New captain?

Bad Wolf

Davis or VVD, however if VVD wants to leave too it may well be someone like Prowsey the way the club is being run at the moment.

I would want one of the young Saints fans from the youth team, think it'll be better for the club in the long term to have some one who loves the club being captain. I like VVD he will probs get it, but with his future not being 100 % it dont make sense to make some one captain who might be gone by start of next season any way.

I would Love prowsey or maybe Sims / Reed / Mcqueen just any 1 really that is Southampton FC at heart, But Prowsey would be first choice out of the youngsters i would say.

VVD would be a great captain, would put him top choice and is currently 2nd choice after Fonte anyway so i think it'll be VVD with Prowsey as Captain in his absence.

I would want one of the young Saints fans from the youth team, think it'll be better for the club in the long term to have some one who loves the club being captain. I like VVD he will probs get it, but with his future not being 100 % it dont make sense to make some one captain who might be gone by start of next season any way.

I would Love prowsey or maybe Sims / Reed / Mcqueen just any 1 really that is Southampton FC at heart, But Prowsey would be first choice out of the youngsters i would say.

VVD would be a great captain, would put him top choice and is currently 2nd choice after Fonte anyway so i think it'll be VVD with Prowsey as Captain in his absence.

Prowse? As captain? Jesus.

In the modern game, no player has one club at heart. They may start out that way, but sooner or later, money takes over and loyalty goes out of the window. They're all mercenaries.

The captain should be one of the first names on the team sheet. JWP hasn't earned the captaincy yet.

I would say he has, he is not our worst Mid this season, he is not the best either ( OR is ), but being captain might raise his game as he will wear the arm band with pride like Steven Gerrard did for Liverpool, JT / Lampard for chelsea.

Prowse? As captain? Jesus.

He does a great job being Captain of England under 21's.

In the modern game, no player has one club at heart. They may start out that way, but sooner or later, money takes over and loyalty goes out of the window. They're all mercenaries.

not always, Only reason why Stven gerrard left liverpool was cause he was told he wouldnt get game time, fair enough reason to move, Same for JT and Lampard, JT turned down huge money to stay at Chelsea, and 1st team football, but he is Chelsea in every way, he loves the club and has always stated so and refused big money to leave even though he might not have got a new contract at chelsea.

Youth players give a team heart, passion and commitment, even more so if they supported the club from childhood, not saying other players dont, as some give 110 % always, but its more common to see more emotion , determination and desire from players who love the club they are playing at.

Do any of them really LOVE Southampton FC at heart? Look at Lallana plus all the other academy lot, they all left when the big clubs and big wages came calling.

I would give it to VVD for the remainder of the season, but like 99.9% of people I don't expect him to be here next season so perhaps it'll go to a player we are yet to sign, a senior player likely to be starting week in week out which I can't see from our current squad. Giving it to JWP would mean he starts every game, and nobody wants that.

Steven Davis perhaps? One of the senior heads and likely to be here next season? Wouldn't give it to a keeper, I like to see a captain issuing orders and leading out on the field.

Do any of them really LOVE Southampton FC at heart? Look at Lallana plus all the other academy lot, they all left when the big clubs and big wages came calling.

It's possible to love Southampton and leave. I'm Saints through and through but would move to a top club if the right moment came along. We all admire the Le Tissiers and Gerrards of this world but we can't demand every player sacrifice their career for the good of a club.

Van Dijk will be captain, but what concerns me is the lack of options if/when he goes. Davis would be okay and Bertrand might have it in him, but your captain and vice-captain can't be the only players in the team with leadership qualities. That said, others might have those characteristics behind the scenes.

I would say he has, he is not our worst Mid this season, he is not the best either ( OR is ), but being captain might raise his game as he will wear the arm band with pride like Steven Gerrard did for Liverpool, JT / Lampard for chelsea.

He does a great job being Captain of England under 21's.

not always, Only reason why Stven gerrard left liverpool was cause he was told he wouldnt get game time, fair enough reason to move, Same for JT and Lampard, JT turned down huge money to stay at Chelsea, and 1st team football, but he is Chelsea in every way, he loves the club and has always stated so and refused big money to leave even though he might not have got a new contract at chelsea.

Youth players give a team heart, passion and commitment, even more so if they supported the club from childhood, not saying other players dont, as some give 110 % always, but its more common to see more emotion , determination and desire from players who love the club they are playing at.

It worked a treat with Adam.

Are you Les Reed? He refers to all other players with their Surname only. You and Reed refer to him as Prowsey. Coincidence? I think not.

JWP is a skate you thicko!

JWP is a skate you thicko!

Thats a tad Harsh......... But true on the former.

That said I did like it when they had that huge billboard on the outside of SMS with his mush on, Pompey lad in Red & White stuck on the outside of our Stadium 20' tall 10' wide........ How do you take that from both sides of the fence.

At the end of the day if he got the armband I would be happy with that, because he is much better than some of the sheep on here make him out to be.

It has to be one of the players Les isn't planning to sell in the next year or so and that doesn't leave many good ones. Even Steven Davis, once he is into his early 30s, will probably be sold, like Lambert, Pelle and Fonte, because it will be seen as a last chance to get a transfer fee for him. Maybe Romeu will be here for 2 more years so possibly him? The revolving door transfer policy may boost a Swiss bank account but it is having a devastating effect on team spirit.

It has to be one of the players Les isn't planning to sell in the next year or so and that doesn't leave many good ones. Even Steven Davis, once he is into his early 30s, will probably be sold, like Lambert, Pelle and Fonte, because it will be seen as a last chance to get a transfer fee for him. Maybe Romeu will be here for 2 more years so possibly him? The revolving door transfer policy may boost a Swiss bank account but it is having a devastating effect on team spirit.

davis is 32.

He is 32 already. What constitutes "early 30s" in your (rather odd) mind?

Really don't know what this thread is about in terms of debate, VvD has already been promised the captaincy, it is probably part of the contract upgrade he signed in the summer. That's why he has been captain on many occasions this season. Steven Davis is backup, but its possible he was a bit disgruntled by VvD's appointment as he was clearly next in line prior to this season. The only other potential skipper material we have at the moment is Romeu.

It's possible to love Southampton and leave. I'm Saints through and through but would move to a top club if the right moment came along. We all admire the Le Tissiers and Gerrards of this world but we can't demand every player sacrifice their career for the good of a club.

Van Dijk will be captain, but what concerns me is the lack of options if/when he goes. Davis would be okay and Bertrand might have it in him, but your captain and vice-captain can't be the only players in the team with leadership qualities. That said, others might have those characteristics behind the scenes.

Cool. I'll say that to my wife if I ever get a better offer :rolleyes:

If you want to be that emotional about it, sure. Like I say, demanding that unconditional commitment from every player good enough to move up is demanding that they sacrifice their career for the club. It would be lovely for us fans, but it's unrealistic and unfair on people who want to test themselves. In some ways I prefer the truth, that players can love or hold warmth for the club and play somewhere else, than the other approach, which is that they're all horrible nasty fakes except Matt Le Tissier. Where's the love in that?

If you treat the club the exact way you treat your wife, I should probably call the cleaners.

Edited by DuncanRG

If you want to be that emotional about it, sure. Like I say, demanding that unconditional commitment from every player good enough to move up is demanding that they sacrifice their career for the club. It would be lovely for us fans, but it's unrealistic and unfair on people who want to test themselves. In some ways I prefer the truth, that players can love or hold warmth for the club and play somewhere else, than the other approach, which is that they're all horrible nasty fakes except Matt Le Tissier. Where's the love in that?

If you treat the club the exact way you treat your wife, I should probably call the cleaners.

What more of a professional test than to stay and work to get the club you love into the top 4?

Plus I'll have you know, when I prepare dinner there's no spillage.

The suggestion by some that JWP should get the captaincy is bordering on insulting. He has been atrocious for 2 seasons straight now and doesn't even deserve a place on the bench, let alone the arm-band. Should he go on to completely change what we've been seeing and start playing well, and putting in good performances, then PERHAPS he could be talked about as a potential starter. But even then he'd need to do it consistently before being considered for captain.

Times must be tough when this kind of suggestion is taken seriously.