Fonte Joins West Ham - £8m Official

Saints foreva

Im getting annoyed with people saying that Fonte leaving is great business. He probably has three more years in him and he is a top proven PL defender. It could in the end cost us more to loose him now than keep him a bit longer. A replacement as good as he is at this point is not coming cheap, everyone is looking for decent CB these days.

Its sad he wants to leave, especially since its a sideway move and hardly won't get much more money out if it. I wonder what really happened there..

Fonte does not have 3 years at this level. John Terry is 36 and barely gets on the pitch, he was one of the best centre halves in the league on his day.

Fonte does not have 3 years at this level. John Terry is 36 and barely gets on the pitch, he was one of the best centre halves in the league on his day.

You could argue one of the best in the world on his day.... however, he is still an arse.

So Fonte to West Ham to be announced tomorrow, Fonte's replacement........Florin Gardos / Jack Stephens. I have no problem with that, this season I would be happy with staying up and getting to the league cup final. Not a Puel fan but only because of the way he over rotates, if he plays the same team who started against Burnley it would be a step in the right direction. Got to keep the same back 4 and give JRod or Long a regular start.

So Fonte to West Ham to be announced tomorrow, Fonte's replacement........Florin Gardos / Jack Stephens. I have no problem with that, this season I would be happy with staying up and getting to the league cup final. Not a Puel fan but only because of the way he over rotates, if he plays the same team who started against Burnley it would be a step in the right direction. Got to keep the same back 4 and give JRod or Long a regular start.

You should have higher expectations. We came 6th last season so just staying up would be pretty terrible.

You should have higher expectations. We came 6th last season so just staying up would be pretty terrible.
We finished 6th in a mental one off season where Leicester City were champions and Chelsea and Liverpool finished below us....it really was a freak season and it'll probably never happen again.

We finished 6th in a mental one off season where Leicester City were champions and Chelsea and Liverpool finished below us....it really was a freak season and it'll probably never happen again.

Yes, but to just stay up would be quite a drop. Currently teams like Burnley and Bournemouth ahead of us and West Ham who are considered to have had a ****e season.

We were bound to be overtaken by Liverpool, Chelsea and probably Everton but if we finish anywhere beneath about 12th then its not a very good season because some pretty mediocre teams who we were miles better than last year will have overtaken us.

And the seasons before that we finished 7th and 8th. If we are to be 'Happy' with just surviving then I for one am bloody livid. Some of us have ambitions for our club beyond just staying up and surviving, we should never just write off a season and should always be looking to sustain and improve even if not always possible.

It won't when we continually diminish the quality of our side at the same time.

Which would rubber stamp Yoshida's place as part of our first choice CB pairing.

Perfectly happy with that.

Interesting thing to note - Yoshida is only one year older than Fonte was when he first signed for us. Here's to Yoshida progressing just as much from a midtable CB to a top class CB!

So, Fonte is not going to any big 6 teams. He is going to West Ham or West Brom. He is our captain and has been fighting for us since we were in League One and helping us to become Top six and in Europe last year. If he is going to any big 6 teams, for money or for glory and european footbal like Spiderman and Rickie Lambert, I have no complaint. But now he is going to another team which is in the same level as or lower level than us. There should be some problem in us. Is our team only a stepping stone where no one can stay long until retirement? Have we provided good environment or team spirits for players to stay long? Or we are just like a businessman trading players like stocks or animals? Is Fonte in bad relationship with Puel so Puel restrain him from playing european football? Can anyone tell me the reason for Fonte's going?

In any event, his depature from us to a club other than any of the big 6 would demoralize our players. Our players would follow suit once they have "opportunities".

So, Fonte is not going to any big 6 teams. He is going to West Ham or West Brom. He is our captain and has been fighting for us since we were in League One and helping us to become Top six and in Europe last year. If he is going to any big 6 teams, for money or for glory and european footbal like Spiderman and Rickie Lambert, I have no complaint. But now he is going to another team which is in the same level as or lower level than us. There should be some problem in us. Is our team only a stepping stone where no one can stay long until retirement? Have we provided good environment or team spirits for players to stay long? Or we are just like a businessman trading players like stocks or animals? Is Fonte in bad relationship with Puel so Puel restrain him from playing european football? Can anyone tell me the reason for Fonte's going?

In any event, his depature from us to a club other than any of the big 6 would demoralize our players. Our players would follow suit once they have "opportunities".

I got a bit of flak for suggesting the same thing (the trading of players like stocks). I agree with you.

Try reading this thread....

We never never ever ever sell our top players in January. Absolutely no chance we will.

When they do eventually go it is only ever to top 6 clubs.

Two more Southampton Way SFC forum myths dispelled it would seem.

He isn't one of our top players. He's not even the best in his position at the club.

Been a great player for us but it's obviously correct to sell him for the fee being quoted considering his age and willingness to move on. The transfer fee combined with the money saved on his fairly large wages can be put to better use.

Good luck to him, he's been wanting this for a while (he hired Mendes to make him as much money as possible for the rest of his career)

He isn't one of our top players. He's not even the best in his position at the club.

Good luck to him, he's been wanting this for a while (he hired Mendes to make him as much money as possible for the rest of his career)

He's continued to be our captain this year unless 'rotated' or until his fall out and is a current European champion. I appreciate your efforts to rewrite and downplay his status to fit the circumstances but he really is / was one of our 'top' players.

He's continued to be our captain this year unless 'rotated' or until his fall out and is a current European champion. I appreciate your efforts to rewrite and downplay his status to fit the circumstances but he really is / was one of our 'top' players.

Not re-writing history at all. He was a very important player for us a couple of years ago, he isn't anymore.

Not re-writing history at all. He was a very important player for us a couple of years ago, he isn't anymore.

Unfortunately he is still a class defender..reads the game better than anyone, including Van Dijk..that is why Portugal stopped leaking goals in the summer. Those thinking Yoshida can be a 1st choice are either wearing red and white specs or simply know little about defending

We never never ever ever sell our top players in January. Absolutely no chance we will.

When they do eventually go it is only ever to top 6 clubs.

Two more Southampton Way SFC forum myths dispelled it would seem.

Being that Les very specifically said we would sell Fonte this January if we get an acceptable bid about a week ago, I'm not sure what amazing discovery of hypocrisy you think you've uncovered. Maybe you should just pay more attention.

Unfortunately he is still a class defender..reads the game better than anyone, including Van Dijk..that is why Portugal stopped leaking goals in the summer. Those thinking Yoshida can be a 1st choice are either wearing red and white specs or simply know little about defending

Of course he's a good player. The margins are so small in professional football though, between great and good and not good enough. If his full motivation is gone, that can rapidly lead to that 5% decline from great to 'okay'. This doesn't mean he's not a great defender anymore; it just means he can't be that for us anymore.

Being that Les very specifically said we would sell Fonte this January if we get an acceptable bid about a week ago, I'm not sure what amazing discovery of hypocrisy you think you've uncovered. Maybe you should just pay more attention.

I think even you realise the forum has been operating for more than a week. I'm sure you definitely weren't one of those who said we don't sell in January.

Ah, an expert on defending speaks up. Are you a coach or are you just pontificating like the rest of us?

The biggest difference that I see between the two is speed. Yoshida was ranked in some paper as 11th fastest in the league. Fonte is glacial by comparison and as a result often can grab a player as they pass. I also think Yoshida is better with his head. He may not read the game as well and he may make more misplaced passes, but Fonte hasn't been great this season. You can look back at what he did for his country if you want, but that does not make a difference to Saints.

Is it confirmed that we are replacing him from within or are people just assuming that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not confirmed anywhere I've seen. 2+2 = 5 kind of stuff but if we had to go with VVD, Yoshi, Stephens & Gardos (if he can stop tripping over match sticks) then so be it. Personally I'd like to see a more experienced CB brought in but this window is not always the best to be getting value for money.

When a player leaves or will leave SFC his quality drops 80% effective immediately.....

All part of the SWF grieving process

Important player a couple of years ago? You lost credibility there.

Seems like an on-going theme when a player leaves.. "naah he wasn't that good anyways". Happened when Pellé, Wanyama and even Mané left.

If the club don't fint an appropriate replacement, Fonte leaving will be a huge blow..

Of course he's a good player. The margins are so small in professional football though, between great and good and not good enough. If his full motivation is gone, that can rapidly lead to that 5% decline from great to 'okay'. This doesn't mean he's not a great defender anymore; it just means he can't be that for us anymore.

Ah, an expert on defending speaks up. Are you a coach or are you just pontificating like the rest of us?

The biggest difference that I see between the two is speed. Yoshida was ranked in some paper as 11th fastest in the league. Fonte is glacial by comparison and as a result often can grab a player as they pass. I also think Yoshida is better with his head. He may not read the game as well and he may make more misplaced passes, but Fonte hasn't been great this season. You can look back at what he did for his country if you want, but that does not make a difference to Saints.

Good posts. Agreed

Hmmm - him and Toby did work well together with Wanyama playing in front. If Vertonghen (sp) is out for the foreseeable then it could work out but I'm not sure Spurs will want to offer a 3 year contract for exactly the same reasons as us.

He lunges in a lot for one of (presumably) Europe's best readers of the game...

Not sure why people have to pretend they are not bothered about someone who has been a fundamental part of the spine of our team for many years leaving. Or that he is no longer any good or an important player for us. That's just ludicrous but by SWF standards I'm not really surprised.

Not sure why people have to pretend they are not bothered about someone who has been a fundamental part of the spine of our team for many years leaving. Or that he is no longer any good or an important player for us. That's just ludicrous but by SWF standards I'm not really surprised.

Nope, its more that a) is there much point in getting too bothered about something you have no affect on and b) that football is such an unattractive business when it comes to money. But then, I am sure that others are less ambivalent than me for very different reasons.

Players do not go on forever and this season Fonte has been fairly average. I think 9 million and the saving on wages is a brilliant deal and will enable us to invest in a younger long term prospect either now or in the summer.

Fonte has been a great player for us but has clearly wanted out for some time now. Good luck to him, I'm glad we're getting a good fee for him and it's the right time to sell

Players do not go on forever and this season Fonte has been fairly average. I think 9 million and the saving on wages is a brilliant deal and will enable us to invest in a younger long term prospect either now or in the summer.

Fonte has been a great player for us but has clearly wanted out for some time now. Good luck to him, I'm glad we're getting a good fee for him and it's the right time to sell

Exactly this...

Heart is sad that he's leaving but head says it's sensible.

Very similar to Lambert, however I feel Lambert left in a slightly better way (no massive fall out with the club ect...).

It's like a romantic relationship: it only works as long as each party wants to be with the other. As soon as the love from one side is gone, it's not a good idea to stay together much longer.

Exactly this...

Heart is sad that he's leaving but head says it's sensible.

Very similar to Lambert, however I feel Lambert left in a slightly better way (no massive fall out with the club ect...).

See this is the bit I don't get - I think he has acted quite well. Not many put a transfer request in nowadays - well not our recent departures anyway. And what is the massive fall out you speak of? Fonte wants a longer contract than what the club is prepared to offer.