Fonte Joins West Ham - £8m Official

Saints foreva

Official then. As much a sideways move as he could possibly have hoped for.

https://southamptonfc.com/news/2017-01-20/jose-fonte-southampton-west-ham-united-transfer-announcement

Southampton Football Club can confirm that José Fonte has joined West Ham United for an undisclosed fee.

The 33-year-old defender today completed a move to London Stadium, following seven years at St Mary’s.

During his time at the club, Fonte made 288 appearances and scored 15 goals, and became a senior international with Portugal.

Southampton Football Club would like to thank José for his service and for his contribution to all the club's achievements in his time here. We would also like to wish him well for the future.

Edited by Red Alert

onte said: “I signed for West Ham because they are a great club and a very big club. They have a lot of fans and I have known for a number of years how passionate they are.

“The manager was also a very big influence. I thought that he really wanted me and that he sold me the project and the ambition of the Club.

“I also have part of my family living in London and they are big West Ham fans. It just made sense for me at this stage to join West Ham. It is a new challenge and a new beginning and I am looking forward to it.

“With the way that West Ham is going we can only look to be challenging in the top eight.

“I told the manager in conversations that we want to win and we want to win trophies. The ambition is big and we need to aim high.

“West Ham are a massive club and it is an exciting challenge and it should be for everyone. We all need to get together and start working.

onte said: “I signed for West Ham because they are a great club and a very big club. They have a lot of fans and I have known for a number of years how passionate they are.

“The manager was also a very big influence. I thought that he really wanted me and that he sold me the project and the ambition of the Club.

“I also have part of my family living in London and they are big West Ham fans. It just made sense for me at this stage to join West Ham. It is a new challenge and a new beginning and I am looking forward to it.

“With the way that West Ham is going we can only look to be challenging in the top eight.

“I told the manager in conversations that we want to win and we want to win trophies. The ambition is big and we need to aim high.

“West Ham are a massive club and it is an exciting challenge and it should be for everyone. We all need to get together and start working.

I know you're supposed to take this with a pinch of salt anyway, but there's never been a clearer load of fan-pleasing b*llocks spouted than this time round.

Sounds like he already had his script written for his Man United move and just scribbled out their name and put in West Ham instead

Seriously ? :lol:

We really are a laughing stock- Selling club

I think you'll fine the majority of neutral fans will be laughing at Fonte here.

Our captain handed in a transfer request to go to West ham

Not Liverpool, Chelsea or united

But West ham

Let that sink in for a mo

No he didn't you massive f*cking agenda ridden bellend, he clearly wanted to go somewhere bigger but had to settle once he realised nothing was forthcoming.

He was coming to the end of his shelf life with us but, I feel, deserves massive respect for what he did for us. All good things come to an end & it's a bit of shame that his time end didn't end perfectly but we go on & hopefully that replacement Lies Reed said we'd have before we let him go, is still around the corner.

Our captain handed in a transfer request to go to West ham

Not Liverpool, Chelsea or united

But West ham

Let that sink in for a mo

No he didn't. He handed in a transfer request, post Euros, expecting a 'big' European club to come in for him. He got backed into a corner when no offer came, and Saints decided to let him go. West Ham, or possibly West Brom, were the only escape route open to him.

No he didn't. He handed in a transfer request, post Euros, expecting a 'big' European club to come in for him. He got backed into a corner when no offer came, and Saints decided to let him go. West Ham, or possibly West Brom, were the only escape route open to him.

Source?

£8mm for a 33 year old going backwards .... Good business I say.

He wasn't going backwards. Typical helmet revisionism/sour grapes that is a hallmark of this place. He didn't have a preseason, so needed time to get up to speed (Cedric was worse for exactly the same reason). But on the whole I didn't notice any real drop off in his play.

Fonte was absolutely class for us over the years but feels a bit like when Lambert left, he's on the decline and he's served as well. Just a shame it was West Ham he ended up. Let's hope we can find another top quality CB, we've been lucky over the years with Toby, VVD and Lovren all coming in and hitting the ground running.

Feel a little sad for him really, for 99 percent of his time here he has been class, if not on the field - always in attitude. I think he has backed himself into a corner and has now ended up taking a bit of a sideways step. Still if he's gone for the bucks I wish him well, we had his best years and while he was good for us, the club were good for him. Good luck Jose.