Fonte Joins West Ham - £8m Official

Saints foreva

League One average salary is only about £70k, I think. Hardly stellar for a 15 year career or enough to set yourself up for life. Console yourself with the knowledge that you won't end up as some washed out has-been!

Where's that figure from? I know lads in the conference earning £2k per, and lads in the conference south just a little less. League 1 wages must be much more you would think.

The average is 70k - given the size of the club, we were probably paying much more than the average. Although, as the following season showed, that team was too good for League 1 and indeed even the Championship.

However, in League 2, a huge massive club who wear blue are probably paying over the odds for their players but are bang average. Lol.

Thanks been busy. Surprisingly Fonte wants to finish his footballing career at Saints - Les thinks otherwise

So this all about Fonte (or his agent) trying to get a better deal?

I know Les can be prone to hyperbole in his interviews ( best midfield in the PL ?) but to outright lie and say they offered Fonte an pay raise and an extension, in a public interview, if its not true seems a risk not worth taking.

I know Les can be prone to hyperbole in his interviews ( best midfield in the PL ) but to outright lie and say they offered Fonte an pay raise and an extension, in a public interview, if its not true seems a risk not worth taking.

Not necessarily mutually exclusive - Fonte could want a Kelvin Davis type deal - where we stupidly carried on paying him long past when he could contribute to the team.

Not necessarily mutually exclusive - Fonte could want a Kelvin Davis type deal - where we stupidly carried on paying him long past when he could contribute to the team.

True. So this is a "Fonte want's to finish his career at saints" thing as long as that's a 5 year deal on 100k a week? and the transfer request is a clumsy attempt to get a better deal?

I assumed when he handed in his transfer request a bid from another club would be hot on its heels because he had a move already lined up.

This is what it is about..as I said here:

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?57504-Virgil-to-sign-for-everyone!&p=2434697#post2434697

The reality Virgil is 25 Fonte is 33.

Fonte asking for £100K a week?... no idea where that came from.

The thing I that I struggle to understand about this is that if the above is true it suggests the club thinks they can keep VVD for a period beyond this summer which, unless a large number of things drastically change (our form, our ability to spend, bigger clubs form, bigger clubs ability to spend) then I just don't see it. So ditch Fonte to keep VVD happy for 6 months and then he leaves as well? Sounds silly to me. Or maybe VVD would be willing to stay for longer - but given he changed agent a month ago I doubt it.

Here's the answer (much lower than I thought in all honesty);

Last season, average basic pay in the Championship was £324,250 per player per year, before appearance money and bonuses, while it was £69,500 in League One and £40,350 in League Two. In the Premier League, first-team average salaries were around £1.7million last season, rising above £2m with 'routine' bonuses

Sounds about right, although I expect those are mean figures and therefore slightly skewed by the very highest earners. Subsequently, id expect a lower median figure.

Did not see this coming, i follow saints from argentina since pocche's team, and the best players from that team left, the only one who stayed is fonte, though he is not at the best level, it would be great to keep our captain.

Welcome to Saints! You must be our only Argentinian supporter!

We did have a player called the Torpedo once who was from your homeland - Arias somebody.

Federico Arias, from Velez Sarsfield.

The Torpedo! There was a ittle bit of hype when he signed him then he sunk with out trace! and don't forget to add Marcelo Sarmiento to our list of failed Argentine players, we don't do so well with South Americans!

Sort of ties in with something I've heard. Not sure how reliable the source is though

The bookies odds are just because of idiots betting based on the back of no source rumours I can't see him going to Palace it would be such a massive climb down from him and would reek of chasing the last pay check which is something he has seemed keen to avoid!

I know Les can be prone to hyperbole in his interviews ( best midfield in the PL ?) but to outright lie and say they offered Fonte an pay raise and an extension, in a public interview, if its not true seems a risk not worth taking.

Is it not feasible that a pay rise OR an extension was offered . Not both combined as Les implies ?

Personally Les is well known for lying through his teeth . Seems odd that Fonte denies what Les is saying .

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Is it not feasible that a pay rise OR an extension was offered . Not both combined as Les implies ?

Personally Les is well known for lying through his teeth . Seems odd that Fonte denies what Les is saying .

Has he denied it? I've not seen anything from him since the news came out last week?

I only saw his post on Instagram saying he wasn't being offered a new contract at the start of the season...?

I can't decide who is telling the truth but either way the situation is hardly showering anyone with sunshine, would much rather the club and player conducted the whole business behind closed doors and either announced he was staying and happy or sold him this messing about helps nobody. I can't help but agree with those saying Fonte has been badly advised he seems to be burning his bridges at Saints with no prospect of a big move or any move for that matter, he's probably still ****ed that he didn't get to go to united in the summer but maybe for the good of his career he should have sucked it up and signed what saints were offering! If he spends the rest of this season rotting in our reserves his stock will have fallen so far he'll be lucky to get out of here before his contract is up and will be looking at a Palace or lower type scenario!

Agree, especially if he's being as disruptive as rumored.

I heard it's either VvD or Fonte who leaves and it's not going to be VvD.

What have people heard/rumours? Any meat to the bones?? What was MLT's tweet about him not behaving like a captain about???

Do you have some examples of Reed lying through his teeth? I can't think of any.

Has been a steady player for us particularly the last three seasons. Had a few dodgy games in the Championship and in our first season back. We can only speculate on how true the various stories and rumours that are coming our of St Mary's are. Thanks Jose but obviously something is not right and/or you have had a better offer and its time for both parties to move on.

What have people heard/rumours? Any meat to the bones?? What was MLT's tweet about him not behaving like a captain about???

Fonte's attitude has definitely changed since the Euros. Apparently him and VvD don't get on which was a surprise to me and VvD has just had a baby and his other half doesn't want to go anywhere meaning VvD isn't going anywhere.

This is defamatory. I challenge you to give a few examples.

And what do you mean by beginning that sentence with "personally". It doesn't make sense.

Well Technically both Les and Fonte could be telling the truth.... It could have gone:

Agent walks into Les's Office.....

Agent: Fonte is too good for you. He's been chatting to his new mate Christiano all summer. Christiano has been telling him how good things are at Madrid, he deserves better than this place.

Les: But we have boats, just like Monaco

Agent: I don't care, we're leaving! He deserves better

Les: Well how about we give him a bit of a rise and another year

Agent: Don't bother. Manchester United are interested!

So Technically, he's been offered an improved contract, but as it was never "Formal" Fonte's side don't consider it an "Offer"

My take on the issues of whether or not an extension is as follows...

Fonte has a contract until a certain time (Summer 18?) which also has a clause saying it can run for another 12 months. Presumably this clause can only come into play should certain conditions be met, whether that be as simple as both parties wanting to execute it, or if it be more complicated than that I, dont know.

Having listened to the Reed interview carefully, it sounds as though he is saying that the offer of that particular extension remains. The post that Jose made, saying they here had been no new offer, could be referring to a lack of an additional extension on top of the one already agreed in the contract.

It is quite possible to, say, play for Chelsea whilst living in the Southampton area. Because of cars and trains.
That is true, which may come into force next season but he's not going anywhere in Jan and I don't think he will next season either. Things change though.