyone who tries to spin statistics to argue that we wouldn't have fared better with VVD in the team, is quite frankly an imbecile.

I'm not sure if you are calling me an imbecile or not, but thanks anyway.

I'm not sure if you are calling me an imbecile or not, but thanks anyway.

I'm not sure either! Not for your post alone, as you were just stating a fact. But if you're using that to support angelman's 'evidence' that we are a better team without VVD, then unfortunately yes, I am. Sorry.

I'm not sure either! Not for your post alone, as you were just stating a fact. But if you're using that to support angelman's 'evidence' that we are a better team without VVD, then unfortunately yes, I am. Sorry.

No I hadn't read that far back, I was merely pointing out even without the usual excuses ,Europa Commitments ,Injuries etc we didn't fair that much better. Of course we would have done better if VVD had not been injured. Although in my opinion that alone wouldn't have solved the main problems, which I see as ponderous play, not moving the ball quickly enough , failure to commit midfielders ahead of play/into the box which leads to a lack of goals.

I'm sure he would have saved a few from being conceded and probably scored a few too but the underlying problems would remain.

No I hadn't read that far back, I was merely pointing out even without the usual excuses ,Europa Commitments ,Injuries etc we didn't fair that much better. Of course we would have done better if VVD had not been injured. Although in my opinion that alone wouldn't have solved the main problems, which I see as ponderous play, not moving the ball quickly enough , failure to commit midfielders ahead of play/into the box which leads to a lack of goals.

I'm sure he would have saved a few from being conceded and probably scored a few too but the underlying problems would remain.

Agreed. Overall I am marginally in the Puel Out camp actually - hoping that, armed with more information regarding behind the scenes morale, the board will make the right choice either way - but I do find myself agreeing with a fair chunk of what the 'In' squad say.