Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
Results 951 to 1,000 of 1486

Thread: Fonte Joins West Ham - 8m Official

  1. #951

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saintwbu View Post
    Do people really think this was the reason he didn't play? He's ended up at West Ham. Perhaps the club thought 'why let this guy who doesn't want to be here, play in our biggest games, when we've got someone giving their all for the club who with a good run of games could be ready to be his replacement when he goes in January'?
    you play your best players/team if you want to progress, they were big games for the club and perhaps he may just have made the difference with his leadership in one of the games to get the right result

  2. Default

    You have no idea what went on behind the scenes. Maybe he didn't want to play them. Certainly if he thought he was going to be going to Man U, he might want to keep himself available. But that is 100% conjecture, much like a lot of what others are posting.

  3. #953

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    "Make a joke and I will sigh and you will laugh and I will cry"
    Posts
    14,785

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jai27 View Post
    Everything about our European campaign was just odd. Puel's tactics were baffling and the lack of passion and commitment from the entire squad was frankly insulting to those who made the trip for the away games. That was a golden opportunity to make club history and instead if fighting tooth and nail we bowed out with a whimper. Would we have played better with Jose in the squad? I'm not so sure.

    I can't speak for the away games but I did all the home games and I don't remember a lack of effort or passion from the team. The last home game was disappointing but we were 15 minutes from going through.
    Last edited by doddisalegend; 20-01-2017 at 04:47 PM.

  4. #954

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Hidden behind enemy lines
    Posts
    8,806

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OldNick View Post
    you play your best players/team if you want to progress, they were big games for the club and perhaps he may just have made the difference with his leadership in one of the games to get the right result
    We let in 4 goals in 6 games. Defending was never the problem.

  5. #955

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doddisalegend View Post
    I can't speak for the away games but I did all the home games and I don't remember a lack of effort or passion from the team. The last hone game was disappointing but were 15 minutes from going through.
    Really? I thought we looked awful for the home game against Hapoel Be'er Sheva and none of our players stepped up. The home Milan game was the only match I thought we actually looked like we wanted it, which is obviously going to be the case with players wanting headlines and scouts watching.

  6. #956

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saintadam View Post
    So Fonte is leaving because he wants first team football? LOL.
    Trying reading. That's not what I said

  7. #957

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    14,592

    Default

    The Europa problems were in the attacking third, not at the back. We failed to score in four matches out of six.

  8. #958

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    10,663
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doggface View Post
    Despite their improvement, Yoshida and Stephens are not the answer long term.
    Actually Stephens at least probably is the long term answer, that's why he is still here and being developed. He's not the short term answer, perhaps that's what you meant. Yoshida is both, though I would hope we have someone else lined up as well.

  9. #959

    Default

    Seems a few on here will be turning up to the Leicester game in a Saints shirt with Million, 9 on the back.

    Unless you adequately replace the player then the fee means absolutely nothing to a fan of a PL team. We have money, we need good players and he is a very good player so not sure how people can celebrate a transfer fee?!

  10. #960

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,254

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VectisSaint View Post
    Actually Stephens at least probably is the long term answer, that's why he is still here and being developed. He's not the short term answer, perhaps that's what you meant. Yoshida is both, though I would hope we have someone else lined up as well.
    See what you mean. However Yoshida has always been 3rd choice for a reason, he is having a good season but not convinced he is at the standard of Fonte at his best.

    Stephens has done nothing yet at senior level to suggest he is short, medium or long term answer IMO. He clearly has some potential and I hope he develops.

  11. #961

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mongolia
    Posts
    7,490
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dusic View Post
    Seems a few on here will be turning up to the Leicester game in a Saints shirt with Million, 9 on the back.

    Unless you adequately replace the player then the fee means absolutely nothing to a fan of a PL team. We have money, we need good players and he is a very good player so not sure how people can celebrate a transfer fee?!
    People still think it's 2004 and clearly haven't grasped the economy of the PL in todays World. 8-9M isn't that big a deal. There not many 1-2M transfers involving anyone with top PL experience behind them anymore. I agree that the fee itself is not something to get all giddy about.

  12. #962

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    "Make a joke and I will sigh and you will laugh and I will cry"
    Posts
    14,785

    Default

    This is probably the least bothered I've been about all the players that have left. I'm not going to cry about the club moving on any player in his thirties especially if they can get a decent fee for him. I'm going to cry even less if that player put in a transfer request and made quite clear he'd rather be else where. I will be bothered if we don't get in a decent replacement.

    The transfers that bother me are the young one like Oxlade Chamberlin, Luke Shaw and Calum Chambers young players with great promise that we, as fans, never really got to appreciate or see develop playing for saints. We've have had Fonte's best years and he isn't going to get any better (in fact he is more than likely to get worse) IMO, sentimentally aside, Fonte is exactly the sort of player we should be looking to move on and replace with good young players.

    ...of course if we aren't going to replace him then this is a bit Fubar

  13. Default

    Ah, but do you replace at ANY cost?

  14. #964

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    1,440

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doddisalegend View Post
    This is probably the least bothered I've been about all the players that have left. I'm not going to cry about the club moving on any player in his thirties especially if they can get a decent fee for him. I'm going to cry even less if that player put in a transfer request and made quite clear he'd rather be else where. I will be bothered if we don't get in a decent replacement.

    The transfers that bother me are the young one like Oxlade Chamberlin, Luke Shaw and Calum Chambers young players with great promise that we, as fans, never really got to appreciate or see develop playing for saints. We've have had Fonte's best years and he isn't going to get any better (in fact he is more than likely to get worse) IMO, sentimentally aside, Fonte is exactly the sort of player we should be looking to move on and replace with good young players.

    ...of course if we aren't going to replace him then this is a bit Fubar
    Spot on

  15. #965

    Default

    Would you rather:
    1. Replace now with a signing but not someone who is your first choice replacement as they aren't available in Jan.
    2. Make do with what we have til the summer and then sign our number one target as replacement
    3. Loan someone who is on par with Yoshida and then buy number one target in summer.

  16. #966

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    1,440

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EBS1980 View Post
    Would you rather:
    1. Replace now with a signing but not someone who is your first choice replacement as they aren't available in Jan.
    2. Make do with what we have til the summer and then sign our number one target as replacement
    3. Loan someone who is on par with Yoshida and then buy number one target in summer.
    4. Sign Sakho

  17. #967

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EBS1980 View Post
    Would you rather:
    1. Replace now with a signing but not someone who is your first choice replacement as they aren't available in Jan.
    2. Make do with what we have til the summer and then sign our number one target as replacement
    3. Loan someone who is on par with Yoshida and then buy number one target in summer.
    Depends how high you rate Yoshida really.
    I don't believe with our resources we cannot find better.
    I certainly think we should bring in a good defender this window to blood him in before VVD goes next window.
    If VVD gets sent off or injured we are buggered.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  18. #968

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MarkSFC View Post
    4. Sign Sakho
    Is Sakho better than Yoshida?

  19. #969

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    1,440

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chez View Post
    Is Sakho better than Yoshida?
    Yes

  20. #970

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    hiding in shadows where I don't belong
    Posts
    29,866

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chez View Post
    Is Sakho better than Yoshida?
    Of course he is, probably better than Fonte as well. Just don't understand Klopp casting him aside like that when their defence so often looks shaky. Then again Klopp is unfathomable on occasions; like why he bought that shte keeper who really is no better than Mignolet.

  21. #971

    Default

    will have to take your word for it, as I've not seen that much of him and when I did there was nothing to wrote home about.
    I wonder if any other clubs are looking at him? I have read a lot of desperate come get me type stuff probably put out by Liverpool, but not much saying anyone is having talks. Why are West Ham not looking at him rather than Fonte I wonder.

  22. #972

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    hiding in shadows where I don't belong
    Posts
    29,866

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chez View Post
    will have to take your word for it, as I've not seen that much of him and when I did there was nothing to wrote home about.
    I wonder if any other clubs are looking at him? I have read a lot of desperate come get me type stuff probably put out by Liverpool, but not much saying anyone is having talks. Why are West Ham not looking at him rather than Fonte I wonder.
    Easy one...too much money. Fonte is very cheap option for them. I'd also expect Sakho to be a bit picky where he goes.
    He's 25 or 26, was a starter in the France side last WC, he's not going to take a bit part club.

  23. Default Fonte transfer request

    Yoshida has been as good as Jose this season. Therefore he is perfectly capable of replacing this seasons Jose Fonte. What he may not replace is last seasons Jose Fonte. The big question is which Jose Fonte will West Ham get. If it's last seasons version , then they've got a good buy. If it's this season's we've mugged them off.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  24. #974

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Duckhunter View Post
    Yoshida has been as good as Jose this season. Therefore he is perfectly capable of replacing this seasons Jose Fonte. What he may not replace is last seasons Jose Fonte. The big question is which Jose Fonte will West Ham get. If it's last seasons version , then they've got a good buy. If it's this season's we've mugged them off.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If that was true then Yoshida would have played more in the league, but still, downgrading a player when he's set to leave is the norm on this forum.

  25. Default

    Yoshida never really been given a fair crack and maybe an extended run would do him good. Many players (esp strikers) coming from weaker leagues are given time to adjust, even a whole season. Yoshi in his first season did struggle to adapt a bit. Then he was replaced by Toby, Lovren and VVD, and fell down the pecking order. Confidence and an extended run might prove him to be better than a lot think. Maybe being captain for the night vs Norwich will also give him a boost.

  26. #976

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Duckhunter View Post
    Yoshida has been as good as Jose this season. Therefore he is perfectly capable of replacing this seasons Jose Fonte. What he may not replace is last seasons Jose Fonte. The big question is which Jose Fonte will West Ham get. If it's last seasons version , then they've got a good buy. If it's this season's we've mugged them off.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's absolutely spot on.

    I can't help feeling a little bit sorry for him as he seems to have ****ed on all of his fireworks. Missing half a season directly after winning the Euro's is a bit daft, especially if it's because he's thrown his dollies out of the pram. Also missing half a season at 33 is even more stupid as he's probably got no more than 18 months left of playing halfway decent football at the top level.

  27. #977

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    "Make a joke and I will sigh and you will laugh and I will cry"
    Posts
    14,785

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chez View Post
    will have to take your word for it, as I've not seen that much of him and when I did there was nothing to wrote home about.
    I wonder if any other clubs are looking at him? I have read a lot of desperate come get me type stuff probably put out by Liverpool, but not much saying anyone is having talks. Why are West Ham not looking at him rather than Fonte I wonder.
    About 12 million reasons if the transfer fees in the press are correct.

  28. #978

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Hidden behind enemy lines
    Posts
    8,806

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saints foreva View Post
    If that was true then Yoshida would have played more in the league, but still, downgrading a player when he's set to leave is the norm on this forum.
    Speak for yourself, I've been saying all season Yoshi is as good as Fonte right now. Several others seem to agree.

  29. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saints foreva View Post
    If that was true then Yoshida would have played more in the league, but still, downgrading a player when he's set to leave is the norm on this forum.
    Jose has not been as good this season as other seasons. That's not me downgrading him , he's downgraded himself. Yoshida has stepped up to the plate this season and played a lot better than previous seasons. This season they're on a par. That is my opinion , and I would still have it if West Ham were buying Yoshida & Jose was staying .


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  30. #980

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    We let in 4 goals in 6 games. Defending was never the problem.
    if we had not let in 2 of those we would have progressed , in fact had not let in one in the last game we would be through.Fine margins

  31. #981

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Hidden behind enemy lines
    Posts
    8,806

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OldNick View Post
    if we had not let in 2 of those we would have progressed , in fact had not let in one in the last game we would be through.Fine margins
    We had the second best defence in the group stage, after Shalke, and we didn't progress.

    After the first group game, only Virgil managed to score in 5 games.

    I think I know where the problem lies.

  32. #982

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    22,719

    Default

    fonte and Yoshida being on par now is damning on how far fonte has dropped in performance.

    still, Les went on record to state we would not consider a bid unless the fee was right and we had a replacement lined up.
    hopefully, that replacement is good enough to keep Yoshida as 3rd choice for the remainder of the season

  33. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Window Cleaner View Post
    Easy one...too much money. Fonte is very cheap option for them. I'd also expect Sakho to be a bit picky where he goes.
    He's 25 or 26, was a starter in the France side last WC, he's not going to take a bit part club.
    Worth pointing out that Fonte, our record earner until Van Dijk came along, is getting a pay rise at West Ham.

  34. #984

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    THE NOU CAMP
    Posts
    1,505

    Default

    I do wonder how many on here actually go to or watch Saints games that are available online. Yoshi has taken his chance this season and deservedly is playing alongside VVD.
    Yoshi has the perfect temperament, he has been a model professional and his performances have been good this season. I except he has has made the odd error.....so what so has VVD and he is our outstanding player this season.
    I'm sorry Fonte is going and the way he appears to be leaving.....if he was going to a bigger club i would have wished him well but he's going to West Ham who are most definitely not a step up.....they are the best of what was on offer and Fonte has cut his nose off to spite his face.
    I hope we do sign another quality defender....but i'm happy we have Yoshi

  35. #985

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Kings Heath
    Posts
    375

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doddisalegend View Post
    This is probably the least bothered I've been about all the players that have left. I'm not going to cry about the club moving on any player in his thirties especially if they can get a decent fee for him. I'm going to cry even less if that player put in a transfer request and made quite clear he'd rather be else where. I will be bothered if we don't get in a decent replacement.

    The transfers that bother me are the young one like Oxlade Chamberlin, Luke Shaw and Calum Chambers young players with great promise that we, as fans, never really got to appreciate or see develop playing for saints. We've have had Fonte's best years and he isn't going to get any better (in fact he is more than likely to get worse) IMO, sentimentally aside, Fonte is exactly the sort of player we should be looking to move on and replace with good young players.

    ...of course if we aren't going to replace him then this is a bit Fubar
    You name 3 players with great promise which looks increasingly like it will never be fulfilled. Great shame

  36. #986

    Default

    Les Reed, January 5th:

    “We would not consider releasing him unless there was a decent transfer fee and secondly that we were in a position to replace him.
    So there you have it - a condition on him leaving is that the club believe they can replace him.

    You can interpret that in two ways of course:

    1. You can technically argue that if the club felt Stephens could step up or that Gardos was fully fit they are entitled to consider that Fonte is replaced. Of course, that would be a complete horsesh*t move by the club.

    2. We will buy / loan a replacement.

    My expectation is firmly in 2 as anyone who thinks Fonte (even in an average season) can be replaced within would be accepting an inferior player replacing an important one.

    Over to Les Reed and Ross Wilson...

  37. #987

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Brixham Devon United Kingdom
    Posts
    164

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BARCELONASAINT View Post
    I do wonder how many on here actually go to or watch Saints games that are available online. Yoshi has taken his chance this season and deservedly is playing alongside VVD.
    Yoshi has the perfect temperament, he has been a model professional and his performances have been good this season. I except he has has made the odd error.....so what so has VVD and he is our outstanding player this season.
    I'm sorry Fonte is going and the way he appears to be leaving.....if he was going to a bigger club i would have wished him well but he's going to West Ham who are most definitely not a step up.....they are the best of what was on offer and Fonte has cut his nose off to spite his face.
    I hope we do sign another quality defender....but i'm happy we have Yoshi
    I do not understand how Fonte believes he will be better off at West Ham. Maybe a couple of grand a week for 2 years but not much more. He will be playing in a back three whereas he has been used to playing alongside an excellent partner here every season. I think it will end in tears.

  38. #988

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WokingSaint View Post
    I do not understand how Fonte believes he will be better off at West Ham.
    Maybe it's just because he knows there he doesn't have to deal with the people he's grown to dislike at Saints, whoever they may be.
    Last edited by Pass the Dutchie; 20-01-2017 at 07:21 PM. Reason: typo

  39. #989

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    hiding in shadows where I don't belong
    Posts
    29,866

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pass the Dutchie View Post
    Maybe it's just because he knows there he doesn't have to deal with the people he's grown to dislike at Saints, whover they may be.

    Sounds like a very reasonable reason. People need change sometimes. We got a lot of good years out of him and now he's moved on...good luck to the bloke.

  40. #990

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Duckhunter View Post
    Jose has not been as good this season as other seasons. That's not me downgrading him , he's downgraded himself. Yoshida has stepped up to the plate this season and played a lot better than previous seasons. This season they're on a par. That is my opinion , and I would still have it if West Ham were buying Yoshida & Jose was staying .


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yup. Yoshida was always prone to making an error or two but he seems to have cut that out of his game. Perhaps playing alongside someone like VVD takes the pressure off him slightly as well.

    I do however hope that we sign another centre back, because we're a bit light. Unless, of course, the club feel that Stephens can step up to the plate as and when he is required.

  41. #991

    Default

    come back from the Euros giving it the Bobby big dollox! Expexting the big boys to come in for him and now is off to Wet Sham..... Thanks for the service your not bigger than our club we March on!

  42. Default

    Medical done according to Twitter, may hear an announcement by the end of the night

  43. #993

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Costa del Bassett
    Posts
    2,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pass the Dutchie View Post
    Maybe it's just because he knows there he doesn't have to deal with the people he's grown to dislike at Saints, whoever they may be.
    Fits in with the info I had recently.

  44. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lallana's Left Peg View Post
    Les Reed, January 5th:



    So there you have it - a condition on him leaving is that the club believe they can replace him.

    You can interpret that in two ways of course:

    1. You can technically argue that if the club felt Stephens could step up or that Gardos was fully fit they are entitled to consider that Fonte is replaced. Of course, that would be a complete horsesh*t move by the club.

    2. We will buy / loan a replacement.

    My expectation is firmly in 2 as anyone who thinks Fonte (even in an average season) can be replaced within would be accepting an inferior player replacing an important one.

    Over to Les Reed and Ross Wilson...
    Depends if you believe what comes out of Les Reed's mouth.

  45. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    Fits in with the info I had recently.
    FFS, I really do hate it when people drop this sort of **** without quantifying it.

  46. #996

    Default

    Deal completed with West Ham

  47. #997

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southampton, United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by angelman View Post
    FFS, I really do hate it when people drop this sort of **** without quantifying it.
    This fits in with what I heard.

  48. #998

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bartonia 2, 000, 000 years ago
    Posts
    5,502

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick75Sfc View Post
    Deal completed with West Ham
    Guess our replacement was signed on the hush hush then!?

  49. #999

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southampton, United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    Yup. Yoshida was always prone to making an error or two but he seems to have cut that out of his game. Perhaps playing alongside someone like VVD takes the pressure off him slightly as well.

    I do however hope that we sign another centre back, because we're a bit light. Unless, of course, the club feel that Stephens can step up to the plate as and when he is required.
    I've said this before, but its worth remembering that Maya is now only 28 and coming in to his prime as a central defender. Fonte was not playing Premier League football at 28 (or maybe just), but was just as prone then to the odd error at Maya.

    Yoshida has something Fonte has never had, and that is pace. If he develops as good an understanding then he is a very adequate replacement.

    I still think we will bring someone in.

  50. #1000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ally_uk View Post
    come back from the Euros giving it the Bobby big dollox! Expexting the big boys to come in for him and now is off to Wet Sham..... Thanks for the service your not bigger than our club we March on!
    Wrong

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •