Everton post match meltdown.

Rory Peepa

Puel saying it's impossible to win due to the fixture schedule. Well the schedule wasn't ideal but that is ridiculous, it's impossible to win if you show no attacking ambition and continue with this I don't know my best side routine.

From the next match play the best eleven and stick with it, hopefully the club also gets its cheque book out to assist you with this task.

I agree with you, but from next week, we have 7 games in 28 days. Even that would mean losing against Norwich, a draw or a win and we could have 9 or even 10 games in that time, far busier schedule than anything the EL threw at us. Fixtures this season are total madness, screwed up by bloody Sky/BT.

To keep saying we played well for 75 mins is tyro league under 11's talk. Sorry but Napoleon did pretty well at Waterloo to a point and then look what happened. Must be a French thing. It's really boring football we are offering up!!

...and people forget that there were four days of top-class ocean cruising until the Titanic hit that iceberg.

Awful. Les Reed is to blame as much as Puel. What a great few years it has been but the wheels have well and truly fallen off. Not sure where we go from here. Puel needs to go, but if Reed is still here and we don't spend then very little will change.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

slighly worried about who is making the decisions on spending these days. There is a lot of potential at the club, but we could do with an instant hit or two like we had with Tadic and Pelle.

Season ticket renewal uptake will be interesting if Puel is still here.

Will be -3 in this household not since Branfoot have I felt like not bothering to turn up at home games , much like the team it seems , can't even finish listening to a Puel interview

No Cup games watched this season ( I was away for the 1st Euro game) and if we progress in FA Cup doubt I'll bother unless the entertainment returns, the 'Team' worked hard to get the league position and Europa , but seems the backroom team have nobbled them , perhaps less PR spin and more attention to actually what the product is would do the board some good, the mood in the ground was bad at WBA , another home loss and it wont just be early exits in the crowd , but attendances will drop , the crowd has already started to jeer at Forster how long before that goes viral

slighly worried about who is making the decisions on spending these days. There is a lot of potential at the club, but we could do with an instant hit or two like we had with Tadic and Pelle.

Yes. The lack of striking options is a massive issue. We are not scoring and this has had a big effect on the confidence throughout the team. Quite simply, VVD, Romeu and Bertrand aside, we have a bang average squad. Changes need to be made to start again next season.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Will be -3 in this household not since Branfoot have I felt like not bothering to turn up at home games , much like the team it seems , can't even finish listening to a Puel interview

No Cup games watched this season ( I was away for the 1st Euro game) and if we progress in FA Cup doubt I'll bother unless the entertainment returns, the 'Team' worked hard to get the league position and Europa , but seems the backroom team have nobbled them , perhaps less PR spin and more attention to actually what the product is would do the board some good, the mood in the ground was bad at WBA , another home loss and it wont just be early exits in the crowd , but attendances will drop , the crowd has already started to jeer at Forster how long before that goes viral

I'm the same, wasn't even close to not renewing under Poortvliet but at the moment, shelling out 600 quid to watch the football we're playing now, especially when I can't go every week is hard to legislate for.

Well not surprised to be honest - 20 games played - goals for = 19 which is less than 1 a game and if you take out the 3 against Bournemouth it doesn't look good - joint 3rd worst in the league.

Yes I know its been a tough schedule but CP doesn't inspire confidence and doesn't know what his best eleven are by a long way - the answer to the question of 'where do we go from here' is down!

Lastly, 3-0 is the worst possible result. Not bad enough to heap on the pressure to sack Puel or shout to the board to open the cheque book. And not 4-0, which was my bet. (To make me feel better)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What's all this nonsense about "everything was great until 70 minutes"?!? The game is about winning across 90+ minutes - about setting up a team and tactics that will allow you to score goals to WIN games FFS - not defend 0-0 or even 1-0 if by some miracle you've gone ahead. Puel and his coaching staff need to take a long hard look at themselves - whatever they are doing, it's not working with this set of players. Not only that, but the style of football is dire - we've gone backwards and it's very boring to watch.

Teams that win consistently field the strongest side possible continually - only injury should stop a sub-26 year old professional player (an athlete) from playing 3 games in a week. If the players do not believe in the Manager, then all aspects of individual and team performance will suffer. Team spirit must be at a 7 year low in the changing room right now and I strongly suspect that shaves a large % off any chance of winning a game.

Lastly, did anyone really expect the wheels would not come off the 'Southampton Way' when Pelle, Mane and Vic were not replaced properly? You could look back and pick almost an entire team that we've sold - top players not replaced. Top managers not replaced. The summer however was the 'straw that broke the donkeys back' - it was obvious to me that Redmond, Austin, Long and even J-Rod were not the forward line that would tear up the Prem and push us onto greater things. We didn't change things around and find ourselves relying on a sub-standard forward line that would probably struggle in the Championship. Romeu and VVD are the only two signings that you could actually say were of the right standard.

There needs to be something done Les Reed - the club is really running a thin line now...we've loved the journey so far - we've supported the club so far - but don't try to disguise the fact that we're marching backwards - NOT forwards - as things stand.

But how can this be, apparently we are so much better off than this time last year and in the SF of the EFL Cup. At least that's what I keep reading by the happy clappers.

Good post, and sums it all up well.

Last season we were dire, until Koeman eventually took the bull by the horns, ripped up the rule book (aka agreement with Les Reed about how to play) and changed our formation to go 3 at the back and consequently turned things around. Just can't see Claude doing something radical in the same way and risking upsetting Uncle Les as Ronald did. The current Board don't have the balls to sack Puel, so we know that's not going to happen during the season (or even next) so they have to take some decisive action in terms of signings during January, but afraid to say that I don't think Read, Kat and Ralph have the bottle to do that either.

I think a new manager would get so much more from the squad we already have.

This is very true. He plays the wrong formation, tactics, and rotation policy. Oh, and he's dreary and uninspiring. Apart from that he's fantastic.

This was on the cards before we even kicked a ball this season.

Relatively unkown manager with a history of playing drab football, failure to replace quality players, the Guan snippet of a change of diection this season. Sherlock Holmes would have treated this as a mere warm up to work out.

Now we have lost through injury the only one who remotely looks like scoring I'm afraid it's looking like a very dull yet nervous second half of the season especially if Puel is to be believed that we do not need new players.

With us not knowing whether the club is up for sale or not and with nothing coming out of the mouths of the unusually quiet hierarchy I feel that saints could once again go back to this habit of self harming after an amazing six or so years.

What's all this nonsense about "everything was great until 70 minutes"?!? The game is about winning across 90+ minutes - about setting up a team and tactics that will allow you to score goals to WIN games FFS - not defend 0-0 or even 1-0 if by some miracle you've gone ahead. Puel and his coaching staff need to take a long hard look at themselves - whatever they are doing, it's not working with this set of players. Not only that, but the style of football is dire - we've gone backwards and it's very boring to watch.

Teams that win consistently field the strongest side possible continually - only injury should stop a sub-26 year old professional player (an athlete) from playing 3 games in a week. If the players do not believe in the Manager, then all aspects of individual and team performance will suffer. Team spirit must be at a 7 year low in the changing room right now and I strongly suspect that shaves a large % off any chance of winning a game.

Lastly, did anyone really expect the wheels would not come off the 'Southampton Way' when Pelle, Mane and Vic were not replaced properly? You could look back and pick almost an entire team that we've sold - top players not replaced. Top managers not replaced. The summer however was the 'straw that broke the donkeys back' - it was obvious to me that Redmond, Austin, Long and even J-Rod were not the forward line that would tear up the Prem and push us onto greater things. We didn't change things around and find ourselves relying on a sub-standard forward line that would probably struggle in the Championship. Romeu and VVD are the only two signings that you could actually say were of the right standard.

There needs to be something done Les Reed - the club is really running a thin line now...we've loved the journey so far - we've supported the club so far - but don't try to disguise the fact that we're marching backwards - NOT forwards - as things stand.

This really is b*looks, mainly. Yes, it would be good to have a class striker, but they're few on the ground and expensive, and not guaranteed to deliver.

The problem is that our talented team not clicking. Whose fault? Maybe the manager, maybe mismatches of characters on the pitch.

But the main issue is confidence. A couple of good results, and a more settled team could work wonders.

Selling him would be disastrous. There is money available - nobody needs to be sold at all in January.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

May ask which? I am never good at spotting players that are 'not interested'. Having said that when long mis controlled a throw in near the end I didn't just put it down to him being a very average player with a poor first touch, it actually looked like he didn't really give a **** as we were two or three down and the game was lost and he'd not been haven playing time so was annoyed. I'm probably reading into it too much, or was mistaken, but thought I'd mention it.

I said "almost", Chez, but since you asked ...

Long hasn't been anything like the same player (commitment-wise) since coming back from the Euros, Tadic didn't seem anxious to create anything today (and may have become a little sulky since Boufal's signing), Clasie seems to shrug-off his giveaways without busting his nuts to recover the ball, and Fonte has gone from being a player and a leader to being just a player apparently biding his time. And then there's Redmond, who doesn't seem to score and doesn't seem to create but knows he'll be playing next game anyway. He has no incentive to pick up his game because it doesn't really matter.

Having named some names, I'm hesitant to pin it all on the payers because I think a lot of it stems from three things - Puel's dubious motivational skills, Puel's over-rotation, and the club's apparent lack of genuine ambition.

That combo can suck the air out of a dressing room and turn into a deadly malaise in a hurry. After three tame surrenders, perhaps it already has, God forbid.

I'd really like to see Redmond and yoshida gone soon. I'd rather give others spots in their positions that they fill than to see them play again. So frustrating.

Redmond is being groomed so its not gonna happen...... Yoshida will always fluff something unfortunately

To keep saying we played well for 75 mins is tyro league under 11's talk. Sorry but Napoleon did pretty well at Waterloo to a point and then look what happened. Must be a French thing. It's really boring football we are offering up!!

I think you'll find Tyro U11 is 30 minutes each way !!

I saw that article linked, and immediate thought was this it was a 'face saving' leak to the French media, probably for when he leaves by 'mutual consent'.

A good opportunity for a mutual parting of the ways with all parties saving face.

Great minds and all that.

I'd really like to see Redmond and yoshida gone soon. I'd rather give others spots in their positions that they fill than to see them play again. So frustrating.

Redmond is being groomed so its not gonna happen...... Yoshida will always fluff something unfortunately

A guy can dream...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yoshida what were you thinking?

tiredness. shortly before the incident you could see he was stretched. Tired, he made a poor decision. Quite simply he was run ragged. We don't control games, we hang on for grim life because we don't have good enough individuals keeping the ball well. A gradual erosion of talent does that.

Long hasn't been anything like the same player (commitment-wise) since coming back from the Euros, Tadic didn't seem anxious to create anything today (and may have become a little sulky since Boufal's signing), Clasie seems to shrug-off his giveaways without busting his nuts to recover the ball, and Fonte has gone from being a player and a leader to being just a player apparently biding his time. And then there's Redmond, who doesn't seem to score and doesn't seem to create but knows he'll be playing next game anyway. He has no incentive to pick up his game because it doesn't really matter.

Having named some names, I'm hesitant to pin it all on the payers because I think a lot of it stems from three things - Puel's dubious motivational skills, Puel's over-rotation, and the club's apparent lack of genuine ambition.

That combo can suck the air out of a dressing room and turn into a deadly malaise in a hurry. After three tame surrenders, perhaps it already has, God forbid.

Very good post....

I should add that Puel appears to have completely lost it....

One of the main issues is the rotational policy - where is the incentive for a player to give 110% when you know the likelihood is your going to be dropped for the following game. Vice versa you know due to the policy that you will be given game time despite your colleague in your position playing well.

Add to this the inability for players to get in a rhythm with the players around them, as they're constantly being changed from game to game I can perhaps understand the prevailing defensive mind set as your not quite sure where your colleague is going to be or the run they might make etc.

Perhaps they're was an argument for the rotation whilst we were in Europe, but not now surely. We need to have a fixed 'best side' and incentivise those on the periphery to work hard to get game time and for those playing to pull their fingers out to keep there place.

Well i am really ****ed off but will not slag of everything that moves at sfc

I understand why people do want to have a right moan but fail to know why several seem to enjoy our terrible form

If you can show me the 'several who enjoy our terrible form' I will give you credit where its due and take you seriously as a poster

That's not what he said at all. He said that it was a challenge for his wife because she doesn't have a social life and they don't know anyone here, even though she is learning English.

Perhaps she's the one with the personality. Can they job share?

That's not what he said at all. He said that it was a challenge for his wife because she doesn't have a social life and they don't know anyone here, even though she is learning English.

Could her husband learn football at the same time?

One of the main issues is the rotational policy - where is the incentive for a player to give 110% when you know the likelihood is your going to be dropped for the following game. Vice versa you know due to the policy that you will be given game time despite your colleague in your position playing well.

Add to this the inability for players to get in a rhythm with the players around them, as they're constantly being changed from game to game I can perhaps understand the prevailing defensive mind set as your not quite sure where your colleague is going to be or the run they might make etc.

Perhaps they're was an argument for the rotation whilst we were in Europe, but not now surely. We need to have a fixed 'best side' and incentivise those on the periphery to work hard to get game time and for those playing to pull their fingers out to keep there place.

exactly - spot on, but does Puel know his best team ? bet his team includes Redmond

'Challenge' is a politically correct, coded way of saying she is unhappy.

This is very true. He plays the wrong formation, tactics, and rotation policy. Oh, and he's dreary and uninspiring. Apart from that he's fantastic.

Difficult to argue with that. Did Puel say we lost because we were tired?

And Everton weren't subject to a similar Christmas schedule??????!!!!!

Something is badly wrong.

Top to bottom.

Take a look at the effort Fonte made blocking Wanyama from scoring the other night. I find it hard to equate that he is biding his time with a body on the line block. Careful also not to let your dislike of a player such as Redmond to get in the way of an assessment about effort. Playing poorly and not trying are two separate things. Regarding Long, he usually gives his all, it's just a lock of quality that lets him down. I do wonder though if he was miffed at being left out...again. Tadic is playing poorly. Not sure he has ever bust a gut though. Classie simply does not do enough or make enough tackles. For a CM he is just not a big enough factor in the game. Not sure if that is just him rather than a lack of effort. The players are trying, they just look a littl clueless going forward. I don't put that down to tactics alone, it's a lack of quality of individual. Only Boufal looks dangerous. Edited by Chez

Difficult to argue with that. Did Puel say we lost because we were tired?

And Everton weren't subject to a similar Christmas schedule??????!!!!!

Something is badly wrong.

Top to bottom.

Everton had an extra day's rest than us. No surprise that they scored all their goals in the last few minutes.

Everton had an extra day's rest than us. No surprise that they scored all their goals in the last few minutes.

you should have seen WBA. their (pretty old) defence played all the games. The oldest players in the league (I think he is) actually scored today.

of course, we had to rotate the life out of the side