Puel - In or Out?

washsaint

In or Out?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. In or Out?

Give him the season.

The style is boring at times, but the squad is not as a good as last year and we have played so many games, I honestly don't know what everybody is expecting him to do unless we invest more in players. My only criticism is lack of chances we create. Rotation seems to become an obsession, money footballers earn does not negate the science, that if you want athletes to perform to their best, they need to be in optimal condition, three games in six days, and three in a week for a consistent period of time, will mean rotation is necessary.

I hope the players have got a stronger mentality than the fans. The reaction to just going a goal down, everything is immediate doom and gloom. The table is so tight in the middle we could finish anywhere between 7th-14th. Given we lost so many good players, had the Europa League (which I have to admit was major, major disappointment) and still in League Cup Semi-Final, I think it is acceptable.

There is no doubt we should strive for continuous improvement and try not to stand still. But if the Club genuinely wants to be a top side in the league, it requires significant investment for help reduce the gap.

Give him the season.

The style is boring at times, but the squad is not as a good as last year and we have played so many games, I honestly don't know what everybody is expecting him to do unless we invest more in players. My only criticism is lack of chances we create. Rotation seems to become an obsession, money footballers earn does not negate the science, that if you want athletes to perform to their best, they need to be in optimal condition, three games in six days, and three in a week for a consistent period of time, will mean rotation is necessary.

I hope the players have got a stronger mentality than the fans. The reaction to just going a goal down, everything is immediate doom and gloom. The table is so tight in the middle we could finish anywhere between 7th-14th. Given we lost so many good players, had the Europa League (which I have to admit was major, major disappointment) and still in League Cup Semi-Final, I think it is acceptable.

There is no doubt we should strive for continuous improvement and try not to stand still. But if the Club genuinely wants to be a top side in the league, it requires significant investment for help reduce the gap.

about 3 more than 12 months ago?

Anyone who thinks that without mane , Vic & Pelle we are as good a squad as last season is deluded. Puel didn't sell them, so it's not really his fault. Even the blind can see Puel has been given a worse set of players than Ron had. To be in a similar position after half the season is a pretty decent achievement. You Puel out clowns don't seem to acknowledge that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally I think he will do a job for us, we won't go down but the football is boring and if the opposition score in a match we may as well go home it seems. I don't particularly want his sacked but something has to be different moving forward.

Whatever you say about players lost, the squad is one of the most expensively assembled in world football. We are obviously light years from the big boys and unfortunately a lot of those spending more are in our league but there is a lot of money invested and talent in this football club and in my opinion CP has got them under performing on the pitch. I don't expect a higher league position but I do think it would be nice to see some decent football. Individuals such as Hojbjerg and Forster seem low on confidence and it's his job to turn that around.

To have won only two league games where the opposition has scored says it all for me..and now we have started conceding goals we could be in for a long boring second half to the season. Alternatively he could change something, we might hammer Everton and suddenly start scoring goals on a regular basis..which is my favourite scenario but from what I have seen from him so far, it's unlikely.

I can see this being the last game (Everton) we rotate, so it will be interesting to see what we are like when we have a settled squad. Players will truly be playing for one position. Puel needs to sign players who can play his style of football. He is pretty much dealing with Koemans team and a set of players that aren't as good or need to be coached more than last seasons. Martina will be off this window. I'm more worried about Eric Black and his terrible record. I wonder if we can lure Henry down to the south coast? Last week, all we did was practice shooting, but no drills. Before that, its all defending. Puel needs a better team around him and 3 players of PL quality in Jan. Then we judge.

Eric Black isn't suddenly going to leave. If they felt he was an issue then there was a great chance to fire him a couple of months back.

Do you feel 3 PL quality players is likely in Jan without any sales (Martina aside)?

Seems a bit un-Saints and knee jerk to me.

Yet when Koeman was at this point last season he also wasn't deemed to be a success .

The Puel In brigade love ignoring that part .

By observing that Puel and Koeman are equally matched at this stage in both seasons, the "in brigade" aren't prematurely deducing that it makes Puel a successful manager. Rather, they are simply observating the relative parity in terms of results and league position. What the "in brigade" are saying is that we should give Puel the same chance that Koeman had to turn things around and then judge him. #comparinglikewithlike

The "out brigade" may well turn out to be right. That remains to be seen. Personally, I'm keeping an open and pragmatic mind on the situation.

Edited by trousers

#comparinglikewithlike

Are we resigning Mane,Vic & Pelle?

Anyone who thinks we've got as good a squad as last year is clueless . IMO 8/9 & decent cup runs with the players Puels been given is every bit as good as 6th and cup disappointment with the ones Ron was.

As we were in the Europa League and lost key players I thought we would finish in the top 10 It was not really realistic that we would do as well as last year with both Liverpool and Chelsea bound to perform better

I dont really understand under at the moment why Puel is really under performing especially as Jrod and Long have missed so many chances.

I know the game against Spurs was not good but they are a pretty good team and unfortunately we had Redmond sent off.

Against WBA we were doing OK until a couple of outstanding goals underminded us in a game we had to play very soon after the previous one

I am convinced that the team is bound to improve with time and when a settled team is played results will eventually improve.

We do however need another top class striker and the lack one I still think would make a great deal of difference

Loan striker interesting given none of our current strikers are up to the level needed, will need a permanent in the summer (perhaps the loanee if he does well but not that well that is snapped up by someone else).

RB also of interest. Martina is ****e and likely leaving but Pied is running again. Where does it leave him if we sign another RB, with Cedric recently signed up? Pied increasingly looks a stop gap signing, but then if we sign a RB in January why buy Pied at all?

I think the club would bring in Henry if they wanted to. I can see 3 players coming in, maybe even four. 2 signings and two loans. CB, RB, AM and a striker (loan). We've been actively looking for a striker on loan since Austins injury. A CB to bed in before the summer. We'll do deals in Jan on players with contracts about to expire. I think, despite what Puel hints at, we'll do some business.

Is this fact or opinion?

By observing that Puel and Koeman are equally matched at this stage in both seasons, the "in brigade" aren't prematurely deducing that it makes Puel a successful manager. Rather, they are simply observating the relative parity in terms of results and league position. What the "in brigade" are saying is that we should give Puel the same chance that Koeman had to turn things around and then judge him. #comparinglikewithlike

The "out brigade" may well turn out to be right. That remains to be seen. Personally, I'm keeping an open and pragmatic mind on the situation.

Very well said . Its hard to argue with that .

I never rated Koeman , I felt Poch was our chance at a genuinely special manager , but Koeman did eventually dramatically improve .

Its tough to imagine Puel improving in the same way imho . Tbh its hard to see any positives anywhere at Saints atm other than the balance sheet

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

I don't see what the harm is in giving him the season at the very least We won't get relegated, no way. We still have the league cup to come, and we're in the same position (points wise) we were last season. SO let's just see what happens. Puel won't have as many fixtures in the second half of the season either so will have a better chance to get us on a good run.

My personal opinion, he should be allowed until next Christmas, give him the summer and then we will see where we are next Christmas (likely without the pressure of EL games).

Besides sacking the manager too early will not look great for attracting new managers.

I don't see what the harm is in giving him the season at the very least We won't get relegated, no way. We still have the league cup to come, and we're in the same position (points wise) we were last season. SO let's just see what happens. Puel won't have as many fixtures in the second half of the season either so will have a better chance to get us on a good run.

My personal opinion, he should be allowed until next Christmas, give him the summer and then we will see where we are next Christmas (likely without the pressure of EL games).

Besides sacking the manager too early will not look great for attracting new managers.

Because we're impatient.

Anyone got the Koeman out threads from last December? See if it's the same chumps asking for Puel out as asked for Koeman last year.

My bet is that it is.

Because we're impatient.

Anyone got the Koeman out threads from last December? See if it's the same chumps asking for Puel out as asked for Koeman last year.

My bet is that it is.

I can only speak for myself Jeff, but I was one of Koeman's biggest supporters, even when we went through that bad patch. I can't see Puel getting any better, I can't see the team getting better. I think he's lost the dressing room, and reckon the sooner he goes the better.

****ing jokers . You cry about players and mangers jumping ship as soon as they get the chance , moaning about loyalty and calling them ****s ect ect . Yet lose 3 games in a row and despite being mid table & in a semi final want the manager out .

Indeed.. the epitome of fickle

I can only speak for myself Jeff, but I was one of Koeman's biggest supporters, even when we went through that bad patch. I can't see Puel getting any better, I can't see the team getting better. I think he's lost the dressing room, and reckon the sooner he goes the better.

Koeman also had a season's worth of good will and had shown he was capable of producing good results. Puel hasn't got that luxury nor has he shown any sign of emulating Koeman's results.

****ing jokers . You cry about players and mangers jumping ship as soon as they get the chance , moaning about loyalty and calling them ****s ect ect . Yet lose 3 games in a row and despite being mid table & in a semi final want the manager out .

It's not the results, it's the tactics being implemented and the style. Those who defend Puel continually fail to engage on this point.

Dear oh dear Duck you will have a coronary at this rate! Can you not see why some are upset or had enough?

I am still unsure but I would like your reasons why you think he can turn this round? What have you seen in him to make you certain he is right man?

There are clear concerns, but what I want to see now is a settled team (injuries aside) which we know will play every week. One which the players can get used to. If he still rotates the **** out of us in the 2nd half of the season when there is no need, he can do one.

They're not proper supporters, we all know that. Unfortunately that's this generation, instant gratification needed.

What a sweeping generalisation. Just because some express displeasure at the style of play being produced doesn't mean they aren't proper supporters and doesn't stop them spending thousands of pounds following the team far and wide. Ridiculous that anything other than the most positive view of what is clearly a sticky situation is pounced on. This forum really is going downhill. It's a discussion website, that's the point of it!

Its not based on the last three games. Puel has been poor all season, played boring, negative football. The results are going bad and the performances are far far from good enough. Puel OUT.

Wish I could share your optimism. A GK who is often rooted to the spot and always likely to concede the first shot on target, a defence with uncertainty over their futures, a midfield with little bite (Romeu aside), and a pitiful and toothless attack seems pretty ripe for a relegation struggle to be honest.

I have been of the view, end of season and review it, and ideally I'd like to see that, unless we can attract an outstanding coach now (which I doubt), or things continue to plummet (which seems a more likely prospect after the Christmas-New Year fixtures, and displays).

What a sweeping generalisation. Just because some express displeasure at the style of play being produced doesn't mean they aren't proper supporters and doesn't stop them spending thousands of pounds following the team far and wide. Ridiculous that anything other than the most positive view of what is clearly a sticky situation is pounced on. This forum really is going downhill. It's a discussion website, that's the point of it!

I'm unhappy with the performances and have voiced my displeasure. The issue is calling for his head when he's had no money to spend, and we've been doing that badly.

But that's fine, you're one of them...

There are clear concerns, but what I want to see now is a settled team (injuries aside) which we know will play every week. One which the players can get used to. If he still rotates the **** out of us in the 2nd half of the season when there is no need, he can do one.

Totally agree. Far too much rotation meaning we never play our best side. It's not the best time of year to change managers, I'd rather wait until the summer to see if he improves, but the signs don't look good.

I'm unhappy with the performances and have voiced my displeasure. The issue is calling for his head when he's had no money to spend, and we've been doing that badly.

But that's fine, you're one of them...

He says he's happy with the squad and in my eyes he should be judged using the players he thinks are good enough. The squad we've got is clearly better than the performances we've been producing. My issue is with Puel's tactics and the style of football he promotes. I can't see that changing regardless of whether we bring in a couple of new players. For that reason I think it's time for a change. That's my opinion, it's different to yours but apparently that makes me less of a supporter for some reason...