Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Fonte Joins West Ham - £8m Official

Hybrid View

Default Fonte Joins West Ham - £8m Official

Confirmed by the club on twitter.

Oops. Getting serious now.

Wonder if any others will follow

Which account are you looking at? Can't see it on the official one.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38523114

Southampton's director of football Les Reed says the player has had the chance to sign an improved deal, but Fonte has now asked to leave the club.

"He's had several opportunities to improve the contract situation. He's reserved his right not to do that," Reed told BBC Radio Solent.

"He's made it very clear he would like to explore the opportunities for a transfer.

"That's where we are at the moment, Jose wants to leave the club. He's formally asked for a transfer."

Reed went on to confirm the club have not yet received any formal bid for the player,*who joined Saints from Crystal Palace*in January 2010, and has made 288 appearances.

Fonte was linked with a move to*Manchester United*in the summer after helping his country win Euro 2016, and he wrote on Instagram last month: "Just to set the record straight I did not reject a new contract. In fact, I have been informed by Southampton that they are not offering me a new contract."

However, Reed insists new terms have been offered to the former Benfica player: "What was offered to Jose was, in my view, quite significant off the back of the contract he signed in October 2015.

"Six months later we were prepared to improve that contract and extend it. He has turned down the opportunity to increase his salary, and he's turned down the opportunity to get another permanent year on his contract."

Quote Originally Posted by trousers View Post
    This is a very sad day. Fonte has been a Saints legend during our progress from League 1 to the Prem. There is more to this than Les Reed's bland, cold statement. Fonte has been a powerhouse for Saints, and his leadership on and off the field has been immense. So he's gone to a flawed though ambitious club. What is the atmosphere in our dressing room now? The club needs leadership and I am not seeing it.

Very worried.

Thanks Jose for all you have done for Saints. You will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by eelpie View Post
    This is a very sad day. Fonte has been a Saints legend during our progress from League 1 to the Prem. There is more to this than Les Reed's bland, cold statement. Fonte has been a powerhouse for Saints, and his leadership on and off the field has been immense. So he's gone to a flawed though ambitious club. What is the atmosphere in our dressing room now? The club needs leadership and I am not seeing it.

Very worried.

Thanks Jose for all you have done for Saints. You will never be forgotten.
    Agree,although we'll have to see if new leaders emerge, especially after VVD if he leaves in the summer.

At the moment though we do appear to lack leadership, on the pitch, on the touchline.We can only speculate on the boardroom.

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Agree,although we'll have to see if new leaders emerge, especially after VVD if he leaves in the summer.

At the moment though we do appear to lack leadership, on the pitch, on the touchline.We can only speculate on the boardroom.
    And lacking leadership from the manager, from Les Read and from big Kat.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by eelpie View Post
    This is a very sad day.
    A good and old friend died just before Xmas aged 44. I found that a very sad day. I found his funeral just as sad.

Tomorrow, I will wake up, get the kids' breakfast ready and carry on as normal. I'll hopefully do that on Sunday, before picking up my old man. That might be a sad day, because the dementia he has might mean that it is his last game at Saints. I'll come back from the game feeling happy/ambivalent/dejected do the normal things in the afternoon, and go to bed knowing life's OK. I'll wake up on Monday morning, get the kids' breakfast ready, get them ready for school, go to work etc etc.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Garrett View Post
    Only decent money if it is spent on a replacement. If it's not, I would rather he stayed. I would rather he stayed and Puel went to be quite honest.

He still is a very good player.
    Quote Originally Posted by angelman View Post
    A good and old friend died just before Xmas aged 44. I found that a very sad day. I found his funeral just as sad.

Tomorrow, I will wake up, get the kids' breakfast ready and carry on as normal. I'll hopefully do that on Sunday, before picking up my old man. That might be a sad day, because the dementia he has might mean that it is his last game at Saints. I'll come back from the game feeling happy/ambivalent/dejected do the normal things in the afternoon, and go to bed knowing life's OK. I'll wake up on Monday morning, get the kids' breakfast ready, get them ready for school, go to work etc etc.
    Absolutely 1000% spot on. I lost a good friend at 36 who leaves a 2 year old daughter at the beginning of the month. That is a tragedy, that is sad day.

So many snowflakes bleating over what, at the end of the day, is simply a sport. I reckon the corridors of power at St MArys must be full 24x7 with anonymous posters on a message board claiming to know what is going on behind the scenes, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by angelman View Post

Top post! Sums it up so well!

In the tattooists where the pain is exquisite...

Billy big boll0x, VvD is the future, let fonte go for a decent amount and replace him with younger blood. Oh and OP the official Twitter have not come out and said anything, it's the bbc.
    Last edited by Saint_Ash; 05-01-2017 at 03:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint_Ash View Post
    Billy big boll0x, VvD is the future, let fonte go for a decent amount and replace him with younger blood. Oh and OP the official Twitter have not come out and said anything, it's the bbc.

The future until the end of the season.

Massively overrated player. He's been a good player and good servant but nowhere near as good as everyone makes him out to be. He makes just as many mistakes as Yoshida. I won't wish him well but won't wish him bad either.

15. Default Fonte transfer request

Quote Originally Posted by Instant Classic View Post
    Massively overrated player. He's been a good player and good servant but nowhere near as good as everyone makes him out to be. He makes just as many mistakes as Yoshida. I won't wish him well but won't wish him bad either.
    There will be a lot of posts like this, so let's nip the narrative at the bud, shall we?

Jose Fonte has been an absolute giant for us, one of our best players and a symbol of our progression. To step down from the Championship to League One and end up as a Euro 2016 winner and one of the best defenders in the Premier League, all at this club and in the space of seven years, is remarkable.

For the good of the team it looks like now is the time for him to go, but he deserves our respect and a great sendoff. Now, how about that replacement?

Quote Originally Posted by DuncanRG View Post
    There will be a lot of posts like this, so let's nip the narrative at the bud, shall we?

Jose Fonte has been an absolute giant for us, one of our best players and a symbol of our progression. To step down from the Championship to League One and end up as a Euro 2016 winner and one of the best defenders in the Premier League, all at this club and in the space of seven years, is remarkable.

For the good of the team it looks like now is the time for him to go, but he deserves our respect and a great sendoff. Now, how about that replacement?
    Absolutley... He has been fantastic for us in his (almost) 300 games for the club.
    Very sad that he wants to leave, but he will get a good send off from me..

Well said - Jose Fonte has been a legend of this club, he stayed and fought through the real bad times and got us back to the top.. don't anyone forget that and spoil his memory with "well if he wants to go, let him etc etc". There is obviously something going on at the club between players, coaches and manager. That is what needs sorting, but not by having a go at a legend. Sorry to see you go Jose but thank you for bringing us good times.

Quote Originally Posted by raucebysaint View Post
    Well said - Jose Fonte has been a legend of this club, he stayed and fought through the real bad times and got us back to the top.. don't anyone forget that and spoil his memory with "well if he wants to go, let him etc etc". There is obviously something going on at the club between players, coaches and manager. That is what needs sorting, but not by having a go at a legend. Sorry to see you go Jose but thank you for bringing us good times.
    What real bad times were they?

19. Default Fonte transfer request

Quote Originally Posted by whelk View Post
    What real bad times were they?
    Er, really?

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    It's interesting that the club has released this themselves.

He probably won't leave in January. Les Reed has made it perfectly clear that we won't let him go without us signing an adequate replacement.
    They'll want to get the story to the press in front of team Fonte/Mendes so they can help shape it, disclosing the extra year offered etc. Perfectly sensible and absolutely a precursor to a January sale. No way around that for me. If we weren't planning to sell we'd have told the press that he'd handed in a request and we'd rejected it.
    Last edited by DuncanRG; 05-01-2017 at 04:04 PM.

I'm in complete agreement with the above. Sorry to see him go and thank him.

if he goes to Liverpool and plays at St Marys again he'll be ahead if Lallana in the queue for abuse from me. f*ck him, got to big for his boots.

Good post Duncan.... totally agree

Quote Originally Posted by ALWAYS_SFC View Post
    Good post Duncan.... totally agree
    Yes, agreed - he deserves our thanks not our abuse. Money is not a motivator - especially when these guys have it overflowing out of their bank accounts. They leave because they either don't feel valued (highly probable given the ruthless nature of football and at 33 you're on the way down) i.e. he wasn't given the contract extension he thought he deserved in the summer post Euros (again, probably true...it's not the money but the time extension and captaincy guarantee he'd have been looking for then that my guess wasn't forthcoming then). Or they leave for personal reasons (wife wants to go back to Portugal) or to fulfil a bigger ambition (last chance to play at a big named club like ManUre).

Remember the club spin the publicity wheel all the time...most players do it once every three or four years. I suspect his new agent hasn't helped - the agents interest is to get a turn on a deal, not to keep him put.

Fonte has been good for the club and the club has been good for Fonte for seven years. Shame if that gets lost in a spat at the end.

He's been with us since league one. He's a club legend. His goal and celebration at Brighton away was legendary. Don't be a knob

Really? This is unbelievable. Fonte has been with the club for seven years. He joined us when we were in League One. He is the only player still with us who was in the team in that 2009-2010 season, when he joined. He has made over 250 appearances with Saints. He has been a regular on the team sheet, because of his excellent and reliable performances on the pitch. He has served as captain. But you won't wish him well? Really?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton Saint View Post
    Really? This is unbelievable. Fonte has been with the club for seven years. He joined us when we were in League One. He is the only player still with us who was in the team in that 2009-2010 season, when he joined. He has made over 250 appearances with Saints. He has been a regular on the team sheet, because of his excellent and reliable performances on the pitch. He has served as captain. But you won't wish him well? Really?
    I disagree with the sentiment of hating Fonte but he really hasn't handled this well at all. He will lose a lot of goodwill for behaving as he has, the same as Lallana did. Rightly or wrongly he will be abused by some sections of the crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I disagree with the sentiment of hating Fonte but he really hasn't handled this well at all. He will lose a lot of goodwill for behaving as he has, the same as Lallana did. Rightly or wrongly he will be abused by some sections of the crowd.
    Well, I don't know about you, but I am not privy to anything happening behind the scenes. Neither are most of us fans. It's all speculation and rumour. So, it's hardly fair to make judgments about matters we know virtually nothing about. What I have seen from Fonte in the last seven years, on and off the pitch, has impressed me.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton Saint View Post
    He was paid quite handsomely throughout the whole of his time at Saints. If he really does want to leave for even more money, because £70k a week is apparently not enough, I can't say I'd wish him well either.

He's not irreplaceable and has looked no better than Yoshida this season. The timing is unfortunate but we would need to replace him sooner rather than later anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    He was paid quite handsomely throughout the whole of his time at Saints. If he really does want to leave for even more money, because £70k a week is apparently not enough, I can't say I'd wish him well either.

He's not irreplaceable and has looked no better than Yoshida this season. The timing is unfortunate but we would need to replace him sooner rather than later anyway.
    Perhaps it's not just the money. Some people are happy to stick with the same position, the same employer, throughout their career. You might call that a lack of ambition, or a sign of loyalty. Some people want to move on, after a long period in the same job; they want to experience a new challenge, or work in a new environment. You might that call that a natural thing, or condemn it as a lack of loyalty. People have different feelings and different motives. If they've done a good job and generally behaved decently, they deserve our respect. N'est-ce pas?

great player, fantastic servant. Old Father Time has not helped him.

The King is Dead, Long live the King.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
    great player, fantastic servant. Old Father Time has not helped him.

The King is Dead, Long live the King.
    Absolutely this.....
    Next!

I didn't realise (if it's true what Reed says) that they didn't just offer him a higher salary but also an extra year.

33. Default Fonte transfer request

Quote Originally Posted by Pass the Dutchie View Post
    I didn't realise (if it's true what Reed says) that they didn't just offer him a higher salary but also an extra year.
    Where are you seeing that? Not in the Solent write up.

On another note, there are two problems this poses us in the transfer market. One is a new centre half, obviously, but we also need a line of succession for the captaincy. Van Dijk will take it when Fonte goes but he won't be around forever. Who else could realistically lead the team besides Davis, who may not be playing as much himself as time goes on?

In the BBC quote above it says: ""Six months later we were prepared to improve that contract and extend it. He has turned down the opportunity to increase his salary, and he's turned down the opportunity to get another permanent year on his contract."

35. Default Fonte transfer request

In the BBC quote above it says: ""Six months later we were prepared to improve that contract and extend it. He has turned down the opportunity to increase his salary, and he's turned down the opportunity to get another permanent year on his contract."
    Right you are. I suppose there is either something else in the terms he didn't like or he really is determined to go. I suppose you don't fire your agent and bring in Jorge Mendes unless you want to run with the big boys.

Quote Originally Posted by View From The Top View Post
    He's been brilliant for us up to this season when none can deny his attitude has sucked.

I will have no ill feeling towards him, he's doing what's best for him and his family.
    There's a lot more to come out about all this, but if his attitude has lacked then it hasn't shown much on the pitch. He's been off his best this season but still very good.

One thing we can safely guess is that he was unhappy at being dropped from the European games. That's not enough to want to leave but the fallout could have soured relations with the club.
    Last edited by DuncanRG; 05-01-2017 at 03:21 PM.

More money and an extension = a new contract so don't know why Fonte is claiming otherwise.

On another note, there are two problems this poses us in the transfer market. One is a new centre half, obviously, but we also need a line of succession for the captaincy. Van Dijk will take it when Fonte goes but he won't be around forever. Who else could realistically lead the team besides Davis, who may not be playing as much himself as time goes on?
    He Solent article has quotes from Reed saying Fonte was offered a pay rise and an extension.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

38. Default

Is anyone even interested in him? Benfica are not going to pay him the salary he wants and United no longer seem interested.

Could be awkward if no one makes an offer!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris27687 View Post
    Is anyone even interested in him? Benfica are not going to pay him the salary he wants and United no longer seem interested.

Could be awkward if no one makes an offer!
    Everton & WBA are almost certain to come in for him.

He's been brilliant for us up to this season when none can deny his attitude has sucked.

I will have no ill feeling towards him, he's doing what's best for him and his family.

He seems to have become too big for his boots since winning the euro's

Obviously though winning the euro's/a national trophy is a career achievement. He's gone down in history as a key ingredient in a national win, he's obviously wanting champions league football and a possibly title shot/fa cup/league cup before his career ends. Can't say I blame him. I'd be fuming if I was club captain, was at the club this long and was getting rotated . Especially after just winning the euro's, in his own mind he's at the peak of his career having not been in the mix at all for Portugal until very recent.

We can't forget him and Ronaldo were together as youngsters, it was a fairytale for Fonte to come back and end up winning with Portugal and Ronaldo after playing in league one for us not that long ago

End of the day he's been great for us and was a legend on the journey from league one.

Its possible he'll go to China if Man U don't come in for him considering he's at the back end of his career

Quote Originally Posted by FriendlySaint View Post
    He seems to have become too big for his boots since winning the euro's

Obviously though winning the euro's/a national trophy is a career achievement. He's gone down in history as a key ingredient in a national win, he's obviously wanting champions league football and a possibly title shot/fa cup/league cup before his career ends. Can't say I blame him. I'd be fuming if I was club captain, was at the club this long and was getting rotated . Especially after just winning the euro's, in his own mind he's at the peak of his career having not been in the mix at all for Portugal until very recent.

We can't forget him and Ronaldo were together as youngsters, it was a fairytale for Fonte to come back and end up winning with Portugal and Ronaldo after playing in league one for us not that long ago

End of the day he's been great for us and was a legend on the journey from league one.

Its possible he'll go to China if Man U don't come in for him considering he's at the back end of his career
    We've also been very good for and to him.

@adamleitchsport: Myself and @bigadamsport sat down with Les Reed at Staplewood this morning. Long chat. Lots more interesting stuff to come tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSAINT View Post
    @adamleitchsport: Myself and @bigadamsport sat down with Les Reed at Staplewood this morning. Long chat. Lots more interesting stuff to come tomorrow
    Frustrating how they do this, rather than just release the news all together, I know why they do it, but hugely annoying for the fans.

Shame, fantastic servant to the club and a big loss to us.

Thanks for the good times Jose! Shame it's ending like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Garrett View Post
    Shame, fantastic servant to the club and a big loss to us.

Thanks for the good times Jose! Shame it's ending like this.

My thoughts exactly. Good luck Jose, wherever your new adventure takes you.

Sadly the modern footballer can never have enough money!

Quote Originally Posted by warsash saint View Post
    Sadly the modern footballer can never have enough money!
    it may not be just about money

Club has played this well again. Some/many fans will turn on Jose saying he just wants more money but he's stayed through thick and thin and has been a leader for the club. Didn't he say he wanted to finish his career here? The board want to cash in whilst he has value I reckon, and whilst that might be okay in some respects, it does nothing to add to team spirit or give fans heroes. Sad indictment. He should be here and get his testimonial. Things must be bad for him personally with his relationship with the club for him to want to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Daft Kerplunk View Post
    Club has played this well again. Some/many fans will turn on Jose saying he just wants more money but he's stayed through thick and thin and has been a leader for the club. Didn't he say he wanted to finish his career here? The board want to cash in whilst he has value I reckon, and whilst that might be okay in some respects, it does nothing to add to team spirit or give fans heroes. Sad indictment. He should be here and get his testimonial. Things must be bad for him personally with his relationship with the club for him to want to go.
    You do get that HE asked to leave right? That isn't the club trying to cash in on him. He was offered a new contract FFS. It's him wanting to play else where. Also, I don't recall many "thin" moments since he's been here, so that is slightly off target too.

I don't want him to leave, but if he doesn't want to be here and has asked to leave, why not respect his wishes. Let's not make out that it is something it's not, eh?