Can't we just embrace the Bournemouth rivalry?

Bad Wolf

As Colinjb says the Brighton fans( or at least some of them) are more embittered towards Saints than the other way round. As well as the recent rivalry dating back to L1, for fans with a longer memory some of it dates back to 1978 when we were both going for promotion to the old First Division. Last game of the season Saints played Spurs at The Dell, and drew 0-0 for both to go up. Had we beaten Spurs, Brighton would have taken the third place (no play offs in those days).

Some Brighton fans believed it was a stitch up, and that we purposely played out the draw. Personally I think thats b0ll0cks,having been at the game I recall us hitting the post so I don't see it as a team not looking to win it.

Think again.

It will never be a Derby because outside the game it means very little to most of us. I was one of those that qualified for tickets but choose not to go, a combination of naused up trains and Xmas to pay for.

If it was the skates in any competition I'd have been there with bells on and deal with the consequences later.

I do find it odd that one or two saints fans here and on social media are deciding that this is going to mean something when it never has (and I'd hazard a guess most of our fans didn't even know they didn't like us until the league one games).

Also find it telling that most of those arguing for it to be something aren't from Southampton itself.

If you grow up in the city I think you know that there's no rival other than the skates, and even if the football club didn't exist you'd still hate the city and the inbred scum that live in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As Colinjb says the Brighton fans( or at least some of them) are more embittered towards Saints than the other way round. As well as the recent rivalry dating back to L1, for fans with a longer memory some of it dates back to 1978 when we were both going for promotion to the old First Division. Last game of the season Saints played Spurs at The Dell, and drew 0-0 for both to go up. Had we beaten Spurs, Brighton would have taken the third place (no play offs in those days).

Some Brighton fans believed it was a stitch up, and that we purposely played out the draw. Personally I think thats b0ll0cks,having been at the game I recall us hitting the post so I don't see it as a team not looking to win it.

Thanks Badger and sibster for filling me in on that, I'm too young to remember the late 70's. Interesting.

My memory of Brighton will always be the very final game at the Dell. Uwe Rosler scoring in that friendly. Loved that day, even if it was sad to leave the Dell, one of my defining teenage memories as a football fan being 17 at the time.

I will never forget adults and children alike dragging anything that wasn't nailed down out into the surrounding area after the final whistle. The mental image of a small child struggling with a large advertising hoarding outside Eastleigh bus station still makes me chuckle.

But, back to Brighton, everyone laughing, drinking together outside the Dell. No hint of any atmosphere or animosity.

A couple of things not ENTIRELY relevant to the thread, but think of these as Pavlovian responses to things other people have brought up:

Bournemouth is not in Hampshire NOW. But it was in Hampshire for longer than it has been in Dorset (I know you all know this... although I wonder if Paul Merson does, ironically).

The Brighton 'guard of honour' sh*tstorm: you DO NOT give a guard of honour to a team if you are at their ground. It is a courtesy you (might) give your guests. Well, that's what I think any way.

It will never be a Derby because outside the game it means very little to most of us. I was one of those that qualified for tickets but choose not to go, a combination of naused up trains and Xmas to pay for.

If it was the skates in any competition I'd have been there with bells on and deal with the consequences later.

I do find it odd that one or two saints fans here and on social media are deciding that this is going to mean something when it never has (and I'd hazard a guess most of our fans didn't even know they didn't like us until the league one games).

Also find it telling that most of those arguing for it to be something aren't from Southampton itself.

If you grow up in the city I think you know that there's no rival other than the skates, and even if the football club didn't exist you'd still hate the city and the inbred scum that live in it.

Spot on! That's why I really don't get or understand same city derby's (Celtic / Rangers aside).

For me, the rivalry is much more than football. I hate everything related to Portsmouth and those that live there.

Everyone claims their rivalry is the most fierce, but I honestly believe that saints vs. pompey is up near the top

Thanks Badger and sibster for filling me in on that, I'm too young to remember the late 70's. Interesting.

My memory of Brighton will always be the very final game at the Dell. Uwe Rosler scoring in that friendly. Loved that day, even if it was sad to leave the Dell, one of my defining teenage memories as a football fan being 17 at the time.

I will never forget adults and children alike dragging anything that wasn't nailed down out into the surrounding area after the final whistle. The mental image of a small child struggling with a large advertising hoarding outside Eastleigh bus station still makes me chuckle.

But, back to Brighton, everyone laughing, drinking together outside the Dell. No hint of any atmosphere or animosity.

Some perhaps think it was a stitch up, see Lets B Avenues's post after mine.

I'd forgotten the significance of the BHA last match at The Dell in connection with the rivalry. A very friendly affair between the fans. The Archers Road end gave them a chorus of "you're just a town full of faggots..", which was taken in good spirit, before both sets of fans joined in for a "if you all hate Pompey.." chant, which I think BHA started. After the match both sets of fans mingled on the pitch together without any hint of bother.

Always liked Bournemouth. For me our rivalry with Pompey is about more than football, it's City vs City. Let's be honest, Bournemouth is a lovely seaside town people from Southampton go on day trips to in the summer and nights out to pull their (definitely on the whole hotter than our) women in their (definitely better - well certainly a few years ago anyway) bars/ clubs.

Bournemouth is where people from Southampton/ Pompey got evacuated to in WWII (well that was the case with my Gran anyway), not exactly a hotbed of industry/ working class people so therefore little interest in a working mans game. Like them and hope they continue to punch above their weight. Pompey on the other hand I genuinely can't stand in any way whatsoever.

Spot on! That's why I really don't get or understand same city derby's (Celtic / Rangers aside).

For me, the rivalry is much more than football. I hate everything related to Portsmouth and those that live there.

Everyone claims their rivalry is the most fierce, but I honestly believe that saints vs. pompey is up near the top

Absolutely. Same city derbies are pathetic, no hatred at all. How can you hate someone from the same city? Ours is right up there, I detest everything to do with that inbred infested hell hole and I wouldn't shed a tear if it was nuke bombed off the face of the planet.

Their displeasure goes back even further than that, to the 1977/78 season when apparently saints and spurs contrived a goalless draw to see both teams promoted at the expense of the seagulls. I was only 3 at the time so have no memory of it but this is the Brighton take on the matter:

https://thegoldstonewrap.com/2014/04/29/view-from-the-dell/

We also gave them the fright of their lives before, during and after the FA Cup quarter final at the Goldstone in 1986. Cracking day out for Saints.

We also gave them the fright of their lives before, during and after the FA Cup quarter final at the Goldstone in 1986. Cracking day out for Saints.

Heard stories of that from my older brother and his mates, chasing them all over the park after the game.

Heard stories of that from my older brother and his mates, chasing them all over the park after the game.

Indeed, everybody seemed to turn out that day, almost a perfect storm. The baiting of Biley, and the cavalry charge in the park were the highlights, their players and fans didn't know what to do with themselves. Still didn't feel like a rivalry, more of a reinforcement ;-)

A couple of things not ENTIRELY relevant to the thread, but think of these as Pavlovian responses to things other people have brought up:

Bournemouth is not in Hampshire NOW. But it was in Hampshire for longer than it has been in Dorset (I know you all know this... although I wonder if Paul Merson does, ironically).

The Brighton 'guard of honour' sh*tstorm: you DO NOT give a guard of honour to a team if you are at their ground. It is a courtesy you (might) give your guests. Well, that's what I think any way.

Adkins got right under their skin, which made beating them all the funnier

Come on, yesterday was great and there WAS an extra buzz about it. I was in the "It's not a Derby" camp till yesterday but let's be honest, if that had happened against Stoke in midweek (similar side to Bournemouth), had we gone 1 down there then come back and won 3-1 it wouldn't have felt as good as it did yesterday. There was something very, very different about yesterday because it was Bournemouth.

Obviously it's never going to be the same as P*mpey, that'll always be our PROPER Derby but we probably won't be seeing them again for some quite time and of course next season, we'll probably get to renew our rivalry with Brighton but rather than pretend Bournemouth is just another game why not treat it as a Derby, they're looking okay and not likely to go anywhere for a year at least. I'm treating it as a Derby and one we have bragging rights in and already looking forward to playing them at SMS!

Nah, it was special because it was a comfortable come-from-behind win in which we scored three great creative goals and Rodriguez got some element of redemption after an injury nightmare. The opposition was irrelevant other than how soon I could get home. I don't even know any Bournemouth fans, how's that a rivalry?

Indeed, everybody seemed to turn out that day, almost a perfect storm. The baiting of Biley, and the cavalry charge in the park were the highlights, their players and fans didn't know what to do with themselves. Still didn't feel like a rivalry, more of a reinforcement ;-)

One of the best away days ever. It must have been like a scene out of Zulu when we poured onto that terrace. Brilliant fun when we were young and stupid.

Exactly. You could ask, why is it a derby? Being 33 miles apart isn't really good enough reason.

Ignoring the strict "derby is in the same city" definition for a moment...

Cardiff v Swansea is a derby - 43 miles apart

Cardiff v Bristol Rovers is not - 27 miles apart

Newport v Bristol Rovers is not - 19 miles apart

Newport v Cardiff (12 miles) is a derby if you're from Newport, but not if you're from Cardiff... remind you of anything?

Ignoring the strict "derby is in the same city" definition for a moment...

Cardiff v Swansea is a derby - 43 miles apart

Cardiff v Bristol Rovers is not - 27 miles apart

Newport v Bristol Rovers is not - 19 miles apart

Newport v Cardiff (12 miles) is a derby if you're from Newport, but not if you're from Cardiff... remind you of anything?

Cardiff bristol is pretty bad isn't it? At least that's what the city lads I know say. Maybe not a Derby as such but definitely a nasty edge to it

There's also the little matter of Saints gifting the Div 2 title to Bolton with a draw against 3rd place finishers Spurs... and Saints only needing one more goal to win it.

Cardiff bristol is pretty bad isn't it? At least that's what the city lads I know say. Maybe not a Derby as such but definitely a nasty edge to it

Bristol City, but notsomuch Rovers as they don't tend to play as often... Newport v Bristol Rovers is probably more of a rivalry given the historical crapness of both (though even Bristol Rovers were second tier for a while when I was a kid), but "Severnside Derby" *cough* is reserved for Cardiff v Bristol City.

Anyway, Cardiff fans have grudges against a lot of people. :D

Their displeasure goes back even further than that, to the 1977/78 season when apparently saints and spurs contrived a goalless draw to see both teams promoted at the expense of the seagulls. I was only 3 at the time so have no memory of it but this is the Brighton take on the matter:

It was the April 29th my 15th birthday. Got stabbed in the shoulder by the church in Archers Road before the game!

Was the most boring game.

AFC Boremouth our rivals? No. Never. I do get why they don't like us though after decades of watching many people openly walk around their town with Saints tops on.

Back in the early 00's my then missus was at uni down there so I was there often and still know a number of people. Not one of them gave a stuff about football back then. All bar two of them are now diehard fans of course! Speaking of Johnny Come Lately's, I'm assuming it's those that started coming back to St Marys when we made it back to the premier league that are happy to accept them as our rivals. Surely no-one that was around in the L1 / Champ days would even fathom anyone but that nauseating charity-thieving division four shower of sh!t as our rivals.

It's all short-lived of course. Once Howe jogs on to the Emirates and their best players go elsewhere they'll not recover like we keep doing.

One of the best away days ever. It must have been like a scene out of Zulu when we poured onto that terrace. Brilliant fun when we were young and stupid.

It was, I was 15 and still at school in Brighton, I was in the Brighton end (North Stand) and heard this roar then all the Saints fans came steaming down the terraces. It looked brilliant.

Bournemouth a kind of like that cute special little brother, the one who is always going to need a bit more help than everyone else.

And to quote Glen DLC, it'll be a derby when I automatically check to see if we are above them in the table.

I find that 'little brother' nonsense really patronising if I'm honest.

They are simply another team local to us, yes, so a derby, but NOT a rivalry like ours with Portsmouth.

and I ain't gonna wish them well purely because their close to us geographically, but yes I like them to other clubs in the league, but obviously not at our expense!!!

Not being a Southampton supporter for that many years, why exactly do we dislike Brighton?

Speaking personally, I went to school near Brighton, among a load of Seagulls fans, in the early 80s when they thought they were good (and I suppose they had some near-half decent players like Lawrenson, Robinson, Stevens, Case). Then they made the FA Cup Final - unbearable smugness. That miss by Smith made my day, which was improved a short while later when ManUre beat them 4-0 in the replay hahaha. Tears all round :lol: (except for me).

So, for me it's personal. My joy became almost unbridled in 1986 at the Goldstone Ground, FA Cup QF, thank you Cockerill & Moran. Beautiful occasion.