Saints recruitment success: a myth

stevy777_x

Some transfer work, some don't. This is applicable to every club in the world. Hope this Helps.

Look at players like James (real madrid), Shaq (Bayern), Torres (Chelsea), Shevchenko (Chelsea) etc etc etc. Even well established players don't do so well .

I wouldnt cry about it, bigger things to worry about in life.

Veron was probably the biggest let down of that era. Huge name, pretty gash on the pitch

Some transfer work, some don't. This is applicable to every club in the world. Hope this Helps.

Look at players like James (real madrid), Shaq (Bayern), Torres (Chelsea), Shevchenko (Chelsea) etc etc etc. Even well established players don't do so well .

I wouldnt cry about it, bigger things to worry about in life.

Chelsea and Bayern can afford a few cock ups HTH. We really can't afford and won't survive with the volume of poor signings we are currently making.

We can flog a decent player (who can't) but unlike Bayern and Chelsea we can't offload our average/poor signings

We are stockpiling average just now and it's killing us.

Chelsea and Bayern can afford a few cock ups HTH. We really can't afford and won't survive with the volume of poor signings we are currently making.

We can flog a decent player (who can't) but unlike Bayern and Chelsea we can't offload our average/poor signings

Get a grip Glasgow, every club in the world has made good and bad transfers, with or without a black box. You can research all you want, but sometimes it just works.

Killing us? Not really. Still in premiership. Finically stable. I don’t know what you expect from Southampton. You should support a top 4 side, you’d be far more happier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spot on, stockpiling average players on huge salaries will destroy club of Southampton's size and resources as a PL force.......

So what? everyone has now decided that we have an average team full of average players now. Funny how when some of us where pointing that out the last two seasons we where shot down and told it was a good team let down by the managers. Perhaps it wasn't just the managers after all then...

So what? everyone has now decided that we have an average team full of average players now. Funny how when some of us where pointing that out the last two seasons we where shot down and told it was a good team let down by the managers. Perhaps it wasn't just the managers after all then...

Pellegrino was terrrible and we would have gone. No point trying to suggest otherwise

A team that got to Wembley twice - once with the worst manager ever though.

I dont think we are that bad but as long as I have supported Saints we have always been 2 players light. Now 4 of real quality, the big problem is no academy prospects coming up either the Prem is too high no time to bed in .

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

A team that got to Wembley twice - once with the worst manager ever though.

I dont think we are that bad but as long as I have supported Saints we have always been 2 players light. Now 4 of real quality, the big problem is no academy prospects coming up either the Prem is too high no time to bed in .

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Technically three times ;)

So Carillo was Pelligrinos pick, Boufal was Puels pick and Clasie was Koemans pick. SFC guilty of backing it's manager.

Boufal wasn't Puel's pick. He had been targeted by the club before Puel joined and thought he would be working with Koeman.

Transfers don't work out, that is football, I get the feeling that many people on here are just waiting for any stick that allows them to beat the club with it. Odd attitude for people that are fans.

It's not like the club don't know they f*cked up either, loaning Carillo out 6 months after signing him is a clear recognition of that.

For every Mane there will be a Boufal, some players are talented but however much you watch them you won't know if they are going to cut it in the league.

IMO this season's transfers have looked more like our old style of identifying targets, looking for up and coming talent from lesser leagues.

We can also clearly afford some f*ck ups, as seen by spending £50 million 6 months after spending neartly £20 million on one useless player.

I do like how we haven't played a league game yet but people are already writing off our signings and the whole squad.

Transfers don't work out, that is football, I get the feeling that many people on here are just waiting for any stick that allows them to beat the club with it. Odd attitude for people that are fans.

It's not like the club don't know they f*cked up either, loaning Carillo out 6 months after signing him is a clear recognition of that.

For every Mane there will be a Boufal, some players are talented but however much you watch them you won't know if they are going to cut it in the league.

IMO this season's transfers have looked more like our old style of identifying targets, looking for up and coming talent from lesser leagues.

We can also clearly afford some f*ck ups, as seen by spending £50 million 6 months after spending neartly £20 million on one useless player.

I do like how we haven't played a league game yet but people are already writing off our signings and the whole squad.

Spot on

I reckon I could spot and identify better players than our whole scouting dept. On my own.

Why are you not doing this for a living then?

Because the football manager generation talk a good game yet deliver nothing!

I see from this thread and the Les Reed thread we are well into the season-start "feel good" / "misplaced optimism" / "How dare you criticise the club and its staff" phase.

Wonder how long that will take once we start dropping home points to the likes of Wolves because we havent got a clue how to put the ball in the net or how to master the basics of defence...

I see from this thread and the Les Reed thread we are well into the season-start "feel good" / "misplaced optimism" / "How dare you criticise the club and its staff" phase.

Wonder how long that will take once we start dropping home points to the likes of Wolves because we havent got a clue how to put the ball in the net or how to master the basics of defence...

To be fair times have changed and most fans have now caught up. Took a while but they are now removing the rose tinted glasses

I see only a handful of fans now with blind optimism and they are coincidentally "fans" you'd bucket in the "just happy to have a club" group. Every club has a handful like that.

I think with the same management & same soundbites coming from the club a poor start will see fans react this season.

Season ticket sales are well down too I'd imagine

The recent mismanagement of the club could haunt us for a while I fear

giphy.gif

Because the football manager generation talk a good game yet deliver nothing!

I play football manager but I couldn't for one second pretend that I could identify a player IRL better than a whole team of professional scouts and analysts.

The way people talk on here they make it sound like our scouting team is deliberately picking bad players.

Despite the wonderful weather you can always rely on Alpine to add a dark cloud.

Let me get this right. When our recruitment has been successful we have been lucky but when it isnt, we arent unlucky, we are just useless?

I dont think anyone has a problem with the club being criticised. What we have a problem with is the so called fans who do nothing but criticise the club and who vanish when things are going well. I swear that they get some kind of perverse pleasure from finding fault and wallowing in it. At what point are these people going to realise that if you support clubs like Southampton, Crystal Palace, WBA etc this stuff goes with the territory. Moaning and whinging doesnt change anything. If it did we would have won the Premiership every year since its inception! If you really feel that you have to criticise constantly, then maybe try constructive criticism for a change rather than the usual wrist slitting dramatics? We haven't kicked a ball in anger in the Premiership in the new season yet but to read some posters you would think that we are already relegated. Seriously, why do you bother? There must be other things out there that you can find some pleasure in other than running down a club that you say you support.

I think this year the benefit of the doubt period will be quite short, they are going to have to deliver quickly after what they put on the field last year.

The club has had a couple of bad seasons and it is correct to be upset and criticize some of the decision making. What annoys people is the "on and on and on" brigade that won't stop trying to make their point and using every little thing that goes on a Saints to use as a stick to beat the club with, over and over again.

Gone are the days where a little bit of patience and having realistic expectations were the norm. Now it's a barrage of abuse as soon as the team-sheet is announced. Writing players off as rubbish before a ball has been kicked or after the first mistake. It's wearing for those of us who want to just enjoy the ride and hope that we will score goals and win games. When we do win we get the same cretins playing the "happy to have been proven wrong card". Give us a ****ing break will you!

The club has had a couple of bad seasons and it is correct to be upset and criticize some of the decision making. What annoys people is the "on and on and on" brigade that won't stop trying to make their point and using every little thing that goes on a Saints to use as a stick to beat the club with, over and over again.

Gone are the days where a little bit of patience and having realistic expectations were the norm. Now it's a barrage of abuse as soon as the team-sheet is announced. Writing players off as rubbish before a ball has been kicked or after the first mistake. It's wearing for those of us who want to just enjoy the ride and hope that we will score goals and win games. When we do win we get the same cretins playing the "happy to have been proven wrong card". Give us a ****ing break will you!

My thoughts exactly plus, there are some (we know who they are) who actually want us to lose

My thoughts exactly plus, there are some (we know who they are) who actually want us to lose

You want to believe that that can't be true, but time and time again it is clear that the "usual suspects" are no-where to be seen and then all of a sudden start to post what appears to be something they've had in a text file or whatever as soon as something goes bad for Saints. You can almost sense the glee in that fact that we are losing or making mistakes. These people are so hard to understand, they are the kind that revel in the failure of others so that they can look good.

I think we'd all agree that last season was bad, which other season do you refer to when you mention a "couple"?

• 3 weeks later...

Am I alone in thinking we have had a very succesful transfer window?

Gunn, Vestegaard, Armstrong, Mo and Ings. Strengthend every department.

I have pretty good faith in the coming season.

Maybe I'm bias becuase I actually support Southampton instead of bashing the club at every opportunity

Maybe I'm bias becuase I actually support Southampton instead of bashing the club at every opportunity

My view exactly, well said, I am looking forward to the season

• 2 weeks later...

"a very successful transfer window"

You have blind optimism (don't worry it's common) while others are using caution and football knowledge to evaluate - particularly when our recruitment has been so bad the last few windows.

I'll personally judge things after 10-15 games

Hoping they all come good but history tells me they wont

I still stand by my posts that selling Tadic cheaply and without like for like replacement (in assists and goals) is a big mistake

"a very successful transfer window"

You have blind optimism (don't worry it's common) while others are using caution and football knowledge to evaluate - particularly when our recruitment has been so bad the last few windows.

I'll personally judge things after 10-15 games

Hoping they all come good but history tells me they wont

I still stand by my posts that selling Tadic cheaply and without like for like replacement (in assists and goals) is a big mistake

Didn't Elyounoussi score 14 goals and get a fair few assists last season?

I actually agree that not replacing Tadic adequately will come back to bite us, but purely from a 'goals and assists' point of view, that is clearly what they have tried to do with Elyounoussi. My concern is that Tadic had exceptional creativity and our attack was lacking pace. Elyounoussi apparently doesn't appear to have either.

Didn't Elyounoussi score 14 goals and get a fair few assists last season?

I actually agree that not replacing Tadic adequately will come back to bite us, but purely from a 'goals and assists' point of view, that is clearly what they have tried to do with Elyounoussi. My concern is that Tadic had exceptional creativity and our attack was lacking pace. Elyounoussi apparently doesn't appear to have either.

If only it was that simple. Player scored X in Swiss league so likely to score Y in premier league.

Tons of examples where players excel in other countries but don't have the make up for the Premier league. With respects it's kinda Les Reed and Wilson's job to get these fundamentals right.

What do the best wingers in the Premier league have in common? A mix of pace, skill, strength, crossing / dribbling / shooting ability, endurance and confidence and ability to beat your man.

Where Tadic lacked speed he made up for this with composure and skill.

* I worry that we have paid £8m to downgrade Tadic.

* Will have a better idea after 10-15 games

I’ve mentioned on another thread that imo Wilson is nowhere near up to the task. For some reason the club think he is some kind of young wiz kid yet his transfer and contract results are frankly awful. He’s even managed to get promoted in that period !. At least Les was associated with success previously. Like you say he has managed to p&ss £300m up the wall...there is a reason nobody wants any of our players (bar Tadic who we basically gave away in today’s market prices). Can’t see him going anywhere though, maybe we can promote him again to some kind of toothless role and find a proper head of scouting.

If only it was that simple. Player scored X in Swiss league so likely to score Y in premier league.

Tons of examples where players excel in other countries but don't have the make up for the Premier league. With respects it's kinda Les Reed and Wilson's job to get these fundamentals right.

What do the best wingers in the Premier league have in common? A mix of pace, skill, strength, crossing / dribbling / shooting ability, endurance and confidence and ability to beat your man.

Where Tadic lacked speed he made up for this with composure and skill.

* I worry that we have paid £8m to downgrade Tadic.

* Will have a better idea after 10-15 games

Yes, I'm quite aware of the difference in league quality. But my point was that if we are looking for someone affordable from abroad and the main criteria is "goals and assists", then Elyounoussi had those to his name.

You have just listed all the other factors which make up a successful winger, and I agree that the scouting department are responsible for finding players with these qualities as opposed to just those who have scored and set up goals (which was my initial criticism of your post, probably just the way you worded it rather than what you actually meant).