Fonte Joins West Ham - £8m Official

Saints foreva

Le Tissier isn't wrong, this is from a senior Director....

Jose has been a nightmare and the club have had enough. Undermining the manager, not training well, wants to be on £100k a week because he feels he is the best player.

Wrote a formal letter to the board stating the midfield is not good enough. Getting others like Bertrand to undermine. The club feel he has influenced poor performances because of his attitude and negativity, some other players are complaining about him.

Jose has been a nightmare and the club have had enough. Undermining the manager, not training well, wants to be on £100k a week because he feels he is the best player.

Wrote a formal letter to the board stating the midfield is not good enough. Getting others like Bertrand to undermine. The club feel he has influenced poor performances because of his attitude and negativity, some other players are complaining about him.

Fonte wants a successful team here and is fed up with the club's transfer dealings. He's right. The midfield isn't good enough.

Tbf id complain too, club went backwards this summer and Fonte spent the summer with winners....

Saints are here just now to make up the numbers and make Les and Kat rich it seems

Fonte wants a successful team here and is fed up with the club's transfer dealings. He's right. The midfield isn't good enough.

Yep and he's probably right, but as MLT has stated, he is being disruptive and apparently a new level of arrogance surrounds him since the Euros.

Not wrong about the midfield, lack of goals or the team selection. I don't think Fonte needs to undermine the manager, Puel is doing a pretty good job with his tactics. The scary thing in the second half of the season everybody knows our limitations and we may well pay a heavy price for our limitations and tactics. If Fonte is having a go about it he's spot on. We need a big change PDQ.

Had a great career with us and if he wants to move on so be it, I just get the feeling him and the club are now moving in different directions. The club seems to have no issue with moving on our more 'senior' players - I always thought we were happy to let the likes of Lambert and Pelle leave due to age rather than selling for profit or need - and though i'm sure they weren't looking to move Fonte on just yet the fact that the two sides couldn't agree on a new contract (potentially because it didn't match what Jose thought he was worth after his summer exploits and his position and previous tenure with the club) meant this was always a likely outcome.

Personally I thank him for all he has given us and wish him the best wherever he goes next (assuming he goes of course). Important thing is to get a replacement in ASAP though our recent record of finding centre backs has been bloody excellent if you ask me. Reckon we might get to see more of Stephens in the short term as well.

Reading Blackmore's feed I was surprised how he seems to have completely taken everything as said by Reed as gospel. We all know how the propaganda machine works- on both sides - with each party wanting to present themselves in the best possible light for the ensuing move.

As most are aware Blackmore is the Saints commentator for BBC Solent, and crucially this feed is also used when listening to the game through the Official Saints website. I'd imagine it would put him in an awkward position or worse if he were to criticise the club or fuel speculation regarding staff matters..

And he would be absolutely right. I hope the slipper did raise concerns officially

Good post Duncan.... totally agree

Yes, agreed - he deserves our thanks not our abuse. Money is not a motivator - especially when these guys have it overflowing out of their bank accounts. They leave because they either don't feel valued (highly probable given the ruthless nature of football and at 33 you're on the way down) i.e. he wasn't given the contract extension he thought he deserved in the summer post Euros (again, probably true...it's not the money but the time extension and captaincy guarantee he'd have been looking for then that my guess wasn't forthcoming then). Or they leave for personal reasons (wife wants to go back to Portugal) or to fulfil a bigger ambition (last chance to play at a big named club like ManUre).

Remember the club spin the publicity wheel all the time...most players do it once every three or four years. I suspect his new agent hasn't helped - the agents interest is to get a turn on a deal, not to keep him put.

Fonte has been good for the club and the club has been good for Fonte for seven years. Shame if that gets lost in a spat at the end.

All I want to know is WHY he wants to go.

Money money money he is looking for £100k+ a week plus a signing on fee etc home and importantly his agent will massively top up there retirement pots remember Jose hasn't had a 10 year top flight career so while obviously he is loaded in footballer terms he could have more. Fair play to the lad he is taking care of himself and his family at an age when he could be finished in 12 months.

As most are aware Blackmore is the Saints commentator for BBC Solent, and crucially this feed is also used when listening to the game through the Official Saints website. I'd imagine it would put him in an awkward position or worse if he were to criticise the club or fuel speculation regarding staff matters..

Not expecting him to criticise. He could have just published the information from SFC / Reed but he's done more than that he's actually endorsed it fairly significantly with additional comment.

Tbf id complain too, club went backwards this summer and Fonte spent the summer with winners....

Saints are here just now to make up the numbers and make Les and Kat rich it seems

Always been here to make up the numbers. However much you wish it otherwise we always wil be. Go and support someone else if you can't live with that. Hear there's a couple of good teams in Glasgow, go and give them a watch.

Have you ever listened to the commentary? This isn't a ManUTV style in-house deal, the team, tactics and players all get criticised if warranted.

On average he has around 11 posts a day... not that much really when you think about it.

Yeah, but at an average of 10 seconds a post that's at least 0.14% of my life frittered away on this pesky forum. Takes over ones life, so it does.

Perhaps it would make my life easier if I started posting stock photos every time I visit a hotel. Think of all that time and effort I would save versus just posting my own photos

Edited by trousers

This effort is just making up the numbers. 0.2/10

Money can only be a huge factor for him. I'm not particularly inclined to criticize a long-term Saints player for seeking a last significant pay day before retirement. It's not as if he has spent his whole career in the top tier earning top tier money, he's spent a fair amount of time in the Championship and L1. I know that professionals make ridiculous amounts of money but he has every right to seek the best deal possible.

Not sure how to play this, I support a football club therefore I'm emotional attached and hence reactive to news that is negative.

Having said that I have never considered Jose to be this deity that a lot of you think he is, he's been ok, ****ed up a lot (van Persie goal) and has felt like a captain by default as all the better players have left before him. The real facts are we offered him a raise to 80k and another year extension on his contract but he wanted 2. No one gives a 33yr old a big contract like that, terry was happy to be a year on year and So was lampard, apparently Jose thought performance related contracts were not valid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't believe this at all. If he were undermining the manager or training badly, he wouldn't be getting picked, and if he'd written to the board complaining about the midfield he'd have been (rightly) disciplined.

Yes, agreed - he deserves our thanks not our abuse. Money is not a motivator - especially when these guys have it overflowing out of their bank accounts.

This is incredibly naive if you're talking about footballers generally. Even if you're limiting the point to Fonte I wouldn't rule out money as a big factor. But that doesn't mean he deserves our abuse, of course.

Not sure how to play this, I support a football club therefore I'm emotional attached and hence reactive to news that is negative.

Having said that I have never considered Jose to be this deity that a lot of you think he is, he's been ok, ****ed up a lot (van Persie goal) and has felt like a captain by default as all the better players have left before him. The real facts are we offered him a raise to 80k and another year extension on his contract but he wanted 2. No one gives a 33yr old a big contract like that, terry was happy to be a year on year and So was lampard, apparently Jose thought performance related contracts were not valid

I'd suggest that if you have to dig out a goal from two years ago to prove your point, your point's not very good. How many mistakes in his 250 appearances? Not many.

Not sure where you've got your 'real facts' from either, do share!

Edited by DuncanRG

I suppose something to consider if/when he goes is not just the fee we receive (Which is not likely to be all that much - if someone's handed in a request because they don't want to be here it seems unlikely anything above about 8mill will be refused) but the wages it would free up? Surely he's one of our highest paid players? That means we've got it in the bank to line up either a very high quality replacement, or a number of players, without significant takings from the savings account.

I suppose something to consider if/when he goes is not just the fee we receive (Which is not likely to be all that much - if someone's handed in a request because they don't want to be here it seems unlikely anything above about 8mill will be refused) but the wages it would free up? Surely he's one of our highest paid players? That means we've got it in the bank to line up either a very high quality replacement, or a number of players, without significant takings from the savings account.

They talked about it on Five Live earlier and I think Danny Mills said "he won't go for much money, he'll be cheap like £15m" and everyone else nodded in agreement. I just laughed at the radio....fifteen????

They didn’t hear me.

The transfer request was in august

That's how I interpreted the Telegraph article on page 4 of this thread.

Quite incredible if so that we have gone all season with him as Captain. Completely undermines Puel. Couldn't imagine Ferguson having put up with that as a manager

Possibly wants to win a club trophy before he retires

Got a nice taste of winning with Portugal in the summer and probably really enjoyed it

That and a nice payrise I guess.

Well if he and the rest of our team weren't playing so **** we'd have a decent chance and getting into a final in the next couple of weeks

Really, when you get down to it footballers are little boys pretending to men:

Undermining the manager.

Getting Bertrand to do the same.

Player denies contract is on the table, club says the opposite etc etc. Only thing I can recall on the record is stating VvD is the better player (which he clearly is.)

Where's this MLT evidence or is it something he's said to someone off the record?

I don't think Jose is going anywhere in the prem for big money. I always thought he struggled for a while upon promotion though to be fair he didn't have a great partner.

I can see Everton or some other mid table ****e but I'd be surprised if he goes to proper big club. After all, they can spend anything they like.

Also this bother me: How come Toby, that C Lovren etc got snaffled up so quickly and Jose didn't? Is it because he was doing the quiet stuff and going unnoticed or is it that Virgil, Toby etc actually do a lot of the hard stuff? I don't know.

We don't need a player who has burnt their bridges but until we hit 40 points this year I'm going to be nervous. Bad timing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The transfer request was in august

It looks like he wanted to leave in August, but the funny, redundant bit of paper known as a transfer request probably did come in recently. The club may have asked for it so they could say it had been made, as has been done with previous players. It doesn't really mean anything.

Also this bother me: How come Toby, that C Lovren etc got snaffled up so quickly and Jose didn't? Is it because he was doing the quiet stuff and going unnoticed or is it that Virgil, Toby etc actually do a lot of the hard stuff? I don't know.

It's not really possible for one centre half in a pair to do 'the hard stuff'. If the attacker's on your side, you deal with it. Fonte has been about as good as his partners for the past three years, give or take. Alderweireld went easiest because he wasn't our player and buying from Atletico is cheaper than buying from a Premier League team. I'd suggest Liverpool threw cash at Lovren because he was younger, arguably better in that season and perhaps more dispensable for us than Fonte a long-serving player who would shortly become captain. And because Lovren wanted to leave, of course.

Edited by DuncanRG

He was on the bench in Milan - He is cup tied

Assuming being on the bench as an unused sub counts as being 'fielded, he is not cup-tied for the Champions League;

http://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/Regulations/uefaorg/Regulations/02/35/87/89/2358789_DOWNLOAD.pdf

( see article 44 )

If he was not 'fielded', as he stayed on the bench, then he is also eligible for the Europa League knock-out stages.

( Unless I am reading the UEFA regs completely wrong ).

Edited by badgerx16

people really saying Yoshida is better than fonte?

is this really happening?

Yoshida has been at least as good as Fonte this season. Sad to see Fonte end his time at SFC like this and while I don't believe every aspect of Reed's spin, Jose has taken some gloss off his Saints legacy in recent times.