From What I've Been Told Today....

View From The Top

I'd say no. The players most likely to need resting are box to box midfielders and attacking fullbacks.

But we seem to have too many players with low fitness levels who can't regularly even last 90 mins. And that's plating at a low tempo.

This team is far less fit than under Poch, or even Adkins or WGS!

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

That's where I am at really Puel back room staff are as bad.

Has Watson improved any keeper? Why did we look shot after 20 minutes v Spurs? If Black was bought in to help Claude has he done any post/pre match media?

What do they do on match days when it's clearly not working?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Given what i've heard about Fonte's attitude to the club at the moment (pretty much directly from the horses mouth) i'd assume he's most likely to be involved in this. I'd be surprised by Bertrand to be honest, apparently him and Steven Davis are two of the more sensible, level headed players in the squad (although i heard the same about Hojbjerg and he didn't react well the other day). Have heard rumblings about VVD being a bit "jonny big boll*cks", but would be surprised if it was him too.

Anyway if there's truth in this then it's an open and shut case and Puel has to go, and that's from someone that supports him and thinks he should be given more time.

Exactly this. I supported him, but he has to go if this is true, which I believe as I know VFTT wouldn't post this without a decent source. I also suspect the players who have been the most sh*t (Fonte, Forster, Long, Bertrand, in that order) are probably the main ones behind this.

The biggest problem with Puel is seeming not to realise the fitness levels needed and assumption that two games in a week is too much for anyone.

But Black should know better.

Puel was Monaco's fitness coach before he became their manager. If anything, Puel should (and probably does) know more about fitness than Black.

After the article that made it into the paper's around this time last year about players and their confidence under Koeman - Maybe we just have a group of big ****ing babies! Also never known a team's assistant manager take so much of the brunt from the team underperforming, Jesus wept.

IMO where reed actually dropped the ball was when he hired black, puel has good credentials for a club like ours we may not have know that he existed, but he does have a good pedigree and is Southampton type of hire. Has history of playing expansive pressing football (yet to see that here mind), is very good at bringing through younguns, and has a low key personality (don't we know it). But black... I mean I'm just stunned while looking at what that guy brings to the table, he's a distinctly below average coach, has a less than glowing rep as prem coach and as we discovered a while back, is as shady a character as you can find. Which if you didn't know any better, makes you think never in a million years is he working in a top position in Southampton fc. But he's doing just that, a distinctly non Southampton type person making a living in Southampton, what I think is maybe the club's hands are tied somehow and that's why they haven't sacked him yet? I mean I don't remember seeing him too much in training videos, maybe he's already stopped doing his job and is waiting a certain time to actually get sacked?

IMO where reed actually dropped the ball was when he hired black, puel has good credentials for a club like ours we may not have know that he existed, but he does have a good pedigree and is Southampton type of hire. Has history of playing expansive pressing football (yet to see that here mind), is very good at bringing through younguns, and has a low key personality (don't we know it). But black... I mean I'm just stunned while looking at what that guy brings to the table, he's a distinctly below average coach, has a less than glowing rep as prem coach and as we discovered a while back, is as shady a character as you can find. Which if you didn't know any better, makes you think never in a million years is he working in a top position in Southampton fc. But he's doing just that, a distinctly non Southampton type person making a living in Southampton, what I think is maybe the club's hands are tied somehow and that's why they haven't sacked him yet? I mean I don't remember seeing him too much in training videos, maybe he's already stopped doing his job and is waiting a certain time to actually get sacked?

Black is being set up as the fall guy. But there is no way he could have that much influence over Puel.

Quite simple for me - Puel must go.

Hojberg doesn't strike me as the kind of hot head who lose their temper for being subbed. In fact he doesn't strike me as having the kind of temperament at all.

But more importantly, think like this - Southampton are, apparently, a mid-table side who have been pushing the top six over the past couple of seasons. We've been playing some good football and while there have been bad patches the general progression has been positive. given this position there should be teams in the PL that we aren't afraid of facing. Right now I can't think of one team in the PL that I wouldn't be nervous of us playing. And I've had that feeling all season.

What's not quite adding up for me is that if Black is the problem then why didn't the club play their 'get out of jail free' card a couple of months ago when the 'cash for favours' story broke?

Whilst it transpires there wasn't sufficient (any?) evidence to incriminate Black, surely the situation could have been exploited/engineered such that Black ended up on gardening leave indefinitely?

As I say, if the disharmony stories are true and Black is a catalyst, something doesn't quite add up.

Quite simple for me - Puel must go.

Hojberg doesn't strike me as the kind of hot head who lose their temper for being subbed. In fact he doesn't strike me as having the kind of temperament at all.

But more importantly, think like this - Southampton are, apparently, a mid-table side who have been pushing the top six over the past couple of seasons. We've been playing some good football and while there have been bad patches the general progression has been positive. given this position there should be teams in the PL that we aren't afraid of facing. Right now I can't think of one team in the PL that I wouldn't be nervous of us playing. And I've had that feeling all season.

For me, the nervousness stems from us being impotent on the attack. I get nervous in thinking that even a weak team can park the bus, defend against our limp attacks for the best part of the ninety minutes, then take one of the few chances they get as Forster is as leaky as a funnel right now, they may only need one chance. Which is the sum total of what I expect this Saturday.

What's not quite adding up for me is that if Black is the problem then why didn't the club play their 'get out of jail free' card a couple of months ago when the 'cash for favours' story broke?

Whilst it transpires there wasn't sufficient (any?) evidence to incriminate Black, surely the situation could have been exploited/engineered such that Black ended up on gardening leave indefinitely?

As I say, if the disharmony stories are true and Black is a catalyst, something doesn't quite add up.

Which is what I'm trying to say, not sacking black or even banning him seems a stunning move from the club unless there's more we don't know.

Which is what I'm trying to say, not sacking black or even banning him seems a stunning move from the club unless there's more we don't know.

They probably couldn't have 'sacked' him as technically he was found to have done nothing wrong, but pushing him to the background (aka gardening leave) would have been an option that didn't flout employment law, one would have thought. That said, and as you say, probably a lot more we don't know about (if indeed there's any truth in rumours at all)

Edited by trousers

Like it or not, Eddie Izzard ran 27 Marathons in 27 consecutive days.

He did that for charity.

So, this fitness argument over players getting paid millions per year for a 90 minute game every few days is B0LL0X.

Can Izzard play as an additional striker?

Puel was Monaco's fitness coach before he became their manager. If anything, Puel should (and probably does) know more about fitness than Black.

But we're the levels of fitness needed in the French league anything like the PL?

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

I've no idea of what's true and what's not, and we all know what Chinese whispers are like, but the worrying thing for me it seems plausible if overblown.

The bit about Shane was just my own musing.

I just want a bit of stability in the managers chair be it Claude or whoever.

Thanks for putting that up VFTT, it is a shame is a player is caught in this mud sligging and he was not part of the problem.

My info about Long saying the players loved Puel (some weeks ago ) is correct, hopefully the Black cloud may be lifted

Thanks for putting that up VFTT, it is a shame is a player is caught in this mud sligging and he was not part of the problem.

My info about Long saying the players loved Puel (some weeks ago ) is correct, hopefully the Black cloud may be lifted

I've no doubt Long did say this. He's hardly going to slag the manager off to any Tom, **** or harry, is he.

I think it's fairly clear from performances & body language that some of the players don't like Pue, Fonte being main example..

I see that Black is being lined up as the fans fall guy. More so in hope to appear not so knee-jerk against the manager himself

Seems so - An Eric Black Out poll would be telling.

Puel is what 47/53 in favor, would guess Black would be higher.

They are a package as far as im concernwed - Puel out, black out and vice versa

I've no doubt Long did say this. He's hardly going to slag the manager off to any Tom, **** or harry, is he.

I think it's fairly clear from performances & body language that some of the players don't like Pue, Fonte being main example..

true but there was no need for him to be so upbeat.Apparently he said it without being pushed. How he feels now I dont know, when Im passing next time Ill call in and see if the person who told me has heard anymore.

They did mention on solent commentary before Everton game that chairperson had spoken to the players, as a group, before the match so that part at least seams true. Personally I believe there has been issues between CP and some players but the question is are they irreversible issues or not? And who do the club value more CP or said players?

I see that Black is being lined up as the fans fall guy. More so in hope to appear not so knee-jerk against the manager himself

Whether Black is any good or not I don't know, but he's getting a fair bit of unwarranted ****e on here. He's hardly to blame for EVERYTHING

There is a heck of a lot of of over-shooting here (no pun intend...obviously good grief.) :uhoh:

This is my last post as I'm maxed out today and I have nothing more to add.

I do not believe Claude Puel HIMSELF has lost the dressing room, I think his job is being made infinitely

harder by having "a no2" whom more than one player don't particularly like.

I'm not going to name players, but I can tell you Shane Long isn't one of the more vocal ones.

One HAS been mentioned on this thread and has had dust ups with Black before, which was mis-reported as

being Dusan Tadic.

As per this:

"Some senior pros have told the club, either sort it out, which I assume means get rid of Puel, or the

players will leave and some have already instructed agents to see what's available elsewhere."

^ that also confirms everything I know, seen and have heard to be true, though NOT aimed at Claude Puel.

Let's just get things into a bit of perspective, Claude Puel is not a bad manager, he just needs time and under the

right environment..

So basically Black is a crap coach, can't motivate, puts on boring **** training sessions and is a bit of a c*nt, should of got rid of him when the Sam Allardyce fiasco came up.....

Whether Black is any good or not I don't know, but he's getting a fair bit of unwarranted ****e on here. He's hardly to blame for EVERYTHING

The focus on Black is ridiculous, imagine McMenemy being 'undermined' by Mortimore, or Ronald Koeman by Erwin - if he was the only problem he'd be out, a tried and tested hierarchy is in place here. It might be that he is being set up as the fall guy to 'appease the fans concerns' as his pay off will clearly be significantly less than Puel's. January window dressing if that's the case.

true but there was no need for him to be so upbeat.Apparently he said it without being pushed. How he feels now I dont know, when Im passing next time Ill call in and see if the person who told me has heard anymore.

I can't help thinking you may be taking what Shane said rather literally.

Shane: "Ah, Christ on a bike, he's the dogs ********, so he is, to be sure, a right craic."

I can't help thinking you may be taking what Shane said rather literally.

Shane: "Ah, Christ on a bike, he's the dogs ********, so he is, to be sure, a right craic."

take it as you want, Iam just teling people what was said. It is pertinent as fans were jumping to conclusions that he was making trouble and since the poster has said it was his own musings

Time for Fonte to go then. He's always had a bit of arrogance to him (watch the SKD testimonial locker room speech) and this was before his Euro's win. He must be unbearable now. Great player for us but now that he thinks he's too good for us we should reward his service with a move of his choosing.

it has to be said 4231 with 2 anchor midfielders (not permently sat back, license to press and get forwards when they have the opportunity), full backs bombing forward and a high pressing game through out the team is my method of choice. With Chile style 3 at the back high press being my second choice. Dare I say it Pochettino would be ideal with the two system's he plays at Spurs, but that's obvious and he's obviously not an option. I do feel though any half decent manager would be playing 4231 with our players and reverting to a back three when they saw fit

. Puel's style isn't getting the most out the players and I think some of them don't believe in the system and simply don't believe they can get a result with it. They way I see it is the players are all handicapped by the awful system.

The style we played undee Pochettino I never went home questioning the commitment of the players, for me it's a matter of the system not allowing the players to fully express themselves with and without the ball. They are effectively playing with a crutch and it's a terrible situation for a pro to find themselves in in a public environment where they are open to great scrutiny. They are effectively being shown up due to the managers tactics, thought it has to be Said many of them aren't playing and performing up to scratch regardless. That being said Puel's poor man management and tactics has clearly got in the head of the players in a bad way, it's effecting them negatively

A big issue I have with Puel is picking the system and tactics and then trying to jam the players into it. You should be looking at the players available , playing all the players in their preferred roles and the system that suits them best on a given day. Puel is inflexible, arrogant and stupid sticking to a system the players don't like

The amount of people believing this :mcinnes::lol:

They believe the bad stuff but not that long praised him lol.

I've no doubt it was posted in good faith , as despite numerous differences with the op he's never struck me as a pony artist who would make things up. No doubt the person who told him was told in good faith as well. Doesn't make it true though, I've been told things that turned out to be BS but trusted my source and still do. My guess is there probably is an element of truth in it ,players are notorious buck passes, it's not their fault. As somebody pointed out we've been there before , last season & Asshat-gate.

IF it is true it's up to the board to be strong and back the manager. We can not allow the lunatics to take over the asylum. They have to dig in and back the manager . Just as our board did 45 odd years ago with Lawrie . Then he moved a legend on and if Puel has to move Jose and one or two others on to restore order he needs to. Christ apart from VvD they're all replaceable. I remember Lawrie saying the chairman said to him " sort it out Mr Manager", and that was it. End of conversation. Reed needs to call Puel and say "sort it out Monsieur Manager" and then back him. Success comes when supporters support, players play and mangers manage. Once you blur the lines and players think they know better than the manager they need to be stamped on or moved on. Whose to say these precious darlings won't be the same when the new bloke comes in and he starts dropping a few, Instead of blaming Puel a look in the mirror is in order.

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

I've no doubt it was posted in good faith , as despite numerous differences with the op he's never struck me as a pony artist who would make things up. No doubt the person who told him was told in good faith as well. Doesn't make it true though, I've been told things that turned out to be BS but trusted my source and still do. My guess is there probably is an element of truth in it ,players are notorious buck passes, it's not their fault. As somebody pointed out we've been there before , last season & Asshat-gate.

IF it is true it's up to the board to be strong and back the manager. We can not allow the lunatics to take over the asylum. They have to dig in and back the manager . Just as our board did 45 odd years ago with Lawrie . Then he moved a legend on and if Puel has to move Jose and one or two others on to restore order he needs to. Christ apart from VvD they're all replaceable. I remember Lawrie saying the chairman said to him " sort it out Mr Manager", and that was it. End of conversation. Reed needs to call Puel and say "sort it out Monsieur Manager" and then back him. Success comes when supporters support, players play and mangers manage. Once you blur the lines and players think they know better than the manager they need to be stamped on or moved on. Whose to say these precious darlings won't be the same when the new bloke comes in and he starts dropping a few, Instead of blaming Puel a look in the mirror is in order.

Spot on

it has to be said 4231 with 2 anchor midfielders (not permently sat back, license to press and get forwards when they have the opportunity), full backs bombing forward and a high pressing game through out the team is my method of choice. With Chile style 3 at the back high press being my second choice. Dare I say it Pochettino would be ideal with the two system's he plays at Spurs, but that's obvious and he's obviously not an option. I do feel though any half decent manager would be playing 4231 with our players and reverting to a back three when they saw fit

. Puel's style isn't getting the most out the players and I think some of them don't believe in the system and simply don't believe they can get a result with it. They way I see it is the players are all handicapped by the awful system.

The style we played undee Pochettino I never went home questioning the commitment of the players, for me it's a matter of the system not allowing the players to fully express themselves with and without the ball. They are effectively playing with a crutch and it's a terrible situation for a pro to find themselves in in a public environment where they are open to great scrutiny. They are effectively being shown up due to the managers tactics, thought it has to be Said many of them aren't playing and performing up to scratch regardless. That being said Puel's poor man management and tactics has clearly got in the head of the players in a bad way, it's effecting them negatively

A big issue I have with Puel is picking the system and tactics and then trying to jam the players into it. You should be looking at the players available , playing all the players in their preferred roles and the system that suits them best on a given day. Puel is inflexible, arrogant and stupid sticking to a system the players don't like

But maybe the club has identified a system as giving them the best chance of success in the long-term. The squad will evolve to fit that system. To begin with, some players won't fit it all that well.

I don't know if that's true or not but it's a possibility. You are basically advocating adopting the formation/style used by most of the "Big 6". That's fine but they have better players than us so by doing that we are unlikely to finish above them very often. I can live with that but a lot of people seem overwhelmed with despair at our recent league position. Maybe we have decided our best way of being "disruptive" in the long-term is to develop a different style. Leicester - not a great example as it was a complete freak season, but anyway - won the league by playing a fairly unique style (coupled with large helpings of luck). They certainly wouldn't have won the league by trying to be facsimile of a Klopp, Pochettino or Guardiola team or trying to play like Arsenal.

I've no idea if that's the long-term strategy at all but it's an explanation. Maybe Puel is being stubborn by design.

Your Pro Puel agenda has been obvious but you are seriously saying that we should flog off all the players who don't like him ??

You say that everyone is replacable yet to you and Pamplemouse Puel is not . Kinda contradictory don't you think ?

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Your Pro Puel agenda has been obvious but you are seriously saying that we should flog off all the players who don't like him ??

You say that everyone is replacable yet to you and Pamplemouse Puel is not . Kinda contradictory don't you think ?

I don't think anyone's saying he's irreplaceable, more that you can't allow one or two players to dictate the management of the club.

I have never said that Puel is not replaceable.

But sack him just because we've lost three games and a few of the players think they know better? Of course not.

I have never said that Puel is not replaceable.

But sack him just because we've lost three games and a few of the players think they know better? Of course not.

Its not just because of three games, its because of the accumulated performances over the last 5-6 months. To many below par performance, out of an easy group of EPL, no improvement on players, supposedly lost the faith of key players and obviously lost support from a large part of the fans.

Its not just because of three games, its because of the accumulated performances over the last 5-6 months. To many below par performance, out of an easy group of EPL, no improvement on players, supposedly lost the faith of key players and obviously lost support from a large part of the fans.

Great but most fans know **** all all about football including me

But I do know the team is not getting the ball into the oppositions goal very often despite lots of chances surely it must be a bit down to the players