Fonte Joins West Ham - £8m Official

Saints foreva

The last of the Cortese old guard.

He wanted a 1 year contract extension. Has been desperate to play in europe and denied the chance; and thats been done for two reasons; unsettle him, and make him marketable.

No smoke without fire, not every player is a bad'un, and Fonte has been forced out and is moving for the good of whats left in his career.

He even hands in a transfer request (unlike all the others who throw a wobbly, go on strike and our fans demand they be a man about it) - and still the fans turn on him.

Unreal. How can people not see the wood for the trees on this.

Absolutely. So many lap up the club PR it's unreal.

The last of the Cortese old guard.

He wanted a 1 year contract extension. Has been desperate to play in europe and denied the chance; and thats been done for two reasons; unsettle him, and make him marketable.

No smoke without fire, not every player is a bad'un, and Fonte has been forced out and is moving for the good of whats left in his career.

He even hands in a transfer request (unlike all the others who throw a wobbly, go on strike and our fans demand they be a man about it) - and still the fans turn on him.

Unreal. How can people not see the wood for the trees on this.

Marketable? He is a 33 old CB if we had really wanted to cash in on him Les would have driven up to Manchester at the beginning of the season straight after his euro win.

By current PL standards Fonte I going to be worth chump change at his age.

And the first post on the thread to blame Les and the owner comes as no surprise its the hysterical tart Glasgow....

Why do you reply? Seriously? You know he's a troll. We all do. Me and Glasgow have had our issues, but just take his posts as trolling and don't reply. You are validating him being here by doing this.

Reedo clearly trying to flush out offers given the timing of this when in effect he requested a move months ago.

Hope someone does come in for him soon and we can replace as not a fan of Yoshida having many more minutes than he does now. If Fonte stays he will likely be phased out but without a replacement.

Great signing, great player and until Portugal won the Euros, a great bloke it seemed.

Chinese transfer window runs until the end of Feb too which is alluded to be Reed's comments of wanting an offer now rather than later on when we cannot replace him.

Rather he went there than Everton and they would probably pay the £13m which is vastly overpriced for a player who may decline qiluickly over the next few years.

Sad that, yet again, we appear to have an acrimonious parting with a key player

Got to wonder what the club promise the players privately to get them to join/stay for a while. Can't help but wonder whether the internal rhetoric of the club is at odds with what's actually being done in practice and is happening on the pitch.

A great servant to the club and a true saint. Was as much a part in our recovery as Lallana, Lambert & Kelvin. Seems he wants one final challenge in his career and don´t blame him at all for that.

Hopefully he will play for us again before he leaves and if he does I hope our fans give him the send off he deserves. And if some idiot (sadly we have our fair share) near you starts booing him etc give them both barrels please.

I can't understand why he was allowed to miss all of pre season

Er... he along with Cedric were in the final of the European Championship. The return of all the players was staggered depending on how long they were there.

My only source of rumours is here, so it's a rapidly spinning world of stories that disappear up their own fundament. So I've heard that he's been acting billy-large-cojones in the changing room? Could be. He didn't play in the Europa but perhaps the assumption was that he'd play later on? It's a funny time to ask for a transfer, so one would assume that there's been unofficial interest? What I have seen with my own eyes is him playing below the level I've come to expect: I appreciate he's getting older and slower, and one would have to ask how much is this a factor in both his and the club's actions. China, anyone?

No bids for Jose

Had opportunities to sign an improved deal

he has said he wants to explore opportunities for a transfer

he has formally asked to leave the club

This was muted in the summer

but now has formally asked to leave

these are facts on the table

no bids yet

do not know if he will leave

we will not consider releasing him unless the fee was decent and we have a replacement

Jose is aware of all that

Jose has been very professional and will remain captain whilst he is here

conducting himself professionally

he is 33 and wants a bumper deal

he has been a great servant to the club

Will not go into the details of what was offered to jose in the summer

we have not rejected the idea of an additional year as such

Phrased as you've put it, the idea that we offered an extra year seems a bit more ambiguous.

Les being a politician with the truth?

Edited by shurlock

The club will do well to get £13M but the Chinese will definitely be willing to pay that amount.

If we do get that amount then fair play to Les Reed.

I am convinced he was kept from playing in the UEFA league to ensure that he was not cup-tied and therefore remained more marketable; otherwise surely he would have been brought on at home against Be'er Sheva in place of a midfielder, to throw Van Dijk up front and cover defence with Yoshi? Reckon we would have won then too...Politics above performance.

Interesting bit from Les

"He certainly won’t leave on the basis that he can just go. We would not consider releasing him unless there was a decent transfer fee and secondly that we were in a position to replace him. If anybody comes along on the last day of the transfer window it’s not going to happen.”

Sell him to China, let them pay him the silly salary and us the transfer fee. We must have been looking since the summer for his replacement so hopefully able to move soon on that too.

Job done!

I suppose if we want the biggest fee possible for him, he has the best agent to do that for us.

A great servant to the club and a true saint. Was as much a part in our recovery as Lallana, Lambert & Kelvin. Seems he wants one final challenge in his career and don´t blame him at all for that.

Hopefully he will play for us again before he leaves and if he does I hope our fans give him the send off he deserves. And if some idiot (sadly we have our fair share) near you starts booing him etc give them both barrels please.

not sure it's this, more one last payday.

Feel like his attitude this year has been appalling to the point he has fallen out with a number of senior players. Not acted like a captain at all (this year) and let his ego go to his head.

Hopefully we sell asap and get replacement in.

Sad it's ended this way, thanks for the memories but for me won't be missed and easily replaced.

Bullsh_it. This is just about money. The last big payday of an ageing player, be him a club stalwart or not.

Exactly. It's all about $$$$$$$ not footballing integrity, just as it has been with all the other mercenary footballers with "ambition" that have left us. That's the modern game for you. A bidding war between a couple of Chinese clubs would be ideal.

We offered a pay rise and an extension, not a new contract. Both club and Fonte versions of the truth can be correct.

He wouldn't have put in a transfer request without knowing that someone was going to put a bid in. Whether that bid will be enough for us is another matter. If not he'll just have to knuckle down and get on with it, as he has in fairness up to now.

Considering Reed tends to bullsh1t a lot, I'd go with what Fonte said.

If the rumours of him prancing round the changing room with his Euro medal dangling from his kn*b are true then that's the pic I expect to see on the banner

That would only work with a boner?

If that's true he's got to go. Can't have boner's being swung around in the dressing room.

It's not like Fonte is turning his back on us when we're on the up and making a march for the top six. Will be disappointed if he goes to Everton, but can hardly deny him a chance to move to one of the big clubs IF that proves to be the case. He has been an excellent captain through the years, but I'm not sure he has been one this year. Although his form has been a bit iffy, the main reason I'll be ok with him going is if he is (now) a bad egg in the camp.

Something is amiss here. Fonte is a good player but he isn’t top 6. Other clubs in a similar position to us do not have their club captain putting in a transfer request mid-season. How many players have to ask to leave before we start asking questions why we can’t hold on to players? It can’t all be about money surely?

Something is amiss here. Fonte is a good player but he isn’t top 6. Other clubs in a similar position to us do not have their club captain putting in a transfer request mid-season. How many players have to ask to leave before we start asking questions why we can’t hold on to players? It can’t all be about money surely?

dont be daft, people wont go down that road here. you will be dismissed for such idiocy

after Reed's spin about the Toby situation, Koeman, Poch, Clyne and telling us there was NO bid for Shaw (when clearly there was)

dont forget, he hyped up Black and said we had the best midfield options in the league ffs

does anyone ACTUALLY believe him anymore?

Rooney did it with Man Utd

Arsenal struggling to hold on to Sanchez and Ozil

I predict Leicester in the summer will have a mass exodus on their hands.

It doesn't help when the club peddle all their bull**** about the Champions League before selling anyone of any worth whatsoever.

I'd suggest we are very good at persuading and not so good at delivering.

As poo as this news is for all of us- I don't think we can begrudge the fella a big move if it comes along- he's been absolutely outstanding for us over the years- one of the best centre backs in the premier league recently & in the history of the club. Good luck to him wherever he ends up- bloody legend.

Rooney did it with Man Utd

Arsenal struggling to hold on to Sanchez and Ozil

I predict Leicester in the summer will have a mass exodus on their hands.

So just Rooney in reply to his point then.

Sanchez is very happy according to to Wenger and neither he nor Ozil are Captains.

There must be some very embarrassed critics of Puel and Reed out there right now. Two key revelations in this interview, one has been picked up in this thread but the other hasn't. Firstly, as has been highlighted, it's nonsense to say he wasn't offered an extra year. So all of this "show some loyalty to Jose" rubbish has been just that.

Secondly, and crucially, Reed makes it clear that this all happened IN THE SUMMER. It isn't some reaction to the season so far under Puel, Black or anyone else. I stand by my comment in the "if what I heard today" thread elsewhere....people should consider what motives may have led to the dressing room WBA match bust up being dropped out.....

Jose has been great for us, but as a captain it's clear he isn't showing leadership and so reluctantly we should sell him at the highest price.

Very valid

dont be daft, people wont go down that road here. you will be dismissed for such idiocy

after Reed's spin about the Toby situation, Koeman, Poch, Clyne and telling us there was NO bid for Shaw (when clearly there was)

dont forget, he hyped up Black and said we had the best midfield options in the league ffs

does anyone ACTUALLY believe him anymore?

never did never will

Shame, but we've had his best years. He is in danger of ending up like Lambert - chasing an illusory dream. At least for Lambert it was to his boyhood club.

At least José has an Euro winner's medal to his name.For me he's just trying to cash in on that now rather than chasing any illusory dream.I mean Bentley José obviously has standards right!!