Saints 1 Spurs 4 Reaction

Mr X

But hey, they were and are better than us. Shame we didn't have the composure or manager to keep the press after their fairly lucky equaliser. The confidence drained immediately and never returned. Puel just watched on

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tottenham beat us on one of our off days.

They've beaten us 7 times in the last 9 meetings and finished above us in the League since whenever. They're just a better team than us unfortunately. We just have to beat those around and below us and nick the occasional win against the 'top' teams and we'll finish with a decent league position and maybe a cup run. That's how we're set up, pretty much the same as 15 of the other clubs in the league.

Well that was damn awful all round.

Forster has become someone with whom I have no confidence in at all.

Along with Puel.....it's so stale and boring and you pick that up with the lack of atmosphere at St Mary's.

So lethargic and devoid of ideas.

You wouldn't believe we've had a 10 day break.

Changes are needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The BBC website has produced the pertinent rule re the red card:

Where a player commits an offence against an opponent within their own penalty area which denies an opponent an obvious goal-scoring opportunity and the referee awards a penalty kick, the offending player is cautioned unless:

The offence is holding, pulling or pushing or

The offending player does not attempt to play the ball or there is no possibility for the player making the challenge to play the ball or

The offence is one which is punishable by a red card wherever it occurs on the field of play (e.g. serious foul play, violent conduct etc.)

In all the above circumstances the player is sent off.

Nathan Redmond pulled back Dele Alli so it was a red card.

The pull back occurred outside the box, so according to this rule it was neither a pen nor a red.

Ref goofed but we didn't deserve anything.

A few points:

1. JWP - utterly dire after 2mins. Just nowhere near physical enough in a game like this.

2. Romeu is poor at picking people up from set plays and also poor for the 4th today. Does a lot well but always has a mistake in him.

3. We would massively miss Fonte - he was very good tonight

4. Our midfield is so slow, both on defence and attack. Too many similar types and nobody who wants to really get forward - biggest problem in the team.

He wasn't as bad as normal to be fair but Forster is just not very good. Should have come for the first, and the last was so not in the corner it was remarkable. Looked like every shot would beat him, as it has all season.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I accept that he has not been up to his expected standards this year. But today the first goal took a wicked deflection from the cross. The other 3 would have been world class saves. And the jeering for his kicking is embarrassing from our fans who barely sang a word all game.

The BBC website has produced the pertinent rule re the red card:

Where a player commits an offence against an opponent within their own penalty area which denies an opponent an obvious goal-scoring opportunity and the referee awards a penalty kick, the offending player is cautioned unless:

The offending player does not attempt to play the ball or there is no possibility for the player making the challenge to play the ball or

The offence is one which is punishable by a red card wherever it occurs on the field of play (e.g. serious foul play, violent conduct etc.)

Nathan Redmond pulled back Dele Alli so it was a red card.

The pull back occurred outside the box, so according to this rule it was neither a pen nor a red.

Finally. It was a hideous and awful decision which ended the game immediately.

The top teams in the Premiership are just so much stronger than the rest of the league now. Mid table mediocrity if we're lucky this season.

Yeah this season is very much back to business as usual. Chelsea and Liverpool are good again. And Leicester are rubbish in the league. The top 6 are just winning all their games and pulling away. The only consolation is manure might finish outside the top 4 again.

They've beaten us 7 times in the last 9 meetings and finished above us in the League since whenever. They're just a better team than us unfortunately. We just have to beat those around and below us and nick the occasional win against the 'top' teams and we'll finish with a decent league position and maybe a cup run. That's how we're set up, pretty much the same as 15 of the other clubs in the league.

I disagree with the last bit. We're not the same as 15 other clubs. Our aspirations are a bit higher than say Burnley or Middlesbrough.

Well that was damn awful all round.

Forster has become someone with whom I have no confidence in at all.

Along with Puel.....it's so stale and boring and you pick that up with the lack of atmosphere at St Mary's.

So lethargic and devoid of ideas.

You wouldn't believe we've had a 10 day break.

Changes are needed.

After the news years games last season we were on 24 points.

This season we get a point in the next 2 games we're beating that.

You can't beat a referee who makes such a shocking decision.

Seriously? We're 8th in the League and in the semi final of LC. Promoting our youth and watching a world class defender play for us every week, I can think of very few clubs (If any) in England who I'd rather support atm. It'll be better in the morning.

This attitude is what holds us back. "ah we almost made it" but lets be happy as also rans. We have been appalling latley. HBS, Prague, Hull, Palace, stoke especially. No fecking excuse for it. You add those games up and we are higher in the league, within reach of last seasons finish and in the europa league knock outs.

We chose to sell our best players and again not reinvest fully. And we have a fan base who again let the board off for under achieving? WTF. There is no excuse for worsening ourselves this season given West Ham and Leicester have completely removed themselves from the picture, united have again been poor.

Its almost like our fans have no ambition.

Not in my view. Redmond fell over inside the box. I did not see any pulling back inside the box.

Should have been free kick for the original pulling of the arm and a yellow card IMO.

By the way comedy genius on here tonight, get a grip. It was one of those games, move on.

This attitude is what holds us back. "ah we almost made it" but lets be happy as also rans. We have been appalling latley. HBS, Prague, Hull, Palace, stoke especially. No fecking excuse for it. You add those games up and we are higher in the league, within reach of last seasons finish and in the europa league knock outs.

We chose to sell our best players and again not reinvest fully. And we have a fan base who again let the board off for under achieving? WTF. There is no excuse for worsening ourselves this season given West Ham and Leicester have completely removed themselves from the picture, united have again been poor.

Its almost like our fans have no ambition.

I understand what you are saying, but at the same time you have to be realistic. We can't match the level of player top 6 signed over the summer and their squads are clearly all superior to ours. If we can break up the top 6 we are doing very well, but I accept 7/8 as success.

Get a grip FFS

We looked the better team for the first 15 mins.... against a team that beat us almost every time we meet.

Alli's goal was the result of a fluke deflection.

Puel made a brave decision to change 3 players at once and go for the equaliser. Sadly it didn't pay off.

We are doing alright and still in 8th.

My only concern is Forster......

But I'll take 8th and in the League Cup semi-final at this stage of the season.

You forgot the Boro game!!

Puel has to go. That or whoever is responsible for recruitment.

Lose 4-1 spurs

Palace 3-0

0-0 vs 10man stoke

Out of the europa league after that ****ing disgrace vs some 3rd rate Israeli team

Lost 1-0 to prague

lost 2-1 to hull

didn't scratch liverpool and spent 90 home minutes clinging to our own goal line

Its just appalling, so many dropped points and games where we don't even compete let alone achieve the expected minimum.

But don't worry folks.

We beat the mighty cherries on one of their off days so we'll be fine.

:mcinnes:

That was the worst refereeing decision I've seen in seasons. Not a penalty. Not a red card. Foul for holding back 5 yards outside the box, and maybe a yellow, but certainly not a goal-scoring opportunity. Such bad decisions I'm inclined to question his motives.

Completely changed the game. At 2-1 down with 11 men, the way we were attacking against a tiring team, we would have had a good chance of at least a point.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Then will assume the club will appeal it

I hope they do. It was a bloody awful decision that robbed us of any opportunity to get back into the game, and produced a disproportionately lop-sided win. That being said, I would like to see Puel try a Tadic - JRod - Boufal front three. (I'm assuming that Boufal does not have to leave for AFCON until the new year.)

Should have been free kick for the original pulling of the arm and a yellow card IMO.

By the way comedy genius on here tonight, get a grip. It was one of those games, move on.

A foul outside the box when the players clean through is a defo red, so he couldn't really have given him a yellow as there was no covering player . By awarding a peno he could have because under the new rules when a peno is awarded it should be a yellow unless the player had no intention of going for the ball. The issue is whether Redmond made any effort for the ball. The ref obviously deemed he didn't.

That was the worst refereeing decision I've seen in seasons. Not a penalty. Not a red card. Foul for holding back 5 yards outside the box, and maybe a yellow, but certainly not a goal-scoring opportunity. Such bad decisions I'm inclined to question his motives.

Completely changed the game. At 2-1 down with 11 men, the way we were attacking against a tiring team, we would have had a good chance of at least a point.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

It didn't complete change the game. They were by far the better side

I understand what you are saying, but at the same time you have to be realistic. We can't match the level of player top 6 signed over the summer and their squads are clearly all superior to ours. If we can break up the top 6 we are doing very well, but I accept 7/8 as success.

Thats crap man, we were top 6! Its an easy excuse for the club when really we should be hitting these targets. Mid table is fine as a holding role, as long as they knowledge we are underachieving.

This is from the FA's website. I may have to reduce my indignation levels a little...

SENDING-OFF OFFENCES

A player, substitute or substituted player who commits any of the following offences is sent off:

denying the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by deliberately handling the ball (except a goalkeeper within their penalty area)

denying an obvious goal-scoring opportunity to an opponent moving towards the opponents’ goal by an offence punishable by a free kick (unless as outlined below)

serious foul play

spitting at an opponent or any other person

violent conduct

using offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures

receiving a second caution in the same match

A player, substitute or substituted player who has been sent off must leave the vicinity of the field of play and the technical area.

DENYING A GOAL OR AN OBVIOUS GOAL-SCORING OPPORTUNITY

Where a player denies the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by a deliberate handball offence the player is sent off wherever the offence occurs.

The following must be considered:

distance between the offence and the goal

general direction of the play

likelihood of keeping or gaining control of the ball

location and number of defenders

Get a grip FFS

We looked the better team for the first 15 mins.... against a team that beat us almost every time we meet.

Alli's goal was the result of a fluke deflection.

Puel made a brave decision to change 3 players at once and go for the equaliser. Sadly it didn't pay off.

We are doing alright and still in 8th.

My only concern is Forster......

But I'll take 8th and in the League Cup semi-final at this stage of the season.

Get a grip ....we get battered for 25 minutes and we send out same team same tactics!!! WTF did we think we would do we were outnumbered in the middle. Should have put Hojberg on at half time and put Boufal in the hole.

Redmond was poor all night and JWP only contributed free kicks and bottled so many challenges it was atrocious.

The score didn't flatter at all and we only got going when they missed penalty.

We are ok against poor sides but when we play top sides get overrun because 4-3-3 gets battered by their midfield 4-2-3-1 if we didn't have energy Claude why didn't you change it?

My observations from today

1. Outclassed bar 1st 15 mins

2. Our midfield can't cope against movement and strength. Very average.

3. Forster needs dropping but no fit alternatives

4. Les reeds head in the sand re striker recruitment is telling.

5. Summer signings need more time although hojberg looks average.

6. Football is boring to watch

7. Time for the darts

Spurs deserved the victory overall but the scoreline flattered them a tad IMO.

A lucky deflected assist for their equaliser and then another fortunate deflected assist for the 3rd goal, which killed the game off at a point where we could have still nicked a point.

At the half way stage of the season, we're still 4 places above where we were at the same stage last year with a cup semi final to come, so still too early to cast judgement on where our season will end up. That said, Puel has a tough job on his hands to match Koeman's second half of the season performance last time around.

Three points against WBA at the weekend and we'll be ahead of the curve again.

Apologies for the "nauseating positive spin"... ;)

They were too good for us, simple as that. Beaten by a far better side once they got to grips with the game.

Started very well and caught them totally on the beach for the first couple of mins, but as soon as they clicked into gear we couldn't get near them.

One of those games. Move on, forget it, beat West Brom. Job done.