Puel - In or Out?

washsaint

In or Out?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. In or Out?

Liverpool will be incredibly hard with their form regardless

Burnley are top 4 when it comes to home form and look excellent at theirs.

Norwich, god knows.

he is not 16-1 to be the next boss to go.

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/premier-league/next-manager-to-leave-post

He was 30/1 until my mate stuck £10 on and it went down to 16/1.

Waiting for skybet to give me odds and I'll stick a tenner on.

If you think Puel should be sacked, you should ask yourself with the forwards we have available, which mangager do you think would've had us higher than 10th at this point of the season.

The buy low, sell high strategy hasn't worked this year, it's that simple. Very little of those decisions are Puel's fault. If we had 2 decent centre-forwards, we'd be mixing it up in 5th/6th place now.

If you think Puel should be sacked, you should ask yourself with the forwards we have available, which mangager do you think would've had us higher than 10th at this point of the season.

The buy low, sell high strategy hasn't worked this year, it's that simple. Very little of those decisions are Puel's fault. If we had 2 decent centre-forwards, we'd be mixing it up in 5th/6th place now.

I think people are not worried about what has happened this season, as it appears puel had a (good) hangover of a pretty successful squad.

It is more about the potential, as the season is progressing, this is becoming more and more his side/set up.

the potential and frightening.

the fact our chairman felt the need to address the team (in public) today, speak volumes IMO

Personally I think he has 3 games to save himself. If we're knocked out of the FAC by the yokels, lose heavily to the dippers in the semi 1st leg and lose away at Burnley then he'll be gone.

There is a very good chance we will lose all three and I'm going to two of them so defeats there are nailed on.

Agreed unfortunately VFFT - club won't want to sack him before the SF but Cup exit at Carrow would leave him on the brink. Sad reading the article copied below on CP - and shame on Les Reed. Has a duty of care to his manager and clearly CP is struggling in a new country with a lonely wife and not having the time to take language courses which has meant he's made no connection to the fans. Vicious cycle that has built up. Why isn't one of those 340 staff helping Puel? Les Reed has left him reliant on him - no wonder he won't push Les for any signings.

Who appointed Eric Black? If that's Les again, he's got some explaining to do with Ralph and KL.

I don't think CP will work out - and the fans simply won't put up with his style of football - but Ralph has made a big move today with what he did pre-match today and do feel a bit sorry for CP as well, think he's been shafted a bit by the club.

No we wouldn't, as he would only play one of them.

I personally stuck with Puel for a long, long time. I said at the start of the season that the players we've brought in as replacements are a clear step-down from the ones we let go, that our expectations should be lower, and that we ought to give him a chance.

The problem is, I just can't see any real plan under Puel or, more to the point, anything really being built.

We've gone into zombie-mode; trundling along until the end of the season where the better players will be on their way, and the not-so-good players will stick around and collect their lower-mid-table paycheque and their easy money. Under Adkins, Poch, Koeman and so on, you could see what we were trying to achieve and what areas of the team we were working on/improving upon, but under Puel I just don't see any real future for this team.

I'd say stick with until the end of the season but get a replacement ready in the meantime.

Very little of those decisions are Puel's fault. If we had 2 decent centre-forwards, we'd be mixing it up in 5th/6th place now.

You can have a million forwards to choose from, if you aren't creating and playing insipid football it'll not matter a jot.

I think people are not worried about what has happened this season, as it appears puel had a (good) hangover of a pretty successful squad.

It is more about the potential, as the season is progressing, this is becoming more and more his side/set up.

the potential and frightening.

the fact our chairman felt the need to address the team (in public) today, speak volumes IMO

We're 7th in total passes, 6th on number of touches. 6th on number of shots but 17th on goals scored.

Please explain to me what is so terrible about the way we play which manager will get 25/30 goals per seaon out of Long, Rodriguez and Redmond.

You can have a million forwards to choose from, if you aren't creating and playing insipid football it'll not matter a jot.

We've had more shots on goal than Arsenal and only 2 less than Chelsea.

I'd take Aguero and Costa. As we're creating so many chances, that would probably see us into the Champions League quite comfortably.

We've had more shots on goal than Arsenal and only 2 less than Chelsea.

I'd take Aguero and Costa. As we're creating so many chances, that would probably see us into the Champions League quite comfortably.

How many of them could be classified as 'good chances' though? You can also have a million shots on goal, but if you're shooting in non-threatening positions that won't matter.

For me, it's how we play. We're way too slow, allowing the opposition to easily organise defensively. There's no quick switch of play or patterning of play - it's a bit of a mess really.. the only thing I ever see is the intuitive overlap of the fullbacks and us banging crosses in to no-one in the area.

That 'style' of football is the coaching teams responsibility.

That said, we haven't invested properly either - but the team is far, far better than their performances suggest. A team on board with their manager would not churn out some of the terrible performances we've had to endure this season.

We're 7th in total passes, 6th on number of touches. 6th on number of shots but 17th on goals scored.

Please explain to me what is so terrible about the way we play which manager will get 25/30 goals per seaon out of Long, Rodriguez and Redmond.

Against WBA, 68% possession and one shot on target. WBA 32% possession three shots on target won 2-1. It's what you do with it not how long you keep it.

How many of them could be classified as 'good chances' though? You can also have a million shots on goal, but if you're shooting in non-threatening positions that won't matter.

For me, it's how we play. We're way too slow, allowing the opposition to easily organise defensively. There's no quick switch of play or patterning of play - it's a bit of a mess really.. the only thing I ever see is the intuitive overlap of the fullbacks and us banging crosses in to no-one in the area.

That 'style' of football is the coaching teams responsibility.

That said, we haven't invested properly either - but the team is far, far better than their performances suggest. A team on board with their manager would not churn out some of the terrible performances we've had to endure this season.

Isn't that a fact!!!

If Monsieur Puel choked on a mussel tonight (I seriously hope he doesn't) then I would give Mr Monk and Mr Beattie a call. They would lift the club and the fans I reckon. (Can I just repeat for the benefit of Lord Duckhunter, Trousers and Pamplemouse and other happy clappers lurking tonight, I no way am wishing any harm to Claude or his wife and I hope they enjoy their meal tonight).

If Monsieur Puel choked on a mussel tonight (I seriously hope he doesn't) then I would give Mr Monk and Mr Beattie a call.

I let the thought of this sink in for a moment and then had a big smile on my face, although I doubt the club would have the balls to make such a bold move.

Agreed unfortunately VFFT - club won't want to sack him before the SF but Cup exit at Carrow would leave him on the brink. Sad reading the article copied below on CP - and shame on Les Reed. Has a duty of care to his manager and clearly CP is struggling in a new country with a lonely wife and not having the time to take language courses which has meant he's made no connection to the fans. Vicious cycle that has built up. Why isn't one of those 340 staff helping Puel? Les Reed has left him reliant on him - no wonder he won't push Les for any signings.

Who appointed Eric Black? If that's Les again, he's got some explaining to do with Ralph and KL.

I don't think CP will work out - and the fans simply won't put up with his style of football - but Ralph has made a big move today with what he did pre-match today and do feel a bit sorry for CP as well, think he's been shafted a bit by the club.

Well I'm sure when he checks his wage slip each month he is sure to cheer up - poor lamb.

If Monsieur Puel choked on a mussel tonight (I seriously hope he doesn't) then I would give Mr Monk and Mr Beattie a call. They would lift the club and the fans I reckon. (Can I just repeat for the benefit of Lord Duckhunter, Trousers and Pamplemouse and other happy clappers lurking tonight, I no way am wishing any harm to Claude or his wife and I hope they enjoy their meal tonight).

100% agree with this

I let the thought of this sink in for a moment and then had a big smile on my face, although I doubt the club would have the balls to make such a bold move.

Thank god .

That's all we need failed Swansea manager in tandem with failed Accrington manager .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank Christ you have no influence on the decision making at the club.

Seriously? And other than a good 6 months at Leeds and Swansea, what have they done to deserve that?

for the benefit of Lord Duckhunter, Trousers and Pamplemouse and other happy clappers

Pragmatism + optimism + open mindedness + benefit of the doubt = "happy clapper" ?

Someone's been reading The Gnuardia for too many years me thinks... #doolally

Pat on the back for getting me to bite though ;)

Monk and Beattie? I needed cheering up. That's a cracker.

I'm not a "happy clapper" either, just a bloke who thinks managers should be given more than half a season , especially when we're 10th in the league and in a semi final. If Monk & Beats did that I'm sure there wouldn't be the same moaning about them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A Happy Clapper seems to defined as someone who dares to think that being in our first major cup semi final for nigh-on a decade and a half is quite a good thing, actually. That's what "happy clappers" think.

Garry Monk sacked by Swansea last December with the club in 15th having been beaten 3-0 at home, 3 wins at that point and one win in 11 league matches preceding his sacking.

But no doubt Saints fans would be dancing in the streets if he was appointed and no doubt give the whole city a lift, what with him being such a Southampton legend with all those ten games he played for us.

Happy Clapper me right up if that's what I'm up against.

Edited by CB Fry

Our most common XI (based on minutes played)

2016/17 - Forster / Martina,Fonte,VVD,Bertrand / Romeu,Davis,Hojbjerg / Tadic,Austin,Redmond

2015/16 - Stekelenburg / Cedric,Fonte,VVD,Bertrand / Romeu,Davis,Wanyama / Tadic,Pelle,Mane

2014/15 - Forster / Clyne,Fonte,Alderweireld,Bertrand / Schneiderlin,Davis,Wanyama / Tadic,Pelle,Mane

With Forster's current form he's no better than Stek.

Clyne > Cedric > Martina

Schneiderlin probably slightly ahead of Romeu but could be called a draw. Romeu has been good for us.

Wanyama > Hojberg who's far from a completed product.

Pelle = Austin

Mane > Redmond

We have our weakest team in a few years. Add all the extra matches and there's no way we can expect to finish as high in the league as the last 2 years. This is on the board/Les to invest again, especially with the huge windfall that's coming from the inevitable VVD sale.

I rather like the idea of James Beattie managing us. He rates Harrison Reed and would almost certainly play him more often. Beatts will also be able to coach and advise our strikers.

A Happy Clapper seems to defined as someone who dares to think that being in our first major cup semi final for nigh-on a decade and a half is quite a good thing, actually. That's what "happy clappers" think.

Garry Monk sacked by Swansea last December with the club in 15th having been beaten 3-0 at home, 3 wins at that point and one win in 11 league matches preceding his sacking.

But no doubt Saints fans would be dancing in the streets if he was appointed and no doubt give the whole city a lift, what with him being such a Southampton legend with all those ten games he played for us.

Happy Clapper me right up if that's what I'm up against.

If you want a Saints legend with coaching experience, what about Marian Pahars? He will teach Boufal and Redmond how to nutmeg defenders.

I think Puel should bring in some new faces players which are used to playing the #puel# way. I personally think a lot of our players are not suited / not turning up. Back him in the next two transfer windows and if he continues to play rubbish uninspired football least we would of given him a fair chance. This whole rotation needs to stop! Field the strongest team and bring about some familiarity and consultancy. Chopping the team to much is like playing with strangers every week....

Channelling my inner most optimist side here, I think there's hope for puel still. Because back when he was seriously being linked to us, I read every article on him and nice and also watched some of Nice's games as well. They played some excellent football did nice, it was Tottenham-esque in that they pressed the opposition really hard and BTW Ben arfa was chasing down the ball like crazy as well, and also kept the ball when needed really well. Their transition is extremely quick, I think I read somewhere that they scored the most goals in league 1 from counter attacks while still having more possession than the opposition. So I think (hope,pray) that puel realizes that this dormant non pressing crab football isn't working and that he should revert back to what got him this job in the first place. Playing fast paced, high pressing, counter attacking/ possession hybrid football.