Fonte Joins West Ham - £8m Official

Saints foreva

Having watched two interviews now, I think most people watching would probably think "what's the issue"? The "acrimonious" transfer (was it?) isn't really discussed//mentioned and there is nothing that really gives any sense of what injustice was done (I didn't hand in a transfer request is about the sum total of any controversy). The follow up on the BBC interview focused very much on the crux of the matter, namely that Ronaldo is a great player and that Fonte does all he can to give him the platform to play. The pundits really had no interest in Fonte, West Ham or Southampton, only what he said about Ronaldo.

So he repeated the 'no transfer request' on football focus, but he clearly wanted to leave be it for family reasons or financial. I think most fans dont really care about his departure now and just feel sad he didnt finish his career here and do coaching etc

Sell him at exactly the right time - pure genius. How Wet Spam couldn't see he is now crap is beyond me..... usual Hammers trick buying spent players for over the odds.... Strange strategy...

they're buying proven prem players which is what a lot of people shout for us to do. Unfortunately for them everyone wants proven prem so they get the left overs.

8mil? Ty v much....

£8 million for a flawed, past-it 33 year old that gave his best years for us, has to be one of the best bits of transfer business we've performed in the last few years when it comes to selling players.

£8 million for a flawed, past-it 33 year old that gave his best years for us, has to be one of the best bits of transfer business we've performed in the last few years when it comes to selling players.

Just the replacing bit fell a bit short

I find it very sad that such a Saints legend is being ridiculed by our supporters. I also think it every bit as sad that he opted to push for a move. Once again naively I thought he was different and loved Saints enough to stay. Should the club have been so hard nosed? They probably didn't like they way he manoeuvred the situation in the summer with his agent. Otherwise they might have said here is the generous deal and we would like you to stay on and get involved in the coaching at the end of his career.

He played v.well against us. Not seen him in any other games.

Think Lovren and Lallana were also labelled as definitly rubbish when they they left too.

Part of the grieving process some go through i guess.

Whereas for you, every player that leaves, all of a sudden is infinitely better than what they were when they were here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I find it very sad that such a Saints legend is being ridiculed by our supporters. I also think it every bit as sad that he opted to push for a move. Once again naively I thought he was different and loved Saints enough to stay. Should the club have been so hard nosed? They probably didn't like they way he manoeuvred the situation in the summer with his agent. Otherwise they might have said here is the generous deal and we would like you to stay on and get involved in the coaching at the end of his career.

I have to agree with you on this one. He was a favourite and our Captain. He was naieve to say the least and especially at his age probably wrongly informed.

Likewise, but I kinda understand it. When Lallana and Lovren moved, I was as angry as the next person. Not so much with any of the others (although seeing Morgan at Everton pains me). Wasn't totally convinced with Fonte this season, and for purely football reasons wasn't against him moving on - the problem was always what was behind him. Not so much Yoshi, but the depth of CB quality beyond that should VvD or Yoshi get injured (which we are now seeing).

Having said that, do think it a shame that such an integral part of our rise has seemingly fallen out with the club. Whilst on the surface, it looks like Jose has wanted this since the summer (why not take the pay rise?), it does seem a bit weird why we couldn't have found some common ground if he really did want to stay. Not playing a single Europa game must have hurt him.

Wish him well. I'll never boo him.

Don't think folks are ridiculing him, just now he has found what he thinks is dirty washing he has decided to wash it in public, and that is going to piddle people off somewhat.

Personally I think he came back from the Euros a bit billy big bollix, thought his stock was higher than it actually was, probably made the wrong noises on the back of his assumed higher status, club thought ok if that's what you want fine we can spend your wages on a younger model.

Without doubt he was a great servant for the club, but you could see he had lost that half a yard this season, and his displays for West Ham so far have justified the clubs decision to let him go.

I find it sad that people think so little qualifies them to be a 'legend'. FFS he was paid well and no real offers for him and he turned up and played. He left when thought he could get a better deal. True legend.

i dont think its ridicule, tbf he looked awful on the highlights on MOTD last night, but aside from that he has been, as Mick Channon so delicately put it, "an idiot".

He was set for life virtually at Southampton, when his time had come to stop playing if he had wanted I'm certain he would have been involved in coaching at some level. As the only survivor along with Kelvin from the Div 1 days the club would have seen him alright with a job whatever he says now about looking after his family etc.

He's ****ed himself up and I think he probably knows it. He protest too much in my opinion and normally when people do that its because they know they have to shoulder some of the blame, if not all.

i dont think its ridicule, tbf he looked awful on the highlights on MOTD last night, but aside from that he has been, as Mick Channon so delicately put it, "an idiot".

He was set for life virtually at Southampton, when his time had come to stop playing if he had wanted I'm certain he would have been involved in coaching at some level. As the only survivor along with Kelvin from the Div 1 days the club would have seen him alright with a job whatever he says now about looking after his family etc.

He's ****ed himself up and I think he probably knows it. He protest too much in my opinion and normally when people do that its because they know they have to shoulder some of the blame, if not all.

I imagine the move to WHU was designed to stop him having to get a coaching job......

I find it sad that people think so little qualifies them to be a 'legend'. FFS he was paid well and no real offers for him and he turned up and played. He left when thought he could get a better deal. True legend.

When Pochettino went to Spurs and we lost all our players; we were a crisis club. Jose Fonte played a large part in keeping the remaining team together. The reason I suspect why Osvaldo lamped him was because it was him that gave him stick for not having the right attitude. He was a talisman and came up through the divisions with us. I think he was verging on becoming a legend.

All this legend business is risible, but if you have to hero worship a football player then so be it. He came to us for money, not love. He stayed with us for money, not love. He left us for money, not love. He is the same as 99% or more of players.

The fans are the only ones loyal to the club. Owners generally own for their own reasons. Marcus didn't buy us out of some long term love of Saints. They come and go. Players are making a living. They come and go. We supporters are the one constant, although it was sad to see so many disappear when we were out of PL. There is the odd player like Franny who are Saints through and through without having his head turned. Steve Bull at Wolves was another.

Edited by angelman

The fans are the only ones loyal to the club. Owners generally own for their own reasons. Marcus didn't buy us out of some long term love of Saints. They come and go. Players are making a living. They come and go. We supporters are the one constant, although it was sad to see so many disappear when we were out of PL. There is the odd player like Franny who are Saints through and through without having his head turned. Steve Bull at Wolves was another.

In Franny's case I don't think it was a case of his head not being turned, it was more a question of no one else wanting him!

Yeah, I suppose. I guess the point I was making was the basic hypocrisy at the heart of every fan at every club (including myself I might add) If a player performs well but maybe is not happy with the club , we still expect him to be loyal. If the fans are not happy with a player then they chuck him in the "Who should we ship out in the summer' thread, irrespective if the player wants to stay or not. The fans obviously stay loyal to the club...but possibly not the player.

Yeah, I suppose. I guess the point I was making was the basic hypocrisy at the heart of every fan at every club (including myself I might add) If a player performs well but maybe is not happy with the club , we still expect him to be loyal. If the fans are not happy with a player then they chuck him in the "Who should we ship out in the summer' thread, irrespective if the player wants to stay or not. The fans obviously stay loyal to the club...but possibly not the player.[/quote

Nail on head. Its okay if we the fans chose to be disloyal to a player and want him out, but it's not okay if a player we want to stay decides he wants to go. In the case of Fonte and Lallana though, neither of them did themselves any favours in the way they left.

I imagine the move to WHU was designed to stop him having to get a coaching job......

I can perfectly well imagine that the nonsensical arrangement of Kelvin Davis being the "Club" captain with Jose Fonte being the "On field" captain really wrankled with Davis and as soon as he (Davis) got his feet under the table on the coaching staff he did everything in his power to ensure that Fonte wouldn't get the chance of following him in and queering up his pitch once again.

I can perfectly well imagine that the nonsensical arrangement of Kelvin Davis being the "Club" captain with Jose Fonte being the "On field" captain really wrankled with Davis and as soon as he (Davis) got his feet under the table on the coaching staff he did everything in his power to ensure that Fonte wouldn't get the chance of following him in and queering up his pitch once again.

Really?

There's drivel and then there's drivel.

You really do chat sh_it.

This is a work of quite some stature.

I would suggest you are the only person capable of imaging something so ridiculous.

Take a bow son!

It's a shame that Jose left under those circumstances and I guess we may never know who really facilitated the move. He did say that when returning from the Euros he had offers and the club may have felt he already had one foot out of the door. The economics may have been right for both sides. £8 Million for a 33 year old is good money for someone past his best. Against Bournemouth yesterday he showed his vulnerabilities. Gave away a penalty and was easily beaten for the first goal. We move on.

He was a great player for us over the years, it is amazing how quick people are to right that off from their memories. None of us know about his behaviour at the club this season. Frankly if he wanted to leave then so what? He has been with us for years, and probably felt he went as far as he could with us. Not every foreign player wants to spend the majority of their career at one club and in one city.

Spent his best years with us, and his final years where he will decline else where. He's gone. Move on.

He was a great player for us over the years, it is amazing how quick people are to right that off from their memories. None of us know about his behaviour at the club this season. Frankly if he wanted to leave then so what? He has been with us for years, and probably felt he went as far as he could with us. Not every foreign player wants to spend the majority of their career at one club and in one city.

Spent his best years with us, and his final years where he will decline else where. He's gone. Move on.

I think we had all moved on. It seems Fonte is the one struggling to move on with his need to keep making public statements about his non transfer request..

My God the blokes an arrogant pr*ck. Good riddance, IMO (and others from within the dressing room).

I suspect the reason he keeps telling everyone how happy he is in London is to try and deflect the disappointment of not getting the move he originally wanted.

My God the blokes an arrogant pr*ck. Good riddance, IMO (and others from within the dressing room).

I suspect the reason he keeps telling everyone how happy he is in London is to try and deflect the disappointment of not getting the move he originally wanted.

Perhaps you should read the article. There's nothing arrogant in it - in fact the opposite. But hey, don't let that get in the way of any agenda now that he's no longer playing for us.