Saints 1 MIddlesbrough 0 - Post Match

St Chalet

MotM vs Middlesbrough (Home 2016/17)  

277 members have voted

1. 1. MotM vs Middlesbrough (Home 2016/17)

First half was awful and we were lucky to not be at least 1 down. We looked a lot better when we lined up 4-2-3-1.

The 4-3-3 formation really is boring.

Felt sorry for Rodriguez, his performance deserved a goal.

:lol:

The highlighted bit is absolute rubbish, they had one scrappy chance...

So can anyone tell me how many points we need after a specific number of games to be considered not papering over the cracks?

Yeah, yeah, it's all very funny, loads of people have said the same thing...trouble is that there WERE a lot of problems in this game and we shouldn't just ignore those because we won the game with an out of the blue screamer of a goal.

Neither of them make a lot of runs on the ball - according to WhoScored, Romeu makes twice as many dribbles as either Davis or JWP, and based on watching them all, I'm surprised the delta isn't higher. Davis will run into space on the break when it's clearly open ahead of him, but he rarely looks to take on opponents and surge past people into the space beyond them.

But at least he does that. Hojbjerg does a bit too. Not sure Clasie and JWP ever do, which is why they're not a great partnership.

So can anyone tell me how many points we need after a specific number of games to be considered not papering over the cracks?

40 points after 26 games - same as last season maybe?

Our next 11 games include Burnley, WHU, Sunderland, Stoke, AFCB, Swansea and Leicester so definitely doable

Especially now we don't have a Europa cup to worry about

One scrappy chance that only came about due to a dodgy back-pass from JWP. They created absolutely nothing themselves in the entire 90 minutes, apart from one long-range shot in the second half that was never going to trouble Fraser. The idea that we were lucky not to lose is laughable.

One scrappy chance that only came about due to a dodgy back-pass from JWP. They created absolutely nothing themselves in the entire 90 minutes, apart from one long-range shot in the second half that was never going to trouble Fraser. The idea that we were lucky not to lose is laughable.

Absolutley, some just love to make up negative stuff, god knows why

Oh I'd forgotten about that! There were two scrappy chances then, the one Forster saved at the near post early on.

Yeah, yeah, it's all very funny, loads of people have said the same thing...trouble is that there WERE a lot of problems in this game and we shouldn't just ignore those because we won the game with an out of the blue screamer of a goal.

on the flip side I've seen plenty of games were we played very well and didn't get a result. The joy of football sometimes you win ugly sometimes you don't get what you deserve.

Edited by doddisalegend

personal thought we looked the better side yesterday even in the first half when we were **** poor we still looked a better side than boro.

on the flip side I've seen plenty of games were we played very well and didn't get a result. The joy of football sometimes you win ugly sometimes you get what you deserve.

Yep but the last few seasons those performances have been the exception rather than the norm, this season we started off playing well and have regressed.

Yep but the last few seasons those performances have been the exception rather than the norm, this season we started off playing well and have regressed.

Well I can only speak for home games because I don't really do away trips but I'm not sure there is much difference between the performances this season and last season from were I sit. We are an inconsistent mid table side we have been for several seasons now on our day we can play some great stuff but we are also capable of some absolute stinkers what has changed is the expectations of the fans.

Watched a full replay of the match expecting to see total dross with one good shot from Boufal being the difference between the two. In truth though the negative nellies on here are exaggerating (as per) what was an okay home performance against a team that came to be solid and defend but were not on our level in terms of quality; this with an under strength team from us as well. Yes, the first half wasn't memorable but it wasn't like Boro troubled us at all other than through our own doing. The second half was better and I'd go so far as to say that we were actually quite good and thought Rodriguez looked better for getting a full 90.

The problem is that expectations have been raised so much by our success, meaning that what in previous seasons would have been satisfactory (i.e. a fairly routine home win) is now not good enough.

They had two, both down to errors from us but ones that should have found the back of the net. Forster done a good save from Rhodes but the striker shouldn't really give him a chance given that he was only six or so yards out.

We on the other hand created nothing in the first half which isn't surprising considering our 3 central midfielders were playing defensive roles at home to Middlesbrough.

Better performance overall. We looked much more dangerous with Tadic and Boufal on the pitch and I reckon they both offer more than Redmond in nearly every aspect. Going forwards I'd start with those 2 and bring on Redmond for the last 10/15min to run at defences and inject some pace.

Brilliant to see Jay play a full match and bar the obvious miss I actually thought he looked pretty good. Held the ball up well, tried to create chances, kept up the intensity right until the end. He certainly looked better than Austin has recently. Thought McQueen also had another solid game as did Romeu.

Main negative to take away is that Ward-Prowse was awful (again). One of the worst games he's had for us and I'd say he's probably our worst CM option at the moment.

Can I come round your house for Christmas? you sound like a right laugh!!

Better performance overall. We looked much more dangerous with Tadic and Boufal on the pitch and I reckon they both offer more than Redmond in nearly every aspect. Going forwards I'd start with those 2 and bring on Redmond for the last 10/15min to run at defences and inject some pace.

Brilliant to see Jay play a full match and bar the obvious miss I actually thought he looked pretty good. Held the ball up well, tried to create chances, kept up the intensity right until the end. He certainly looked better than Austin has recently. Thought McQueen also had another solid game as did Romeu.

Main negative to take away is that Ward-Prowse was awful (again). One of the worst games he's had for us and I'd say he's probably our worst CM option at the moment.

Sorry I dont agree that Boufal and Tadic in same side if they play as wide as yesterday and in 4-3-3 formation. Boufal is alienated out wide he does his tricks and has nowhere to go up the line so gets blocked in midfield as well and loses it due to numbers.

What it also does is leaves the main forward stranded on his own in the middle - at times Jayrod had no-one within 20 yards of him as our midfield dont support the attack enough as neither comes in from the wing when the ball is on other side.

Redmond yesterday outwide in a 4-2-3-1 with Boufal in number 10 role looked far better.

Papering over the cracks though? I don't think so. Too often this board's a pandemonium of parrots knee jerking off into cyberspace.

They had two, both down to errors from us but ones that should have found the back of the net. Forster done a good save from Rhodes but the striker shouldn't really give him a chance given that he was only six or so yards out.

We on the other hand created nothing in the first half which isn't surprising considering our 3 central midfielders were playing defensive roles at home to Middlesbrough.

That can't be right. Forster doesn't make saves...

Christmas at Saint_Clark's house with special invites to Heisenburg, Alpine and Dalek.

Alpine: This Christmas tree is all tinsel and no baubles. We sold all our best baubles every summer and replaced them with tat!

Dalek: I don't think the tree will last until Christmas, if it could just last until 12:01 on boxing Day then that'd be a great Christmas, I don't care if we don't get any gifts, the tree staying up is more important.

Random Forum Bore: But the 26th is not necessarily Boxing Day...

Heisenburg: **** that I want all the gifts and I want them now, they better have batteries in them and be fully working, last year we had amazing gifts, this year I expect nothing but ****. I have opened 12 doors on my advent calendar and there's only been a chocolate in 2 of them. 2/12 is not good enough at this time of the year I...

Alpine: Yeah sorry about that, got a bit peckish...

St-Robbie: WORST CHRISTMAS EVER...Santa Claude out! Knew he wouldn't deliver...

Christmas at Saint_Clark's house with special invites to Heisenburg, Alpine and Dalek.

Alpine: This Christmas tree is all tinsel and no baubles. We sold all our best baubles every summer and replaced them with tat!

Dalek: I don't think the tree will last until Christmas, if it could just last until 12:01 on boxing Day then that'd be a great Christmas, I don't care if we don't get any gifts, the tree staying up is more important.

Heisenburg: **** that I want all the gifts and I want them now, they better have batteries in them and be fully working, last year we had amazing gifts, this year I expect nothing but ****. I have opened 12 doors on my advent calendar and there's only been a chocolate in 2 of them. 2/12 is not good enough at this time of the year I...

:lol::lol::lol:

Brililant ,but dont miss Batman out he will be upset.. or that clever **** CB fry who would answer all the cracker questions/jokes with self importance

Ha sounds about right :)

Brililant ,but dont miss Batman out he will be upset.. or that clever **** CB fry who would answer all the cracker questions/jokes with self importance

Batman would be busy typing out a summary of the Queen's Speech for those who were unable to watch it while simultaneously cooking the Christmas dinner.

Personally I think we lack physical strength up front when we play just one out and out forward, Austin, Long or Rodriguez with little support from Redmond, Boufal or Tadic plus the lack of midfield support. I would like to see Rodriguez coming in off the left, Maybe give Boufal the freedom in the centre behind Long and a choice of Sims, Redmond or Tadic on the right. I feel that Tadic is most productive on the left so if he was to play Rodriguez could switch to the right. That would give us more physicality, pace and height and four attackers instead of three. Clasie was showing forward intent both yesterday and against Arsenal so He or Hojbjerg could partner Romeu in a 4-2-3-1.

I can't see Puel buying that though as he seems hell bent on playing most of the game in our half pushing up the possession percentage but sacrificing goals for preferring to let the forward feed off scraps. Whilst many in the crowd are passive there is a rising dissatisfaction with the set up of the team and some of the negative dross on show.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ha ha ha...very good. Mind you, it is probably best to concentrate on keeping the tree up as all the rest of the things are simply a bonus !

I'm usually the most optimistic on this board but we shouldn't pretend there's a fundamental flaw in our style of play right now...the amount of times we flat out ignore forward options to pass it sideways and backwards is infuriating, and I tell you what, it was telling that after making a great run and laying the ball off before carrying on for the return, Virgil threw his hands in the air when the ball was passed back to Fonte instead.

I like Puel and loved the way we were playing earlier in the season - i'm even on record saying I thought it was the best we've played in years - but we're not playing that way now and for whatever reason that's something that needs addressing.

That can't be right. Forster doesn't make saves...

If you're gonna take the p*ss out of people who are critical you might as well get it right - no-ones denied he makes great saves, his problem is that's usually all he does. There've been signs in the last few games that he's improving though, coming out for the ball more.

Like i've said before, at our level we should be aiming to have a keeper who's better than "makes great saves every now and then". Fingers crossed he continues to improve.

GENIUS!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Can somebody help me out here, and remind when was the last time we played free-flowing high-scoring match-winning football during December? I'm only 60 so I can't remember that far back.

Got me thinking back to a time when we were just that.

From 1975 to 1983 inclusive. P45 W32 D11 L2 F84 A33.

The 2 defeats were both at home. Luton 1-0 in 77/78 and most annoying at the time, 2-0 to Brighton, in 81/82 when we would have gone top with a win.

Surprised Claude hasn't been given many plaudits for changing things at half-time, directly resulting in the goal. If nothing else, at least he has a plan B, so that's one up on Poch already.

I was just about to do exactly that when I saw your post. Great kudos to Puel for moving to a four four two that caused Boro problems and enabled Boufal to pick the ball up in a more central area, leading directly to the goal. The defence, Puel and Boufal got us that win and deserve praise.

I was just about to do exactly that when I saw your post. Great kudos to Puel for moving to a four four two that caused Boro problems and enabled Boufal to pick the ball up in a more central area, leading directly to the goal. The defence, Puel and Boufal got us that win and deserve praise.

We should go 8 - 1 - 1

Boring as hell, but to be expected with the entirely necessary player rotation required to play 9 matches in 30 days without writing any of them off completely.

I think if you look at Leicester who have heaped most of their Eggs in the CL basket they have obviously suffered looking at the table. We on the other hand are in a better position, have rotated and probably taken a safety first approach to games which has made the football less spectacular, that said I do like the fact that we have so many players who are match ready rather than just being drafted in to "put out the fire". Maya being a prime example, in and out of the team previously as his natural position is filled by Jose, whenever he came in he always looked rusty, this season with a steady run of games he is looking much more switched on.

Then add into this that only 1 of our 3/4 strikers has been able to find the net this season, and sporadically at that, concentration on defence is going to be a priority until the other 2 start sticking them away as we know they can. Sadly this doesn't make the football on view the prettiest.

We aren't either of the Mancester sides or Chelsea who can walk into the Footballers shop and say "I want that one" to anything on the shelves then be in a position to leave that player in the back of the toy cupboard until he is required. Claude is working with what he has got, and I think he has got what he has got working well, if the end product was more prolific in converting the chances then we would all be sitting with stupid smiles on our faces.

As for Boro on Sunday they were very dogged, so many times 10 men behind the ball leaving few options forward, the over riding thing to remember is that when you are watching on TV or sat in the stadium with your eyes higher than the crossbar you have a much better overall view of the pitch and the positions the players are in, than the players on the pitch.

Stunning goal from Boufal when you see him in a heap on the ground as the ball hits the back of the net you can see you threw the kitchen sink at that shot and with his wrong foot.

Brilliant haha! Just missing ALWAYS_SFC winding them all up further