Minutes applause tonight for young Saints fan

Huffton

And we score in the 20th minute. Amazing, you couldn't write that

I liked this.

And then did the applause as well.

Very nice.

Apparently my mum used to work with his father and went for a drink with him and workmates to celebrate the birth.

RIP fella.

From The Guardian:

"There was a spiritual dimension to Southampton’s goal. One of the club’s loyal supporters, Jack Dowding, had died suddenly last Saturday and there had been a campaign – driven on social media – to honour the 20-year-old with applause on 20 minutes. It was difficult not to sense that a higher power was at work because Redmond’s goal came in the 20th minute. As the winger and his team-mates celebrated, there was the uplifting sight of thousands of Saints fans remaining upstanding to applaud Dowding. There was further warmth towards him during a tribute at half-time."

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jan/11/southampton-liverpool-efl-cup-match-report

From The Guardian:

"There was a spiritual dimension to Southampton’s goal. One of the club’s loyal supporters, Jack Dowding, had died suddenly last Saturday and there had been a campaign – driven on social media – to honour the 20-year-old with applause on 20 minutes. It was difficult not to sense that a higher power was at work because Redmond’s goal came in the 20th minute. As the winger and his team-mates celebrated, there was the uplifting sight of thousands of Saints fans remaining upstanding to applaud Dowding. There was further warmth towards him during a tribute at half-time."

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jan/11/southampton-liverpool-efl-cup-match-report

A finer tribute could not have been had, it was a very emotional moment, RIP Jack.

My missus used to share a house and flat with Jack's mum, Maz, I knew Loz (dad) back then too, their only child, wouldn't wish it on anyone. Great tribute tonight and echo what a great response from the Liverpool fans, especially as we had scored.

I hate the 'never your fault' song, think they are the second best fans in the land personally, always great going up there and chatting to them, they know their football and unlike most are very gracious to the end without the patronising putrid bile you get in Manchester or the other side of the park in Liverpool.

My missus used to share a house and flat with Jack's mum, Maz, I knew Loz (dad) back then too, their only child, wouldn't wish it on anyone. Great tribute tonight and echo what a great response from the Liverpool fans, especially as we had scored.

I hate the 'never your fault' song, think they are the second best fans in the land personally, always great going up there and chatting to them, they know their football and unlike most are very gracious to the end without the patronising putrid bile you get in Manchester or the other side of the park in Liverpool.

Very true but the dickheads who started that song and joined in wouldnt know that, probably dont know where Liverpool is.

It was pretty shameful to hear it, fortunately it was pretty well isolated and brief.

"I hope his dad and his family are in tears..."

Bloody hell, didn't phrase that very well did he...

It was touching, but i'll admit to being surprised the club did those tributes at half time. I thought the point of having the "all saints day" was so that they didn't have to risk looking insensitive by doing tributes for one person and not another.