Fonte Joins West Ham - £8m Official

Saints foreva

What real bad times were they?

Er, really?

It's interesting that the club has released this themselves.

He probably won't leave in January. Les Reed has made it perfectly clear that we won't let him go without us signing an adequate replacement.

They'll want to get the story to the press in front of team Fonte/Mendes so they can help shape it, disclosing the extra year offered etc. Perfectly sensible and absolutely a precursor to a January sale. No way around that for me. If we weren't planning to sell we'd have told the press that he'd handed in a request and we'd rejected it.

Edited by DuncanRG

A few weeks hanging out with Ronaldo and he's become a bit too big for his boots. I hope they are getting the deal done for a replacement ASAP - but knowing Saints it'll be Yoshida with Stephens being groomed to take over :mcinnes:

Or Gardos (does he even still play for us )

So what IS a new conract, if not a pay rise and an extension? I'm honestly curious.

His existing contract may have had a one year extension option, which the Club offered to trigger. The contract is not just about salary and term, but there is likely to be all sorts of other bonuses/add-ons etc etc in it.

I certainly don't sign a new contract every time I get a measly pay rise.

So what IS a new conract, if not a pay rise and an extension? I'm honestly curious.

Exactly as it says on the tin, a totally new contract, completely different from the old one, probably a bit of a fee for signing it as well. I mean, if you get a new car, it's not your old one with a set of go faster stripes and a new M.O.T is it.

I disagree with the sentiment of hating Fonte but he really hasn't handled this well at all. He will lose a lot of goodwill for behaving as he has, the same as Lallana did. Rightly or wrongly he will be abused by some sections of the crowd.

Well, I don't know about you, but I am not privy to anything happening behind the scenes. Neither are most of us fans. It's all speculation and rumour. So, it's hardly fair to make judgments about matters we know virtually nothing about. What I have seen from Fonte in the last seven years, on and off the pitch, has impressed me.

I bet you thought redmond was easily replace mane in the summer.

plenty sure did (the9 for example)

Not at all, I thought Redmond would be a more than capable replacement for Juanmi (which I think I posted at the time, and which he has proved to be)

Just listened to the Reed interview. Unless I'm missing something, it's not crystal clear whether they made the offer of an extra year at the same time as they made the offer of a pay increase. Reed is talking about a new offer 6 months from Fonte signing his existing contract in October 15? That would be April 2016. Maybe need to listen again but it's possible they made the pay increase offer first and the extension was offered later, maybe recently. If so, Fonte wasn't lying but someone is perhaps being economical with the truth.

Yes, just like their attitude to not having adequate firepower. Oh.

That's the one mark on what is otherwise an excellent record in forward planning. Romeu in before Wanyama left, Austin in before Pelle left. Van Dijk getting experience as captain before Fonte leaves, even.

Really? This is unbelievable. Fonte has been with the club for seven years. He joined us when we were in League One. He is the only player still with us who was in the team in that 2009-2010 season, when he joined. He has made over 250 appearances with Saints. He has been a regular on the team sheet, because of his excellent and reliable performances on the pitch. He has served as captain. But you won't wish him well? Really?

He was paid quite handsomely throughout the whole of his time at Saints. If he really does want to leave for even more money, because £70k a week is apparently not enough, I can't say I'd wish him well either.

He's not irreplaceable and has looked no better than Yoshida this season. The timing is unfortunate but we would need to replace him sooner rather than later anyway.

There will be a lot of posts like this, so let's nip the narrative at the bud, shall we?

Jose Fonte has been an absolute giant for us, one of our best players and a symbol of our progression. To step down from the Championship to League One and end up as a Euro 2016 winner and one of the best defenders in the Premier League, all at this club and in the space of seven years, is remarkable.

For the good of the team it looks like now is the time for him to go, but he deserves our respect and a great sendoff. Now, how about that replacement?

Good post Duncan.... totally agree

Who says he will go in January?

The news has only come out because Les wants to drum up some interest. Hardly surprising considering he hasn't exactly set the world on fire this season...

In your opinion...I can't see why the club would risk the negative publicity of releasing this story in order to get a bit more cash (especially at a time where we've lost three on the spin). He's going and we have put it out to control the story and put our own positive PR spin on it. Nothing to do with drumming up interest IMO.

God at least we have an end to this fiasco it's dragged on forever! We now can safely say fonte will be leaving the club, again good player & servant but hasn't shown himself n the best light!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Er, really?

They'll want to get the story to the press in front of team Fonte/Mendes so they can help shape it, disclosing the extra year offered etc. Perfectly sensible and absolutely a precursor to a January sale. No way around that for me. If we weren't planning to sell we'd have told the press that he'd handed in a request and we'd rejected it.

Seriously what bad times? He joined from Championship could see we were on the up in L1. And we have improved every year. What loyalty has he shown?

Even if it ends badly I will still respect Jose for the service he has given to the club. He's been a good player for the club and has helped us through 2 promotions and to become stabilised in the PL. If I could influence events I would prefer that he moves abroad and not to another PL club.

He was paid quite handsomely throughout the whole of his time at Saints. If he really does want to leave for even more money, because £70k a week is apparently not enough, I can't say I'd wish him well either.

He's not irreplaceable and has looked no better than Yoshida this season. The timing is unfortunate but we would need to replace him sooner rather than later anyway.

Perhaps it's not just the money. Some people are happy to stick with the same position, the same employer, throughout their career. You might call that a lack of ambition, or a sign of loyalty. Some people want to move on, after a long period in the same job; they want to experience a new challenge, or work in a new environment. You might that call that a natural thing, or condemn it as a lack of loyalty. People have different feelings and different motives. If they've done a good job and generally behaved decently, they deserve our respect. N'est-ce pas?

Sad that, yet again, we appear to have an acrimonious parting with a key player

Got to wonder what the club promise the players privately to get them to join/stay for a while. Can't help but wonder whether the internal rhetoric of the club is at odds with what's actually being done in practice and is happening on the pitch.

I've always liked Fonte quality CB but his best days are, in all honesty, behind him he wants one last payday on the back of the euros and the club are going to have to replace him in the summer anyway. He wasn't going to be here much longer so for me while I'll be sad see him go I'm not as gutted as was losing good young players with futures like Shaw or Clyne.

I guess his transfer request is simply a come and get me plea for who ever will offer him a final big pay day he feels is worthy of a euro winner.....

Not surprised myself, I just assumed we didn't play him in he Europa League games to keep him free of any illegibility issues

later in the season.

He was on the bench for a couple of games. Even if that doesn't affect your eligibility (anyone?) they'd have left him off and put someone else on the bench who they could use.

And that's ignoring the preposterous idea that we'd drop our captain to please another club!

Seriously what bad times? He joined from Championship could see we were on the up in L1. And we have improved every year. What loyalty has he shown?

It would be useful if we stopped talking about loyalty - unless you're Steven Gerrard or Francesco Totti it doesn't really enter the equation. He deserves respect for dropping down a league and that's that, really.

Edited by DuncanRG

Good luck to him.....absolute bargain for the service we got from him.

I think winning the Euros turned his head.

He's getting on and he's appeared less than average this season.

Shame it's ended this way.

I don't think this will be the end of departures this window.

The downturn has started methinks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not really,

The club offered him a pay rise and a year extension, he chose not to except, his choice

Where is the acrimony ?

Thing is didn't he say on Instagram a couple weeks back that he's been informed he won't be getting offered a new contract?

Just always seems it's the players word against the clubs word pretty much anytime a player has left since Lallana.

Got to wonder what the club promise the players privately to get them to join/stay for a while. Can't help but wonder whether the internal rhetoric of the club is at odds with what's actually being done in practice and is happening on the pitch.

He stayed for seven years the only thing that has changed is he won the euros which seems to have made him a bit of a muppet according to rumours.

He was on the bench for a couple of games. Even if that doesn't affect your eligibility (anyone?) they'd have left him off and put someone else on the bench who they could use.

And that's ignoring the preposterous idea that we'd drop our captain to please another club!

It's not to please another club but to ensure we get maximum money for him and if he was excluded completely for every game there would be more questions asked than being on the bench.

Thing is didn't he say on Instagram a couple weeks back that he's been informed he won't be getting offered a new contract?

Just always seems it's the players word against the clubs word pretty much anytime a player has left since Lallana.

But why should he get a new contract 6 months after he signed one? He was offered more money and an additional year which I think is absolutely fair regardless if it's additional to his current contract or a new one.

Not really,

The club offered him a pay rise and a year extension, he chose not to except, his choice

Where is the acrimony ?

Public argument with Puel on the pitch pre-Bournemouth, coming out in the press to voice his displeasure at being left out....etc..

Don`t know about instagram, don`t bother with it or twitter and the like.

I guess people can believe which side they like, for me he wants to go so lets move on and i`m hopeful he will play to his best while still here.

Edited by ALWAYS_SFC

But why should he get a new contract 6 months after he signed one? He was offered more money and an additional year which I think is absolutely fair regardless if it's additional to his current contract or a new one.

Exactly. Anyone who is siding with Fonte over the club - what exactly were they expecting us to do?

What a shame. I'm pretty sure this was always on the cards the minute he changed to Jorge Mendes.

Hope he goes to China for a £30m fee :)

I'd make VvD captain for 6 months & I'm now half expecting Bertrand & Romeu to go in the summer as well. Happy days!

Public argument with Puel on the pitch pre-Bournemouth, coming out in the press to voice his displeasure at being left out....etc..

Heard about the "chat" or what ever you want to call it but we only speculate as to what was said and believe

what we want, me i don`t care what he or Puel said...

Every player should be annoyed at being left out, be disappointed if they were`nt

The last of the Cortese old guard.

He wanted a 1 year contract extension. Has been desperate to play in europe and denied the chance; and thats been done for two reasons; unsettle him, and make him marketable.

No smoke without fire, not every player is a bad'un, and Fonte has been forced out and is moving for the good of whats left in his career.

He even hands in a transfer request (unlike all the others who throw a wobbly, go on strike and our fans demand they be a man about it) - and still the fans turn on him.

Unreal. How can people not see the wood for the trees on this.

Exactly. Anyone who is siding with Fonte over the club - what exactly were they expecting us to do?

Probably demand the club show some ambition and give him a 5 year deal at 150k week with a clause that guarantees he plays every game and has final say on all the mangers decisions......

The last of the Cortese old guard.

He wanted a 1 year contract extension. Has been desperate to play in europe and denied the chance; and thats been done for two reasons; unsettle him, and make him marketable.

No smoke without fire, not every player is a bad'un, and Fonte has been forced out and is moving for the good of whats left in his career.

He even hands in a transfer request (unlike all the others who throw a wobbly, go on strike and our fans demand they be a man about it) - and still the fans turn on him.

Unreal. How can people not see the wood for the trees on this.

Think it`s you seeing your own trees mate...

He was offered a contact extension hth

Shame, but if he wants the money then fair play to him. He's on the decline and we could do with someone to take his place. Still think Yoshida has been decent enough this season, although would obviously like to see a new player signed (probably Semedo).

If he has handed in a request then there are teams ready to match the wages and signing on fee he wants (to negate the loss of loyalty payments), it's just whether those sides will happily eat the amount we want for him.

Been a great servant for the club, but is quite obviously motivated by money - but we knew this - he dropped down a division to join Saints and get a payrise.

Heard about the "chat" or what ever you want to call it but we only speculate as to what was said and believe

what we want, me i don`t care what he or Puel said...

Every player should be annoyed at being left out, be disappointed if they were`nt

Agreed but probably best not to have it out on the pitch in front of the Sky cameras. I remember the commentators remarking on it at the time.

In many wsys handing in a transfer request is the most respectful thing he could have done to the club and fsns. Respect to him for that. Saves us paying him loyalty fees etc... Can't imagine he would have done it without a move domewhrre already being lined up. Good luck to him.