Saints 1 MIddlesbrough 0 - Post Match

St Chalet

MotM vs Middlesbrough (Home 2016/17)  

277 members have voted

1. 1. MotM vs Middlesbrough (Home 2016/17)

Will take that all day long. Boufal obviously has the X factor. Redmond actually did well. Rodriguez I think is getting there, a real shame he didn't score that at the end. Regardless of all this I still have little faith in Puel. Just do not rate him.

Boufal feels like Mane did in his first dozen games here. Lots of promise, a lot of frustration too. Give him another dozen games and he could well become one of the premier league's superstars. It wasn't just the goal. He pulled off five or six brilliant turns and dribbles. Just need to cut out some of the mistakes, and we're all going to be a lot happier.

J-Rod's final miss ... such a shame... but the fact that after 90 mins he was still moving like greased lightning to get into that position is at least a glimmer of hope. don't write him off.

Phew! those 3 points feel very very welcome.

Defensively strong but, Boufal aside, really little creativity. Still - 3 points, top half and level with Koeman and still only 4 points of 6th.

Good to see JRod get 90 minutes for first time in 3 years and started to look pretty sharp.

It is hardly entertaining stuff and we drop everyone behind the ball when the opposition gets the ball and then are very pedestrian when we get the ball back.

Really very little to get excited about - I hope it improves as I would rather see attacking, exciting football even if we lose. This safety first approach is dull as f**k.

Saints proving yet again there's a fine margin between success and failure with the risk averse possession tactics that Puel has instilled in the team.

Whether we end up with more successes than failures at the end of the season remains to be seen.

Yes, it can be pretty dull at times but on a day like today it ends up being effective.

3 points in the bag. Top half of the table. Level on points with Koeman's Everton. We now only need 4 points in 5 games to be in the same position as last season after 20 games.

All to play for (apart from the Europa League of course!) and still too early to judge Puel IMO.

We march on...

39ef2631205d61f41292e61b1a5e0345.jpg

Poor first half, reasonable second half and one outstanding piece of quality. 3 points welcome and needed, but we really do struggle to create, especially against a disciplined side like boro were. Good substitution, and love that puel plays academy products, but we are getting rather dull under him.

We'll certainly have enough to stay up but if we didn't have Boufal and Van Dijk we'd be in serious trouble as I can't for the life of me see where our goals are going to come from other than the odd set piece and moment of magic from Boufal.

Sadly we have a lot of very limited players in the team (Davis/JWP etc.)

Saints proving yet again there's a fine margin between success and failure with the risk averse possession tactics that Puel has instilled in the team.

Whether we end up with more successes than failures at the end of the season remains to be seen.

Yes, it can be pretty dull at times but on a day like today it ends up being effective.

3 points in the bag. Top half of the table. Level on points with Koeman's Everton. We now only need 4 points in 5 games to be in the same position as last season after 20 games.

All to play for (apart from the Europa League of course!) and still too early to judge Puel IMO.

We march on...

39ef2631205d61f41292e61b1a5e0345.jpg

Good post.

Nothing wrong with that 2nd half performance at all bar the finishing. But hay, act the cu_nt because the truth doesn't suit your agenda.

Oh it was a shambles, no doubt about that. That doesn't need to be said let's be fair. But a win is a win we will take that all day. But yes, the less said about the entire performance the better.

A moment of sheer class papers over quite a few cracks but the 2nd half performance was so much better. Boufal coming into the 10 role made so much positive difference. Clasie had a really good 2nd half and Martina was our main attacking outlet in the last 30 minutes strange as it seems. J-Rod should have scored a brace; he wasn't bad overall. I thought Fonte had a good game and McQueen had his moments. Such an important win.

Lots and lots of positives to take out of that. We are short of confidence, not playing at individual best levels, but have still dug in and won ugly, produced a moment of class to win the game and kept a clean sheet. Once confidence returns and individual players form improves, we'll be fine.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Boufal pinging in a world class strike and Boro missing an open goal don't really paper over the cracks in our attacking play that much. That said, when Boufal popped up in the middle second half, it was hard not to imagine how good we could look with a front four of Tadic, Boufal, Redmond - JRod playing in our old 4-2-3-1.

Currently in SE Asia listening to matches. Just 'enjoyed' the boro match, better than previous matches listened to. I'm aware that some people think that we're not progressing but they're wrong. Last season we missed out on Europa L group stage and the League cup semi. This season we have just missed out on the Europa knockout and are in the league cup semis. We are now 10th in the league and are STILL. a club run by professional and honorable people. Finally it is still only football, an entertainment business that has given me more ups than the Star Wars series of films. Yes, I may be a little drunk (cheap Thai rum is to blame) but my original point that has been missed is that Claude Puel has actually done a bloody good job so far. If we keep our current squad for the next few years, we could be building something here. If not, well it's only a silly game. :-)

Positives: 3 points against a team that parked the bus and has only lost away once so far this season. JRod completed his first league 90 mins in 3 years. Improved performance in 2nd half. Boufal's goal was a nice, outside of the box finish. Looked pretty comfortable defending the lead in the last part of the game. Clean sheet. Hopefully Puel can build on this win going forward to the Stoke game and the Christmas schedule.

Negatives: We made a meal of beating a truly awful team with some major injury issues. Looked dreadfully uninspired and frustrated in 1st half. Lots of side to side and back passes. I usually like JWP but he was poor today, almost gift-wrapped a goal for the visitors.

Boufal pinging in a world class strike and Boro missing an open goal don't really paper over the cracks in our attacking play that much. That said, when Boufal popped up in the middle second half, it was hard not to imagine how good we could look with a front four of Tadic, Boufal, Redmond - JRod playing in our old 4-2-3-1.

Good point about the formation - I had written J-Rod off, but he was pretty good today and should have had two against his name. Redmond did well out wide when he came on allowing Boufal to have that freedom in the middle of the park, and Tadic will get better with game time - it's probably our best attacking set-up.

Good point about the formation - I had written J-Rod off, but he was pretty good today and should have had two against his name. Redmond did well out wide when he came on allowing Boufal to have that freedom in the middle of the park, and Tadic will get better with game time - it's probably our best attacking set-up.

J Rod needs a goal to get going again. Austin's injury gives him the chance. His performance today provided hope he will take it.

Take the win any day. But let's be honest. If Boufal didn't conjure up some magic it would have been a draw. I felt Classie did well as did Mc queen. A pretty poor performance but 3 points was needed and that's what we got. Hopefully we can push on now.

I thought that Clasie had a good game as well. McQueen's crossing disappointed me today.

Positives: 3 points against a team that parked the bus and has only lost away once so far this season. JRod completed his first league 90 mins in 3 years. Improved performance in 2nd half. Boufal's goal was a nice, outside of the box finish. Looked pretty comfortable defending the lead in the last part of the game. Clean sheet. Hopefully Puel can build on this win going forward to the Stoke game and the Christmas schedule.

Negatives: We made a meal of beating a truly awful team with some major injury issues. Looked dreadfully uninspired and frustrated in 1st half. Lots of side to side and back passes. I usually like JWP but he was poor today, almost gift-wrapped a goal for the visitors.

Add

Positives: Redmond coming on and playing well second half after a shocker against BeerSheva.

Negatives: No goal from a centre forward again when Charlie's not on the pitch.

Add

Positives: Redmond coming on and playing well second half after a shocker against BeerSheva.

Negatives: No goal from a centre forward again when Charlie's not on the pitch.

Also a positive: Jay playing his 1st 90 minutes in god knows how long.

* Ah! Missed that post above :)