Puel In / Out 2017 Edition

St Chalet

Puel In  

354 members have voted

1. 1. Puel In

Puel in. He has been dealt a tough hand in many ways with limited possibilities.

Give him a chance to mould his own side.

Correct give the guy a fair chance

However on here once the rabid dogs have howled a fair chance is never going to be allowed,

I`m just glad this forum only represents a very small but gobby minority.

The club have proven they can deliver and despite things being far from great at present some slack needs to be given

It doesn't matter what Reed says except in the short term, If we go out of the cups, don't satisfy the crowd with both style and results, the atmosphere at SMS will become increasingly toxic. The booing at the end of the WBA game is just a small example of the lid coming off the powder keg of supporter discontent. Puel has to change or he won't survive especially if Kat, Krueger and Reed get booed.

Abundantly clear from this that Puel is (rightly) going nowhere at this stage:

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/news/15005597.Reed_asks_for_fan_s_trust_in_Southampton_way/?ref=mac

We aren't a panic stations, knee jerk club like others. Reed made a decision he felt would pay off longer term, so totally understandable that he allows Puel the time to implement his ideas.

Lets hope they back him with an ability to bring in one or two players they want but right now he needs support and an atmosphere that helps the team rather than moaning at everything and everyone.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/news/15005597.Reed_asks_for_fan_s_trust_in_Southampton_way/?ref=mac

We aren't a panic stations, knee jerk club like others. Reed made a decision he felt would pay off longer term, so totally understandable that he allows Puel the time to implement his ideas.

Lets hope they back him with an ability to bring in one or two players they want but right now he needs support and an atmosphere that helps the team rather than moaning at everything and everyone.

I think that is a good article, however when Reed mentions we need more goals from midfield players "smashing it into the net" it is quite obvious that they aren't capable of that as most shots end up in row z and fail to test the keeper. Our objectives may be there, but I really don't think this crop of players are good enough to do that.

If Saints lose to Norwich, and Liverhampton, the voices of discontent will only inevitably get louder.

Personally I dislike this boring, turgid, predictable football. It would not be so bad if we looked like winning or even drawing, but we don't. As soon as someone scores against us that is it. And as for Puel excessive squad changes. No justification for the extent of changes.

In the past when we played this style we at least looked liked winning. Now we don't even look like scoring. To win you must score.

How true the rumours of player unrest are, I don't know. But I would not be surprised if there was some substance in them.

Sorry LR I don't take on board your PR ... Puel is not the manager in style or ability for this club, in this league.

That's my take. I'm I happy with everything I see on the pitch? Of course not (losing to Westbrom at home being particularly ****) but stability and time are, in general, a better strategy than knee jerking. No point bringing in a manger than canning him after half a season give him time and a chance to bring in a few players he wants. Despite people not being happy from the clubs point of view Puel is probably in around the objectives they set him at the beginning of the season. Top half finish is still possible, a cup semi-final has been achieved, getting out the Europa group stages was a fail but a close run one and on top of that he is giving the youth a chance which is very important to the club hierarchy. As long as we are not starring relegation in the face the club will give Puel a chance to build something IMO.

The Swansea game shaping up to be monumental.

Agreed. I told a Swansea supporter earlier this week that could be their turning point as we had already capitulated to the likes of Hull, & Palace. That was before their win at Palace, appointment of a new manager, and the more recent rumours of discontent coming out.

I think that is a good article, however when Reed mentions we need more goals from midfield players "smashing it into the net" it is quite obvious that they aren't capable of that as most shots end up in row z and fail to test the keeper. Our objectives may be there, but I really don't think this crop of players are good enough to do that.

Claude showed against Arsenal he can do it. if Hojbjerg can be taught to shoot 30 feet lower he can do it which is possible as he is young, hungry and therefore guaranteed to improve. Ward-Prowse seems have perfected his shooting accuracy the only problem is it's exactly a foot wide or over everytime so if he can be coached to adjust his radar slightly he could score a hatful. Puel is meant to be a great coach, afterall he coached Thierry Henry to be a very average winger before Wenger converted him into a striker 5 years later so even Lloyd Isgrove can be optimistic of his prospect under Puel.

I'm critical of Puel, but more so of Les Read, because he has the power to give Puel the striker with the skills to replace either of Mane or Pele whom he sold too cheaply.

Yes, board needs to give him proper backing in the transfer market this month. If he has their full confidence, that is.

I'm critical of Puel, but more so of Les Read, because he has the power to give Puel the striker with the skills to replace either of Mane or Pele whom he sold too cheaply.

I agree, but that striker has to be available for transfer. Even if we have £20 million to spend it doesn't mean we can find a player willing to move or a club willing to sell.

The next 4 games are crucial, if we don't see an upturn in results then I think he'll loss the majority of the fanbase

I'm critical of Puel, but more so of Les Reed, because he has the power to give Puel the striker with the skills to replace either of Mane or Pele whom he sold too cheaply.

Unless he was under instruction from the owner to sell them quickly, there was no real need to sell them when he did, especially as the only replacement for both of them he planned to bring in was Redmond, a Norwich midfielder. Mane was only 2 years into a 5 year contract, and he was playing his heart out for us and would have continued to do so for another season. I think the Pelle sale was very much like the Lambert one and the Fonte one Reed is trying to push through: the last chance to get a big transfer fee for a player in his early 30s. But, he would have happily stayed here for another year and still got a big money move to China at the end of it.

I'm thoroughly in the out camp, my feelings probably reflect roughly many of the last 5 pages of posts, so I don't feel I need to justify my position. But would it really seem a good idea to get rid of Puel now, right before one of the bigger matches since returning to the Prem, and the biggest chance we have to actually win something. Would likely destabilize the team, or perhaps motivate (if he truly has lost the dressing room as rumours suggest,) and would clearly be a massive gamble.

Pelle I have no problem with. Austin was his replacement. Problem I do have is that if Austin got injured, which he has, there is no one to get the goals. That was risky and turns out to be costly. I guess the plan was to rely on Long and Rodriguez. Risky and foolhardy

When Boufal and Austin are fit the replacements for Pelle and Mane are fine replacements, IMO Austin is better than Pelle.

Problem is depth Redmond is not good enough neither is Sims or McQueen and Martina at fullback, however the positive is if we can finish top 10 and McQueen and Sims play more long term it will be a good benefit to us.

When Boufal and Austin are fit the replacements for Pelle and Mane are fine replacements, IMO Austin is better than Pelle.

Problem is depth Redmond is not good enough neither is Sims or McQueen and Martina at fullback, however the positive is if we can finish top 10 and McQueen and Sims play more long term it will be a good benefit to us.

I wouldn't say Austin is better than Pelle atm.

After the WBA game My mind was made up, he needed to go. Then I read the Reed interview in the Echo and the part he talked about the fact that Puel was brought in for his coaching and that the season schedule so far only allowed for rest, prepare play cycle, and not the coach, improve, prepare, play, rest cycle (as a coach myself) made me pause for thought and to be frank made me think he does deserve longer.

What baffles me still though is his almost duplicate interviews and what appears to be a stubbornness to rotate because he's so ingrained in that process. He reminds me of Wenger in the stubbornness but what matters is results and (just like Wenger) they are not good enough for the squad.

I understand the need to rotate but today and a few games ago he dropped JRod when it seems to me that he is really finding his way back and what he needs for his game and his confidence is a run of 5 or 6 or more games consecutively. Maybe he takes longer to recover but I'm cynical of that, but at the same time he sticks with VVD (which obviously is good!) and Redmond (even though he's not scoring what he needs to.

If we do not sign a striker of noteworthiness in January then I worry for our PL season. I can't really see us sinking to a relegation battle but we've lost 4, it's possible to lose 4 more and then we could be in trouble.

The fact that we are creating so many opportunities without the goals to show for it means our strikers are not good enough and or being coached well enough. Given the fact that the season is not allowing for coaching time (Les Reed) then the only option is to spend some money.....probably 15-20 if not more on a striker NOW.

We had 20 shots today, and its by no means the first time this season we've had plenty of chances, no team should be failing to score with twenty shots we need someone who can convert chances all this to isolated stuff is just hyperbole.

Quoted this from the transfer window thread.

We're taking a lot of low quality shots. We were at 0,9 Expected Goals today with 20 shots. Not the first time this season or numbers have looked like that.

Puels tactics aren't working. We're not creating chances if we're playing teams that play defensively. The only good thing it's were not giving away many either. It's a bit about personnel, Tadic' injury and his dip in form after hurt our play a lot, Austin's absence even more so. But in the end your not going to score a lot if you're only playing three players whose primary job is to attack.

Unless he was under instruction from the owner to sell them quickly, there was no real need to sell them when he did, especially as the only replacement for both of them he planned to bring in was Redmond, a Norwich midfielder. Mane was only 2 years into a 5 year contract, and he was playing his heart out for us and would have continued to do so for another season. I think the Pelle sale was very much like the Lambert one and the Fonte one Reed is trying to push through: the last chance to get a big transfer fee for a player in his early 30s. But, he would have happily stayed here for another year and still got a big money move to China at the end of it.

I don't think I've ever read so much horses hite in one paragraph. Not even Alpine can match you for factual inaccuracies and wild, mouth foaming conspiracies.

Well done!

(I thought it was all David Watson's fault?)

F**king hell. I give up on football.

Only just seen this. What a bunch of helmets we have for fans. The only problems this season are the schedule and the number of chances we've missed.

Anyone sneering at this comment needs to give their head a wobble. The schedule has been tight, a) Europa League and b) f**ked over by TV at Christmas, plus the League Cup run. And yes, had we had a proven goalscorer on the pitch, a lot of those chances wouldn't have been missed.

I don't see how anyone can disagree with this assessment. Bunch of helmets is too polite, but The9 is a nice guy, so I forgive him for that.

Only just seen this. What a bunch of helmets we have for fans. The only problems this season are the schedule and the number of chances we've missed.

I think the idea of sacking Puel is ridiculous, but we've got more problems than just having a busy schedule or out and out finishing.

For me Puel has to go. We are poor this season, thankfully there are plenty of others which are quite poor which should save us.

We have gone backwards this season, partly because we sold key attacking players and not replaced them sufficiently (admittedly Mane is a one off). Plus we have a manager with really poor defensive tactics. We have moved away from what has worked high pressing attacking football into a new defensive tactic which doesn't commit too many players forward. Our midfielders do not get forward at all, the scoring record in the league this season of Davis, Ward-Prowse, Claise and Hjoberg is zero (I think). Only Middlesborough have scored fewer goals. We haven't scored in a 3rd of our league games.

The difference in the Liverpool game was we committed players forward which we will not do in the 2nd leg and I can see it being the same as Hapoel Be'er Sheva game.

I believe we will finish in the bottom 5 if we continue with the same manager and tactics. Something has to change. Manager or Tactics and I believe the tactics won't change unless the manager does.

As I fan I want to be proud and entertained by a good footballing side which I can probably count on one hand how many times I have seen that this season.

Who would replace Puel? Stam at Reading (think he spent some time with us under Koeman) or Klopps former Assistant at Huddersfield. Just want someone to continue what we had been building with the high pressing attacking football and not destroying it as Puel is.

For me Puel has to go. We are poor this season, thankfully there are plenty of others which are quite poor which should save us.

We have gone backwards this season, partly because we sold key attacking players and not replaced them sufficiently (admittedly Mane is a one off). Plus we have a manager with really poor defensive tactics. We have moved away from what has worked high pressing attacking football into a new defensive tactic which doesn't commit too many players forward. Our midfielders do not get forward at all, the scoring record in the league this season of Davis, Ward-Prowse, Claise and Hjoberg is zero (I think). Only Middlesborough have scored fewer goals. We haven't scored in a 3rd of our league games.

The difference in the Liverpool game was we committed players forward which we will not do in the 2nd leg and I can see it being the same as Hapoel Be'er Sheva game.

I believe we will finish in the bottom 5 if we continue with the same manager and tactics. Something has to change. Manager or Tactics and I believe the tactics won't change unless the manager does.

As I fan I want to be proud and entertained by a good footballing side which I can probably count on one hand how many times I have seen that this season.

Who would replace Puel? Stam at Reading (think he spent some time with us under Koeman) or Klopps former Assistant at Huddersfield. Just want someone to continue what we had been building with the high pressing attacking football and not destroying it as Puel is.

This sums it up for me. We need a serious change of attitude throughout the club and it's always possible that this might come from Puel if he ever settles down. If he doesn't learn and change then I'm dreading having to watch much more of this awful football that we play most of the time.

• 2 weeks later...