Can't we just embrace the Bournemouth rivalry?

Bad Wolf

Come on, yesterday was great and there WAS an extra buzz about it. I was in the "It's not a Derby" camp till yesterday but let's be honest, if that had happened against Stoke in midweek (similar side to Bournemouth), had we gone 1 down there then come back and won 3-1 it wouldn't have felt as good as it did yesterday. There was something very, very different about yesterday because it was Bournemouth.

Obviously it's never going to be the same as P*mpey, that'll always be our PROPER Derby but we probably won't be seeing them again for some quite time and of course next season, we'll probably get to renew our rivalry with Brighton but rather than pretend Bournemouth is just another game why not treat it as a Derby, they're looking okay and not likely to go anywhere for a year at least. I'm treating it as a Derby and one we have bragging rights in and already looking forward to playing them at SMS!

It feels better to beat them BECAUSE of their attitude. In every other game this season (bar the one at St Marys obviously), I'm quite happy for them if they win. Unless something drastic happens like they boo through a minutes silence for a club legend (unlikely) that's not going to change.

I can't want them to do well. Their attitude ****es me off. Everything we've done for them is thrown back in our face. I'll cheer Spurs, Everton and Liverpool when they play Bournemouth and I'm quite happy to see them lose every other game. **** them. Pretentious ****s.

No. I like seeing Bournemouth do well. As such I cannot consider them a rival. They are more like a sibling.

Pretty much like how I feel, not least because I was born next to the ground.

I can't want them to do well. Their attitude ****es me off. Everything we've done for them is thrown back in our face. I'll cheer Spurs, Everton and Liverpool when they play Bournemouth and I'm quite happy to see them lose every other game. **** them. Pretentious ****s.

It's just an iteration of the Karpman drama triangle, so I wouldn't take it too personally.

We cannot make a rivalry where there isn't one and there is none with Boscombe. The vast majority of us simply don't feel anything about them, they are "meh".

I had tickets for yesterday & sold them to go out with my Mrs instead on the bikes for a spot of winter training. If we'd have been playing the skate bas_tards I would have sold my wife for tickets.

Didn't we have bucket collections for them when they wereven teetering on the edge of liquidation? They are a nothing club with nothing fans, I just can't bring myself to hate them no matter what I do. I find their fans that are trying to spark something funny.

Brighton and us did indeed have a rivalry when we were battling to get out of League One and the Championship. They've only just managed to keep up.

The skates will always be there no matter what league they are in.

Bournemouth isn't even close to Brighton in terms of rivalry, let alone Portsmouth! They'll always be that friendlying retirement home from down the coast we want to do well.

Come on, yesterday was great and there WAS an extra buzz about it. I was in the "It's not a Derby" camp till yesterday but let's be honest, if that had happened against Stoke in midweek (similar side to Bournemouth), had we gone 1 down there then come back and won 3-1 it wouldn't have felt as good as it did yesterday. There was something very, very different about yesterday because it was Bournemouth.

Obviously it's never going to be the same as P*mpey, that'll always be our PROPER Derby but we probably won't be seeing them again for some quite time and of course next season, we'll probably get to renew our rivalry with Brighton but rather than pretend Bournemouth is just another game why not treat it as a Derby, they're looking okay and not likely to go anywhere for a year at least. I'm treating it as a Derby and one we have bragging rights in and already looking forward to playing them at SMS!

Not feeling it - I wasn't there yesterday so can only judge it from a distance. I was delighted by yesterday by all sorts of reasons but 100% would have felt exactly the same if it was against WBA or Swansea or Stoke.

If anything I like Bournemouth - they are fine/harmless and I feel no malice towards them whatsoever.

I can't want them to do well. Their attitude ****es me off. Everything we've done for them is thrown back in our face..

Behave yourself. Everything we've done for them...jeez. What do you want the club or their fans to actually do to express their gratitude?

Not feeling it - I wasn't there yesterday so can only judge it from a distance. I was delighted by yesterday by all sorts of reasons but 100% would have felt exactly the same if it was against WBA or Swansea or Stoke.

If anything I like Bournemouth - they are fine/harmless and I feel no malice towards them whatsoever.

This...

Behave yourself. Everything we've done for them...jeez. What do you want the club or their fans to actually do to express their gratitude?

'n this as well. It really is quite tiresome going on and on about how they should somehow feel grateful towards us. Makes us look stupid, and besides, those people who raise it, probably put f'all in the bucket anyway.

Decent club, who have done very well to get into the top league - hope they stay up for many more years.

I agree with the OP. The media already call it THE South Coast Derby. There really is very little interest in fourth division teams nowadays and I have no desire to end up in the 4th division with them. We've hardly ever played Pompey in the past anyway and it's very unlikely we'll play them again in the next few years.Time to move on.

I can't bring myself to dislike Bournemouth just because the skates have more chance of league game against Eastleigh or gosport than they do against us. That rivalry, as a fixture, is gone but Bournemouth don't step in as the team we dislike. Maybe one day but for the moment they're just little old Bournemouth who I kind of like.

I like them and I will keep liking them as long as we keep beating them. They play good football, they've performed miracles in surving then climbing the leagues in recent years, they've beaten Man u last year and L'pool this year, what's not to like?

If the match had been a sat I would have gone. Because it was on Sunday and on TV I didn't bother.

If it was a match at Fratton I still would have gone, regardless of it being Sunday or on TV.

So, yeah, we can have a gentle rivalry but they are a nice, friendly, noddy little club so it's not important. Skates are noddy and little but it's not friendly.

No they don't.

Actually they do, I heard Sky refer to it as just that unfortunately. I'm in the NO camp, Bournemouth are like Southampton's little sister, at times they can be a little irritating but when it comes down to it we'd always be there to help them out if they were in the sheet. Portsmouth are our rivals, the hatred is deep seated and can never be replicated, if they were on fire we wouldn't even give them the steam off our piśs !

Edited by Gunnery

Friendly rivalry is fine by me - wish them well but relish a win.

Completely agree. When they used to read out lower league half-times, we used to cheer if Pompey were losing and cheer if Bournemouth were winning. Good to put them in their place yesterday, but like to see them do well. They are a well run club with a top manager

Actually they do, I heard Sky refer to it as just that unfortunately. I'm in the NO camp, Bournemouth are like Southampton's little sister, at times they can be a little irritating but when it comes down to it we'd always be there to help them out if they were in the sheet. Portsmouth are our rivals, the hatred is deep seated and can never be replicated, if they were on fire we wouldn't even give them the steam off our piśs !

They don't call it THE South Coast Derby.

They might call it the South Coast derby in the same way they say coming next is the London Derby between Palace and West Ham or the Midlands Derby between WBA/Villa, Boro/Sunderland, etc etc etc.

Completely agree. When they used to read out lower league half-times, we used to cheer if Pompey were losing and cheer if Bournemouth were winning. Good to put them in their place yesterday, but like to see them do well. They are a well run club with a top manager

This sums it up for me. Always had a soft spot for Bournemouth.

Unlike Brighton. Hate 'em! :x

The problem to my mind is we picked the worse team to be rivals with. I ****ing love a Saints v Pompey derby game, there isn't really anything else like it as a saints fan, but these games are rarer then hen's teeth because the blue few are so ****ing useless (I mean they can't even negotiate a couple of early rounds of a cup to get a game against us). What is the ****ing point of a rivalry when you never actually play each other? I find myself rather jealous of the London clubs (not to mention the black country/Birmingham area though they're all in the championship) who seem to be able to have a derby every three weeks to the point that I'd actually be tempted to see Bournemouth as a rival just to get some of that derby game action so many other PL fans seem to get every season....:(

Cannot consider them a rival. Had free tickets for yesterday as I wasn't bothered I gave them away. Then I couldn't be arsed to watch it on sky even though I was at home. I'm so ambivalent about them I actually still don't know the score. Part of me hopes Bournemouth won as I'm not bothered about them

A rivalry isn't something that you can just create.

There are years of history between us and the skates.

If there are more games and more history between us, then it will develop.

But right now, I have no feelings either way towards them.

Exactly. You could ask, why is it a derby? Being 33 miles apart isn't really good enough reason.

Cannot consider them a rival. Had free tickets for yesterday as I wasn't bothered I gave them away. Then I couldn't be arsed to watch it on sky even though I was at home. I'm so ambivalent about them I actually still don't know the score. Part of me hopes Bournemouth won as I'm not bothered about them

Didn't you want to watch the team you support? You know, Southampton.

Not being a Southampton supporter for that many years, why exactly do we dislike Brighton?

More Brighton disliking us. When in League 1 our manager at the time, Nigel Adkins, wondered if Brighton could 'keep up with us' as we both went for the League 1 title. As it happens, Brighton more then kept up and won the league but we destroyed Brighton's proud home record by winning at the Withdean Stadium with two goals in the last few minutes to keep automatic promotion in our own hands. A game in Which we refused to give Brighton a customary guard of honour for the champions as we still had work to do.

They considered Nigel Adkins very arrogant, and our focus on still doing our own job disrespectful.

Try this for size:

[video=youtube;cDIE9f7Lf-M]

Edited by Colinjb

It's less a rivalry and more pest control.

It's fun to see them disappointed after they've built the game up in their own heads, but I get far more enjoyment myself out of victories over teams at or near the top of the league.

We have a bigger rivalry with Everton at the moment.

More Brighton disliking us. When in League 1 our manager at the time, Nigel Adkins, wondered if Brighton could 'keep up with us' as we both went for the League 1 title. As it happens, Brighton more then kept up and won the league but we destroyed Brighton's proud home record by winning at the Withdean Stadium with two goals in the last few minutes to keep automatic promotion in our own hands. A game in Which we refused to give Brighton a customary guard of honour for the champions as we still had work to do.

They considered Nigel Adkins very arrogant, and our focus on still doing our own job disrespectful.

Try this for size:

[video=youtube;cDIE9f7Lf-M]

Their displeasure goes back even further than that, to the 1977/78 season when apparently saints and spurs contrived a goalless draw to see both teams promoted at the expense of the seagulls. I was only 3 at the time so have no memory of it but this is the Brighton take on the matter:

https://thegoldstonewrap.com/2014/04/29/view-from-the-dell/

Not being a Southampton supporter for that many years, why exactly do we dislike Brighton?

As Colinjb says the Brighton fans( or at least some of them) are more embittered towards Saints than the other way round. As well as the recent rivalry dating back to L1, for fans with a longer memory some of it dates back to 1978 when we were both going for promotion to the old First Division. Last game of the season Saints played Spurs at The Dell, and drew 0-0 for both to go up. Had we beaten Spurs, Brighton would have taken the third place (no play offs in those days).

Some Brighton fans believed it was a stitch up, and that we purposely played out the draw. Personally I think thats b0ll0cks,having been at the game I recall us hitting the post so I don't see it as a team not looking to win it.