Fonte Joins West Ham - £8m Official

Saints foreva

At least José has an Euro winner's medal to his name.For me he's just trying to cash in on that now rather than chasing any illusory dream.I mean Bentley José obviously has standards right!!

Maybe he is just trying to cash in on the medal. Thats more understandable / realistic than thinking he is a European Champion player so can command a place in the team at one of the top top clubs in Europe - which is my suspicion.

Meh, footballer earns lots of cash, now thinks he can earn more and wants to move, such is life, not captain anymore

Yeah that's the thing for me. Don't like Reed saying Fonte is still captain as long as he stays professional. How a club of our stature can say we're happy with a player who has handed in a transfer request remains captain is beyond me. VVD as Captain and be done with it.

As for the overall Fonte thing, it's a shame because of what he symbolises about our journey. In isolation his performances this season have not been great. But who does he think he will earn a move to if no-one has even bid for him yet? He must surely have something lined up?

I would be sad to see him go but wouldn't argue with any deal in the £8-10m region.

Something is amiss here. Fonte is a good player but he isn’t top 6. Other clubs in a similar position to us do not have their club captain putting in a transfer request mid-season. How many players have to ask to leave before we start asking questions why we can’t hold on to players? It can’t all be about money surely?

Are we the only club players leave? I'm sure players leave saints for all sorts of reason (but I'm betting money is high on the agenda) but players leave lots of other clubs to. I'm saints fan I support the club not the players I was here long before Mr Fonte and will be (god willing) here long after he is a half forgotten memory. If player doesn't want to be at the club (what ever the reason) why would I want him at the club? let them go and get someone who does want to be here.

attachment.php?attachmentid=2287&stc=1

We sit up in the Itchen in the area when the comps are situated, which means we are often graced with the presence of various friends, family, hangers on and freeloaders LOL. Fair to say that for last couple of games a couple of different sources have suggested that Fonte has not been acting in a manner befitting his role as captain.

Whilst I think Puel has a lot to answer for and think his rotation policy and tactics have been frecking awful, I'm also critical of players playing Bertie big balls.

People saying it's the clubs fault not giving Fonte his chance at Europe. Given the club saying that they agreed with him to let him go before the season began its likely he didn't want to be cup tied. Pretty sure that the decision would have been mmutual if Fonte was holding out for that CL move.

Adam Blackmore replying to someone on twitter RE Les Reed: 'to be fair, he gets criticised for not speaking when things are happening & spin when he does - take your choice'

You've managed to do both in one go.

Reading Blackmore's feed I was surprised how he seems to have completely taken everything as said by Reed as gospel. We all know how the propaganda machine works- on both sides - with each party wanting to present themselves in the best possible light for the ensuing move.

Can't believe some of the comments on here. Fonte is the captain, he deserves that accolade. He has been massive for us for so long. He may have not lived up to his past performances this year thus far but he is still our second best CB without any shadow of a doubt. In regards to actual defensive stats he is nearly on par with vvd this year. None of us know the ins and outs of what is going on but how many times have we seen this from Reed? Lallana, Alderweild, Clyne and of course Koeman and Pochetino.

The way the club have treated him this year regardless of money has been awful. No Europe games etc. As for the cup tied thing he was on the bench for some of the games so that isn't right...

The whole Money thing doesn't seem true either. He declined a bigger contract and an extension. There is more to it than that imo.

Of course the club should not bend over everytime someone wants something as that is recipe for disaster. But of all the people at the club deserving of anything it is Fonte. These kind of things seem to happen to us a fair bit and you have to ask yourself why. If you believe everything Les says than you are obviously going to be angry at the player. Me myself I don't believe what he says simply because a lot of what he has said has turned out to be complete bull****. As others have said he is the king of spin.

Understand where you are coming from but Toby and Virgil are the best CB's to of played for us in the last 5yrs.

Jose was very good but was always prone to an error every now and again but was the leading CB when he wasnt partnered with Toby or Virgil

Toby & Virgil are probably the 2 best I've ever seen play for us.

Can't believe some of the comments on here. Fonte is the captain, he deserves that accolade. He has been massive for us for so long. He may have not lived up to his past performances this year thus far but he is still our second best CB without any shadow of a doubt. In regards to actual defensive stats he is nearly on par with vvd this year. None of us know the ins and outs of what is going on but how many times have we seen this from Reed? Lallana, Alderweild, Clyne and of course Koeman and Pochetino.

The way the club have treated him this year regardless of money has been awful. No Europe games etc. As for the cup tied thing he was on the bench for some of the games so that isn't right...

The whole Money thing doesn't seem true either. He declined a bigger contract and an extension. There is more to it than that imo.

Of course the club should not bend over everytime someone wants something as that is recipe for disaster. But of all the people at the club deserving of anything it is Fonte. These kind of things seem to happen to us a fair bit and you have to ask yourself why. If you believe everything Les says than you are obviously going to be angry at the player. Me myself I don't believe what he says simply because a lot of what he has said has turned out to be complete bull****. As others have said he is the king of spin.

Close, if it were Yoshida.

Virgil's quite far out in front, then Yoshida, then Fonte.

Fonte's well out in front on Penalties Conceded though.

Club has played this well again. Some/many fans will turn on Jose saying he just wants more money but he's stayed through thick and thin and has been a leader for the club. Didn't he say he wanted to finish his career here? The board want to cash in whilst he has value I reckon, and whilst that might be okay in some respects, it does nothing to add to team spirit or give fans heroes. Sad indictment. He should be here and get his testimonial. Things must be bad for him personally with his relationship with the club for him to want to go.

I am not totally sure Fonte is doing a lot for 'team spirit' whilst here now so that reason for keeping him is a bit of a red herring... Like he needs a testimonial.... these things are so yesterday.....

If Fonte wants a PR war with the club he'll lose it - the club are well drilled in making departing players (and managers) look like to**ers, whether they have been acting like one or not.

Suspect we'll never really know the whole truth or who to believe on this one. Either way, a sad end to his Saints career that has been a fantastic one that symbolized what we have been all about.

I just look at Lambert and how he left, respected and still a bit of a hero, and compare it to this situation. If this was all happening in private and Fonte ended up going to Benfica to finish his career, I think we'd in the main be happy enough for him and wish him well.

As it is, this all leaves a sour taste for me

So if it was done on the down low with two of our best players following him he would be a hero?

Close, if it were Yoshida.

Virgil's quite far out in front, then Yoshida, then Fonte.

Fonte's well out in front on Penalties Conceded though.

From Opta

Fonte - 1.5 tackles per game - 2.1 interceptions a game - 5.8 clearances a game - 0.6 blocks per game - mins played 1539

VVD - 2.1 tackles per game - 2.6 interceptions a game - 6.8 clearances a game - 0.7 blocks per game - mins played 1709

They are very similar. VVD has obviously played more minutes. Either way if we are left with Yoshida and VVD I believe that to be weaker than Fonte and VVD.

From Opta

Fonte - 1.5 tackles per game - 2.1 interceptions a game - 5.8 clearances a game - 0.6 blocks per game - mins played 1539

VVD - 2.1 tackles per game - 2.6 interceptions a game - 6.8 clearances a game - 0.7 blocks per game - mins played 1709

They are very similar. VVD has obviously played more minutes. Either way if we are left with Yoshida and VVD I believe that to be weaker than Fonte and VVD.

But why's that the choice? Les has said he won't be sold unless we bring someone else in.

From Opta

Could you repost this with the stats for Yoshida and then we could have a true comparison?

Yoshida gets better with more game time - he will not be as good as Fonte though.

Ch$$$na has to be the reason - Mendes wants his cut. Jose has been told to do a Pelle.

For balance - don't forget, a lot of us wouldn't have been sorry to have seen him go to Cardiff (provided we could have kept Lovern). Thankfully he stayed.

In the same way VVD signed for a Dutch manager, Puel may have given the nod on a French replacement the Black Box recommends.

Why does our club always have the players who strop? Common denominator somewhere...

For s club that vets the players backgrounds, we don't half have some issues don't we?

The common denominator is interest from big clubs. And we haven't had strops on the scale of Berahino, Balotelli or Grabban.

Any examples of things Reed has said which turn out to be wrong, rather than just paint a positive picture, as you might expect? There may be some but I can't think of any. There were some comments about Koeman seeing out his contract, but we all know the man himself said the same then went back on his word.

We have no idea what Fonte wanted from Saints - in fact he might just have wanted to leave, full stop. I won't rush to judge him or the club.

From Opta

That's a very big gulp.

You're also missing the Europa League where Van Dijk and Yoshida were both consistently performing. Fewer stats though, as there was obviously less defending against every team parking the bus. Yoshida actually beats van Dijk on the stats you quoted in the Europa League. Of course not entertaining that this means Yoshida was better than van Dijk in Europe.

Hard to compare in the Premier League where Fonte played many more games (meaning he's been there for more losses), but Yoshida still just beats him on average with many more Interceptions (per game?) and being pretty much neck and neck on the others.

WhoScored (stats based performance ratings) for the Season (in the Prem) have VvD on 7.45, Yoshida on 6.92 and Fonte on 6.81. Then in the Europa, van Dijk is 7.59 and Yoshida is 7.20.

I personally will cut him some slack. He and VVD who is exceptional are amongst the best pair of centre backs in the league. Fonte has lapses especially with his delays in passing and then dropping somebody in it. Yoshida is worse and is always only a slip away from a goal. Swansea made a mistake letting Williams go, look where they are. Lots of teams have paid enormous sums for failures and bench players at centre back. We have Gardos and Yoshida that really aren't good enough to be the regular centre backs albeit internationals. Yoshida and Fonte aren't a good pair but Yoshida gets by playing with VVD but not with Fonte.

There is a massive upheaval in the pipeline by just reading the signs. We need our best players to stabilize the situation. There is no guarantee any player we bring in, probably from abroad will be a total replacement immediately. I don't think we should entertain letting anybody leave in January even if we bring in a replacement. We need to bring in a goal scorer for midfield and a striker, strengthen not weaken.

From Opta

They are not similar. In a game of narrow margins, VVD is way out ahead:

VVD - 40% more tackles per game - 24% more interceptions - 17% more clearances - 17% more blocks - 11% more mins played

In terms of our "losing a Captain" in reality VVD has been the captain on the field most of this year if you look at what has actually been going on.

Sad to see him go though. His goal against Brighton at the end of our championship year and his reaction ....the greatest moment!

The latest rumour is that someone very high up at our club is shall we say being economical with the truth yet again about a player he wants to sell in an attempt to push him out and that in reality Fonte has not handed in a transfer request at all.

Well if he hasn't he will say so on Instagram tonight.