Everton post match meltdown.

Rory Peepa

The wrist slashers need to take some consideration of various factors, the circumstances that helped bring about this defeat. We had suffered the most intense fixture list over the holiday period of any team in the PL, which didn't help. The defence was weakened by V V-D not playing because he rather stupidly got red-carded in the last match. The defence was also weakened by Cedric's injury very shortly after the start of the match. Additional cover would have been available but for long term injuries to Targett and Pied. Bertrand would have made a difference, but was also apparently injured. The attack is much weaker because of the long term injury to Austin.

Despite all this, we looked the better side until the 70 minute mark and Everton only really became a threat when Lennon went off to be replaced by Valencia. However, despite Rodriguez and Long ending scoring droughts in the last couple of games, I am not confident that we can rely on either of them to go on scoring sprees to the end of the season, so we really do need to sign a striker in this transfer window. The sort of striker we need is in the Pelle or Lambert mould, somebody capable of being a big target man, able to hold the ball up, to bully defenders and stretch defences. Austin gave us that, but Long and Rodriguez don't. I'm afraid it isn't really worth mentioning Redmond in that category at all.

you should have seen WBA. their (pretty old) defence played all the games. The oldest players in the league (I think he is) actually scored today.

of course, we had to rotate the life out of the side

Should we have played the ill Bertrand and the suspended VVD?

One of the main issues is the rotational policy - where is the incentive for a player to give 110% when you know the likelihood is your going to be dropped for the following game. Vice versa you know due to the policy that you will be given game time despite your colleague in your position playing well.

Add to this the inability for players to get in a rhythm with the players around them, as they're constantly being changed from game to game I can perhaps understand the prevailing defensive mind set as your not quite sure where your colleague is going to be or the run they might make etc.

Perhaps they're was an argument for the rotation whilst we were in Europe, but not now surely. We need to have a fixed 'best side' and incentivise those on the periphery to work hard to get game time and for those playing to pull their fingers out to keep there place.

Yes.

If you can show me the 'several who enjoy our terrible form' I will give you credit where its due and take you seriously as a poster

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

of course, we had to rotate the life out of the side

Shame we can't rotate Puel the tinkerman

Things however can only get better (surely) and the next 6-7 league games are winnable

He will get to the summer regardless so we probably just need to accept we will win some loss alot and play crap "football" until then

Never know he might surprise us against Liverpool

One of the main issues is the rotational policy - where is the incentive for a player to give 110% when you know the likelihood is your going to be dropped for the following game. Vice versa you know due to the policy that you will be given game time despite your colleague in your position playing well.

This is one of those footballing statements that you can completely flip around; "where is the incentive to give 110% if you know that you're in the 1st XI and will be keeping your place no matter what/where is the incentive if you know you won't break into the team other than through an injury to a senior player".

Very strange interview with Puel. Of course if we had won the schedule would not have been mentioned. It's a convenient excuse this time of year. As we had been playing 2 and sometimes 3 games in a week when in the Europa you would have thought we would be used to it by now. The guy seems to have lost his way. How Eric Black got a job here with his record is mental.

Wanyama replaced by Rom.

Mane replaced by Boufal.

Pelle replaced by Austin.

I'm not defending the sales/Reed, but the replacement of Pelle is the only one which I'd be unhappy about. The board, Puel, and the players all share an element of responsibility...but no one other than Puel can be held responsible for playing players who are totally unsuited to his 4-3-3 system. He needs to recognise the players A) aren't suited, or B) aren't good enough for said system, and adapt accordingly. You can't continually persist with something that is failing.

I don't disagree with the latter part of your post but all three of those players are considerable steps down in quality.

I mean, Lovren being replaced with Aldeweireld and Lallana being replaced with Mane and Lambert with Pelle were/are/is truly like-for-like replacements. Those three aren't.

This is one of those footballing statements that you can completely flip around; "where is the incentive to give 110% if you know that you're in the 1st XI and will be keeping your place no matter what/where is the incentive if you know you won't break into the team other than through an injury to a senior player".

Fair point, but in this day and age (accepting Rooney et al was for a time evidence in support of your statement) I am not convinced their aren't many managers who will continue to play a player who fails to continually produce the goods. Indeed how often do we hear the refrain 'play the youth' as was seen by Ronald today and his decision to drop some regulars today.

Sadly we are going backwards. Earlier in the season we were creating the most chances by any team but lack of quality was causing the lack of goals. We hardly create any chances now and still the lack of quality prevents conversion when we do. We need a complete re-think on how we set up our play and buy some quality in the transfer window if we are not to slip down the table.

All these people praising the fact that we have got the same number of points as last year at this stage seem to forget that we went on an amazing run from January to the end of the season do you really think this squad is capable of that. Where are the goals coming from and what about the defence which has conceded 9 goals in the last 3 games it will be worse if we sell VVD.

We now need to play our strongest side for all league matches and keep it settled unless there are injuries or tweeks needed to suit who we are playing, bring in some bench warmers for the 'fun while it lasts' cups.

Until Austin got injured and known to be out for many months I was just on the side club not being desparate to getting another striker but now with him out and Jrod and Long not stepping up with regular goals we do need one striker probably on loan to the end of the season, but are there out of favour or development stage players out there at world class clubs that we could have? However there is no need to get another striker if we don't get the ball to them in the right positions and play to their strengths.

P.S. The Xmas schedule with 3 games in under 5 days didn't help our situation (probably the worst overall timing combination of all teams, 2.75 day gap then 2 day gap) but I think that Puel panicked and over thought it ultimately making the wrong team and tactical decisions. Less than 5 days ago to now we hadn't even kicked off against Spurs! 1 too many matches in the EPL this week I feel for all teams, I've seen some Sky programmes questioning the Xmas schedule but Sky have contributed to it wanting a football match virtually every day.

Our 10 tens days off/rest certainly helped against THFC.

I agree, after feeling that a break was desperately needing ultimately it came at the worng time after the Boscombe result. They don't seem to have got going again following their 3 day off with their families.

The wrist slashers need to take some consideration of various factors, the circumstances that helped bring about this defeat. We had suffered the most intense fixture list over the holiday period of any team in the PL, which didn't help. The defence was weakened by V V-D not playing because he rather stupidly got red-carded in the last match. The defence was also weakened by Cedric's injury very shortly after the start of the match. Additional cover would have been available but for long term injuries to Targett and Pied. Bertrand would have made a difference, but was also apparently injured. The attack is much weaker because of the long term injury to Austin.

Despite all this, we looked the better side until the 70 minute mark and Everton only really became a threat when Lennon went off to be replaced by Valencia. However, despite Rodriguez and Long ending scoring droughts in the last couple of games, I am not confident that we can rely on either of them to go on scoring sprees to the end of the season, so we really do need to sign a striker in this transfer window. The sort of striker we need is in the Pelle or Lambert mould, somebody capable of being a big target man, able to hold the ball up, to bully defenders and stretch defences. Austin gave us that, but Long and Rodriguez don't. I'm afraid it isn't really worth mentioning Redmond in that category at all.

We lost 3-0 in case you hadn't noticed. We've shipped 9 goals in 3 games. All the claptrap you have written doesn't add up to a row of beans. We are in free fall and it won't be easy to pull out of this nosedive.

We're the only team that had to play 3 games in 6 days over the xmas period. We also had one of the more difficult sets of opponents (I can't remember exactly but I think we were fourth or fifth in terms of fixture difficulty, measured by the table position of the opponents for every team). Austin's injury, Bertrand's injury. Cedric's injury and VVD's suspension were all blows but every team including Everton has had to deal with injuries and suspensions and surely VVD could have used a rest anyway. Ultimately these all sound like excuses. We look flat and uninspired. We look like a team that could not beat its way out of a wet paper bag, and we certainly do not look like a team with the attacking tools needed to come back after we go behind. Going into this we had 19 goals in 19 games, which is poor by many standards. Excellent defence papered over the cracks a little earlier in the season.

Watching the game, I thought that both teams looked less than bang average. It's a depressing and uninspiring run of form and a wasted opportunity to beat a poor Everton side in Liverpool, something we rarely do. The question is, is this a bad run of form or a downward trajectory? If Puel out is the answer (I am still not sure that it is the answer) it also begs the question: who's reasonably available to replace him?

Also, if replacing the manager is the answer, it is something that needs to be accomplished shortly since it will be more difficult to attract someone after the window closes.

I love the black humour on this forum

Thank the lord you rocked up.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

'we looked the better side until the 70 minute mark' not sure I get that it was 0-0 and games last 90 minutes.

Well every cloud has a silver lining and all that...

Once we've let VVD, Fonte and Bertrand out the exit door in the summer, the queue will have gone! The rest of them are, umm "average" at best currently, and no one will want any of them!

We will have then peaked. Got to the point that the remainder is so average, that other premier league teams will finally not want to come shopping at Saints. Good, but in a bad way if you catch my drift...

The problem isn't who we've replaced but who we haven't.

Boufal, Redmond, Austin and Hojbjerg are all decent signings. The problem is they are all unknown quantities, replacing proven quality (with the exception of Redmond replacing Juanmi).

What we need to be doing is replacing Martina, Long and two out of JWP, Clasie and Davis. None of these players does enough to warrant their place in the team.

This really is b*looks, mainly. Yes, it would be good to have a class striker, but they're few on the ground and expensive, and not guaranteed to deliver.

The problem is that our talented team not clicking. Whose fault? Maybe the manager, maybe mismatches of characters on the pitch.

But the main issue is confidence. A couple of good results, and a more settled team could work wonders.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Mainly bowlocks eh? So which part of my post did you not agree with? Let's take a look...

* It would be good to have a main striker, but they're hard to come by...well let's see...perhaps if the scouting team and the Board had done a MUCH better job in the summer window, we would have a decent 15 goal/season striker?

* The problem is that our talented team is not clicking. Well let's see...yes, I do believe I mentioned Puel's system is not working and rotation is a big part of the problem.

* The main issue is confidence - a good couple of results (etc.). The ultimate stupid happy clapper statement. Of course good results breed confidence - derrrr - problem is we're not performing in a manner that inspires the players to deliver good results or even in manner that inspires supporters.

In terms of Puel, I don't want to see us sack another Manager in less than one season - awful thing to do. BUT - I can't listen to his interviews anymore - they are boring drivel and I can only assume the players think the same. When you're faced with a tough decision like this, taking the hardest of actions can be the bravest too.

Difficult Christmas period, that stupid lack of concentration after Longs goal now looks pivotal. Spurs are bang in form, Everton away is always historically a tough one.

Time to regroup, take stock and look forward.

Hopefully the players don't tune in here to the 'non' supporters wrist slashers forum. The failure of some not to see the big picture is amazing, it maybe a step too far from colouring books.

It's now up to Les and the Owners to support the manager in which ever way he needs, Puel now knows that Charlie, JRod and Long can not do what they were expected to do at the beginning of the season.

Difficult Christmas period, that stupid lack of concentration after Longs goal now looks pivotal. Spurs are bang in form, Everton away is always historically a tough one.

Time to regroup, take stock and look forward.

Hopefully the players don't tune in here to the 'non' supporters wrist slashers forum. The failure of some not to see the big picture is amazing, it maybe a step too far from colouring books.

It's now up to Les and the Owners to support the manager in which ever way he needs, Puel now knows that Charlie, JRod and Long can not do what they were expected to do at the beginning of the season.

Careful now, you've used a lot of perspective there, can't you just go with the flow and sack half the team, the manager and Les Reed...?

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

I'm guessing the squad was compiled in the summer to the size required and budget available. Is the club now willing and or able to add more players and their wages half way through the season? Is the flexibility required possible? I mean, signing another striker for example could be a £40m investment fee and wages. Can clubs our size make that sort of 'gamble' now? Just asking...

>>>I've never been so bored watching us and I've never been less interested in listening to our managers post or pre-match stuff, I cannot bring myself to listen to him.

agree completely !!!

Stop listening to the manager. Simple. I stopped doing that when Adkins kept talking ******** interview after interview and it makes the whole process of supporting Saints better. I haven't come up with a solution for watching the boring football,though...

Perspective - L1 and 10pt deduction after recovering from near oblivion to Mid Table Prem.

I'll take that, the custodians of this club after Lowe and everything that came before and after have made some excellent decisions since taking over the club.

Perspective, take a look through the Championship and the perennial names that have tried for years to achieve a fraction of what we are currently achieving, Leeds, Wolves, Forest, Blackburn to name but a few.

Things could be better but they are nowhere near as bad as the bed wetters on here would have you believe.

Perspective - L1 and 10pt deduction after recovering from near oblivion to Mid Table Prem.

I'll take that, the custodians of this club after Lowe and everything that came before and after have made some excellent decisions since taking over the club.

Perspective, take a look through the Championship and the perennial names that have tried for years to achieve a fraction of what we are currently achieving, Leeds, Wolves, Forest, Blackburn to name but a few.

Things could be better but they are nowhere near as bad as the bed wetters on here would have you believe.

We are where we are now, all that is irrelevant. Les Reed has stated the club is aiming for the Champions League. So when we start performing poorly and selling players constantly then I feel we have the right to question the true ambition of the club.

We have done well in recent seasons, but I would rather the club admitted we are only trying to be sustainable whilst being a feeder club for the big boys. Because that's all we are doing. Champions League and even Europa League will never happen in the near future with our business model

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Careful with the pragmatism, sir. Fitzhugh Fella will be adding you to his little black 'happy clapper' notebook as we speak ;)

It has been revealed that this season has seen the highest number of goals scored since the Premier League was founded.

Bloody marvelous that Saints have scored the least number of goals this season, when for years we have been known for being the highest scorers each season.

Considering the above statement, just how can people say things are fine, that there's nothing to worry about.

I believed in Puel, but not anymore. He's leading us to oblivion, ruining all the hard earned success built up since Markus Liebherr saved our club from going out of existence. Just how can Katarina stand by and see her father's dream sink into the disaster Puel is bringing upon our beloved club?

In terms of Puel, I don't want to see us sack another Manager in less than one season - awful thing to do. BUT - I can't listen to his interviews anymore - they are boring drivel and I can only assume the players think the same. When you're faced with a tough decision like this, taking the hardest of actions can be the bravest too.

Let me know if I'm reading this wrong. Are you suggesting we sack Puel because his press conferences are boring, and saying this would be a brave thing to do?

Absolutely. This schedule guff is a convenient smokescreen and scapegoat for the club and their forum PR team.

You'd have to be thick to think it's the sole cause of our problems, but you'd also have to be thick to pretend it doesn't contribute.

Edited by DuncanRG

It has been revealed that this season has seen the highest number of goals scored since the Premier League was founded.

Bloody marvelous that Saints have scored the least number of goals this season, when for years we have been known for being the highest scorers each season.

Considering the above statement, just how can people say things are fine, that there's nothing to worry about.

I believed in Puel, but not anymore. He's leading us to oblivion, ruining all the hard earned success built up since Markus Liebherr saved our club from going out of existence. Just how can Katarina stand by and see her father's dream sink into the disaster Puel is bringing upon our beloved club?[/QUOT

ha ha. for years we have been known for being the highest goal scorers. i cant actually believe i have just read that. Mental

Puel talked at the start of the season about how we can't play a pressing game or fast tempo because of all the fixtures. I think his instructions have us playing this slow boring way and it's making it so easy for teams to setup against us. We can't penetrate a deep line and then all they need is a couple of chances on the counter to break us down. Too early to call for the sack with our crazy congested fixtures this season. He needs to show he can turn things around when we get to 1 game a week.

Puel talked at the start of the season about how we can't play a pressing game or fast tempo because of all the fixtures. I think his instructions have us playing this slow boring way and it's making it so easy for teams to setup against us. We can't penetrate a deep line and then all they need is a couple of chances on the counter to break us down. Too early to call for the sack with our crazy congested fixtures this season. He needs to show he can turn things around when we get to 1 game a week.

It's jot just about results though. The style of football has been appaling with hardly any entertainment in comparison to previous years.

tiredness. shortly before the incident you could see he was stretched. Tired, he made a poor decision. Quite simply he was run ragged. We don't control games, we hang on for grim life because we don't have good enough individuals keeping the ball well. A gradual erosion of talent does that.

Spot on post. We hang on. Talent gradually being eroded.