Fonte Joins West Ham - £8m Official

Saints foreva

Sad day, he's been great for us, as Saints have been for him. Would he have his medal if he stayed with Palace all those years ago? I doubt it.

Would have loved to see him finish his days at SMS, but we move on..

Don't want to judge the bloke too much, but it's been evident since the summer that something was amiss. Please don't flog him to the scousers, China will do nicely.

Ta for the memories Jose.

If he did put a request in or if the club made him put it in writing, then great. One thing that ****es me of with the modern player is the lack of a request. They agitate for a move , informally say they're leaving , but won't request a transfer as it'll cost them their " loyalty bonus ".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The latest rumour is that someone very high up at our club is shall we say being economical with the truth yet again about a player he wants to sell in an attempt to push him out and that in reality Fonte has not handed in a transfer request at all.

SOurce?

He was on the bench in Milan - He is cup tied

He is not cup-tied. He was on the bench in some of our home games as well, it makes no difference, only cup-tied if he actually plays. All part of the game we have been playing since the Summer, its been so obvious that Jose has wanted out. It beggars belief that some seem shocked now. Of course the cup-tied bit became a little less important as the season went on when it looked like ManU would be out as well but they are still in though Mourinho doesn't seem that interested in the EL or Fonte any more for that matter. May be he has since been sounded out by Chelsea, Man City or Arsenal though (personally doubt any of them would want or need him but stranger things have happened). Think its possible that Fonte may have missed the boat and now might find himself hung out to dry unless he has an offer from China or Benfica (if the former he better hope they don't impose the crackdown on spending they have threatened on Chinese clubs).

Money. HTH.

Money money money he is looking for £100k+ a week plus a signing on fee etc home and importantly his agent will massively top up there retirement pots remember Jose hasn't had a 10 year top flight career so while obviously he is loaded in footballer terms he could have more. Fair play to the lad he is taking care of himself and his family at an age when he could be finished in 12 months.

Surely not money- last thing I would have thought as to why Fonte wanted to go.

I think he wants to leave for more success, and is probably prepared to sit on the bench like Morgan did to collect any trophy- at the end of the day Morgan still has an FA Cup Medal to his name even if he is a 'failure'.

Same this season too, if Liverpool or United win the League Cup- then Morgan OR Lallana/Clyne/Lovren add to their trophy count.

Edited by nta786

Really, when you get down to it footballers are little boys pretending to men:

Undermining the manager.

Getting Bertrand to do the same.

Player denies contract is on the table, club says the opposite etc etc. Only thing I can recall on the record is stating VvD is the better player (which he clearly is.)

Where's this MLT evidence or is it something he's said to someone off the record?

I don't think Jose is going anywhere in the prem for big money. I always thought he struggled for a while upon promotion though to be fair he didn't have a great partner.

I can see Everton or some other mid table ****e but I'd be surprised if he goes to proper big club. After all, they can spend anything they like.

Also this bother me: How come Toby, that C Lovren etc got snaffled up so quickly and Jose didn't? Is it because he was doing the quiet stuff and going unnoticed or is it that Virgil, Toby etc actually do a lot of the hard stuff? I don't know.

We don't need a player who has burnt their bridges but until we hit 40 points this year I'm going to be nervous. Bad timing.

We should have let him go in the summer.

For years He has watched his team mates leave for bigger and better things year after year so why then would he not expect, when the opportunity came, to be allowed to leave as well?

Coupled beyond that with the most bizarre squad rotation ever which ensures we hardly ever have our strongest team on the pitch at the same time..why would he not be ****ed and play up? At least Poch and RK played the strongest team they could in the league and sacrificed the cups rather than play a weakened side every game.

I don't think his behaviour (if what's being "leaked" is right) could be deemed as acceptable but I can see why he would be totally out of love with the club right now. At least he has the balls to hand in a transfer request and suffer any financial penalties associated with that action, unlike some others who have left.

I just hope he doesn't go to the scousers.

I did post when Utd were first interested that i'd been told his head had been turned. Seems that info was correct.

Well no because United quite clearly aren't interested. I'd suggest if people want ITK or correct info and an idea of what's been going on they might want to look back at some of my posts on this situation.

If you watched his exploits in the summer at the Euro's he seemed surprisingly more chummy with the Portugese golden boy than most of the other players, so it's hardly a surprise if his heads been turned. And if it has, at his age he must realise there ain't much sand left in the career hour glass.

Quoting what I said in the "From what i've been told" thread before this news broke

Time for Fonte to go then. He's always had a bit of arrogance to him (watch the SKD testimonial locker room speech) and this was before his Euro's win. He must be unbearable now. Great player for us but now that he thinks he's too good for us we should reward his service with a move of his choosing.

My take on the situation. Fonte and VVD have had a big falling out. The club has to choose between 1 or the other and are choosing to keep the better player with the brighter future happy. Goodbye Jose. He once had a punch up with Osvaldo, now Fonte has become Osvaldo.

Can you blame him? A player that's been with us since league 1, captained the side to getting into the Europa league only to be benched?! Good luck Fonte and thank for the memories.

Maybe he was benched because he told the club he wanted to leave when he got back from the Euros in the summer...

I'd like to know what was said in the 2 hour meeting between Fonte, Van Dijk and Bertrand when the 3 of them stayed behind at St Mary's after the West Brom game.

I saw Van Dijk at the front of St. Mary's with family about an hour after the match, and Fonte was at the parking lot signing autographs, so I somewhat doubt that happened.

I think he wants to leave for more success, and is probably prepared to sit on the bench like Morgan did to collect any trophy- at the end of the day Morgan still has an FA Cup Medal to his name even if he is a 'failure'.

Same this season too, if Liverpool or United win the League Cup- then Morgan OR Lallana/Clyne/Lovren add to their trophy count.

He'll end up in China. Don't forget, he joined us for money, why wouldn't he leave for the same.

We should have let him go in the summer.

For years He has watched his team mates leave for bigger and better things year after year so why then would he not expect, when the opportunity came, to be allowed to leave as well?

Coupled beyond that with the most bizarre squad rotation ever which ensures we hardly ever have our strongest team on the pitch at the same time..why would he not be ****ed and play up? At least Poch and RK played the strongest team they could in the league and sacrificed the cups rather than play a weakened side every game.

I don't think his behaviour (if what's being "leaked" is right) could be deemed as acceptable but I can see why he would be totally out of love with the club right now. At least he has the balls to hand in a transfer request and suffer any financial penalties associated with that action, unlike some others who have left.

I just hope he doesn't go to the scousers.

I agree that not playing him in the Europa was bound to cheese him off. Should've played the Inter games plus Sparta at home. Yoshida could've done a job against Burnley for example. Yet Van Dijk who is clearly knackered has to play in all.

I agree that not playing him in the Europa was bound to cheese him off. Should've played the Inter games plus Sparta at home. Yoshida could've done a job against Burnley for example. Yet Van Dijk who is clearly knackered has to play in all.

But it seems he had already told the club he wanted to leave before a european game had been played. So I doubt that's the reason he wants to leave..

Jose has been great for us and I will be sorry to see him go but obviously he wants out and we must let him get on with his life wherever this takes him. It was doubtful, because of his age, if he would have his contract renewed in any case.

Changes agent in Aug15. New contract Oct15. Won Euro16 and contract no longer any good.

Just hope his agent sees him right. I really can't see any top 6 signing him (but what do I know?). So maybe a return to Portugal?? Of course China/USA are there.

How naïve are you? There is no way he we walk into a top 6 team & therefore will not won win trophies.

& why did he join us from Palace - a club in a higher division at the time? ££££££

Ties in with what VFTT has told us

We simply cannot keep decent players, this wont change while Kat/Les are running things

Wow. It took you until response 24 to make your usual Kat and Les are to blame comment!!!!!!Y ou must either be slipping or too busy snagging them off on another thread.

For me he HAS bee a hero to us and a good servant but now wants a big pay day before he has to hang up his boots. The club not only don't want to stand in his way but see it as getting a few quid from him now rather than him just fading away, especially now he wants to go I see both sides of the argument and I'll be sad to see him go but we'll continue. now he'll have to play his sock off as he's in the shop window a la Mane and I'm sure we can get a younger hungrier replacement in

So if it was done on the down low with two of our best players following him he would be a hero?

Ridiculous comment - mine was an observation that there is a way of doing things from both club and player side that doesn't leave such bad feeling, of which Lambert was a good example.

Also, are you seriously suggesting that when Lambert signed for Liverpool, he was influential in persuading Lallana and Lovren to "follow him" as you put it? They would have jumped at the chance regardless of Lambert going there, clearly.

If 70k a week is not enough,then surely only China is available to pay more than that,no top team really need him and they are unlikely to offer him more than a 2 year contract....China will pay him £100-150k a week and he gets that last big pay day.

Ridiculous comment - mine was an observation that there is a way of doing things from both club and player side that doesn't leave such bad feeling, of which Lambert was a good example.

Also, are you seriously suggesting that when Lambert signed for Liverpool, he was influential in persuading Lallana and Lovren to "follow him" as you put it? They would have jumped at the chance regardless of Lambert going there, clearly.

Are you suggesting that it had no influence at all?

Also neither are hero or villain to me just people who have played for Saints but if Lambert had represented SFC at the world cup I would hold him in higher regard but he didn't.

Edited by cellone

I think Fonte's been great for us with his standards falling off this season. There were rumours Man U are after him in which case good business for the club and player. Shame it has to happen with a public falling out. As John Motson said he does seem to get away with some refereeing decisions - my favourite when he clearly kicked Aguero in the box and Aguero got booked for diving! Also for the answer to the question which saints player has won the johnstone paint trophy and the euros?

Yoshida has the bed pass completion rate? Didn't see that coming. Seems there isn't much between Yoshida and Fonte on those stats.

It just shows that stats can be misleading. Yoshi has at least one mistake in him every game. Is there a stat for 'gets turned inside by Matt Phillips leading to a goal'?

It just shows that stats can be misleading. Yoshi has at least one mistake in him every game. Is there a stat for 'gets turned inside by Matt Phillips leading to a goal'?

Indeed they can. He could be making 1 yard passes to Cedric, VvD, Forster, Romeu and Bertrand all game.

Not wrong about the midfield, lack of goals or the team selection. I don't think Fonte needs to undermine the manager, Puel is doing a pretty good job with his tactics. The scary thing in the second half of the season everybody knows our limitations and we may well pay a heavy price for our limitations and tactics. If Fonte is having a go about it he's spot on. We need a big change PDQ.

You are so right Derry and if no one sees that after the Christmas of failure 2016, a lot of white sticks are required. It's not all about the money, it's pride as well and so what if he has felt pride and passion playing for Southampton. I think he has been loyal. He's 33, so what, some of the Portuguese defence in 2016 euros were 39+ admittedly, they didn't play well. Jose Fonte turned the Portugal defence around in the euros. Prior to the Euros not many Portuguese had heard of JF as he didn't play for the big clubs, they have now though.

A good servant, understand he wants to move on in a last 'big' move, but we will get no more than £5m from a Premier League Club and he will be playing in the occasional PL game and the occasional FAC Cup tie against lower league teams.

To test his commitment I would select him on Saturday at Norwich, so see if he refuses to play, now that would intensify the negativity a little!

He's wanted to leave since the summer but has played with full professionalism all season.

That's the thing up for debate though, isn't it? None of us here can know for sure, it's all just rumours. But it's exactly his professionalism that's being questioned (by, for example, Le Tissier). Just showing up and playing the games isn't quite enough, especially not when you're the captain of the team.

Of course he won't refuse to play. What would he win with that? I can see the club not wanting to use him if they feel he's not motivated, but that's another thing.

He's wanted to leave since the summer but has played with full professionalism all season. I highly, highly doubt he'd refuse to play.

Agree with this, in terms of on-pitch effort.

Whatever has been going on he has still been committed and passionate on the pitch. I haven't seen any lack of effort, even if his performances aren't perceived to be as good as they were last season. Off the pitch, who knows?

A good servant, understand he wants to move on in a last 'big' move, but we will get no more than £5m from a Premier League Club and he will be playing in the occasional PL game and the occasional FAC Cup tie against lower league teams.

To test his commitment I would select him on Saturday at Norwich, so see if he refuses to play, now that would intensify the negativity a little!

if the club play him his transfer value will go down and so I doubt the club are willing to do that

I can't see why he would be that annoyed at not playing in the Europa league. Fonte gets to play against the likes of Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal etc. Every weekend, if he can't allow Yoshi a game against a second rate Inter Milan side, he really is too big for his boots.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38465052

With Ronaldo and Jose sharing the same agent, I'm not at all surprised to hear that he may well be looking at some "better" financial options.

Sad to see things pan out this way, but no great surprise. Hopefully though things will get resolved sooner rather than later and he will get a decent send-off if he leaves. Then of course the challenge will be to find a replacement.