The *new* striker debate thread

SuperSAINT

I doubt we'll get anyone in.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

That would be first favourite for me too.

Second favourite is a non-starting squad player from Germany/France/Spain for about 4.0m.

A player we have all heard of who has scored 20+ goals in the PL ..... 25/1.

(Ullaoa would be decent in front of Tadic/Boufal/Redmond, come on Claude, embrace the 4-2-3-1, we have the players to play it.)

Why is it funny ? Hes a good player and makes things happen. Something we desperately need.

Agree that Arnautovic is a good player, but the guy has been a tool and a pain at almost every club he has played at.

Would go for Quincy Promes from Spartak Moskou, has pace and can score goals from outside the box. Has 37 goals in 72 in the Russian Premier League.

Personally I think we could do with 2. We have been crying out for another striker even before Austin's injury.

For me, I'd ship J Rod off and bring in Berahino (longer term replacement) and a big lad who can hold the ball up.

This could be Les Reed's biggest challenge to date especially as LeG has suggested it will only be a loan player that comes in.

Surely virtually impossible to get a quality striker on a temporary basis?

In which case a major gamble, on top of the gamble made in late summer. This could be the acid test for Reed's stewardship, but apparently against the grain of set policy (rare transfer forays in January). I reckon we will leave it late and get nowt, or Sturridge on loan with all kinds of fanfares. What we actually need to help Puel's system, as other posters have stated, is a big target man who can hold up and a mobile striker.

Given that we look a striker light anyway, regardless of Austin's injury, a loan would be frustrating if we had the opportunity to buy a better player permanently. Of course, it is possible that a loanee could be better - e.g. Daniel Sturridge (arguably) might be available on loan but unlikely to be an affordable permanent target.

The reasons I can think of for an inferior temporary-fix option when we could sign a player that will bolster the squad next season as well are

1) the player we want won't/can't join us in January

2) the player we want will cost us a bit more than usual

3) the club thinks we have enough options up front already

Would be annoying if 2 or 3 were the reasons for a second-best solution.

Im sure this will be a name linked pretty soon Alassane Pléa

Ticks all of the "type of player that Saints would go for" boxes, plus the Puel connection of course.

Looks like more like a Tadic/Boufal winger/attacking midfielder than a Pelle/Austin striker though.

How about Ben Arfa on loan, he's having a torrid time at PSG, with Boufal, Tadic/Sims, Ben Arfa/Long, we've got a mobile, tricky front three, that Puel used to great effect at Nice last year.

Ben Arfa would be ideal for when Boufal goes to the AFCON. Knows where the goal is too.

Can i throw a suggestion in , We now play an interchanging 3 at the front , we dont have a single target man and to be honest we dont need one .....Barcelona play this system with messi , neymar and suarez none of these are monster target men and they do not have a set you play on left you on the right and you in the middle , they constantly swap crosss over and make runs .

This is how to break down a defence .

So do we need a big lump in the middle , no we need a goal scorer 15 goals a season plus ........

My picks

Lewis Baker

Dembele Moussa from celtic

Adama ...from boro

Tammy abraham ....chelsea on loan bristol

All of these are our type of signings

Can i throw a suggestion in , We now play an interchanging 3 at the front , we dont have a single target man and to be honest we dont need one .....Barcelona play this system with messi , neymar and suarez none of these are monster target men and they do not have a set you play on left you on the right and you in the middle , they constantly swap crosss over and make runs .

This is how to break down a defence .

So do we need a big lump in the middle , no we need a goal scorer 15 goals a season plus ........

My picks

Lewis Baker

Dembele Moussa from celtic

Adama ...from boro

Tammy abraham ....chelsea on loan bristol

All of these are our type of signings

yeah but I suspect barca don't just play it back to their keeper to lump long forcing their front three to play most of the game facing their own goal or getting their full backs to lump endless high crosses in to the box. both of those seem to be a feature of our play so in that context someone who can win headers seems important.

Sturridge for me, on loan, agree to buy fee which can be quite high but a lot of it based on appearances/goals.

He's the best quality out there IMO that might be available, anything near his best is good enough to score goals for us. Plus I think he'd work really well with the likes of Tadic, Boufal etc. We just have to sell it to him and tell him play as our main striker.

Claude Puel insists he remains focussed on improving Saints’ fortunes in the Premier League and not on signing a new striker in January.

With the news that Charlie Austin has been ruled out for up to four months with a shoulder injury that requires surgery, there is inevitable speculation that Saints will have to dip into the transfer market to replace him next month.

Puel is clearly still assessing the situation, and is determined to remain focussed on the job in hand for the time being.

He said: “I think it’s important for the moment to stay with a good concentration about our game until the end of the year, and after we will see this with calm in January.

“We have a striker, we have an offensive player, it’s important to give them confidence and I like these players and it’s important they play with all the confidence of the team and the staff.

“We will see after in January, but the most important is to consider and to respect all the players in my squad.”

Puel, who has no fresh injury problems ahead of Wednesday night’s game away to Stoke, added: “A market is a market and we don’t know what can happen.

“It’s important to consider my squad and to make progress with all these experienced players and young players.

“We will see with calm in January.

“I think it’s not time to speak about these possibilities."

Source: http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/news/14961305.Puel_plays_down_striker_bid/?ref=rss

Sturridge for me, on loan, agree to buy fee which can be quite high but a lot of it based on appearances/goals.

He's the best quality out there IMO that might be available, anything near his best is good enough to score goals for us. Plus I think he'd work really well with the likes of Tadic, Boufal etc. We just have to sell it to him and tell him play as our main striker.

Until he gets injured brushing his teeth and then we're right back to where we started.

Good player, but very lazy, a long sickness record and I'd imagine a questionable attitude..... No Thanks. A West Ham type player.

There's no way Sturridge will join us. He thinks he's way too good for us. The only way Sturridge is joining a club outside the "big 6" is if someone throws insane money at him.

So, basically, I would forget Sturridge.

Also, Klopp is bemoaning his attacking bench options anyway, so he's not going to let anyone leave IMO.

Ings could have been an option if he was fit though as he would have been nowhere near the starting XI.

from puels comments sounds a bit like we're not going to push hard for someone for the sake of it. if someone good comes up we may well. Its a bit dull but sounds sensible to me - another transfer like hte Long deal would be a bit rubbish (i like long but probably an ok example of what you would get by spending 15m in jan and not really improving things much)

Iago Aspas from Celta vigo? Currently on 9 goals for them in la liga.

Willian Jose da Silva, 24 year old 6'1" striker for Real Sociadad.. also on 9 goals.

Anthony Modeste, 28 year old 6"2 striker for FC Koln and has 12 goals in the Bundesliga (1 more than Lewandowski)

Given that we're not gonna get relegated this season and we're not gonna make Europe, why not just save a bit of $$ and get nobody in?

Well, I think that is the gamble the Board is making.

Are you two aware we are only 1 point from 7th and 4 points from 6th place??? :mcinnes: :mcinnes::mcinnes:

Plus have a league cup semi final to play and FA Cup to start.

I remain confused as to what the likes of Dalek2003, Batman and alpine_saint have gained from 10 years of positing utter nonsense on this forum.

Rather than try and read between the lines of Puel's broken English, I'm going to play my old fashioned card again and wait and see how things pan before forming a point of view on our January transfer dealings. Nothing is a foregone conclusion (apart from the eventual destruction of the known universe of course)

from puels comments sounds a bit like we're not going to push hard for someone for the sake of it. if someone good comes up we may well. Its a bit dull but sounds sensible to me - another transfer like hte Long deal would be a bit rubbish (i like long but probably an ok example of what you would get by spending 15m in jan and not really improving things much)

Not really, he's not going to say "Yes I'm planning on signing a striker in January" because we have several games between now and the end of Jan so what message would that send to Long and Rodriguez? Basically he would be saying "I don't rate you so I'm bringing someone else in"....that's really going to help their confidence...

Rather than try and read between the lines of Puel's broken English, I'm going to play my old fashioned card again and wait and see how things pan before forming a point of view on our January transfer dealings. Nothing is a foregone conclusion (apart from the eventual destruction of the known universe of course)

Can't really see why you bother with forum speculation threads then?

Can't really see why you bother with forum speculation threads then?

There's a difference between speculating who we may or may not sign (hence me suggesting earlier in the thread that Barnes could/should be 'promoted') and getting cheesed off about something that hasn't happened yet. I tend to do the emotional stuff (e.g. 'getting cheesed off') once I know what's actually happened. Call me old fashioned.

Edited by trousers

Not really, he's not going to say "Yes I'm planning on signing a striker in January" because we have several games between now and the end of Jan so what message would that send to Long and Rodriguez? Basically he would be saying "I don't rate you so I'm bringing someone else in"....that's really going to help their confidence...

That's exactly what he is doing and he is being clever, no point in talking down the guys who you have to rely upon !

I'm sure that we will pull one out of the bag, probably from the French league and we may well be impressed by the 'thinking out of the box' !

Ps. Alpine's post = typical carbage !

.. and a team managed by Pulis never gets relegated.

Puel: "Mercato is mercato".

He is clearly being cagey rather than letting everyone know our plans. Of course we will bring in a striker.

Also why does anyone seriously mention Sturridge as a viable option?

He isn't, for a series of reasons.