WBA Build-up

SuperSAINT

If we go behind in this one it could very well be game over. They will park the bus, and let's face it, our finishing is tepid at best. I still worry that when we need a goal, VvD often looks to be our best bet of getting back into a game.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

To be fair to Forster I don't think he could have saved any of those goals last night but he does need to be braver off his line

All four could have been saved. That doesn't mean I expect anyone to have saved all four, but one or two out of the four would have been a start. He also went the wrong way again for the pen and also completely beaten when they hit the bar. It's not just that he gets beaten its that he doesn't even get close or often does not even move. His anticipation and reaction is very poor.

All four could have been saved. That doesn't mean I expect anyone to have saved all four, but one or two out of the four would have been a start. He also went the wrong way again for the pen and also completely beaten when they hit the bar. It's not just that he gets beaten its that he doesn't even get close or often does not even move. His anticipation and reaction is very poor.

I suppose whether he could have saved any of the goals is subjective. The thing I have no idea about is why his kicking was so shocking.

I hope we are not in a game where we just pass it around in front of their lines of 4 and hopeful that Boufal (or someone) comes up with a moment of magic as opposed to a great passage of play

That's pretty much how WBA have lost some recent games.

They are going to be much tougher than Boro, who we struggled against.

God this game is going to be dreadful to watch if you're a neutral. Or a Saints fan. Or a West Brom fan.

Yep. West Brom: 2 lines of 4 sitting in. Us loads of possession in a w***y diamond but always sideways and backwards. A set piece wins it for one side. I dare say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Puel, pre-match presser:

We will see about injuries, I have not decided on the team yet

We will see about freshness after the tottenham game

We will see what possibilities we have

we will have to take the Everton game into account but we look at the first game

Redmond just tried to win the ball, it is difficult to accept the red card

it is over, it is important that we look forward, the last game is over

this red card prevented us getting back into the game

it stopped us playing good football and made it very difficult

we will not appeal the red card

we must think about the next game without Nathan and he will be recovered for Everton

from the bench, it looked like a duel between two players and not a red card

we looked at it after and it is down to interpretations. It was an important moment of the game

we lost 4 goals and lost the game, we must look forward

have to keep all our focus and energy for the next game instead of worrying about the previous game and the red card

we have a good spirit for the next game

WBA are a strong team who will play different to tottenham

they like to defend together with good organisation

it will be hard to play against them, arsenal found it very hard

if we want to be ambitious, we have to win this game

it is important to win this game

it will be interesting due to the way they play and they are consistent

I have a lot of respect for WBA

It is difficult to find the right player in this transfer window and find good solutions

I prefer to stay with the current squad and make progress with them

Austin is injured but perhaps shane long can take his place and make good progress

Jose Fonte is under contract and he will stay with us with Virgil

it is important that they do and keep us pushing up the table

They will of course, both stay this window

it is all speculation, which is normal. But is important that we stick with this squad and improve together

I cannot comment on Swansea or why Bob Bradley left his job, I do not know all the situation, I do not know inside the club

there we go, made a point in saying both Fonte and VvD WILL stay this window, that we need to beat WBA and that the other players need to step up with the goals

The weather forecast is 8 degrees, dark clouds and the possibility of drizzle.

I'm not saying this will be the worst football match of all time but it certainly has the potential

Worse case scenario you can cheer yourself up internally with these five gems:

1 There are Everton fans who think they will be signing VVD in this window, hell, even Koeman thinks this too.

2 There are fans on here who think Schneiderlin wouldn't get into our current side.

3 It's not Wycombe on a Tuesday night, the coldest, nil nil-est game I've ever seen.

4 We are on a sustainable 5 year path and if we have to take the odd 0-1 at home to West Brom so be it.

5 We were born with the greatest gift; a different accident of birth or a mix-up in the maternity ward and we could be skates.

Keep it real folks, 1-1, Fonte.

Worse case scenario you can cheer yourself up internally with these five gems:

1 There are Everton fans who think they will be signing VVD in this window, hell, even Koeman thinks this too.

2 There are fans on here who think Schneiderlin wouldn't get into our current side.

3 It's not Wycombe on a Tuesday night, the coldest, nil nil-est game I've ever seen.

4 We are on a sustainable 5 year path and if we have to take the odd 0-1 at home to West Brom so be it.

5 We were born with the greatest gift; a different accident of birth or a mix-up in the maternity ward and we could be skates.

Keep it real folks, 1-1, Fonte.

I saw a couple on the West Brom forum. They genuinely think that we are going to try and park the bus against them :lol:

I think we will rotate the **** out of this one and then have a stronger team for Everton.

WBA had more recovery time and have an easier game on paper on Monday (Hull home) so may go stronger for this and rotate on Monday. A draw would be a solid result.

Team will be something like:

Forster; Martina, Yoshida, VVD; McQueen; Romeu, Hojbjerg, Davis; Boufal, Tadic, Long

Everton do have a pretty poor squad - only Lukaku would get in our side? Possibly Gueye too?

They will need some serious investment to crack the top 6

I think we will rotate the **** out of this one and then have a stronger team for Everton.

WBA had more recovery time and have an easier game on paper on Monday (Hull home) so may go stronger for this and rotate on Monday. A draw would be a solid result.

Team will be something like:

Forster; Martina, Yoshida, VVD; McQueen; Romeu, Hojbjerg, Davis; Boufal, Tadic, Long

Davis won't play. He's done all the press interviews.

Hi guys the Everton game could be my sons first. He is five. Exiled up here in Liverpool so what's the ticket situation. Is the Southampton end sold out? If not how can I get three tickets? Really don't want to go in the home end and risk him turning blue.

Right. New Year not the end of the last as far as Im concerned.

Come on Puel.... play the players to their strengths and keep it simple.

4-4-2 would be nice. Davis controlling the feed to Jay Rod and Longy in front of our strong back four.

Lots of Tadic on the wing and Boufal too banging in crosses for Longy to bullet header in. Jay Rod to poach away, Strong tackling from Romeu and no Redmond to have to pick for Les.

Come on Puel you know you want to. You know it makes sense.

I'm looking forward to us playing without Redmond. More often than not he ruins momentum in attack with his poor decision making and if we perform well today and on Monday with Boufal taking more of a lead role in attack i'd like to see Redmond used more as a sub and not be virtually guaranteed a starting spot.

I'm looking forward to us playing without Redmond. More often than not he ruins momentum in attack with his poor decision making and if we perform well today and on Monday with Boufal taking more of a lead role in attack i'd like to see Redmond used more as a sub and not be virtually guaranteed a starting spot.

Good theory. But...

- Boufal probably won't start today and on Monday.

- Boufal goes to the ACON so Redmond will start pretty much every game apart from today's which he is banned for.

- Redmond isn't our biggest issue. The central midfield crabs are.

I don't rate Redmond and was very underwhelmed by him replacing Mane but there was an article in the times yesterday or Thursday about recent transfers showing he'd done better than some. Opta statistics. Top of the list was Mane though...

Right. New Year not the end of the last as far as Im concerned.

Come on Puel.... play the players to their strengths and keep it simple.

4-4-2 would be nice. Davis controlling the feed to Jay Rod and Longy in front of our strong back four.

Lots of Tadic on the wing and Boufal too banging in crosses for Longy to bullet header in. Jay Rod to poach away, Strong tackling from Romeu and no Redmond to have to pick for Les.

Come on Puel you know you want to. You know it makes sense.

I'm 100% with you on this, go for a traditional 442 with two forwards playing off each other.

I might even go wild and play Long and VVD together up front, to give us a bit of aerial menace. Yoshi can take his place at the back.

I'm guessing there'll be a fair amount of rotation for this game, so perhaps a line-up something along these lines...?

Forster

Martina

Yoshida

VvD

McQueen

Romeu

Hojbjerg

Davis

Sims

Tadic

Long

Subs: Taylor, Bertrand, Fonte, Reed, JWP, Boufal, JRod