Fonte Joins West Ham - £8m Official

Saints foreva

He's Portuguese mate. If you played in Portugal for a while would you see it as an eternal home? At the end of the day it's a career. It's like any other job. If he doesn't feel loved anymore, and feels like he's been messed about, then we have to accept he will want out

I don't hold it against him for wanting but he has been a p1ss poor captain in attitude this season. Won't stop the gushing and fawning. And oooh the banner. I am actually quite indifferent.

Gutted. Clearly out his heart and soul into the club while he has been here, always led from the front and stepped up when required.

I don't care why he is dong it, this is a massive loss for the club. ESPECIALLY when we are halfway through the season with in incompetent manager.

Massive loss, our defensive solidity (in the main) is the only positive thing about our play at the moment. As it stands (assuming Fonte doesn't play again), we are an injury to Van Dijk away from playing Yoshida and Stephens in a Prem game. Still, at least Jose will be nice and fresh for his new club having hardly played.

If we get about £6m for fonte then that will be invested in a young up and coming international that will want to be here. Fonte is not irreplacable, actually very easily replaceable.

Replaceable for £6m in today's market? I highly doubt it. Even Gardos cost £6m two summers ago. We will need to shell out £10-15m at least on an upgrade over Yoshida. I can't see us doing it in January.

There will be a lot of posts like this, so let's nip the narrative at the bud, shall we?

Jose Fonte has been an absolute giant for us, one of our best players and a symbol of our progression. To step down from the Championship to League One and end up as a Euro 2016 winner and one of the best defenders in the Premier League, all at this club and in the space of seven years, is remarkable.

For the good of the team it looks like now is the time for him to go, but he deserves our respect and a great sendoff. Now, how about that replacement?

I'm in complete agreement with the above. Sorry to see him go and thank him.

Slightly disappointing, but no surprise at all. If decent bid maybe best for both sides.

Been a great servant and great player for us, however this should allow us to get a younger replacement.

Only interesting thing really is LR saying extention + raise and Fonte saying just raise. Hmmm.....

It's been pretty bloody obvious from all the speculation that he's been posturing for a move or a massive wage and contract length increase since the Summer.

From the evidence we have I reckon that Fonte's October 2015 contract had an option to extend by another year and match the club's highest earner which triggered at the end of the season. I think that he stalled on this in the hope that the Euros would boost his profile and either Saints would offer him even more in an entirely new contract OR another club would come and do so.

No offers arrived, the club refused to budge, Fonte stayed quiet for the most part, but did mouth off with that ambiguous social media post to arouse some speculation and keep fans on side. Sure no 'new' contract was offered, but the existing one probably had the aforementioned option triggered which he might not have 'rejected', but he didn't accept. Instead he wanted more money and maybe more years to guarantee future income, or like I said, hoped another club would come in for him.

Edited by SaintSeb

There must be some very embarrassed critics of Puel and Reed out there right now. Two key revelations in this interview, one has been picked up in this thread but the other hasn't. Firstly, as has been highlighted, it's nonsense to say he wasn't offered an extra year. So all of this "show some loyalty to Jose" rubbish has been just that.

Secondly, and crucially, Reed makes it clear that this all happened IN THE SUMMER. It isn't some reaction to the season so far under Puel, Black or anyone else. I stand by my comment in the "if what I heard today" thread elsewhere....people should consider what motives may have led to the dressing room WBA match bust up being dropped out.....

Jose has been great for us, but as a captain it's clear he isn't showing leadership and so reluctantly we should sell him at the highest price.

Great player for us down the years, played a massive part in helping us drive up the leagues and progress. He has also improved immensely.

Shown great leadership and determination. It's a real shame he won't see out his career here. But if he isn't happy we should let him go. Deserves a lot of respect. Unless he has acted unprofessionally.

Replaceable for £6m in today's market? I highly doubt it. Even Gardos cost £6m two summers ago. We will need to shell out £10-15m at least on an upgrade over Yoshida. I can't see us doing it in January.
Yeah we obviously have to put some towards it, be nice to spend a decent amount which I think we will.

Bertrand Next IMO

I see fonte is now being downgraded as a player who can easily be replaced

got to love saints fc

I know it's your intention but you really are a ****ing idiot. A 33 year old CB is replaceable, this is football. If we can replace Toby Alderweireld with an even better CB then we can certainly replace Jose Fonte.

There must be some very embarrassed critics of Puel and Reed out there right now. Two key revelations in this interview, one has been picked up in this thread but the other hasn't. Firstly, as has been highlighted, it's nonsense to say he wasn't offered an extra year. So all of this "show some loyalty to Jose" rubbish has been just that.

Secondly, and crucially, Reed makes it clear that this all happened IN THE SUMMER. It isn't some reaction to the season so far under Puel, Black or anyone else. I stand by my comment in the "if what I heard today" thread elsewhere....people should consider what motives may have led to the dressing room WBA match bust up being dropped out.....

Jose has been great for us, but as a captain it's clear he isn't showing leadership and so reluctantly we should sell him at the highest price.

I'm seeing some morons on Twitter trying to blame Puel for this. They obviously haven't listened to the whole interview, where it's clearly stated that this was going on before Puel even arrived.

If there have been things going on behind the scenes, then perhaps it's a miracle that we're as high in the table as 10th.

I know it's your intention but you really are a ****ing idiot. A 33 year old CB is replaceable, this is football. If we can replace Toby Alderweireld with an even better CB then we can certainly replace Jose Fonte.

I bet you thought redmond was easily replace mane in the summer.

plenty sure did (the9 for example)

It's interesting that the club has released this themselves.

He probably won't leave in January. Les Reed has made it perfectly clear that we won't let him go without us signing an adequate replacement.

The club would have known this was coming for weeks if not months. A plan will be in place and with the timing of the transfer request I expect him to leave this window.

The propoganda war has started.

Jose has been an absolute star in his time with us, and the last two months aside deserves nothing but praise.

However, to turn down the extra year, and an increase in salary to an eye watering level hints at something else. However, since October he has been stirring things behind the scenes, and will in all honesty not be remembered as well as he should have been by Saints fans.

There will be a lot of posts like this, so let's nip the narrative at the bud, shall we?

Jose Fonte has been an absolute giant for us, one of our best players and a symbol of our progression. To step down from the Championship to League One and end up as a Euro 2016 winner and one of the best defenders in the Premier League, all at this club and in the space of seven years, is remarkable.

For the good of the team it looks like now is the time for him to go, but he deserves our respect and a great sendoff. Now, how about that replacement?

if he goes to Liverpool and plays at St Marys again he'll be ahead if Lallana in the queue for abuse from me. f*ck him, got to big for his boots.

Bertrand Next IMO

I see fonte is now being downgraded as a player who can easily be replaced

got to love saints fc

Why can't he be easily replaced? I'm sure we have a load of defenders being eyed up for this possibility, especially as he wanted out as soon as he came back from the Euros. Or do you mean his morale boosts in the changing room, that's doing well by the sounds of it.

Genuine legend, sad as he's last man standing from the league one days. Looking back it may have been better to let him go in the summer when rumours of Utd were about. Perhaps he's stayed half a season too long . Maybe like Rickie , the future will show that the club were right to let him go now. I just hope this isn't turned into a Les/Puel V Jose slugfest, he could have reached the end of the road with our club regardless of who was in charge. Winning the euros and having the agent he does was always going to make a move likely. One last payday, it's a no brainier for him. Let's thank him and give him a great welcome every time he returns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Massively overrated player. He's been a good player and good servant but nowhere near as good as everyone makes him out to be. He makes just as many mistakes as Yoshida. I won't wish him well but won't wish him bad either.

Really? This is unbelievable. Fonte has been with the club for seven years. He joined us when we were in League One. He is the only player still with us who was in the team in that 2009-2010 season, when he joined. He has made over 250 appearances with Saints. He has been a regular on the team sheet, because of his excellent and reliable performances on the pitch. He has served as captain. But you won't wish him well? Really?

I'm seeing some morons on Twitter trying to blame Puel for this. They obviously haven't listened to the whole interview, where it's clearly stated that this was going on before Puel even arrived.

If there have been things going on behind the scenes, then perhaps it's a miracle that we're as high in the table as 10th.

Spot on

Really? This is unbelievable. Fonte has been with the club for seven years. He joined us when we were in League One. He is the only player still with us who was in the team in that 2009-2010 season, when he joined. He has made over 250 appearances with Saints. He has been a regular on the team sheet, because of his excellent and reliable performances on the pitch. He has served as captain. But you won't wish him well? Really?

I disagree with the sentiment of hating Fonte but he really hasn't handled this well at all. He will lose a lot of goodwill for behaving as he has, the same as Lallana did. Rightly or wrongly he will be abused by some sections of the crowd.

Alderweireld?

He was replaced pretty well...

Top quality CBs are difficult to find and it will be tough, but we've done it before and we'll do it again I'm sure.

We haven't had to do it mid season at January prices before. It depends whether the club truly saw this coming in the January window. If they did then we will have a replacement but if they thought Fonte would stay until the summer then they've got a job on their hands to get a deal done for the right player in the next three weeks. It's a very tough ask IMO. If he isn't replaced we are one injury to VVD away from a nightmare scenario.

I bet you thought redmond was easily replace mane in the summer.

plenty sure did (the9 for example)

Not sure anyone thought that.

Boufal was seen as Mane's replacement I believe.

Don't let the facts get in the way of you being smarmy and self-righteous though...

Audio recording of the Les Reed interview: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04ng8fn

No bids for Jose

Had opportunities to sign an improved deal

he has said he wants to explore opportunities for a transfer

he has formally asked to leave the club

This was muted in the summer

but now has formally asked to leave

these are facts on the table

no bids yet

do not know if he will leave

we will not consider releasing him unless the fee was decent and we have a replacement

Jose is aware of all that

Jose has been very professional and will remain captain whilst he is here

conducting himself professionally

he is 33 and wants a bumper deal

he has been a great servant to the club

Will not go into the details of what was offered to jose in the summer

we have not rejected the idea of an additional year as such

mmmm, not sure what to say about this...surprised???....no not in the least, I think everybody had worked out Fonte wanted out months ago and was hoping a big money move would have happened in the summer. Personally i think he was made to look a bit of a **** with his lack of communication with the fans after the Euro's.....it was obvious he hoped for a move then.

He has been brilliant for us, no question. Is this a good time to sell?...hmmm, possibly if the price is right.....personally i hope a Chinese club are in for him because they are paying massively over the odds for players and the amount we would get from China WOULD buy an adequate replacement.

I honestly cannot see a top 6 Premiership side coming in for him and if thats the case why would he leave....which then makes you wonder if there has been some massive player revolt.

Either way it's a sad way for a player like Fonte to leave and i put this on par with Lallana leaving. Another loved by the fans but is now loathed by many for the way he handled himself....surprisingly after another big football tournament!!!

We haven't had to do it mid season at January prices before. It depends whether the club truly saw this coming in the January window. If they did then we will have a replacement but if they thought Fonte would stay until the summer then they've got a job on their hands to get a deal done for the right player in the next three weeks. It's a very tough ask IMO. If he isn't replaced we are one injury to VVD away from a nightmare scenario.

You have to hope the Club have seen this coming for 4 months and irons in fires.

Who says he will go in January?

The news has only come out because Les wants to drum up some interest. Hardly surprising considering he hasn't exactly set the world on fire this season...

Who says he will go in January?

The news has only come out because Les wants to drum up some interest. Hardly surprising considering he hasn't exactly set the world on fire this season...

No, it's come up because Les knows **** is about to hit the fan and he wants some good club PR put out via his favourite journalists.