Page 21 of 30 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,050 of 1486

Thread: Fonte Joins West Ham - £8m Official

I've been told by someone who would know that he came back from the Europe with a big attitude and demands. Trouble is his ankles apparently need constant care by the club medics to keep him going and when you look at his performances of the last 18 months (ish), you can see he gets in trouble turning on a tight radius - hence his tendency to shirt-pull. I was also told that we were looking at signing a top name CB, but the inference was to replace VVD not Fonte. I think Les and Puel are thinking good riddance, however now we're into a whole different era of player with the last of the old guard gone. Expect to see more mercenary style performances from players who have little connection to the club or it's history - even it's recent glorious history. Times'a'changing.

Jack Sullivan ‏@jsullivanwhu
    99% fonte is a West Ham player in the next hour we are just waiting for Southampton to sign! #coyi 8m

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Saints foreva View Post
    Jack Sullivan ‏@jsullivanwhu
    99% fonte is a West Ham player in the next hour we are just waiting for Southampton to sign! #coyi 8m
    Thank god none of our transfer dealings get revealed this way, what a ****

Quote Originally Posted by saintwbu View Post
    Thank god none of our transfer dealings get revealed this way, what a ****
    Rubbish we all like a good ITK

5. Default

Maybe but he is still a ****

"Make a joke and I will sigh and you will laugh and I will cry"

Quote Originally Posted by Village Saint View Post
    You name 3 players with great promise which looks increasingly like it will never be fulfilled. Great shame
    Maybe they should have stayed with us a bit longer...

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by saint77 View Post
    Rubbish we all like a good ITK
    Me as much as anybody! But not the chairman's son to make a name for himself, hardly the same as being a leak from the inside.

Can't believe his old man doesn't tell him to keep his trap shut.

Official then. As much a sideways move as he could possibly have hoped for.

https://southamptonfc.com/news/2017-...r-announcement

Southampton Football Club can confirm that Josť Fonte has joined West Ham United for an undisclosed fee.
    The 33-year-old defender today completed a move to London Stadium, following seven years at St Mary’s.

During his time at the club, Fonte made 288 appearances and scored 15 goals, and became a senior international with Portugal.

Southampton Football Club would like to thank Josť for his service and for his contribution to all the club's achievements in his time here. We would also like to wish him well for the future.
    Last edited by Red Alert; 20-01-2017 at 07:50 PM.

I like how we state "undisclosed" and WH state £8m on twitter.

12. Default

onte said: “I signed for West Ham because they are a great club and a very big club. They have a lot of fans and I have known for a number of years how passionate they are.
    “The manager was also a very big influence. I thought that he really wanted me and that he sold me the project and the ambition of the Club.
    “I also have part of my family living in London and they are big West Ham fans. It just made sense for me at this stage to join West Ham. It is a new challenge and a new beginning and I am looking forward to it.
    “With the way that West Ham is going we can only look to be challenging in the top eight.
    “I told the manager in conversations that we want to win and we want to win trophies. The ambition is big and we need to aim high.
    “West Ham are a massive club and it is an exciting challenge and it should be for everyone. We all need to get together and start working.

13. Default

Quote Originally Posted by LeBizzier69 View Post
    Can't believe his old man doesn't tell him to keep his trap shut.
    I can only assume you haven't seen much of his old man then haha, absolute slimeball

14. Default

Quote Originally Posted by S-Clarke View Post
    onte said: “I signed for West Ham because they are a great club and a very big club. They have a lot of fans and I have known for a number of years how passionate they are.
    “The manager was also a very big influence. I thought that he really wanted me and that he sold me the project and the ambition of the Club.
    “I also have part of my family living in London and they are big West Ham fans. It just made sense for me at this stage to join West Ham. It is a new challenge and a new beginning and I am looking forward to it.
    “With the way that West Ham is going we can only look to be challenging in the top eight.
    “I told the manager in conversations that we want to win and we want to win trophies. The ambition is big and we need to aim high.
    “West Ham are a massive club and it is an exciting challenge and it should be for everyone. We all need to get together and start working.
    I know you're supposed to take this with a pinch of salt anyway, but there's never been a clearer load of fan-pleasing b*llocks spouted than this time round.

15. Default

Sounds like he already had his script written for his Man United move and just scribbled out their name and put in West Ham instead

Seriously ?

17. Default

Matt Targett just retweeted a pro-Fonte tweet thanking him etc., I don't know why it's relevant for me to post that but hey.

18. Default

What a sad, anti-climactic way to close the book on the League One team. I wish Kelvin had been the last.

We really are a laughing stock- Selling club

Our captain handed in a transfer request to go to West ham

Not Liverpool, Chelsea or united
    But West ham

Let that sink in for a mo

We'll be better off without him.

22. Default

I can't help myself but I find this all a little bit amusing. From signing for Utd in the summer, he signs for Utd. You got the wrong Utd.

And his statement....lol.

23. Default

West Ham's twitter account has made more references tonight to Jose winning the Euro's than we have the last 6 months!

Gutting, really, but will just have to get on with it

Commuting between Never Never Land and a Pie in the Sky
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post

But West ham

You're going to be dining on this for years pal.

Our captain handed in a transfer request and West ham was the only club who wanted him.
    Let that sink in for a mo.

27. Default

Always thought his Adam's Apple was too big.

28. Default

Quote Originally Posted by saint97 View Post
    We really are a laughing stock- Selling club
    I think you'll fine the majority of neutral fans will be laughing at Fonte here.

But West ham

No he didn't you massive f*cking agenda ridden bellend, he clearly wanted to go somewhere bigger but had to settle once he realised nothing was forthcoming.

29. Default

But West ham

Peak Delldays.

He was coming to the end of his shelf life with us but, I feel, deserves massive respect for what he did for us. All good things come to an end & it's a bit of shame that his time end didn't end perfectly but we go on & hopefully that replacement Lies Reed said we'd have before we let him go, is still around the corner.

31. Default

I wonder how Cedric feels.

£8mm for a 33 year old going backwards .... Good business I say.

But West ham

No he didn't. He handed in a transfer request, post Euros, expecting a 'big' European club to come in for him. He got backed into a corner when no offer came, and Saints decided to let him go. West Ham, or possibly West Brom, were the only escape route open to him.

34. Default

Quote Originally Posted by DuncanRG View Post
    I wonder how Cedric feels.
    He's young, playing for a Premier League club in the semi-final of a cup and playing for his nation having just won the euros, all whilst earning millions. I'm sure he'll get by just fine without someone of the same nationality.

What and absolute muppet.

Oh well.

All I will say is....This is what you get when Liverpool and United don't come in for you. Silly boy.

Quote Originally Posted by badgerx16 View Post
    No he didn't. He handed in a transfer request, post Euros, expecting a 'big' European club to come in for him. He got backed into a corner when no offer came, and Saints decided to let him go. West Ham, or possibly West Brom, were the only escape route open to him.
    Source?

38. Default

I want to know what MLT meant by his tweet that he hadn't acted as a captain should. Can we find out now he has gone?

39. Default

Old Les must be on 10% commish

Look forward to seeing who replaces him

All the best Jose

Commuting between Never Never Land and a Pie in the Sky
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by warsash saint View Post
    He wasn't going backwards. Typical helmet revisionism/sour grapes that is a hallmark of this place. He didn't have a preseason, so needed time to get up to speed (Cedric was worse for exactly the same reason). But on the whole I didn't notice any real drop off in his play.

Thanks for the memories Jose.

Shame it ended like it did.

But We March On with 8 million in the bank and Florin Gardos as our last line of defence.

Quote Originally Posted by warsash saint View Post
    We have had a lot of deals that have been described as 'good business ' lately but we seem to be getting weaker by each transfer window. I'm sad to see him go.

Pretty gutted tbh. Feels like the end of an era with him being the last of our promoted lot.

Blog Entries

Source?
    Maybe the same ITK source that told you Bertrand was signing for Liverpool?

But West ham

Sorry but that is absolute gold. You are quite slow aren't you?

Reckon Saints should ban players from gaining their first caps while with us...seems to turn most of em into Billy Big Bollix.
    At least he didn't end up at the dippers

So after our manager went to Everton we now lose our captain to West Ham.

How or why? I don't care, it just ****es me off really. We shouldn't be losing important figures inside our club to those clubs, simple as that.

Fonte was absolutely class for us over the years but feels a bit like when Lambert left, he's on the decline and he's served as well. Just a shame it was West Ham he ended up. Let's hope we can find another top quality CB, we've been lucky over the years with Toby, VVD and Lovren all coming in and hitting the ground running.

49. Default

Do WHU have a good DM to protect him?

Source?
    Where's your source he handed in a transfer request to specifically go to West Ham?