Fonte Joins West Ham - £8m Official

Saints foreva

He went for the bigger money and he's got it, so he's probably happy. It's hard to live on only £60.000 a week, poor fellow.

You're being a bit harsh there. He has at least twenty years he needs to make the pittance that footballers earn last. Blokes practically destitute. I know that he's moved on but after the fantastic service he has given Saints the least we can do is donate the gate income for the rest season. Poor soul.

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

You're being a bit harsh there. He has at least twenty years he needs to make the pittance that footballers earn last. Blokes practically destitute. I know that he's moved on but after the fantastic service he has given Saints the least we can do is donate the gate income for the rest season. Poor soul.

Exactly Fonte has to spend 50 years being retired not like us lucky bastards who get to keep earning in to our late sixties and people think PL footballers have it easy.

• 2 weeks later...
Exactly Fonte has to spend 50 years being retired not like us lucky bastards who get to keep earning in to our late sixties and people think PL footballers have it easy.

I realise that these posts are tongue in cheek (or at least I hope so) but... Let's say he earns an average of $40,000 a week for 10 years. It would take over 400 years for someone earning £50,000 a year to earn that much money. Obviously doesn't take tax into account but still!

I realise that these posts are tongue in cheek (or at least I hope so) but... Let's say he earns an average of $40' date='000 a week for 10 years. It would take over 400 years for someone earning £50,000 a year to earn that much money. Obviously doesn't take tax into account but still![/quote']

Sickening when it's put like that. Makes it all the more disgusting when they act like brats to get more.

You should have been a professional footballer. Somebody gave you some very bad advice when you were a kid. Had you not studied hard to do "something worthwhile" with your life you too could have had an aimless existence kicking a ball around in the park as soon as school was out.

I recently read an article that a very significant % of premier league players go bankrupt within a few years of retiring.

This article is a couple of years old, but suggests the same thing - upto 40%:

http://www.mindthemoney.co.uk/how-do-premier-league-footballers-go-bankrupt/

If I can be bothered I'll search for the one I read this week (which could have been a rehash of the older article). I find it astonishing that so many of them can get through so much cash in such a short time. Presumably their financial advisors have done well out of them.

Has anyone else noticed that all the talk of dressing room unrest against Puel died the second Fonte left...

Don't worry next time we lose a game someone will come out with it on here. The players body language will be sited "They don't look happy, Puel has clearly lost the dressing room, blah blah blah"

The report that Pulis has paid the £3.77m to Crystal Palace that the High Court decided he wasn't entitled to, plus something like £2m in legal cost, suggests that the fans handing over their money to the football clubs probably don't appreciate just how far the people involved in football have become from those of us who follow the game. The players are continuing to pull up the ladder behind them, clearly unconcerned that the money they stuff in their bank accounts comes from hardworking ordinary people. I've never paid a Sky or BT subscription but I do pay the overpriced cost for admission to matches which is out of all proportion to what was charged 20 or 30 years ago..

Don't worry next time we lose a game someone will come out with it on here. The players body language will be sited "They don't look happy, Puel has clearly lost the dressing room, blah blah blah"

Bertrand had Puel by the throat at the training ground you know. It was on a completely made up football rumours website but it confirms my existing prejudices so I will be swearing blind that it is true.

I recently read an article that a very significant % of premier league players go bankrupt within a few years of retiring.

This article is a couple of years old, but suggests the same thing - upto 40%:

http://www.mindthemoney.co.uk/how-do-premier-league-footballers-go-bankrupt/

If I can be bothered I'll search for the one I read this week (which could have been a rehash of the older article). I find it astonishing that so many of them can get through so much cash in such a short time. Presumably their financial advisors have done well out of them.

Because they're f*cking stupid in what they spend it on. Should be investing in property and then whatever happens with your football earnings, you have places to live and rent from the others coming in to live on.

I think the bottom line is, with a little bit of hindsight (and pushing fans emotions aside), the club (big bad Les) were actually spot on in their decision to let Fonte go. Given the form he's shown at his new club, I'm not so sure that he is a big miss for us. Don't get me wrong, he was a great player for us, but the fact remains (and always will) no player is bigger than the club.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

I think the bottom line is, with a little bit of hindsight (and pushing fans emotions aside), the club (big bad Les) were actually spot on in their decision to let Fonte go. Given the form he's shown at his new club, I'm not so sure that he is a big miss for us. Don't get me wrong, he was a great player for us, but the fact remains (and always will) no player is bigger than the club.

We said the same about Lovren and lallana when they didn't adapt immediately to the new club

We said the same about Lovren and lallana when they didn't adapt immediately to the new club

It's not about adapting, the form might return, although years are not on his side. It's about the money, we were (rightly in my opinion) not willing to meet what he wanted, and therfore opted to let him leave. And for the money we got, let's face it, whether you love Les or not, good business really.

It's not about adapting, the form might return, although years are not on his side. It's about the money, we were (rightly in my opinion) not willing to meet what he wanted, and therfore opted to let him leave. And for the money we got, let's face it, whether you love Les or not, good business really.

I think we would have had a bigger chance of winning the cupfinal if Fonte was still here. It was a risky business to not replace him and could have cost us more than we got. I don't get how fans thinks it brilliant business to let go of an established PL center back in the middle of the season with an upcoming cup final. 8 millions don't get you much in todays market, it will get you a Gardos or Clasie.

I think we would have had a bigger chance of winning the cupfinal if Fonte was still here. It was a risky business to not replace him and could have cost us more than we got. I don't get how fans thinks it brilliant business to let go of an established PL center back in the middle of the season with an upcoming cup final. 8 millions don't get you much in todays market, it will get you a Gardos or Clasie.

For the legs left on him, 8 million for Fonte was good business. We may have had a slightly better chance in the cup final, who knows, (VVD was our big loss) but nobody is going to agree to a new contract package based on what our chances are going to be in a single game, cup final or not. He may be an established centre back but that's not to say that his form wasn't on the wane and he overvalued himself.

Edited by Micky

It's not about whether it was good business or not, it's about whether it was good for the club, and more importantly, the first team. When someone is poisoning the moral of the team, you find a way to let them go and make the best out of it possible. Fonte has done well for us over the years, but make no mistake, the only reason that he stayed with us as long as he did, was not out of loyalty, it was simply because no one showed an interest in him until the summer just gone. Had anyone "bigger" than Saints come in for him, do not for a second think that he would have not wanted to leave.

Fonte is gone, it was the correct thing to happen for all parties. We can now look forward to bloody a terrific prospect in Jack Stephens, and/or buying a new CB in the summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Selling him was the right thing to do, not replacing him adequately was the wrong thing to do, and Reed deserves to take the flack for that in the post mortem regardless of his excuses.