Checkatrade tonight?

dronskisaint

I thought as you are a trade unionist you would be pleased that the club preferred to for go profit to ensure that the youngsters from the U23s were given time off before Christmas in regonition for their endevors during the first half of the season

Reed Flanagan Stephens Hesketh Olomola Barnes Sims etc have hardly been flogged to death so far this season.

It's a competition there to give the kids some kickabouts against professional lower league teams. Job done.

Winning it, or even coming close to it would be something of an embarrassment to the competition and the club.

Hilarious people grizzling about this, a total nothing competition.

What next? Outrage if Sammy Saint doesn't win the mascot Grand National? Uproar that we didn't win Stadium Meat Pie of the year?

Get over yourselves.

We are Southampton. We don't care about winning trophies so we never win them. Reading fielded 6 players who've played for their first team this season and only 2 of their Academy players; we fielded our U18 team. Whenever we get anywhere within sight of a trophy, we field a weakened team. Reading have won 2 Championship trophies in the last 10 years and they clearly intend to get to Wembley and add this cup to their trophy cabinet as well. if we'd fielded Sims, Reed and McCarthy tonight or even our U21 team, we'd have won.

At least we won the Premier League Cup this century. I'll always remember that.

Undisputed fact...

It's a competition there to give the kids some kickabouts against professional lower league teams. Job done.

Winning it, or even coming close to it would be something of an embarrassment to the competition and the club.

Hilarious people grizzling about this, a total nothing competition.

What next? Outrage if Sammy Saint doesn't win the mascot Grand National? Uproar that we didn't win Stadium Meat Pie of the year?

Get over yourselves.

OTT. It is a competition to give the kids a kickabout, true. But it is also a competition and not playing a more experienced balance to the side has also denied them further 'kickabouts' in this competition.

OTT. It is a competition to give the kids a kickabout, true. But it is also a competition and not playing a more experienced balance to the side has also denied them further 'kickabouts' in this competition.

Oh no. That means our young players will have to play in youth matches, reserve matches and try and break into the first team. You know, like every single young player that's ever broken through for any club anywhere in the entire history of British football before this stupid competition was cooked up eight months ago.

Perhaps the Club unlike you do not want to flog these players to death and think they deserve a rest fair play to SFC

Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo have played over 60 games a season for their whole careers. Our poor lads can't cope with more than 30 games when they are 19 and 20 so they have to be rested?

Yes, it was great to win that trophy. I'm just frustrated tonight that we didn't make more of an effort this year in the Europa League or the Football League Trophy. Why bother with the early rounds if you're going to field a weakened team in the later stages? I really hope we field a full-strength team in the League Cup semi-final. If we win that, it will be the highlight of this century for me as a Saints fan. We're also in with a shot in the FA Youth Cup. I'd like to see us win that too. But any trophy would be great.

We should target the easier trophies to win and build the winning habit from there.

We made every effort to get into the Europa League knockout without sacrificing Prem position. Given that we're 5 places higher in the Prem than this time last year, were one late header away from getting through in said Europa League and missed absolutely shedfuls of chances throughout the group, and we're still in the League Cup at the semi-final stage, I have to wonder what exactly you think "making an effort" looks like?

Are you suggesting binning off the multi-million pound Premier League prize money and chance to get into Europe again (which by the way was a great experience) to make sure we beat Liverpool and probably Man U to win the League Cup - or would your chosen approach maybe use squad rotation to put out teams for EVERY match which should be good enough to get results?

And as for the Checkatrade Trophy, I can't say I've been bothered to watch a game, and we still got further than the Skates' first team.

Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo have played over 60 games a season for their whole careers. Our poor lads can't cope with more than 30 games when they are 19 and 20 so they have to be rested?

Lionel Messi wasn't playing every match when he was 17 - he played 10 times for Barcelona C. And then aged 18 he played 22 games for Barcelona B. He was also injury prone for his first 3 years, which doesn't suggest he was particularly well managed either.

Ronaldo played for Sporting's U-16, U-17, U-18, B team and first team when he was 16 - but he didn't start a game until he was 17 and a half and he only had 25 starts when he left as a 19-year old.

Neither of these records suggests Messi or Ronaldo played excessive numbers of games as players breaking through.

People moaning we played our u18s , them playing in a competition against men can only be good for their progression and that was why the cup rules were changed were that not ?

The rules were changed because the EFL assumed the likes of Man U and Liverpool would put their U21s in and for some reason thought League One and Two fans would want to see big teams' development sides.

And then of course lots of Prem teams refused to enter, and the Premier League itself changed the age restriction on its reserves/dev competition just to make the use of U21s look REALLY weird.

• 8 months later...

Genuinely, it was good of you to pitch up, but you knew, I'm sure, that this was always going to be men against our kids.

It was much more about the experience, and development, of the kids than anything else.

I'm not overly impressed with the Hunters, Butterfields and Jaihidis of this world as coaches to be honest.

Someone like Adkins would be a good shout.

I agree , I watch the u23s quite a bit and there is really very little to get excited about at the moment.

That is partly due to some of the better players like Olomola, Seagar, Gallagher and Reed being out on loan, plus injuries to Sims and Hesketh but it's a shame to see our academy team looking so weak. Just like the first team they are not very exciting to watch.

As for the Checkatrade Trophy we clearly have no intention of trying to do well in it, the side we put out last night was never going to trouble a strong Peterborough side.

The dead heads and hands of Hunter & Jaidi triumph once again. "We can learn from this defeat...." FFS! When FFS will they ever learn? This has been going on for years and we are getting worse by the match. Are they incapable of learning anything?

FFS Les, get rid of these incompetent morons and get some decent coaches in and start again. Our Academy will become a laughing stock if this is allowed to go on! Action now, FFS Les!

Give it to Nigel FFS!

The dead heads and hands of Hunter & Jaidi triumph once again. "We can learn from this defeat...." FFS! When FFS will they ever learn? This has been going on for years and we are getting worse by the match. Are they incapable of learning anything?

FFS Les, get rid of these incompetent morons and get some decent coaches in and start again. Our Academy will become a laughing stock if this is allowed to go on! Action now, FFS Les!

Give it to Nigel FFS!

FFS.

Give it to Nigel FFS!

Has Nigel applied then... perhaps Wenger could do it when he gets the push

Genuinely, it was good of you to pitch up, but you knew, I'm sure, that this was always going to be men against our kids.

It was much more about the experience, and development, of the kids than anything else.

Well done for turning up

One of the recorded 48 away fans!!

Their oldest outfield starting player was 25, several were 22 or 23, they also had a 17 and an 18 year old. Hardly men against boys.

Do you take everything literally?

I hate myself for doing this, but there is an enormous difference between the respective ages/experience of the teams.

Bakary 20 Hughes 25

Cook 19 Tafazoli 26

O'Driscoll 18 Baldwin 24

Wood 20 Edwards 24

Jones 19 Forrester 25

Little 20 Maddison 24

Barnes 20 Morias 22

Slattery 19 Da Silva 19

Johnson 18 kanu 18

Afolabi 17 Doughty 25

Even the Posh website in their headline refer to their win against the Saints youngsters.

Do you take everything literally?

I hate myself for doing this, but there is an enormous difference between the respective ages/experience of the teams.

Bakary 20 Hughes 25

Cook 19 Tafazoli 26

O'Driscoll 18 Baldwin 24

Wood 20 Edwards 24

Jones 19 Forrester 25

Little 20 Maddison 24

Barnes 20 Morias 22

Slattery 19 Da Silva 19

Johnson 18 kanu 18

Afolabi 17 Doughty 25

Even the Posh website in their headline refer to their win against the Saints youngsters.

Someone call a doctor, Faz has gone down with a nasty case of MLG