Man Utd v Saints - FA Youth Cup - This Evening

trousers

I was at the game last night. A fantastic win for the kids against a very good team. Man Utd are better than us and were better than us in this game in terms of overall play and quality of player but that is not meant as a criticism of our lads who did what they needed to do in order to win the game. We defended very well as a team - positionally they all knew their job and stuck to it and we defended very compact - it was as the senior team do in tough away games. It's things that like which determine a professional career, not just individual ability.

We didn't offer too much going forward but it was one of those games where every time we did get the chance to break everyone was a bit anxious and would either hesitate or try and do too much.

It was the first time I had seen many of the kids this season so not really appropriate to judge individuals.

Just reading a few press bits on this was that really our boys first win in three months?

I think that's true although to be fair we do play a very young team at U18 level. We were bolstered last night by a few lads (still u18s) who normally play for the u23s (Vokins, Slattery, O'Connor and Valery) so we were a bit more experienced. FWIW I really like the look of O'Connor - looks a very classy player in midfield.

I think that's true although to be fair we do play a very young team at U18 level. We were bolstered last night by a few lads (still u18s) who normally play for the u23s (Vokins, Slattery, O'Connor and Valery) so we were a bit more experienced. FWIW I really like the look of O'Connor - looks a very classy player in midfield.

Craig Fleming said that Smallbone only came on as sub because he featured for the U23's the other day. Not bad for a 16 year old.

All the goals where excellent - it's really clear how much better the youth team (and youth teams in general) are nowadays.

I would guess that we have the best chance of having loyal players to the club if they came up through the youth system - hopefully we can keep getting 1-2 into the first team each year.

All the goals where excellent - it's really clear how much better the youth team (and youth teams in general) are nowadays.

I would guess that we have the best chance of having loyal players to the club if they came up through the youth system - hopefully we can keep getting 1-2 into the first team each year.

Lallana / Shaw / Chamberlain / Theo / Bale / Chambers?

;)

I'd forgotten this was on and only saw the lads from when they were chasing the game, so saw both cracking goals but didn't get a full impression of the game. I was also impressed that the full back Valery was able to make a break towards the end of the game, run the length of the pitch and force the keeper into saving and conceding a corner.

Lallana / Shaw / Chamberlain / Theo / Bale / Chambers?

;)

We where in a much worse point when we sold all of those players - its reasonable to think we should be able to offer European football semi-consistently over the next 5 years - something that has never been the case before. As long as we can offer the opportunity to play good quality football on the European stage individuals will be more likely to stay.

Obviously we aren't going to keep everyone - we just have a better chance of keeping individuals, particularly if they are from the Southampton area (McQueen etc.).