Fonte Joins West Ham - £8m Official

Saints foreva

But Lambert wasn't looking to move. Wasn't it a case of LFC saying they want him, and SFC telling him that they did and if he wanted to, he could go? But agree, written transfer is the way to do things, even if loyalty bonuses are supposedly forfeited.

Not sure why people have to pretend they are not bothered about someone who has been a fundamental part of the spine of our team for many years leaving. Or that he is no longer any good or an important player for us. That's just ludicrous but by SWF standards I'm not really surprised.

Important player a couple of years ago? You lost credibility there.

Seems like an on-going theme when a player leaves.. "naah he wasn't that good anyways". Happened when Pellé, Wanyama and even Mané left.

If the club don't fint an appropriate replacement, Fonte leaving will be a huge blow..

He's continued to be our captain this year unless 'rotated' or until his fall out and is a current European champion. I appreciate your efforts to rewrite and downplay his status to fit the circumstances but he really is / was one of our 'top' players.

Yes, he was a top player; he's not anymore - he doesn't even necessarily get in our best team. And no-one is rewriting history, but you are distorting the present if you still think he is an invaluable cog in our team. Apart from which, he is meant to be our captain and figurehead, yet has said formally he doesn't want to be at the club. Hardly behaviour befitting his role. Take the money and remember the good years.

Yes, he was a top player; he's not anymore - he doesn't even necessarily get in our best team. And no-one is rewriting history, but you are distorting the present if you still think he is an invaluable cog in our team. Apart from which, he is meant to be our captain and figurehead, yet has said formally he doesn't want to be at the club. Hardly behaviour befitting his role. Take the money and remember the good years.

Agreed apart from bit in bold. For whatever reason, he is not automatic first choice and that has hurt him. Can't blame him for submitting a transfer request and moving to a club where he will probably be the first name on the team sheet. He wants to play every week and a top six club nearly always rotates these days. It will be interesting to see how his fitness handles playing every match.

Sounds like we'll be getting around 8mil for him. That's an insane amount of money for a 33 year old CB.

With West Ham now being the most likely destination (also the only club that's likely to pay Jose what he's after) do we think he'll do well there? Personally I reckon he'll have this second half of this season putting in a middling performance, they'll then buy a new defender in the summer and he'll spend the rest of his career on the bench.

Agreed apart from bit in bold. For whatever reason, he is not automatic first choice and that has hurt him. Can't blame him for submitting a transfer request and moving to a club where he will probably be the first name on the team sheet. He wants to play every week and a top six club nearly always rotates these days. It will be interesting to see how his fitness handles playing every match.

So Fonte is leaving because he wants first team football? LOL.

Sounds like we'll be getting around 8mil for him. That's an insane amount of money for a 33 year old CB.

With West Ham now being the most likely destination (also the only club that's likely to pay Jose what he's after) do we think he'll do well there? Personally I reckon he'll have this second half of this season putting in a middling performance, they'll then buy a new defender in the summer and he'll spend the rest of his career on the bench.

Only decent money if it is spent on a replacement. If it's not, I would rather he stayed. I would rather he stayed and Puel went to be quite honest.

He still is a very good player.

I think it's a good deal for both parties. They get a decent CB for a season despite his ability deteriorating, and lets face it, £10m is bugger all these days.

We get a decent chunk and a decent profit from the deal, and Fonte's best years, and are able to re-invest - this being the key part of it.

Can we get by to the end of the season? I don't think we can, hence why the club has been trying to get Sakho on loan. We'd be buggered and risking relegation if VVD was to get injured, even for a few months. I don't think it's a great time to buy a CB as teams unlikely to want to sell them, so a short term replacement untilt he summer would seem like the best move.

My bigger concern is what this means for the club in the bigger picture. The club captain wanting out, who else wants out? Why does he want out? Problems with the manager setup, continual selling of players?

Lets face it he was likely to be replaced this summer anyway....

I think even you realise the forum has been operating for more than a week. I'm sure you definitely weren't one of those who said we don't sell in January.

We don't sell in January, as the sales of our big stars wanted by big clubs shows. If you can find me one we sold in January, crack on. Ten points for the first Jack Cork reply.

This is a slightly different situation to those and, if anything, could be used as an example of us saying no and holding on for half an additional season rather than selling last summer.

But hey, you don't care about that, you myth-buster you.

We don't sell in January, as the sales of our big stars wanted by big clubs shows. If you can find me one we sold in January, crack on. Ten points for the first Jack Cork reply.

Jason Puncheon. How do I collect those ten points and where can I spend them?

Oh, and the football genius that was Paul Wotton went in the January window I believe. That's got to be worth another ten?

I think even you realise the forum has been operating for more than a week. I'm sure you definitely weren't one of those who said we don't sell in January.

We don’t sell TOP players or managers in January - we normally do that in May, June and July

Even if we sell Fonte this month that won’t have changed as Fonte is no longer a top player - he is rubbish now!! Yes he's been our captain for 4 years and yes he just won the European championship and yes he’s made nearly 300 appearances and been consistent throughout. Yes he was (Team and Fan) player of the season 14/15 and top 5 last season...... yes, yes, yes

But he is rubbish now and Yoshida is better, so we should take the 6-9 million that those fools give us and run for the hills mwahahahahaha (evil laugh)

I think it's a good deal for both parties. They get a decent CB for a season despite his ability deteriorating, and lets face it, £10m is bugger all these days.

We get a decent chunk and a decent profit from the deal, and Fonte's best years, and are able to re-invest - this being the key part of it.

Can we get by to the end of the season? I don't think we can, hence why the club has been trying to get Sakho on loan. We'd be buggered and risking relegation if VVD was to get injured, even for a few months. I don't think it's a great time to buy a CB as teams unlikely to want to sell them, so a short term replacement untilt he summer would seem like the best move.

My bigger concern is what this means for the club in the bigger picture. The club captain wanting out, who else wants out? Why does he want out? Problems with the manager setup, continual selling of players?

Lets face it he was likely to be replaced this summer anyway....

For what it's worth The Times said that he was not happy with the way the club rejected interest from Man Utd and Everton last summer.

We don’t sell TOP players or managers in January - we normally do that in May, June and July

Even if we sell Fonte this month that won’t have changed as Fonte is no longer a top player - he is rubbish now!! Yes he's been our captain for 4 years and yes he just won the European championship and yes he’s made nearly 300 appearances and been consistent throughout. Yes he was (Team and Fan) player of the season 14/15 and top 5 last season...... yes, yes, yes

But he is rubbish now and Yoshida is better, so we should take the 6-9 million that those fools give us and run for the hills mwahahahahaha (evil laugh)

#transparent

For what it's worth The Times said that he was not happy with the way the club rejected interest from Man Utd and Everton last summer.

Which is logical. However, we were never going to let him go that late in the window. Fair play for keeping him for another 6 months if we weren't ready to sell. Problem comes if we do not replace him.

9.1/10

Don't forget its mandatory to cite the upper range of any transfer fee, except of course when we're buying. Only saints do good deals; the rest of the football world are suckers.

Edited by shurlock

Found it " instantly replace" is the the phrase used. So hopefully before The Arsenal match.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/15005184.Fonte_asks_to_leave_Saints/

Thanks. Put like that it does seem like we must have an incoming transfer, and we usually do this kind of thing very well.

That said, it wouldn't surprise me that much if the message changed to 'We have Yoshida to come into the team and Jack Stephens is a great young player who can back up the first choice CBs.' Let's wait and see.

Thanks. Put like that it does seem like we must have an incoming transfer, and we usually do this kind of thing very well.

That said, it wouldn't surprise me that much if the message changed to 'We have Yoshida to come into the team and Jack Stephens is a great young player who can back up the first choice CBs.' Let's wait and see.

But further down in the text it seems that Reed (I presume) actually said that we need to be in a position to replace him and that any last day exit would be ruled out.

Anyway his replacement is probably Gardos on the bench and Maya becomes first choice CB.

Spot on .....

Surely they wouldn't let him go unless a younger quality replacement is ready to sign. Les said as much, but again tend to take his comments with a pinch of salt these days.

If they do not bring someone of that profile in, I would have to say for the 1st time ever under Liebherr ownership, that the writing is on the wall.

Another master stroke was not to play him in the Europa Cup so he wasnt cup tied for the teams still in the competition.......oh that ended well out of the Europa. I believe had he played we would have got through

Do people really think this was the reason he didn't play? He's ended up at West Ham. Perhaps the club thought 'why let this guy who doesn't want to be here, play in our biggest games, when we've got someone giving their all for the club who with a good run of games could be ready to be his replacement when he goes in January'?

Another master stroke was not to play him in the Europa Cup so he wasnt cup tied for the teams still in the competition.......oh that ended well out of the Europa. I believe had he played we would have got through

Everything about our European campaign was just odd. Puel's tactics were baffling and the lack of passion and commitment from the entire squad was frankly insulting to those who made the trip for the away games. That was a golden opportunity to make club history and instead if fighting tooth and nail we bowed out with a whimper. Would we have played better with Jose in the squad? I'm not so sure.

Do people really think this was the reason he didn't play? He's ended up at West Ham. Perhaps the club thought 'why let this guy who doesn't want to be here, play in our biggest games, when we've got someone giving their all for the club who with a good run of games could be ready to be his replacement when he goes in January'?
you play your best players/team if you want to progress, they were big games for the club and perhaps he may just have made the difference with his leadership in one of the games to get the right result