Puel - In or Out?

washsaint

In or Out?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. In or Out?

For goodness sake I wish you and others would stop going on and on about formations and systems. IMO people set far too much store by formations. You may remember when Pochetinno was manager, he, or one of his assistants, said, we don't play in positions we play from positions. Look at it that way and a series of numbers and positions on a screen or a sheet of paper don't mean very much but flexibility does. Our front three rotate. They do it. They're just not that effective yet. The biggest problem we've got is that Boufal and Redmond don't link with the striker. Tadic is better but he's been injured. Puel needs to sort that out and we'll score goals.

Hallelulah. Formation this, formation that...like some ****ing table football game where you have fixed positions.

I think Puel is doing ok, We are 8th in the table I see this season as a transition. Wait until Puel is given the opportunity to clear out deadwood and bring in French talent that suits his philosophy. Yes we have players that have failed to adjust I.e Long however to sack Puel now would be a stupid move give the man a season at least...

Who are you talking about when you say 'dead wood'? Ward Prowse, Martina, Yoshida, Gardos?

I'm sure Reed won't be giving him a large enough transfer kitty to replace all of those players with any that are better. As for buying players to suit his system 'no thanks' I'd rather watch paint dry, than have to keep watching the dross he's been serving up most weeks.

Even when we've won games this season we've barely been able to perform for a complete half let alone an entire match & that is against some really bad opposition teams. Teams we would have beaten easily under Poch or Koeman.

I'm not saying we don't need players, as I don't see boufal & Austin as replacements for Mane & Pelle & would love to see replacements to strengthen the team in that area, it will be tough to find and sign them, but there are players out there of the same style but with that raw and slightly untested ability that the black box likes.

We have players that are suited to the high tempo pressing game and when they play that way for brief periods in games we've looked a much better team, it's Puels obsession with playing a slower more energy saving style that then overrides that pressing game which is causing us problems and is generating a feeling of disillusionment among the fans & players as evidenced by Fonte's spat with him at Bournemouth and VVD's comments after the Hapoel home game and people's comments on here.

I realise that the league is stronger this season and that we are weaker but the first twenty minutes the other night & for periods against Chelsea, Liverpool, City & Utd the team has shown that they can compete against the top teams in this league if the manager would have faith in them to play the way they know they can.

Still at least we can look forward to three games without Puels little pet Redmond in the team.

It's not the formation that worries me, its the pace we play at. We are predictable, pedestrian & dull to watch a lot of the time.

We have many players underperforming too. Even before his injury Tadic was pretty awful this season. Long hasn't scored in 21 games. Forster doesn't look like half the keeper he was. Fonte's contract nonsense. Redmond being very poor. Reed not buying a striker when we lost 2.

There are many things to cause concern, but only some of it is Puel's doing.

Like all managers he needs time. Yes, I would like us to switch back to 4-2-3-1 or even to a back 3, but that is unlikely.

We were poor against Spurs, no doubt, but I think we were worse against Liverpool in the cup last year under Keoman & against Sunderland in the cup when Potchetino was manager.

I am concerned, but really don't see what the better alternative is...................

Puell out saints are playing the worst football i have seen in 45 years

:mcinnes:

You utter spazz. :lol:

please be nice, but I agree.

You obviously did not watch Saints when Branfoot was manager.

This

BOO HOO HOO HOO, Pick your teddy up and put your bedding in the wash you pathetic tart.

And that's a ban, come back in ten days with better manners or stay away.

Public poll added, nail your colours to the mast. On balance I think he is doing an 7/10 job, too soon to pull the trigger.

I agree but playing in Europe has not helped us and lots of other English clubs who have played in the Europa League over the years with regard to playing in the PL

In. For the moment. It is too early to make a verdict and it is not like we are staring relegation in the face.

The signs are not good though, even allowing for him inheriting a weakened squad. The buzz about the club we have all enjoyed for the last 7 years or so is distinctly ebbing away.

:mcinnes:

please be nice, but I agree.

This

And that's a ban, come back in ten days with better manners or stay away.

As a point of consistency why are (temporary) bans handed out for innocuous insults while words such as spazz not acted upon -indeed they are partially encouraged? You've been more than trigger-happy to dole out infractions for use of the m-word and related terms in the past. No rhyme or reason with the curry crew.

Edited by shurlock

Too early to change in my view, 8th in the table, SF coming up, he has given youngsters a chance.

Would be absurd to change unless we have a proven candidate lined up to meet all the club's requirements including a more exciting brand of football,but such a candidate is unlikely to be available mid-season.

i'd certainly give him the season before its reviewed, unless results spiral out of control.

Public poll added, nail your colours to the mast. On balance I think he is doing an 7/10 job, too soon to pull the trigger.

Spot on, give the guy a chance, 8th & SF of League Cup. He inherited a squad minus 3 key players from the previous 2 seasons & one suspects has chosen to align with the clubs strategy of pushing youth through whilst allowing players such as CA,SL & JR the opportunity to step into Graziano shoes before buying someone else whom is unlikely to deliver better.

As a point of consistency why are (temporary) bans handed out for innocuous insults while words such as spazz not acted upon -indeed they are partially encouraged? You've been more than trigger-happy to dole out infractions for use of the m-word and related terms in the past. No rhyme or reason with the curry crew.

The ban was as a result of an accumulation of bile, despite the line being drawn. Check the posters history.

Interesting point on the 'spazz' word. Had it been used as a derogatory term for spastic, there would have been a deletion / infraction. However modern slang seems to have overtaken it https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.urbandictionary.com/define.php%3Fdefid%3D26494%26term%3Dspazz%26amp%3Dtrue?client=safari

Quite happy to let most things go as long as it's not defamatory or aggressive.

In fairness a prawn patia and chicken madras with mushroom pilau produces less wind than you!

Voted "In", but full of doubt.

I dont like the statement he's made about not being so bothered about signing anyone in January because he prefers to work with the current players. I can live with a season of consolidation/mediocrity, but I think we are staring down the gun-barrell of relegation if this is the case. The other clubs will pull their socks up, and we will continue to plod along.

I will cross my fingers we dont get relegated, but if there is no upturn in our fortunes I will be looking to a change in the summer.

I do not expect us to make the EFL Cup final, which by then would be the only thing that could save him, imo...

The ban was as a result of an accumulation of bile, despite the line being drawn. Check the posters history.

Interesting point on the 'spazz' word. Had it been used as a derogatory term for spastic, there would have been a deletion / infraction. However modern slang seems to have overtaken it https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.urbandictionary.com/define.php%3Fdefid%3D26494%26term%3Dspazz%26amp%3Dtrue?client=safari

Quite happy to let most things go as long as it's not defamatory or aggressive.

In fairness a prawn patia and chicken madras with mushroom pilau produces less wind than you!

Your comment re a poster producing wind is uncalled for. If you disagree with someone, you don't lower yourself by resorting to insulting them. Especially you a Moderator!

My compliments to St. Chalet for taking moderate action against the poster who is by a long margin the most abusive on the site. I am guessing Gunnery is WindmillArm in disguise.

Puel is not only a cheap appointment (everthing about the club stinks "cheap" this season); he is also a "malleable" appoinment - there to do the boards bidding which is to put bought and Academy players in the shop window and sell for massive profit. I perceive NO footballing strategy at the club any more.

Last time we had such a patsy manager was Poortvilet under Lowe. Interestingly, to me there is no longer a difference in club strategy compared to when Voldemort was in charge.

Times have sadly changed at SMS.

My compliments to St. Chalet for taking moderate action against the poster who is by a long margin the most abusive on the site. I am guessing Gunnery is WindmillArm in disguise.

Puel is not only a cheap appointment (everthing about the club stinks "cheap" this season); he is also a "malleable" appoinment - there to do the boards bidding which is to put bought and Academy players in the shop window and sell for massive profit. I perceive NO footballing strategy at the club any more.

Last time we had such a patsy manager was Poortvilet under Lowe. Interestingly, to me there is no longer a difference in club strategy compared to when Voldemort was in charge.

Times have sadly changed at SMS.

Really ? Our transfer record was 4m for Rory Delap, we had very few sales because the standard of players in general was very average

But now we pay north of 10m and sell for large sums north of 25m but have also signed and extended contracts of several good players

so the comparison is way off

Be madness to bin him off now, we have lead a pretty charmed life since getting back in the Prem, Adkins was just getting to grips with it when MP took over, then when he got on his bike we pick up Ronald who kept us going in the same upwards direction we had been on since clawing our way back from the edge of the abyss.

Everyone asked once we started flogging off the family Silver every summer how can they keep doing it. Well it appears that chicken has come home to roost this season. Un fortunately we have a manager at the helm who isn't an all singing and dancing fruit loop like Jose or Klippety, but a quiet considered chap.

Those of you attending the game today just take a moment to watch him on the sidelines, and watch him when the players decide to play the ball in field into a congested cluster of players when the ball to play was the free player on the wing with acres to run into is very free. He has caught my eye a few times in the technical area, handing out words of wisdom and at the same time doing his nut when the players persist in not doing what they are told repeatedly (Sparta away springs to mind) position McQueen in space and knock it up the line to him repeatedly it went right into trouble and both Sam and Claude were getting pretty ****ed off with it) then you will see the passion that's missing from the press conferences.

Like I, and many other have said too, You can't get away with selling your best players and get away with it every year. I would prefer to stick with Claude rather than become the manager merry-go-round that put us in the clart before Leibherr saved our bacon.

not happy with the performances or entertainment value at all under puel, but voted stay as he must be given a fair time to turn things around

As a matter of interest what clubs outside the top 6 in the PL are regularly serving up entertaining football on a regular basis and are above us in the table.

It is results that count and league position at the end of the day.

Pretty sure our football would have been better if we had not been in Europe but we were and fans will remember their trips for ever

Yep, great to see the mods starting to take action against those posters whose primary objective is to post stuff that riles other posters masquerading as a "different opinion"... ;)

As a matter of interest what clubs outside the top 6 in the PL are regularly serving up entertaining football on a regular basis and are above us in the table.

It is results that count and league position at the end of the day.

Pretty sure our football would have been better if we had not been in Europe but we were and fans will remember their trips for ever

Fans will remember the trips forever. Unfortunately with a mix of anger, frustration and disappointment.

I think Nice are pleased they got rid of him.

I think Nice are mighty pleased they had Puel as their manager for four years as he took them from a nowhere club staring relegation in the face to 4th in the league and built a squad which is now sitting on top of Ligue 1 above PSG, Lille, Monaco, Lyons, etc.

Not bad for a tiny club the size of Nice.

And by the way they didn't get rid of him. He walked because he wanted a new challenge.

I think Nice are mighty pleased they had Puel as their manager for four years as he took them from a nowhere club staring relegation in the face to 4th in the league and built a squad which is now sitting on top of Ligue 1 above PSG, Lille, Monaco, Lyons, etc.

And by the way they didn't get rid of him. He walked because he wanted a new challenge.

are we seriously giving Puel credit for Nice being top this season?

The playing style at Nice this season has changed dramatically and the Nice fans are delighted Puel left.

Puel took over Nice after a poor season, prior to that they had finished top 10 a number of times and have won the French league 5x + the French cup a number of times

To try and suggest he took a tiny club from obscurity to the top is a huge exaggeration

Puel has won nothing in the last 16 years

Yep, great to see the mods starting to take action against those posters whose primary objective is to post stuff that riles other posters masquerading as a "different opinion"... ;)

So anyone who posts a different opinion is just "masquerading", right ??

:facepalm:

And if these people are so clearly trolls, how about defeating them with the power of argument, and not abuse ??

The playing style at Nice this season has changed dramatically and the Nice fans are delighted Puel left.

Puel took over Nice after a poor season, prior to that they had finished top 10 a number of times and have won the French league 5x + the French cup a number of times

To try and suggest he took a tiny club from obscurity to the top is a huge exaggeration

Are Nice fans genuinely delighted he left or is that a sweeping generalisation without a shred of evidence?

God I wished he'd stayed at Nice! He is ruining our club- the football is so boring!

Nice have won the French League 4 times, not 5, and those were in 1951, 1952, 1956 and 1959. To use these ancient victories to pretend that Nice are in any way a big club in France is slightly disengenuous to say the least.

Puel took over a side in 2012 that had finished 17th the previous season and 15th the season before that. Over the course of 4 season he took them up to European qualification in 4th place and had them playing some open, attractive football as well as building up a talented, young squad.

The majority of that squad have progressed further under Lucien Favre (also a very good coach) who has taken them to the top of Ligue 1 this season.

Whilst Favre has changed tactics to a more defensive, but also more effective, 5 at the back system and has introduced some new players (notably Mario Balotelli and Wylan Cyprien) in his 6 months in charge only someone who knows nothing about football would suggest that this success had nothing at all to do with Puel's legacy from his four year tenure as Nice coach and the talented squad he bequethed to Favre.

Are Nice fans genuinely delighted he left or is that a sweeping generalisation without a shred of evidence?

Take a look at the Nice Facebook and twitter pages around the time he left.... They were delighted

He was attacked by fans a few times also and fans turned up to training to attack him too

He was not popular at Nice

His final season didnt save him or win him popularity either

https://youtu.be/ovRbf51vOSAhttps://youtu.be/ovRbf51vOSA

It amazes me that 78% of our fanbase are happy with this joker in charge. Yet again we are lifeless and dull. We created absolutely zero when we went behind. We have become such a poor team. He has to go soon, otherwise we are slipping towards a relegation battle.

Spot on! VVD suspension won't help matters at all.

He has no authority over them and cannot inspire them. He is the problem, and the sand is nearly run through.

That's b*llocks and you know it is.

We're not a sacking club, and we won't be sacking him anytime soon, especially since we are in the top half of the table and in a cup semi-final, so get used to it.

We're not a sacking club, and we won't be sacking him anytime soon, especially since we are in the top half of the table and in a cup semi-final, so get used to it.

Keep burying your head , what are you going to use once we're spanked by Liverpool and drop further down the table ! IF we can find someone else jog him on if he's still manager I know of quite a few people seriously debating renewing their season tickets !

/?

How do you know Puel isn't under review? Bit desperate (and very defensive, a bit like the non-entity of a manager) to jump to Claude and Les's defence, anyone would think you worked for them...

The majority of our fans were willing to give Puel a chance, as reflected by this poll to date, but the last two performances at home have been pathetic, bar the first twenty minutes v Spurs, a game I was at. This is a good set of players but someone with the tactical awareness of George Burley and the persona of Ian Branfoot would struggle to get Barcelona playing good stuff.

Sorry Les, you've done a great deal for SFC but you've got this appointment wrong and time to put your hands up. Gary Rowett is available and apparently well thought of by Les. We are very unlikely to be in Europe next season - barring a huge upset first v Liverpool over 2 legs and then Man U - so we don't need Puel and would give Rowett a couple of seasons to rebuild after VVD is sold.

Puel isn't going to cut it - it's not just the results but also the approach to games and the personality of a breeze block that is turning the fans off. He's made horrible selection errors in the last 2 games and you can't see him being able to make a connection to the fanbase, nor Reed giving him the strikers and other new signings he badly needs but is so weak he won't press for.

The only positive is Hull, Sunderland and Swansea being so dire that we'll finish 15th or so at worst. Not good enough with that group of players so time for a new manager and a new strategy from Les.

Jan will be an interesting month as to whether we get new personal in.

The one thing that I found surprising about his appointment was we brought someone in who didn't want to play the Southampton way, and have changed our style. Redmond was brought for example to fit our style, but Puel then told him we don't play with wingers so you'll need to learn to play as a forward.