Next Manager

MarkSFC

So given that the style of play is so poor I will put two questions out there for curiosity.

1) IF Puel does get the push in the next week or so who should we get, and could we get right now?

2) IF he survives the season and nothing improves, who should we go for in the summer?

For me;

1) Pardew for 6 months IF can't get Eddie Howe (which I would doubt very much indeed)

2) Eddie Howe!

Should have got Eddie Howe in the summer when we had a chance.

We were in Europe and had just finished 8,7,6th we were very appealing to top managers

Now we are almost on par with Bournemouth and he will see us as a sideways not upward step

He will end up and Arsenal now imho - chance has possibly past

There is no one manager with a magic wand. Having a good set up and positive air about the club and fans, and a team with great spirit is just as valuable.

True. However teams tend to play in the set-up, character, spirit and even image of the manager. He has more influence on those attributes than any other individual.

Pellegrini was interviewed in the summer and is still available. I would have chosen him and he might draw top players instead of losing them.

Yes I wanted him at the time. I remeber there was some issue about him not showing too much interest in developing the kids, whether there's any truth to that. I'd still have him here in a second.

Puel is the boards perfect man. He's doesn't rock the boat and will do enough to keep us away from the relegation zone. Bring another manager in and they will demand that the fonte situation is sorted, want a top striker signed and no players sold in January. That's never going to happen.

But koeman was if facts are correct 2 games from the chop, is this the same for Puel, because Claude won't replicate 2nd half of season form and I feel if things don't change we will finish just above relegation zone, but is this good enough for board, seems so as they'll still take in 100m from TV plus 50m from vvd and not have to spend either, win win for Kat

We have exactly the same amount of points as we did last season after 19 games. We're also in the semi-finals of the League Cup.

Like his style of play or not, be frustrated by the results or not: nobody's getting fired yet.

Do you think we will replicate last seasons run in?

I am not advocating the sack just a change in style, play and tactics.

He needs backing in this window to do that but not easy in January.

Cut out rotation and only make changes where necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frank de boer for me but after the shambles in Europe in which our stock would've been high we've become a lot less attractive to higher end managers

Were you not watching Frank De Boer's Inter in Europe? An even bigger shambles than our supposed one. He lasted 85 days there and was absolutely appalling despite making some big signings. Just how he is a better manager than what we have? Being a bigger name as a player means absolutely nothing in football coaching or management.

Could be seen as a great fit for Giggs to cut his teeth proper?

Can't see this happening. This would be a massive risk, giving a big job to someone who has no management experience of any note. 4 unremarkable games and several seasons as a senior coach having no discernible positive impact on a team visibly going backwards is hardly a great CV. I have a real problem with big name players walking into senior management jobs like this. I'm much more for them having to prove themselves in lower leagues to learn the job and show that there is more to them than once having been a good player. Can they develop season long strategies, inspire players, run coaching sessions on a daily basis, conduct transfer deals, and actually manage a squad? There is no evidence really that Giggs can do this, and I'd rather someone else took that risk than us, as there is more chance of him taking us backwards than forwards. Playing is much different to coaching and managing. Personally, I don't see why the fans are rushing to sack our manager and press the panic button. It seems some fairly hysterical response to a couple of bad results when in actual fact we are in a decent position and are doing pretty well given the considerable demands on the squad with fixtures.

Were you not watching Frank De Boer's Inter in Europe? An even bigger shambles than our supposed one. He lasted 85 days there and was absolutely appalling despite making some big signings. Just how he is a better manager than what we have? Being a bigger name as a player means absolutely nothing in football coaching or management.

All to do with Inters inside politics, to big a job for him, he had very little input on ins/outs, hence why I think Inter onto 2nd coach since him, at Ajax had them playing attractive football the 'so called late 80s Dutch way' played plenty of youngsters yes he bottled last game but I think he'd been great fit, I'm probably wrong but feel he could have been the one but perhaps mate Koeman had some negative words mainly about Reed.

Pardew and Reed are old pals, so never say never. I would have preferred De Boer or AVB in the summer, and Pellegrini sides play up tempo attacking football. Puel as a percentages man just doesn't feel 'right' for Saints IMO, felt that from the start, but don't think the current Saints board will have the balls, will or indeed initiative to sack unless we go down.

Wasn't Adkins sacked because our style of play was too passive...I remember a Les interview where he said they wanted Saints to be more assertive, playing on the front foot, not being reactive to other prem teams: hence bringing in MoPo.

And yet now we are anything but assertive.

This is not Puel's team and teams take time to build.

It would be ridiculous to sack a manager who is 9th in the premier league.

And disrespectful to talk about a new manager when we already have one.

The strength of a manager is how he reacts when problems arrive.

Allow him the time to evolve and develop.

Ideally I'd like someone with European experience, and a track record of developing players. He should take an interest in all the youth levels and be prepared to blood youngsters.

In return I would like to think the club and supporters will give the guy time to build his own team and, provided we're above half way and have a decent run in at least one of the cups I will be happy with his achievements for a first season.

This is not Puel's team and teams take time to build.

It would be ridiculous to sack a manager who is 9th in the premier league.

And disrespectful to talk about a new manager when we already have one.

The strength of a manager is how he reacts when problems arrive.

Allow him the time to evolve and develop.

This is the bottom line. Saints are a frustrating watch at the moment, but it would be a massive and unnecessary overreaction to remove the manager at this point. I think Puel needs to be more flexible in his tactics and scale back the rotation, but he also needs support from the club to bring more quality in.

This is the bottom line. Saints are a frustrating watch at the moment, but it would be a massive and unnecessary overreaction to remove the manager at this point. I think Puel needs to be more flexible in his tactics and scale back the rotation, but he also needs support from the club to bring more quality in.

Do you think Puel is the type of guy that will change his management style?.

Unless Puel is big enough to admit the way he sets up the team is too negative and that his constant excessive rotation are not working things will not improve and we'll reach the point where the crowd/fans are so against him the board will be forced to act. He must get the team playing open attacking football and ditch the negative passing for passings sake attitude. It is dull, boring and clearly turning the fans off in droves - it is not and never will be 'the Southampton way.' Change the formation and style of play or he is just hanging on until the inevitable because the fans will not accept this cringeworthy football.

Yes I agree but not sure that (financial) support will be forthcoming. Looking at that list of likely Puel replacements is depressing reading. Better stick with what we got but the squad needs freshening up urgently.