Goalkeeping coach Dave Watson

Nordic Saint

• 3 months later...
Judging from the comments about Fraser Forster on here a lot of our fans have completely forgotten just how good Fraser Forster was before Dave Watson got to work on him. Forster used to be very good.

He done nothing at Celtic to make me think he was any good. One game at Barcelona and then a load of wispy shots from League One failures hitting him in the SPL

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Judging from the comments about Fraser Forster on here a lot of our fans have completely forgotten just how good Fraser Forster was before Dave Watson got to work on him. Forster used to be very good.

Forster was always awful. It's just the defenders in front of him disappeared so he was exposed. He knows this.

Forster was always awful. It's just the defenders in front of him disappeared so he was exposed. He knows this.

Not just defenders. I remember when we had Morgan & Big Vic in midfield we statistically conceded the fewest shots against us.

I don't think the club has had a good keeping coach since David Coles

I think this post is a little over sensationalised but has some interesting points but you, on Coles, have a very good point. Now that’s a blast from the past and he really was a good goalkeeping coach. We miss him.

So you get rid of Watson and replace with Davis.

Hope he’s an upgrade?

Can he be much worse? All the keepers regressed since here. My sons mate works at Norwich and was raving about Gunn to me he has gone backwards.

When he first can he commanded the area and was confident now how many times is he stuck on line not talking to defence?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doesn't Watson do much more than 'coach' our keepers. I'm pretty sure that RH said recently that he did the corner routines where we have looked decent. In terms of keepers coaching, Mccarthy tailed off last season but before that he'd come on massively and Watson has to be due credit for that. Forster was half decent when he arrived, no more than that, and there are strong rumours that his down turn in fortunes are health related rather than anything else.

What's this assessment that he's sh1te based on?

Doesn't Watson do much more than 'coach' our keepers. I'm pretty sure that RH said recently that he did the corner routines where we have looked decent. In terms of keepers coaching, Mccarthy tailed off last season but before that he'd come on massively and Watson has to be due credit for that. Forster was half decent when he arrived, no more than that, and there are strong rumours that his down turn in fortunes are health related rather than anything else.

The volume of goalkeeping mistakes and the deterioration of these goalkeepers the longer they have been here.

The same basis that it was all Eric Blacks vault.

Mongboard mythology

I'm not so sure that the keepers have deteriorated that much (Forster aside perhaps, but get the impression theres something else going on there) more that the quality of defenders and DCM in front of them has worsened. This exposes them to more work and the more often a keeper is faced with shots and other work to do, the more likely it is to see their true ability level. It's pretty clear though that Ralph prefers Gunn to McCarthy and it would seem likely that he will move on, and hopefully Forster too. Moving Watson on too would fit in with the revolution Ralph seems like creating this summer.

The volume of goalkeeping mistakes and the deterioration of these goalkeepers the longer they have been here.

So what/who was the reason for Mccarthy huge improvement? Osmosis? Or Watson?

If he takes the credit then conversely who takes the blame for Forster being so poor ? Watson ?

I think if you look at the goalkeeping position since 2014 none of our youth team have developed into this role, arguably our keepers have been one of our worst positions so it doesn't reflect well.

I don't know enough about the skill set of keeping (sure monk has a view) but we just haven't been great since he joined.

If he takes the credit then conversely who takes the blame for Forster being so poor ? Watson ?

I think if you look at the goalkeeping position since 2014 none of our youth team have developed into this role, arguably our keepers have been one of our worst positions so it doesn't reflect well.

I don't know enough about the skill set of keeping (sure monk has a view) but we just haven't been great since he joined.

yep, let's not forget other supposed young talents we brought in Jack Rose and Harry Lewis- one of them was touted as being the next Joe Hart (albeit only due to the Shrewsbury link), but still, they are both behind Forster- one of them could have been the 3rd choice surely.

Although, in some respect I'm probably being slightly harsh because I presume they're still very young.

No one. McCarthy was a decent keeper before he joined us. He just replaced the hopeless Forster, didn't actually have to improve to achieve that. Unlike Forster Mccarthy is a much more natural keeper, coaching isn't such an issue. Gunn is similar, Watson manages to try to coach them to his ways, and after a while they regress under his influence.

No one. McCarthy was a decent keeper before he joined us. He just replaced the hopeless Forster, didn't actually have to improve to achieve that. Unlike Forster Mccarthy is a much more natural keeper, coaching isn't such an issue. Gunn is similar, Watson manages to try to coach them to his ways, and after a while they regress under his influence.

To suggest Mccarthy's performances after long absences has nothing to do with coaching is just silly. It's only in here where negative performance is down to coaching but that positive performances isn't. Pathetic.

To suggest Mccarthy's performances after long absences has nothing to do with coaching is just silly. It's only in here where negative performance is down to coaching but that positive performances isn't. Pathetic.

What are you on about? Where did I say anything like what you made up there? English comprehension not your strong suit.

Not as yet but K Billy is suggesting he is on his way out with a replacement that will be electric (or something like that)

And will be judged by those on here by their playing career rather than coaching ability