What is our style of play?

Dusic

Have we lost the attributes that made us a good team?

We seem to be a possesion side in the main, but also are happy to sit back and concede possession when we face the better sides. We don't really counter attack and don't press. Not especially direct.

Regardless of current form, how are we trying to win games and score goals? For the first time in a while, its not especially obvious.

Ive been trying to identify the "game plan" since Puel was appointed

Anyone that has played Fifa has come up against similar tactics - some idiot that passes around the back 4 for 90 minutes and hopes to win the game with a single attack.

Boring and innefective

The main element is the retention and possession of the football, so we don't spend 90mins chasing around to win the ball back. On paper, that sounds great and you'd assume it would encourage good football/attacking moves etc.

But we keep the ball for the sake of it, we pass it backwards or sideways to just retain possession rather than take a gamble or a risk. This just allows the opposition to regroup, get men behind the ball and block the avenues - then just repeat it endlessly for 90mins. We're a dream to play against for the likes of Allardyce and Pulis, we just play into their hands by slowing the game down ourselves. All they have to do is stay in their shape and they've got a clean sheet.

There's nothing wrong with keeping the ball, but there's a balance between keeping the ball and passing football. I don't class us as a ''passing'' team, we just keep the ball for the sake of keeping it. I just want to see us take more risks, whether that's our full backs taking on players more often or midfielders trying a forward pass rather than playing it safe by going backwards. It's times like these where we seem too nice a team, whilst at times it's a commendable attribute, it can also be damn frustrating to see us slip into our shells.

Possession just for the sake of it which only runs down the clock and bores those watching to tears. Football is meant to be entertaining, that's why fans are prepared to dig deep and pay top dollar to watch it. I think our fans should be paid to attend matched because most of the time it is just a slow torture. Puel is killing our club and undoing years of good work and besmirching our reputation for producing exciting attacking football. I can't see things changing anytime soon and the current frustrations and anger are going to increase week by week. It's a slow death by a thousand futile passes.

To be honest over the years no matter who is in charge we have always buggered about in front of goal, it's almost like its in our DNA to try and score a perfect goal, as a friend I go to games with often says walking back to the car; "it's always after you Claude (no pun intended)in front of goal".

To be honest over the years no matter who is in charge we have always buggered about in front of goal, it's almost like its in our DNA to try and score a perfect goal, as a friend I go to games with often says walking back to the car; "it's always after you Claude (no pun intended)in front of goal".

That’s a fair point, but to be honest we’re now buggering around in midfield rather than in front of goal. We’re moving the buggering about backwards…!

Possession just for the sake of it which only runs down the clock and bores those watching to tears. Football is meant to be entertaining, that's why fans are prepared to dig deep and pay top dollar to watch it. I think our fans should be paid to attend matched because most of the time it is just a slow torture. Puel is killing our club and undoing years of good work and besmirching our reputation for producing exciting attacking football. I can't see things changing anytime soon and the current frustrations and anger are going to increase week by week. It's a slow death by a thousand futile passes.

I dont totally agree with your verdict that Puel is killing the momentum of the club,but i do think our midfielders have failed to come on in matches and stamp their authority in key moments that matter and unlock defences. We have seemingly run out of luck with players leaving and arriving this season and it cant keep happening and for us to get away with doing so, we need a midfielder willing to change the play and look for the pass to progress the game rather than play just in front of the oppositions 18 yard box with no end .our shots on goal lately are appalling and they train for this every week................hey semi rant over for now back to Morgans and Coke.

Very true. Puel and the players should watch that over and over, analysing the role of the defenders, midfield and attack, the commitment, the pace, the wanting to get on the end of it. Then look at each other and ask "why the f*** can't we play like that?"

I don't know if it is any particular style but it is painful to watch. During 50 years as a Saints supporter I don't remember anything quite as tedious with, perhaps, the exception of the Branfoot era. What really irks me is that the rather mediocre players seem reluctant to put in a shift to justify their multi £m wages while I shell out what I can for a 240 mile round trip to witness the dross that is currently being served up. Perhaps if supporters stop attending and buying club merchandise for a while the message might get home. Otherwise expect a lot more of the same.

We play like I play on FIFA 17. Too much passing, nothing going on up front, defend like hell and too often make a mistake that lets another team score with their first shot.

I can't change the way I play, for love nor money. Try as I might, it's still the endless dross that becomes so boring, I get bored watching myself play it.

That's how we play now. Sorry lads :(

What happened to fabled "Southampton Way"...it seems to have forgotten by the PR machine. I truly hope our academy teams are not being forced to play this boring brand of football too.

Putting the academy manager in charge of corporate communications really was an error.