Saints 1 West Brom 2 Reaction

Mr X

The main issue is that it's all too slow, way, way too slow. We played into the hands of Tony Pulis by playing in front of their back 8 and slowing it down ourselves.

There are a few players on the floor confidence wise at the moment and you can tell that from the extra touches they want to take. We need someone to be brave, someone who wants to take the game by the scruff of it's neck and push us up field. It's all too nicey nice, pass, pass just for the sake of it. Hojbejrg is better than that, but he's turning into a bit of a crab. All he seems to do is turn it back wards and sideways and even that wasn't being done particulary well.

Boufal was really the only player that looked like doing something, but even he ran out of idea's towards the end as he needed the other guys to start doing something for him. As was pointed out at the start of the season, we rely on our full backs to provide the width and stretch the game.

We need someone in the middle of the park with some pace, creative, energy and drive. We then need to compliment that with a powerful centre forward option who can win the ball and bring others into play. The gaps between our midfield and ''attacking'' options is too great and that's why we continue to do nothing in the final third.

Forster needs to get himself sorted as well, that first goal was diabolical goal keeping - but one thing I will say....the fans who boo and jeer him are a bunch of ****ing nobs - but we all know that.

It doesn't work like that. He picks the team, he prepares the team, he gives them direction, instructions and the motivation to go out and play for the shirt. Yes, occasionally he can do all those things and for whatever reason it doesn't happen but it's not a one-off we're talking about.

First thing he needs to do is cut down on this 'rotation' obsession. If you've got 25 great players like a City or a Chelsea then by all means but when you're putting players like Martina out on the pitch it doesn't stack-up. Change a few who need a rest but give the players a chance to play together and get some understanding going on. Players have got different players alongside them week in week out. No wonder there's a lack of cohesion and understanding.

Spot on

We simply don't have the quality to rotate so much. The likes of Yoshida and Martina are not good enough; you can't just bring them into the team and expect it to work. It looks like we will be safe, but it's going to be a tiresome season for us.

Puel has to go, it's just not working. Rowett would be a great fit, getting the best out of an average squad, which is all he would ever have here.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

The main issue is that it's all too slow, way, way too slow. We played into the hands of Tony Pulis by playing in front of their back 8 and slowing it down ourselves.

There are a few players on the floor confidence wise at the moment and you can tell that from the extra touches they want to take. We need someone to be brave, someone who wants to take the game by the scruff of it's neck and push us up field. It's all too nicey nice, pass, pass just for the sake of it. Hojbejrg is better than that, but he's turning into a bit of a crab. All he seems to do is turn it back wards and sideways and even that wasn't being done particulary well.

Boufal was really the only player that looked like doing something, but even he ran out of idea's towards the end as he needed the other guys to start doing something for him. As was pointed out at the start of the season, we rely on our full backs to provide the width and stretch the game.

We need someone in the middle of the park with some pace, creative, energy and drive. We then need to compliment that with a powerful centre forward option who can win the ball and bring others into play. The gaps between our midfield and ''attacking'' options is too great and that's why we continue to do nothing in the final third.

Forster needs to get himself sorted as well, that first goal was diabolical goal keeping - but one thing I will say....the fans who boo and jeer him are a bunch of ****ing nobs - but we all know that.

That basically says what I would say if I wasn't so disappointed right now.

Can't see much happening in the near future, going to have to grind out a performance and get some momentum going in order to gain confidence.

Here's hoping for some luck, because we sure need it right now.

IF by the end of January we're falling down the league and out of both cups (having already exited Europe) I think it will be Puel who takes the bullet (but not till the end of the season). Not sure that is fair but that's the way it goes. I blame the board for a shocking lack of foresight and investment last summer. Europe+injuries+ suspensions+matches coming thick and fast always stretch even the top teams at this time of the year; and there was a good chance this might cause a perfect storm without a larger squad of more experienced players. I guess they thought the academy players could dig us out and fill in the gaps. Big risk strategy that. Will they be proved right? Like Trousers, I think we will only know end of January; but I'm not hopeful.

Absolutely. The squad has never had the depth of quality needed this season to cope with two games a week.

We need someone in the middle of the park with some pace, creative, energy and drive.

I agree. He's available and his name is Morgan Schneiderlin, if we don't even attempt to sign him in Jan then it's another shocking decision to add to the list already made this season.

Haven't had much to say on the forum for some time and was not at the game today but for me Puel was always a worry. To be fair I had some concerns about RK when he first arrived and happily was proved wrong - however I just don't feel the same about this guy.

He seems lost and out of touch with the club/fans ethos and I'm tending to agree with some of the comments about the players losing confidence in him and his approach.

If we are not careful then we will continue to decline and the only way I see things improving is either a change in some of the 'on the pitch' personnel that will suit his tactics or (and I'm not usually a fan of changing managers too soon) a different man at the helm.

If I'm right then believe we have created lots of chances this season and have the most crosses into the opposition box of any team in the league - however whats the point in that if you don't have a target man to aim at.

In this league playing too much possession football and not being able to mix up your style of attack can leave you toothless in front of goal and that is how we are coming across - some change urgently needed because the mix and balance that we currently have is wrong!

Puel...doesn't give a toss about SFC.
criticise his tactics and his decisions, but when fans say stuff like this it drives me nuts. He lives, eats, sleeps and breaths SFC. What on earth makes you think he doesn't give a toss?

I agree. He's available and his name is Morgan Schneiderlin, if we don't even attempt to sign him in Jan then it's another shocking decision to add to the list already made this season.
why the hell would he want to come here? and take a huge paycut its not like we would be an exciting team to come to at the moment, plus we hardly ever re-sign ex-players!

I can't bring myself to blame Puel as he is the man the board wanted. Les said they had 3 interviews with him, and all the famed due diligence would have taken place too meaning he was the number one choice based on the Board's criteria. Watching the Under-23s in the Checkatrade Trophy showed a similar type of play too so Puel is playing a risk reduced style of football that is in the style of the club, which is against risk, but without risk there are no rewards.

I could only bring myself to blame Puel if he was given a decent squad to work with and ours isn't on top of it's game this season so far. I recall Les saying we had the best midfield options in the country earlier this season too but the midfield is the problem as they rarely play balls forward to the centre forwards who are then not having much to make use of.

Buck stops with the top for me at the moment and they need to back the coach they picked with a squad that gives him a chance to show if he can make it here. The board should also learn to understand that Saints fans like attacking football and always have done.

Edited by Daft Kerplunk

Can anyone give me any positives out of that match? Longs goal drought over maybe but otherwise we just ****e

Struggling to be honest. Boufal looked good to me. He can beat one, even two opponents all ends up. He looks top draw. Got to get most out of him.

why the hell would he want to come here? and take a huge paycut its not like we would be an exciting team to come to at the moment, plus we hardly ever re-sign ex-players!

If I was Morgan I'd join Everton, he isn't a Saints fan despite his 7 years here and he will be paid higher there than under us

Awful to watch and it's been like that most of season. The board selling everyone every summer has caught up with us as the previous manager worked miracles. We need to change policy or sell club. The manager is so uninspiring and his interview on Solent tonight was a car crash. Merrington who is placid let rip. Saying it was pathetic interview. Not getting value for my season ticket this year after being so happy with things end of last season.

I have no idea if he'd want to come back, just saying Reed and the club should swallow their pride and at least attempt it. I won't hold my breathe though.

A few things to mention,

If we had won today then so many of you would be saying what a great manager Puel is.

Okay we scored from a corner that was delivered short at the front post, why did we try the same tactic 6 times over.

Dreadful open play crosses that are either over hit or floated.

Need McQueen and Bertrand playing together plus let's shoot more often.

A few things to mention,

If we had won today then so many of you would be saying what a great manager Puel is.

Okay we scored from a corner that was delivered short at the front post, why did we try the same tactic 6 times over.

Dreadful open play crosses that are either over hit or floated.

Need McQueen and Bertrand playing together plus let's shoot more often.

would have said the same if Branfoot won most weeks

I don't post much these days but that aimless drivel out there today has made me very angry. Here are some well known sayings from English football in case our Clod (French pronunciation) doesn't know them:

Always play your best team.

Nothing beats a settled team.

When you've just scored don't let the opposition get the ball.

Defenders: don't let the ball bounce.

The game usually goes to the team that wants it the most.

This rotation is killing us. There is no understanding, purpose or cohesion. Most of the opposition seem to be a foot taller than our players and there always seems to be more of them on the pitch than ours. To make things even less fair they run about more and pass the ball to each other. Most of them can also run towards our goal taking the ball with them.There's a bloody great hole in the middle of the pitch where our midfield should be. All this is grossly unfair and shouldn't be allowed. Is it like this in French football?

As poor as our collapse was I'm surprised at the lack complaints about the ref.they should've had one sent of before half time, and matey who lashed out . either of those decisions were correct could've had had massive impact on the game.he was quick enough to give Virgil his 2nd yellow.

But that really is no excuse for the lack of urgency after we conceded

I needed to see a reaction after the Spurs defeat (our worst ever league defeat at St Marys) but what i witnessed this afternoon was an absolute embarrassment. Utterly clueless from players and manager against a West Brom side that don't score away from home let alone win.

I don't know what to say. Can the board just admit they got it wrong with Puel just like Swansea have?

Changes are needed, urgently

I can take defeats as its part of the game and not many games each season leave me feeling sick in the stomach but today was one of those matches / results. i.e. putting in a lacklustre performance and losing to a very ordinary team.

Its under 3 days since we went 1 up to Spurs and things seemed rosy however defensive frailties and lack of attacking craft have cost us 2 totally winable games (and every shot or chance on target that the opposition have seems to go in which doesn't help!)

We are so predictable / pedestrian going forward and never look like catching the other team off guard.

But we are Saints and knowing us we'll go to Everton and win but it's not our happiest hunting ground!

start with a steady back four , then play at least two players together up front , if he want to make changes then with oriel and ever present that leaves him the choice of attack or defensive midfield , the players are playing slow I guess partly because its not intuative as to where the teammate is because they dont have it as default who the player will be .

Today was rubbish , its so slow , no movement for throw ins , no bylines hit to turn WBA around as soon as the 2nd went in Tadic disappeared , not a guy for the trenches , Boufal drops deeper and deeper where as he should've surely been closer to Jay Rod , but the strangest move was Martina off for JWP , what did that achieve?

Does it affect the players well if they don't play well it doesn't matter because chances are they will have a little rest when the rotation makes 5 changes then be be back the game after that .

Its not the current playing style that got the players we've lost the move to other clubs , it was pace and in your face pressing the longer Puel is here with these tactics then the chances to improve the fitness and work-rate to achieve that style will mean we wont attract players either if the policy does'nt change and the club will stagnate ,

The ref well he does understand two yellows mean a red , or he remembered it in the 2nd half when Saints should've been playing against 10 men

Settled Team first , if not then Puel should rotate himself out of the club before we return to being an also ran rather than leading the rest of the league outside of the traditional top 6

I needed to see a reaction after the Spurs defeat (our worst ever league defeat at St Marys) but what i witnessed this afternoon was an absolute embarrassment. Utterly clueless from players and manager against a West Brom side that don't score away from home let alone win.

I don't know what to say. Can the board just admit they got it wrong with Puel just like Swansea have?

Changes are needed, urgently

It was a shambles no ideas no fight how long can we continue with this rubbish

Firstly if to be believed and the liebhers want to sell the club then dont expect lots of money to be spend on January players. They'll just hope to make to the magical 40 point Mark. I feel the board are mugging us right off, sell and not replacing adequately and expecting us fans to keep stumping up our season ticket money which is a significant amount.

Our football is dreadful to watch its boring,slow, predictable and unimaginative. We simply don't have the squad and our bench options are woeful.

Tactically we are terrible and so easy to play against, no plan b and plan a seems to confuse those playing. When koemann struggled last year you always felt he had the players to turn it around but I don't see it the case this year.

It's also noticeable how quiet Kruger and the magical les reed have been recently hasn't it. I don't think its all rosy right now. The Southampton way has well and truly lost its way.

Firstly if to be believed and the liebhers want to sell the club then dont expect lots of money to be spend on January players. They'll just hope to make to the magical 40 point Mark. I feel the board are mugging us right off, sell and not replacing adequately and expecting us fans to keep stumping up our season ticket money which is a significant amount.

Our football is dreadful to watch its boring,slow, predictable and unimaginative. We simply don't have the squad and our bench options are woeful.

Tactically we are terrible and so easy to play against, no plan b and plan a seems to confuse those playing. When koemann struggled last year you always felt he had the players to turn it around but I don't see it the case this year.

It's also noticeable how quiet Kruger and the magical les reed have been recently hasn't it. I don't think its all rosy right now. The Southampton way has well and truly lost its way.

This. Board want out asap. Best if they move on.

It may have been lost in translation I suppose but Puel said on Solent we were unlucky after scoring first. Merrington jumped all over it and stopped just short of saying that was bull****. He then made the good point that Puel needs to be a bit more honest. I could just imagine Koeman saying after that "nah, we were not good enough" and he would have been right.

I am sick to the back teeth of hearing about good possibilities, interesting options, blah blah blah. The system and style of play is crap and how Reed and co can sit there and kid themselves this is still "The Southampton Way" is beyond me.

Just got in. Oh dear, poor result. And reading this forum it seems we didn't play very well. Did we deserve to lose, or were we unlucky with decisions?

Some text commentary suggests WBA could have had a couple of players sent off, but then VvD did get sent off (so another one-game ban).

At least Long scored...

I just wonder if Puel believes that the crab is faster than Panther as all I see is sideways and back,sideways and back.As other posters have already said 'The goalposts are at the end of the pitch not the sides' yet we continue to slow the game down with this incessant side passing.Run at 'em.They may hack you down but at least you'll be going toward their goal.

Played some decent stuff leading up to our goal, but a frustrating and lack-lustre response to WBA's comeback.

We're looking as poor as Koeman's side did before the turn of the year last season. It was difficult to see how Koeman was going to turn things around then and it's perhaps even more difficult to see how Puel can emulate that turnaround this season. If we have a poor January then that may be the time to sign-up to the disgruntled club, but still too early for that. A pivotal month beckons.

A bad time to be losing Boufal too, just as he's starting to look at home in the cut and thrust of the Premier League.

Happy new year!

The problem with puel though is that even when we have got good results this year we have largely been pretty poor and rarely entertaining. No sign at all that we will play a brand of football that the fans will be happy with. Puel out for me for the first time this season.

It may have been lost in translation I suppose but Puel said on Solent we were unlucky after scoring first. Merrington jumped all over it and stopped just short of saying that was bull****. He then made the good point that Puel needs to be a bit more honest. I could just imagine Koeman saying after that "nah, we were not good enough" and he would have been right.

I am sick to the back teeth of hearing about good possibilities, interesting options, blah blah blah. The system and style of play is crap and how Reed and co can sit there and kid themselves this is still "The Southampton Way" is beyond me.

Puel is dull and boring and so is his team!

I think this is the crux of it. The club is up for sale and provided we get over the 40 point mark they will get their moneys worth.

Worse than that during the interview Adam Blackmore made the point that we worked the ball wide well a couple of times in the first 20 minutes and got good balls in, but there was only 1 saints player in the box, i.e. Surely we need to commit more forward in that situation. Puel's reply was along the lines that everyone has to be in position to prevent the counter so he was happy where they were , to me that seems very negative.

Back to the football. Disorganised, disjointed and a team with no natural shape because of the square pegs in round holes selections. Did we really need to change three of the back four?

Our pathetic attack suffers from Tadic on the right and Boufal on the left having to come back onto their natural foot although Boufal's left is a lot better than Tadic's swinger right foot. It needs them swopped over. Martina wouldn't be half so bad if he just stayed in our half but once over the halfway line his passing and vision is poor again stopping and turning backwards. Davis has been more lively of late but lacks bite. Hojbjerg has gone backwards and his confidence has disappeared. Romeu put in a good shift but can't do it all.

Yoshida dropped us in it far too often today and needs to put his foot through the ball on occasions. VVD looked as frustrated as he was at the end on Wednesday. McQueen worked hard and deserved more support.

The substitutions started well Rodriguez for Hojbjerg, I thought at last we are giving it a blast, then Sims even better then along comes JWP at right back, boy did that work. But no, instead of double teaming Long and Rodriguez, Long gets shuffled out to the left side Boufal strolls into the middle and Rodriguez is on his own.

The players are better than they are being allowed to be, unless the manager starts to put the players where they play their best football we are looking at plenty more of the same.

Long on Solent tonight said they weren't doing much wrong but then tried to make the excuse that they were still coming to terms with the way the manager wanted to play. FFS we've played 28 competitive games, if the players feel that they are still coming to terms with the instructions half way through the season something is dangerously wrong. The manager had no need to change the way we play and patently the players aren't comfortable playing his way. Something has got to change. The easiest thing would be the manager play the way that suits the players. It never works picking a system then shoehorning the players into it.

Compensation is an issue so I can't see Puel going anywhere however something has to give and the worse the performances the worse the results will be.

Puel interview was a car crash. Just absolute rubbish. Dave merrington saying that he wasn't honest and that the club has gone backwards this year.

Well, now that he has got rid of everyone on the staff who actually did a good job at the club, which is in fact just about everyone who was here, including coaches, managers, players and backroom staff, this Machiavellian old chap is now in almost total control and I don't think there's anyone who can get rid of him or even stand up to him:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/les-sacked-for-giving-turkeys-xmas-654543

Worse than that during the interview Adam Blackmore made the point that we worked the ball wide well a couple of times in the first 20 minutes and got good balls in, but there was only 1 saints player in the box, i.e. Surely we need to commit more forward in that situation. Puel's reply was along the lines that everyone has to be in position to prevent the counter so he was happy where they were , to me that seems very negative.

Well that ****ing worked didn't it with the breaks we allowed for the goals, VVD's sending off. He is talking rubbish. On quite a few occasions we were outnumbered at the back. We have to get about five players from attack and midfield into the box and wide players getting to the bye line. So after his recent comments about goals from every player we are down to one in the box and everybody else defending. If that's what he is espousing he's a clown.

Not rocket science we have sold steak and have replaced with value mince... Hired a clown who had the charisma of a wet fart. Rotates the team to much is tactically woeful... Massively out of his depth. Virgil is the biggest goal threat in this team currently.....

Well that really was dreadful, boring, slow predictable and toothless. Mix in a bloody awful referee and it made for a depressing watch. Today's three invisible players were Tadic, Forster (again) and Hojbjerg, Martina wasn't invisible just plain old awful (again), such a shame Pied got injured so early in the season. People sarcastically booing Forster really don't help, but the problem is when someone is so completely inept it gives these people an easy target. To be fair to him, he did make a save today, and was a bit more active in his area and his kicking was not awful, but overall he is still appalling (where has the man gone who was playing second half of last season).

You do know though that things really are bad when none of the usual happy clapper crew have made an appearance on the thread. Even they would have problems finding anything positive today (though I'm sure they will try at some point).

Thoughts:

Long looked sharp all game. It was a big mistake to move him to the left wing in the second half, he offers nothing from there against a team parking the bus.

We moved the ball far too slowly and too tentatively

Thought Forster should have kept the second goal out , but need to see it again. Looked like he got a big hand on it. He needs to save some shots.. He's literally saving nothing at the moment. If he gets a big hand to something it ought to be getting kept out considering the distance of the shot. I need to see a replay

Stupid for us to fall asleep after Long's goal. They were so difficult to break down first half and immediately threw away the advantage. Very dumb

Thought Phillips was brilliant going forward and in defence for them. Robson-Kanu had a very good game too. They did well as a unit

Only Long had a good game for us, he worked very hard and it's a shame he got shoved on the left when Rodriguez came on. The rest of them weren't good enough . Rodriguez got basically no service and had a difficult chance he probably should have done better with..but wasn't given enough service. Boufal was ok

I thought Van Dijk looked complacent and dozy today. For me his second yellow wasn't a foul.

Thoughts:

Long looked sharp all game. It was a big mistake to move him to the left wing in the second half, he offers nothing from there against a team parking the bus.

We moved the ball far too slowly and too tentatively

Thought Forster should have kept the second goal out , but need to see it again. Looked like he got a big hand on it. He needs to save some shots.. He's literally saving nothing at the moment. If he gets a big hand to something it ought to be getting kept out considering the distance of the shot. I need to see a replay

Stupid for us to fall asleep after Long's goal. They were so difficult to break down first half and immediately threw away the advantage. Very dumb

Thought Phillips was brilliant going forward and in defence for them. Robson-Kanu had a very good game too. They did well as a unit

Only Long had a good game for us, he worked very hard and it's a shame he got shoved on the left when Rodriguez came on. The rest of them weren't good enough . Rodriguez got basically no service and had a difficult chance he probably should have done better with..but wasn't given enough service. Boufal was ok

I thought Van Dijk looked complacent and dozy today. For me his second yellow wasn't a foul.

Rubbish boufal loads better than long. Other than his goal which is his first in 24 games, thought long was utterly woeful.

Dreadful, I thought Romeu was the only player to come away with any credit. Virgil, Yoshi and McQ have all looked decent for most of this season but today all 3 looked poor. 2 really silly bookings from VvD, which badly compromises our trip to Everton, to really put an extra coat of gloss on things.

Poor up front. Long may have scored but so what, it was another set piece. Nobody looked like scoring from open play all day, much like Spurs. Boufal and Tadic looked like they were trying but support from the full backs and central midfielders was poor. No overlapping runs, no forward runs in the middle.

For all those begging for Morgan to return, what exactly would he have brought to the table today? Unless he has learned pinpoint crossing or charging into the box in his time at OT, he wouldn't have helped.

If we had appointed Hoddle in 2004 we would have stayed up. If we replace Puel let's not go for a League 1 turnip head.

But if Hoddle had kept us up the Liebherrs' would never have invested and we'd likely be a championship team with a much much lower budget than at present.