The *new* striker debate thread

SuperSAINT

Alan Nixon saying we are still keen on Sandro Ramirez.

I'm wary of signing small strikers from Malaga.

Small forward from Málaga and his surname is Ramírez? Definitely yes!

Please let his middle name be Daniel, please.

He doesn't have one:(

Mmmm, like this idea. Jose is currently on a downer over him.Could we somehow get him in?

According to the Expected goals/90 mins stat - which is the best way of objectively measuring young strikers he's really not THAT good:

2015/16 - 0.29

2016/17 - 0.34

He's just got a ludicrous conversion rate for chances, something which won't hold up forever. For reference on the Xg/90 stat, Lukaku was breaking 0.5/90 and Iheanacho was 0.73 last season and 0.53 this season.

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/hamburg-sv-striker-pierre-michel-lasogga-wanted-by-southampton-4159706?utm_source%3Dmoreover%26utm_medium%3Drss-feed%26utm_campaign%3DFeed-Latest%2BArticles

And another link.....

Hamburg, 3rd bottom and this is a striker who has played in 11 games (444 minutes) and not yet scored, so another ideal candidate.

Squad: 13 (out of 14), Starting eleven: 5, Substituted in: 6, On the bench: 2. Scored 8 last season, 4 the season before but the season before that, he scored 13 in 20 league games.

Edited by angelman

Puel has said he is not going for a panic buy. I hope that this is only a negotiating ploy and that he has a serious (ie accurate) striker prospect he is determined to bring in.

I doubt it. I'm sure the club are looking but they tend to take a longer term view to things than most fans. If there is someone available at the right price they may well go for it in Jan but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't bring in anyone, recalled Sam G or brought in a loan with an option to buy if he works out instead.

SRL. Job done. You've got free kicks, penalties, headers, loves to shoot....all in one place. Crowd would go nuts. Morale would go through the roof.

Three years ago he may have been an option. Hope he finds a good patch of form at Cardiff, he deserves a flourish.

Puel has said he is not going for a panic buy. I hope that this is only a negotiating ploy and that he has a serious (ie accurate) striker prospect he is determined to bring in.

Long and Rodriguez are already low in confidence. If he said openly that we were going to buy a striker, that would do no good whatosever to them. So in my opinion this is excellent man management from Puel.

I think we will sign a striker, we need to.

Not sure signing a striker (or recalling one from his loan) is a sign of panic. Austin out for months. JRod & Shlong unable to hit a barn door. Given that, I can't see where you would consider the panic would be, just rational decision making.

My take is the club won't buy a striker if there is not a suitable one at the right price. I'm guessing the panic element would be getting in Peter Crouch on loan or spending big on Rudy Gestede in desperation to appease the fans in a "Well we got a striker" way. The signing of Bony by Stoke or the money paid for Benteke and Bolasie all smacked of panic buying to me. Adding to our strike force is a sensible move but the club ' do it at any cost.

Would hope that given all the hype / praise the 'black box' and our recruitment team get, none of our signings would be a 'panic buy'.

Les & Puel aren't stupid (I hope) and can surely see we desperately need a striker (even when Austin is fit). I just hope Les is given the funds to get one!

Wouldn't be surprised if we get someone in on loan and then get Berahino in the summer. Unless of course we can get him now, for a knock down price like Austin.

I'm not completely convinced a striker is necessarily the solution. Our service to the front men has been pretty dire. I felt sorry for Long on Wednesday, the quality of ball and movement when he had it was terrible.

I suppose someone who is fantastic in the air might help improve our terrible set piece conversion ratio and have more hope of getting on end of the aimless crosses we're putting into the box.

I'd sooner not buy now than waste money on a striker clubs are happy to let go, as that is never a good sign, and buy properly in the summer. Yes, I appreciate that it's a big gamble but so is buying a player that can't produce the goods.

I still think we'll get Berihino. He fits the bill for the club and he's a damn good player.

Without wanting to start a new thread.....Long or JRod? Who is likely to be the better for us in terms of scoring goals? Neither are doing anything at the moment, but I get a feeling, that despite his lay off, JRod will long term be the better goal scorer. Long as we all know is a pain in the butt for the opposition defence and you can't afford to go to sleep with him buzzing around.

I'm not completely convinced a striker is necessarily the solution. Our service to the front men has been pretty dire. I felt sorry for Long on Wednesday, the quality of ball and movement when he had it was terrible.

I suppose someone who is fantastic in the air might help improve our terrible set piece conversion ratio and have more hope of getting on end of the aimless crosses we're putting into the box.

Me too, if we had a decent box to box midfielder that would make a huge difference. We have some good defensive midfielders but we play too many. No one is looking to get forward and create thus starving the attack of opportunities. A top drawer striker would be good but I think the problem is more to do with the service and support from midfield.

Me too, if we had a decent box to box midfielder that would make a huge difference. We have some good defensive midfielders but we play too many. No one is looking to get forward and create thus starving the attack of opportunities. A top drawer striker would be good but I think the problem is more to do with the service and support from midfield.

I don't think that is the managers intention though. We are really playing with one holding midfielder but the further advanced midfielders (Hoj aside) don't seem to be getting into the box enough something Puel needs to hammer into them on the training ground.

SRL. Job done. You've got free kicks, penalties, headers, loves to shoot....all in one place. Crowd would go nuts. Morale would go through the roof.

Rickie was over the hill 3 years ago and has done bugger all since he left. He is a Championship standard player now and the crowd would be far from excited watching him plod around after the shadows of opposing players.

Recent posts indicate we don't necessarily need an out-and-out striker. Well, I kind of agree, even though having one would maybe solve the problem I think we have, namely:

Our midfielders don't want to get into the box - they only want to 'assist'. Think about it, Tadic, Davis, JWP, Redmond, Romeu.. (even Hoj & Boufal, who are good attacking forces) they all hang outside the box, or on the edge, looking for the perfect pass in to set up a striker's easy goal, then take the credit for an assist.

Thing is, nobody's going in there, because they're all waiting around for the ball, so they can set up the perfect pass to assist... etc etc.

Surely with so many decent midfielders (and I think we do have a good bunch), they should learn to take it in turns to actually get in the box and be that attacking midfielder. Learn to make attacking runs, receive and shoot. Then Long/JRod can hang about and be the strikers knowing they have others joining in the party.

It's not rocket science, is it?

And yes I know Romeu is a DM, but the emphasis should be on the M. Even Vic & Morgan attacked sometimes.

Recent posts indicate we don't necessarily need an out-and-out striker. Well, I kind of agree, even though having one would maybe solve the problem I think we have, namely:

Our midfielders don't want to get into the box - they only want to 'assist'. Think about it, Tadic, Davis, JWP, Redmond, Romeu.. (even Hoj & Boufal, who are good attacking forces) they all hang outside the box, or on the edge, looking for the perfect pass in to set up a striker's easy goal, then take the credit for an assist.

Thing is, nobody's going in there, because they're all waiting around for the ball, so they can set up the perfect pass to assist... etc etc.

Surely with so many decent midfielders (and I think we do have a good bunch), they should learn to take it in turns to actually get in the box and be that attacking midfielder. Learn to make attacking runs, receive and shoot. Then Long/JRod can hang about and be the strikers knowing they have others joining in the party.

It's not rocket science, is it?

And yes I know Romeu is a DM, but the emphasis should be on the M. Even Vic & Morgan attacked sometimes.

My opinion is that we do need another striker But the main problem is not having a settled midfieid and team in general. its nearll always Romeu but then who?? it always changes, so how the **** can we generate a free flowing game between midfield with attack and players getting used to to playing with each other and the runs they make through balls etc I know they practice in training but a settled team plays and gels better than keep rotatnig every game

My opinion is that we do need another striker But the main problem is not having a settled midfieid and team in general. its nearll always Romeu but then who?? it always changes, so how the **** can we generate a free flowing game between midfield with attack and players getting used to to playing with each other and the runs they make through balls etc I know they practice in training but a settled team plays and gels better than keep rotatnig every game

True. I think squad rotation has been necessary because of extra European games. Still need it during this busy period of the season, but it would be better to have a main core 8 or 9 starting, with only a couple of changes, maybe every other game rather than every single game.

I don't think it will happen, though. The habit has been set and it's hard to break a habit. Maybe players expect (have been promised?) to play a certain number of games when fit? Or, at least, not miss 2 or 3 games on the trot?

See we are being linked with yet another midfielder:

"Southampton are lining up a January move for Valencia's £16.7m-rated Spanish midfielder Dani Parejo, 27. (Daily Star)" BBC Gossip

WTF. Everyone can see that we have no-one who can score goals regularly. A recognised striker/goalscorer is what's needed. We're only safely in mid-table due to the defence being so strong. I despair if we lose Van Dyk or Fonte or both in the January transfer window as we have no goalscorers. Can't depend on 0-0s or the odd 1-0 all the time. Someone needs to wake up, it's not as if the money isn't there!

"Southampton are lining up a January move for Valencia's £16.7m-rated Spanish midfielder Dani Parejo, 27. (Daily Star)" BBC Gossip

WTF. Everyone can see that we have no-one who can score goals regularly. A recognised striker/goalscorer is what's needed. We're only safely in mid-table due to the defence being so strong. I despair if we lose Van Dyk or Fonte or both in the January transfer window as we have no goalscorers. Can't depend on 0-0s or the odd 1-0 all the time. Someone needs to wake up, it's not as if the money isn't there!

Before you despair too much, please reread the bit in bold.

I doubt it. I'm sure the club are looking but they tend to take a longer term view to things than most fans. If there is someone available at the right price they may well go for it in Jan but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't bring in anyone, recalled Sam G or brought in a loan with an option to buy if he works out instead.

For once, I would actually prefer the short term option. Bring in a proven striker in this league, even paying a fair bit for him. Leave SamG on loan as he will be better for it for us next season.

Parejo is quality though...

that whole story just seems bizarre...

Maybe no so bizarre. Last weekend I read that with Sanchez, having been converted to a striker and with Wellbeck coming back to fitness, Wenger was concerned about keeping all of his strikers happy. The article I read in the Times actually highlighted Giroud, who Wenger was saying he wanted to extend his contract but that he needed to decide whether he could deal with the competition. Perez is another that may not get a look in. And Wenger and Puel are mates. After all, Wenger let Claude win the quarter final.

I know it's business, but you'd like to think that with all the deals we've done with likes of Arsenal, Liverpool, Man U, that there might be a bit flexibility our way for loan moves of players (strikers in this case) who need game time etc....a bit of "you scratch my back"...

Maybe no so bizarre. Last weekend I read that with Sanchez, having been converted to a striker and with Wellbeck coming back to fitness, Wenger was concerned about keeping all of his strikers happy. The article I read in the Times actually highlighted Giroud, who Wenger was saying he wanted to extend his contract but that he needed to decide whether he could deal with the competition. Perez is another that may not get a look in. And Wenger and Puel are mates. After all, Wenger let Claude win the quarter final.

Plus I read that Welbeck is near a return, which may push Perez behind Sanchez, Giroud and Welbeck. Until Welbeck gets injured again.

Edited by Saint Albert
Yet another sad victim of autocorrect