The *new* striker debate thread

SuperSAINT

If we're taking anyone from WBA it should be Rondon.

Haller is a real possibility. I think Jay Rodriguez's goal before the end of the window stalled us on that deal in the summer and I'd be surprised if we didn't go for him again. We have to be wary about what's available in January though. Being out of Europe doesn't help with the quality of striker we'll be after as anyone capable of playing at that level will be reluctant to sign for a team that they don't know if they're in it or not. So Haller would be a little more of a gamble but one we could probably pull off at a decent price in January and not get absouletly robbed for an already proven striker.

In the summer we were linked in a couple of articles with Gabbiadini at Napoli. Nothing came of it, and most likely it was either idle speculation or agent hyping interest. I think Everton were offering 20m, but he preferred to stay. Saw an article a week or so ago, the likely price has fallen to 14m, but largely because he's had a bit of a barren spell for Napoli. So there's a possibility that even if a player is affordable the likelihood is he's low on confidence, and out of form. (Perhaps similar to the Berahino issue).

As someone mentioned would love to see Rondon from the Baggies. No way they'd let him go for 'our kind' of fee though, let alone mid-season in January. but Berahino on a cheap deal due to his contract situation could be good for us. I know his attitude has been worrying, but hopefully he's learned his lesson not to be a diva because it has severely hampered his career as at one point he looked a very very promising player.

In terms of continental options, Haller I know very little of, but I saw someone mention Plea as well as Ntep from the French league which in fluent Puel are both interesting players with good possibilities...

The trouble with January is your either taking a risk on a player not getting a lot of game time (which there are usually negative reasons for), or paying an over-inflated fee if you want any sort of quality guarantee and even then there are a fair few galling flops (Torres and Carroll obviously springs to mind). Austin really was a brilliant signing when you put him into the context of other players signed in this window.

Berahino please, will make runs off the shoulder and needs a new lease of life

He also needs a couple of months of physical conditioning after peeing away the last two years of his career dreaming about his future earnings, and eating.

A pointless January signing as he won't be properly fit until the last handful of games of the season at best.

Can't imagine the club would be so desperate as to take a punt on such an unprofessional waster.

Haller is most likely I would think, and has continued his goal scoring from last season. Gets a few assists too. The cheapish but dangerous option would be Berahino. We know he can score goals when fit, but he's a seemingly troublesome person.

A new Pahars would be nice.

Haller is most likely I would think, and has continued his goal scoring from last season. Gets a few assists too. The cheapish but dangerous option would be Berahino. We know he can score goals when fit, but he's a seemingly troublesome person.

You could arguably (and this is a good place to prove that) get both Haller & Berahino, as we probably needed a striker even if Charlie wasn't out.

I think he started scoring almost immediately for the U23's so he's up & running again.

Yep. Wouldn't be surprised if we see Barnes on the first team bench sometime this month. I think he may have been ahead of Olomola in pecking order before he got injured?

Think that we will get someone in January that none of us has thought of, and it will simply be announced. That's how it seems to work. Management must know that we have a problem and will be looking to do something about it. Doubt that it will be anyone 'proven'. That doesn't seem to be the way that things are done here.