Spin Master Reed

Batman

If 130 games as manager in European competition isn't experience... What is?

Stood him in good stead for our European campaign didn't it.

His management in those games was outstanding! Something I think we can all agree on.

Les must be made up with him so far. Successful Euro campaign, fast-flowing attacking football ( the Southampton Way), an excited fanbase and a group of players who are firmly behind the manager he picked and would walk through walls for him.

Great, isn't it? Don't think so.

Stood him in good stead for our European campaign didn't it.

His management in those games was outstanding! Something I think we can all agree on.

Les must be made up with him so far. Successful Euro campaign, fast-flowing attacking football ( the Southampton Way), an excited fanbase and a group of players who are firmly behind the manager he picked and would walk through walls for him.

Great, isn't it? Don't think so.

Did better than the previous year's euro campaign

Not sure about that. When I go, I hope it's quickly and not slow and drawn out.

In my opinion, Koeman with a full pre-season uninterrupted by an international tournament and with a more settled squad did far worse in Europe than Puel did.

Not saying Puel did well by any means, but the pedigree of Sparta and Inter, along with Hapoel Be'er Sheva who are absolutely blitzing their league last time I checked and came from behind to beat Inter in both matches vs. them was greater than that of Midtjyland.

In my opinion, Koeman with a full pre-season uninterrupted by an international tournament and with a more settled squad did far worse in Europe than Puel did.

Not saying Puel did well by any means, but the pedigree of Sparta and Inter, along with Hapoel Be'er Sheva who are absolutely blitzing their league last time I checked and came from behind to beat Inter in both matches vs. them was greater than that of Midtjyland.

Are you serious? Prague and Be'er Sheba were v poor and neither side would survive a season in the Premier league. Puel's experience counted for hee haw and Reed is being crass pointing it out.

(I do agree that Midgetland was poor as well)

Our team selections in Europe were complete pony.

Puel's mistake was starting with J-Rod upfront - if you look at Inter and Sparta away, he missed chances that Austin (sat on the bench at the time) would have nailed.

That's Puel's call, not the players. Don't care WHAT previous Euro Experience he has, he showed tactical naiveity - and Reed's JWP comment? That's on a par with Puel comparing Redmond with Henry.

Sir Les of Reedshire is spinning the public so hard he'll be in Melbourne next week.

How delusional can you get? He must think the fans are mugs.

JWP has improved this season I've said as much a few times before I heard Les say it. That's not the same as saying he is a good player and given some of his previous performances, in seasons gone by, it would have been hard for him to get worse.

Yep. Only those who traveled all that way and paid can truly know the frustration of that performance.

No question that was one of the worst performances we've had in recent memory, but given many are comparing Puel & Koeman, how much worse, if at all, was it than away vs Midtjylland? Both equally inept, but one was pointless possession and the other was aimless long balls.

:lol:

Of course you got to all games home and away no doubt.. and whine

There are all kinds of annoying posters on here, but they're made more annoying by you picking them out and having a go. Some restraint would be much appreciated by the lurkers!

Anyway, Puel is an experienced European manager and Ward-Prowse has improved this year, to my eyes anyway and apparently Reed's.

There are all kinds of annoying posters on here, but they're made more annoying by you picking them out and having a go. Some restraint would be much appreciated by the lurkers!

Anyway, Puel is an experienced European manager and Ward-Prowse has improved this year, to my eyes anyway and apparently Reed's.

Indeed! A particular bugbear is having a go at the opinions of people who actually made the effort to go to far flung games. I consider the frustrations of those who bothered to go to Prague much more valid than some posters on here who prefer to have a go at those opinions when they didn't make the same effort.

Reed saying Leicester are in a relegation battle, which makes us 3 points off a relegation battle? He also boasts about Puels experience in Europe......oh really? It's a very poor weak interview full of holes.
well if they are in a relegation battle then we must be,I would put money on that they will finish higher than us this season. Of course things may change and we start scoring goals, but at present it doesnt look like it.

The club is in turmoil at present and the complacency in the summer window is perhaps coming home to roost.

He doesn't think the fans are mugs, he will have been advised what to say by the PR firm we employ.

Oh really....!? :rolleyes:

My point is more aimed at all the 'expert', ITK, trolling and moronic posts on these and other forums that would give anyone the impression that they would be dealing with mugs.

I put in another thread that the group around my season-ticket seat are without question more positive, loyal, understanding and knowledgeable about matches and the club in general than the impression you would gain from reading this, and similar, forums.

My point is more aimed at all the 'expert', ITK, trolling and moronic posts on these and other forums that would give anyone the impression that they would be dealing with mugs.

I put in another thread that the group around my season-ticket seat are without question more positive, loyal, understanding and knowledgeable about matches and the club in general than the impression you would gain from reading this, and similar, forums.

Not sure where you sit, but if you fancied standing in the Northam then you would get a very different impression. Some of the cavemen who froth at the mouth, turning purple and screaming expletives from the start of the match would open your eyes. Thankfully I sit in the Itchen North for most games so I avoid it.

Indeed! A particular bugbear is having a go at the opinions of people who actually made the effort to go to far flung games. I consider the frustrations of those who bothered to go to Prague much more valid than some posters on here who prefer to have a go at those opinions when they didn't make the same effort.

interesting one this. If one travelled all the way to Prague to watch a lacklustre performance then perhaps youre far more likely to be more ****ed off then one who watched it from the comfort and non-expense of the telly/internet at home. Can understand considering one more of a fan and their opinion about frustrations of performance being more valid but opinions about the policys of rotation etc are actually more likely to be skewed if youve made the effort.

Koeman got us into Europe by finishing 6th in the league.

Not a chance in hell of us getting anywhere near Europe next season under our car crash of a manager.

What I don't understand is that Les has done a hell of a lot of good things for the club. He made a fantastic appointment in Koeman.

Bit he is defending the indefensible here. This is a decent group of players that have played out of their skins for us in previous years. Are we saying the dressing room is wrong and Puel alone is right? I can't see it.

Fair enough but it was the hypo bloke who picked out my post but he does search for me for some reason

Koeman got us into Europe by finishing 6th in the league.

Not a chance in hell of us getting anywhere near Europe next season under our car crash of a manager.

More because this is a "predictable" season than anything else. All the massive clubs are performing. They're 9 points clear for christ's sake. That didn't happen last season, it was all up in the air.

Reed says in his interview that the aim to to consistently be the "best of the rest" and to give Puel time as he's a manager for the future. Why are we so impatient?

Fair enough but it was the hypo bloke who picked out my post but he does search for me for some reason

Don't flatter yourself I haven't posted anything in reply to you in months yet you continue to infect every single thread with the same repetitive nonsense which so many other posters feels just adds to the dross on here from more negative posters. Far from searching for you, you tend to post the same stuff on every topic so it is very difficult not to encounter what you post.

More because this is a "predictable" season than anything else. All the massive clubs are performing. They're 9 points clear for christ's sake. That didn't happen last season, it was all up in the air.

Reed says in his interview that the aim to to consistently be the "best of the rest" and to give Puel time as he's a manager for the future. Why are we so impatient?

Because the football is incredibly boring and most people watch football to be entertained.

Because he's not a manager for the future. Les has got to start looking at himself on this issue. He took a chance with Puel, but it's not working.

This is also the context for his much-maligned Champions League target - that if some of the big clubs slip up, we can be in a position to capitalise. That's a good, sensible aim, even if such an opportunity doesn't any time soon.

From this vantage point it looks like seventh is probably the limit this year. It'll take improvement but it's manageable. Anyone got a link to the interview, by the way?

Perhaps you and your friends could hold up banners saying REED OUT

Dont ake it personally. He needs someone to target and since I don't post so often nowdays he seems to have chosen you now. As I said before, he is like herpes and is impossible to shake off.

As for the OP. Poor old Batman is clearly missing Pelle so has now turned his guns onto Reed and Puel. He is another one who is only happy if he has someone to have a pop at.

I have been a Saints fan for 50 years and in all that time this is the most sustained period of relative success that I can remember. The last seven years have been fantastic in terms of growth and the people who run the club have done a great job. You only have to look at the likes of Leeds to see that we have been very fortunate. Even more so when you look at what SISU have done to Coventry City. And to think that there were many here desparate for SISU to take us over! At the start of the season many were saying they would be happy with mid table and a good cup run. Guess what, we are having a good cup run and are mid table. Yet still the knives come out. I recall many people calling for Koeman's head at the mid stage last season. Fortunately they didn't get their way. We are not Real Madrid, Barcelona, Chelsea or Man City. We are a medium sized club who have found a good operating model that looks to sustain rather than go for broke. Prudent and pragmatic doesn't seem to fit some posters agenda but it is better than what we have had and it has worked so far. If you want the club to throw money at success then you are supporting the wrong club and your blood pressure will be better served if you went elsewhere. Personally I prefer Reed's "spin" to much of the wrist slitting crap on here. There is clearly an element here who seem to get some kind of perverted pleasure out of finding things to moan about. Many short memories I suspect!

Dont ake it personally. He needs someone to target and since I don't post so often nowdays he seems to have chosen you now. As I said before, he is like herpes and is impossible to shake off.

As for the OP. Poor old Batman is clearly missing Pelle so has now turned his guns onto Reed and Puel. He is another one who is only happy if he has someone to have a pop at.

I have been a Saints fan for 50 years and in all that time this is the most sustained period of relative success that I can remember. The last seven years have been fantastic in terms of growth and the people who run the club have done a great job. You only have to look at the likes of Leeds to see that we have been very fortunate. Even more so when you look at what SISU have done to Coventry City. And to think that there were many here desparate for SISU to take us over! At the start of the season many were saying they would be happy with mid table and a good cup run. Guess what, we are having a good cup run and are mid table. Yet still the knives come out. I recall many people calling for Koeman's head at the mid stage last season. Fortunately they didn't get their way. We are not Real Madrid, Barcelona, Chelsea or Man City. We are a medium sized club who have found a good operating model that looks to sustain rather than go for broke. Prudent and pragmatic doesn't seem to fit some posters agenda but it is better than what we have had and it has worked so far. If you want the club to throw money at success then you are supporting the wrong club and your blood pressure will be better served if you went elsewhere. Personally I prefer Reed's "spin" to much of the wrist slitting crap on here. There is clearly an element here who seem to get some kind of perverted pleasure out of finding things to moan about. Many short memories I suspect!

He does not really bother me, bit like a fly annoying you till it gets the swat

Anyway, back to rest of your post, i agree as i have been around for a while too (not quite as long as you though ;) )

With perspective is the way i look at, we are doing ok, nothing more and of course could do lots better but need to just ride it out and wait

for things to improve.

A sensible post (maybe because like you I have been supporting Saints since before the spoiling days of premier league.)

I do have doubts about Puel. I do find some of our attacks frustrating.

But, do people really expect we will improve every year until we win the champions league?

People are moaning about the club talking up where we can finish. At the start of every season the promoted clubs aim to stay up, and just about every other club aims to improve on their last season.

Every season most are disappointed.

We had sxxx Christmas, but spurs are a superb team, (and we started well...).

The reports I heard, not seen any of game, from Everton were we were on top until their goal.

The team that currently sits as best of rest, who we beat at home!

Reading this would think we were bottom and not in cup semi.

And remember Batman hated Pelle and didn't want him to start and described Mane as a "waste of money" last season... so surely didn't feel they needed replacing?

Boufal, Austin and Redmond must seem real bonus!

Have a look how Klopp did with his first 18 games...with better squad!

What I don't understand is that Les has done a hell of a lot of good things for the club. He made a fantastic appointment in Koeman.

Bit he is defending the indefensible here. This is a decent group of players that have played out of their skins for us in previous years. Are we saying the dressing room is wrong and Puel alone is right? I can't see it.

Selective memory there. Go back and read some threads on here from December of last season plenty of people complaining about boring football, players not good enough, Koeman picking the wrong team relegation battles. I'm willing to bet it was the same in the mid winter slump the season before that and there was plenty of people saying the same, when Poch was in charge, when we went of the boil after Christmas three seasons ago. Now given that people also seem to be of the opinion our squad has got worse every summer since Poch and co left it seems strange that people except Puel to be doing a better job than the last two managers that allegedly had better squads and no Europa league group stages to deal with..

Edited by doddisalegend

So what is acceptable to you? What position would you consider ok .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not a glory-hunter, I can assure you of that. I am happy watching decent football with players giving it 100%. Where we finish is where we finish.

We we are getting neither at the moment. I haven't been this p*ssed off with a manager since Ian Branfoot.

I'm not a glory-hunter, I can assure you of that. I am happy watching decent football with players giving it 100%. Where we finish is where we finish.

We we are getting neither at the moment. I haven't been this p*ssed off with a manager since Ian Branfoot.

Agree with that. It's about more than solely league position.

Agree with that. It's about more than solely league position.

So if we lose every game 5-4 playing exciting football and then get relegated you two will have it down as a good season because it was exciting and you were entertained. I always have a nagging doubt that when people say exciting football they mean winning football.

Personally I'll admit I want to see saints win I couldn't give a flying **** how we do it or the style of football I just want us to win. I like to be able to look smug as I walk past the opposition fans after the game and a saints win sets me up for the week. If we lose even if we played like Pep's Barca I still feel ****.

How many games do you go to each season? I am asking because I contend if you spent time, effort and finance actually physically following the team then you would be less blasé about what is going on. It's easy to call those you don't agree with "bed wetters" from the warmth and comfort of an arm chair.