Rolland Parris - Club Crest Designer - RIP

John Boy Saint

Surprised this hasn't been picked up on here:

Rolland Parris the chap who won the competition to design the Club Crest back in the 1970's has passed away.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/14959606.Tributes_paid_to_Rolland_Parris_the_man_who_designed_Saints_emblem/#comments-anchor

Personally I think he did a grand job, and his design still looks good today.

RIP Rolland Paris who did an excellent job of designing our crest.

I do prefer the original white football to the "modern" black and white one, it suited the crest so much better.

And the font for the words "SOUTHAMPTON FC" seems a bit dated to me, they should modernise that.

what would it be changed to? As far as I was aware we are still called Southampton football club. :lol:

what would it be changed to? As far as I was aware we are still called Southampton football club. :lol:

On the Saints Sportswear shirts from a fair while ago the Font used for that was away from the Times New Roman type script that's in there. Looked quite contemporary (although I suspect it was due to the limitations of the stitching process.)

Hi all, really nice to see this up on the forum (tried to pay my £5 as a result but paypal wasn't having it!).

Thanks for all the nice comments posted. Rolland was my dad and really was a wonderful man. I hope some of you saw the article in the programme on Sunday. Good article but it was a shame that they didn't publish some of the other drawings my dad did before he submitted the winning design, might be of interest to some on here and now would be as good a time as any to post them. Will try again to subscribe tomorrow and get some of the pics up.

Hi all, really nice to see this up on the forum (tried to pay my £5 as a result but paypal wasn't having it!).

Thanks for all the nice comments posted. Rolland was my dad and really was a wonderful man. I hope some of you saw the article in the programme on Sunday. Good article but it was a shame that they didn't publish some of the other drawings my dad did before he submitted the winning design, might be of interest to some on here and now would be as good a time as any to post them. Will try again to subscribe tomorrow and get some of the pics up.

Please do, it would be great to see them.

I'm pretty sure that's a swear word in the design world.

It certainly is!!!

I have told my students at Uni that anyone using comic sans in any capacity will be failed and finished.

RIP Rolland. I love your(our) badge.

Likewise would love to see the early design sketches.

It certainly is!!!

I have told my students at Uni that anyone using comic sans in any capacity will be failed and finished.

RIP Rolland. I love your(our) badge.

Likewise would love to see the early design sketches.

Thought as much, hence the emoticon.

RIP Rolland, I too am a big fan of our badge, hope that we don't 'modernise' it to something bland.

RIP Rolland Paris who did an excellent job of designing our crest.

I do prefer the original white football to the "modern" black and white one, it suited the crest so much better.

And the font for the words "SOUTHAMPTON FC" seems a bit dated to me, they should modernise that.

I prefer the old style football too.

From the Echo article: "Since it was created there has only been a minor alteration in the 1990s, when a football at the top was updated."

But when you think about it - when was the last time you saw a football with those black hexagonal panels? A penny floater on the beach.

RIP Rolland - and Saints - don't ever change our badge otherwise I'll have to throw away my duvet covers.

What a great legacy.

Best wishes.